• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpo95 on May 18, 2023, 08:33:27 AM
Is there a running list of all of this year's transfers out of the Valpo program, and where they are headed?
Ben Krikke
Junior
PF
6'9"
235 lbs

Valparaiso

Iowa

Preston Ruedinger
Sophomore
PG
6'2"
185 lbs

Valparaiso

Green Bay

Ibra Bayu
Freshman
SF
6'8"
195 lbs

Valparaiso

Cam Palesse
Sophomore
PG
6'5"
195 lbs

Valparaiso

Canisius

Maximus Nelson
Freshman
PF
6'8"
215 lbs

Valparaiso

Purdue Fort Wayne

VerbalCommits.com shows transfers by school.

David81

Just read Paul's profile of Lual Manyang. Not only is he a big, raw physical talent, but also this is the kind of kid you root for. The injury bug he's had to deal with is the small stuff compared to other challenges he's faced. If he can stay healthy and take these years to develop, then VU could be sitting on a wonderful success story here. Heck, if he turns out to be "just" a decent player who benefits from his time at VU, it'll still be a success story.

78crusader

Coach Powell is by all accounts off to a fine start - but I have to say that whenever a tall recruit's profile includes the words "all he needs is time, reps, and patience" - as is the case with Manyang - my expectation level drops several notches.

Paul

vok22

Quote from: 78crusader on May 18, 2023, 08:45:40 PM
Coach Powell is by all accounts off to a fine start - but I have to say that whenever a tall recruit's profile includes the words "all he needs is time, reps, and patience" - as is the case with Manyang - my expectation level drops several notches.

Paul

I know where you are coming from—but that's also how Vashil was described before he turned into a Valpo great. Most won't turn into Vashil, but having a project with the talent and natural ability that Manyang has on the team is a plus if that's what he turns into. 

VULB#62

Agree.

Raw? yes. Two bad injuries?  Yes. Slow afoot?   Er... no.  Awkward and needing coordination?  Definitely not.

The kid played soccer until he outgrew the game. That translates to stamina, foot agility, jumping capability and spatial awareness. Despite being 6-11, his HS coach described him as running like a deer.  Even if he can't hit the side of a barn from 15 feet (and we don't know that he can't), he already exhibits the speed and agility to protect the rim, block shots, defend opponent bigs, set picks, make kick-out passes when defenders collapse on him, and run the court. Not a bad foundation to start with and (hopefully) four seasons to refine finer points.

I don't know if this is appropriate to say right now, but I see a Vashil 2.0 scenario emerging, and, IMHO, Lual is already at a much higher starting point.

valpotx

I'll take another Vashil potential project any day.  I remember all of the board bashing that occurred with Vashil during his first 2 years, only for those folks to be taking it all back his final 2 years ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

For VU, taking a four-year flyer on very raw but very promising players is one element of the success formula. In the case of Manyang, the additional known quantity is a combination of resilience, grit, and determination. That's a great starting place when considering his overall upside.

I've suggested that VU's situation this spring and summer offers an incredible opportunity for players who are thirsting for a chance to show what they can do if given the chance. The coaching staff now seems to be finding these guys.

tjjvalpo

The starting 5 and playing time is wide open. I don't think there is a single person that we can even pencil in that will be a starter. That is exciting!

justducky

Quote from: tjjvalpo on May 19, 2023, 01:34:25 PM
The starting 5 and playing time is wide open. I don't think there is a single person that we can even pencil in that will be a starter. That is exciting!

Yes it is exciting but it is also unpredictable and terrifying. I wonder how this will translate for ticket sales? It might be more fun watching these guys lose by 15 than watching Matt's teams lose by 8.

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on May 19, 2023, 03:31:39 PM
Quote from: tjjvalpo on May 19, 2023, 01:34:25 PM

Yes it is exciting but it is also unpredictable and terrifying. I wonder how this will translate for ticket sales? It might be more fun watching these guys lose by 15 than watching Matt's teams lose by 8.

Quack Quack

cmack

Quote from: valpotx on May 19, 2023, 03:32:10 AM
I'll take another Vashil potential project any day.  I remember all of the board bashing that occurred with Vashil during his first 2 years, only for those folks to be taking it all back his final 2 years ;)

I don't take a word of it back.  He was absolutely awful for two years. Then he turned a corner.  Then he turned great.  I still say he was terrible for two and great for two.  Can't argue that.

tjjvalpo

Could we be done with undergrad transfers? We have three scholarships left, but at least one of them would have to be used by a player with only one year of eligibility left. Has anyone heard of any grad transfers coming to Valpo for a visit or that have been offered a scholarship?

Or could we be done? Start the rebuilding process in earnest now and just go with 10 scholarship players for next year. Add a couple more Walk ons for practice depth and focus on the 10, give them all meaningful minutes and see what develops.

wh

Quote from: cmack on May 22, 2023, 09:21:55 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 19, 2023, 03:32:10 AM

I don't take a word of it back.  He was absolutely awful for two years. Then he turned a corner.  Then he turned great.  I still say he was terrible for two and great for two.  Can't argue that.

It sounds like 2 different ways of saying basically the same thing and then arguing about it. lol

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tjjvalpo on May 22, 2023, 11:22:39 PM
Could we be done with undergrad transfers? We have three scholarships left, but at least one of them would have to be used by a player with only one year of eligibility left. Has anyone heard of any grad transfers coming to Valpo for a visit or that have been offered a scholarship?

Or could we be done? Start the rebuilding process in earnest now and just go with 10 scholarship players for next year. Add a couple more Walk ons for practice depth and focus on the 10, give them all meaningful minutes and see what develops.

Given Valpo's recent history with injuries, that would be a narrow rope to walk on.

vok22

Quote from: tjjvalpo on May 22, 2023, 11:22:39 PMCould we be done with undergrad transfers? We have three scholarships left, but at least one of them would have to be used by a player with only one year of eligibility left. Has anyone heard of any grad transfers coming to Valpo for a visit or that have been offered a scholarship? Or could we be done? Start the rebuilding process in earnest now and just go with 10 scholarship players for next year. Add a couple more Walk ons for practice depth and focus on the 10, give them all meaningful minutes and see what develops.

There is no reason to NOT pick up a few grad transfers. If they end up sucking, they can ride the bench and help practice. No reason to just sit on 3 scholarships especially when we don't have much veteran presence on our current roster. A lot of our roster is now unproven and/or freshmen. Good to have a large young nucleus that the coaching staff can mold and coach as a unit together, but we do need one or two proven pieces to help that transition. I think we lack that right now.

valpopal

Midnight Wednesday is the deadline players who declared for the NBA draft can decide to return to college, either to their previous teams or to transfer elsewhere. Therefore, the start of June should get interesting as we see dominoes across the country fall beginning Thursday, when final roster openings at the bigger programs are filled and remaining attention shifts to mid-major teams who have kept spots available. Players still in the portal at last will select landing spots like flakes settling in a shaken snow globe.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on May 30, 2023, 08:42:06 AMPlayers still in the portal at last will select landing spots like flakes settling in a shaken snow globe.

With luck maybe a couple of these snow globe flakes can land at Valpo with meteoric impacts instead of injurious thuds.

AB

Clarification for anyone.... Kobe King has used up his eligibility, correct?  He played two years at Wisconsin and two at Valpo? Is he planning on continuing to play basketball in Europe or G league etc..?

elephtheria47

Crazy that we are entering june and we still dont have an idea of who is playing where. There are some knowns but still a lot of unknowns that can create ripples as alluded to above. Toss is the fact that there are still universities that are concerned about credits before automatic admission and we are looking at the end of june. About 3 months after the season but already about 3 months before next season. The portal has some positives but still needs to be tweaked.

tjjvalpo

Somewhere I thought I read that June would likely bring more transfers to Valpo, due the Power Conferences filling out their roster and that Grad Transfers would be more likely to look at higher Mid-Major Conferences for landing spots. Are there any Grad Transfers on Valpo radar that we are courting? It seems like it has been very quiet for a couple of weeks.

wh

VULB#62

Man, it's Saturday evening and I am very thirsty for a 🍸, er, no, any info from Roger on any transfers who might be filling out our roster.

Well, yes, the 🍸 is is still in play. 🙄

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 03, 2023, 06:58:08 PM
Man, it's Saturday evening and I am very thirsty for a [emoji483], er, no, any info from Roger on any transfers who might be filling out our roster.

Well, yes, the [emoji483] is is still in play. [emoji849]
I'm sure they are looking at one or two year players. I seem to recall we didn't get Lubos until August.

Trust

The

Rev

And

His

Process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/22157/manyang-joins-valpo-basketball-program/

247 Sports had him ranked as the #50 center in the class of 2022 and a three star recruit.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Who are the 4 returning players?  Barrett, Palm, DeAveiro and ?
"Don't mess with Texas"