• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 15, 2023, 09:44:29 AM
Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this but our signee, 6'9" Zane Doughty is getting some great recognition!

Just named Marion County Player of the Year.  His Ben Davis team remains undefeated and is playing in the Big School Semi-State Saturday.

You can watch the Ben Davis vs Bloomington North game here Saturday, March 18, 2023 10:00 am CDT / 11:00 am EDT

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=545137
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

It would be great to get a Harvard transfer.

So I can live in San Diego, Santa Barbara?  Or live in Valparaiso from Sept-May?

I am sure there are other factors though.

VUBBFan

Had high hopes for Cam. He seemed to be a good 3 point and overall scorer, based on his high school career and the (20 minutes or so) of playing time at Valpo. Now we will never know.

Dr. T

What evidence do folks have that Cam has demonstrated a need to mature? Honest question on my behalf.

historyman

Quote from: Dr. T on March 15, 2023, 10:12:00 PM
What evidence do folks have that Cam has demonstrated a need to mature? Honest question on my behalf.

My brother heard through the grapevine that Cam was not working hard in practices. Therefore he played very little.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

I'm not going to lie, I'm really surprised Cam's never took off at Valpo. There was a lot of hype when he came in. Wouldn't shock me if he really had a great college career in a new environment.

David81

Quote from: historyman on March 14, 2023, 10:34:59 PM
Quote from: David81 on March 14, 2023, 10:38:18 AMhagiography

You are indeed a scholar, David.

I had to look up this word.

hag·i·og·ra·phy
/ˌhaɡēˈäɡrəfē/
noun
the writing of the lives of saints.
biography that idealizes its subject.
plural noun: hagiographies
"a hagiography which is designed to serve a political agenda"

Historyman, I stand guilty of my own geekdom. I will not contest any suspension of my posting privileges. 🤓

humbleopinion

There are now over 500 division one men's basketball players who have entered the portal. Cam is the only Beacon to submit his intent.

This is pure speculation, but I would surmise that none of the others have the intention of transferring. I presume that the coaching staff hasn't conducted end-of-season interviews, and after those interviews, we'll see more names in the portal.  I've got to believe that it's evident to the staff that the roster is filled with players that cannot contribute nor have the potential to contribute at the MVC level.

The only exception would be Ben -- I would presume that he won't make any decision until he is evaluated by the NBA.
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

I think Krikke's NBA evaluation will be brief - maybe D league at best. I see him competing in a Euro league.

David81

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 17, 2023, 06:40:59 AM
There are now over 500 division one men's basketball players who have entered the portal. Cam is the only Beacon to submit his intent.

This is pure speculation, but I would surmise that none of the others have the intention of transferring. I presume that the coaching staff hasn't conducted end-of-season interviews, and after those interviews, we'll see more names in the portal.  I've got to believe that it's evident to the staff that the roster is filled with players that cannot contribute nor have the potential to contribute at the MVC level.

The only exception would be Ben -- I would presume that he won't make any decision until he is evaluated by the NBA.

So....regardless of who is coaching next season, is the difference between potential mediocrity and a total collapse hinging on whether Krikke stays for another year? Is it that bad???? 😢

historyman

Quote from: David81 on March 17, 2023, 11:31:06 PMSo....regardless of who is coaching next season, is the difference between potential mediocrity and a total collapse hinging on whether Krikke stays for another year? Is it that bad? 😢

With the transfer portal it doesn't have to be but I do think that Lottich has proven in the past few seasons that his working of the transfer portal has not "worked" all that well.

Just Sayin

Quote from: historyman on March 18, 2023, 01:20:43 AM
Quote from: David81 on March 17, 2023, 11:31:06 PMSo....regardless of who is coaching next season, is the difference between potential mediocrity and a total collapse hinging on whether Krikke stays for another year? Is it that bad? 😢

With the transfer portal it doesn't have to be but I do think that Lottich has proven in the past few seasons that his working of the transfer portal has not "worked" all that well.

It is highly unlikely that a player from the transer portal will transfer to a school like Valpo. Yes, many transfer for more minutes, but the really good talent in the pool is going to want to help fill in a gap at a high major school. The picking will be slim and the talent won't be all that good. In desperation, Lottich will probably end up getting problem children who end up not being all that good, or a player who had problems with his prior coach who is happy to see him go. But transfers like Carter from Northern Iowa don't want to come to a low mid-major program. He found Missouri. And he's good. I saw him play when AJ was out for awhile. He was dominant. But Valpo? Not a chance for guys like him, ESPECIALLY NOW.

JD24

The are spots on the roster for Valpo which need a transferring out in order to be replaced by whoever the coach is.....at this point likely Lottich. The fact that Preston Ruedinger is not only on the roster but starting while he was for a time is a fairly negative comment on the makeup of the roster in a "we don't have someone better than him?" fashion. That's just one example.

Keyondre Young will be in the Big East next year, with three years of eligibility left, he knew his worth

usc4valpo

Maybe Valpo should get some experienced D2 transfers - it worked for FDU.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 19, 2023, 08:31:57 AM
Maybe Valpo should get some experienced D2 transfers - it worked for FDU.

I've been reminding us how Kevion Taylor and Nick Edwards both came out of D2. Imagine how good they might've been with an added year, Taylor as a scorer with excellent 3 pt shooting, and Edwards as a passer and defender while (please!) keeping his offensive game more within his wheelhouse. Both have demonstrated that top D2 success can translate into D1 starter/rotation quality contributions.

That alone won't take Valpo to the top of the MVC, but it can be a piece of the puzzle.

usc4valpo

Well, decent coaching would help, too. 

vu72

Maybe Ben will come back knowing he won't have to deal with Rienk Mast, who has entered the portal.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Maybe it's because Valpo has been stung by the transfer bug the last few years, but it's a little surprising to see only one player entering the transfer portal from Valpo's 22-23 Team.

Fingers crossed Krikke stays. I'm wondering when his decision will be finalized and announced. I'm sure he is getting flooding with Coaches trying to contact him through indirect channels behind the scenes trying to recruit him right now.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VU2014 on March 21, 2023, 10:54:21 AM
Maybe it's because Valpo has been stung by the transfer bug the last few years, but it's a little surprising to see only one player entering the transfer portal from Valpo's 22-23 Team.

Fingers crossed Krikke stays. I'm wondering when his decision will be finalized and announced. I'm sure he is getting flooding with Coaches trying to contact him through indirect channels behind the scenes trying to recruit him right now.

I don't know why they wouldn't be calling on him. They can make a much better argument for improving his game and do it while winning. Ben would be a great gap filler for a much better team and facilities. The exposure he will get at a bigger, better school would be good enough reason for transferring.

tiny707

If we pick up Drake transfer Okay Djamgouz(Toronto, CA) and Ben stays our starting five could be all Canadians..

JD24

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 21, 2023, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 21, 2023, 10:54:21 AMMaybe it's because Valpo has been stung by the transfer bug the last few years, but it's a little surprising to see only one player entering the transfer portal from Valpo's 22-23 Team. Fingers crossed Krikke stays. I'm wondering when his decision will be finalized and announced. I'm sure he is getting flooding with Coaches trying to contact him through indirect channels behind the scenes trying to recruit him right now.
I don't know why they wouldn't be calling on him. They can make a much better argument for improving his game and do it while winning. Ben would be a great gap filler for a much better team and facilities. The exposure he will get at a bigger, better school would be good enough reason for transferring.
I've thought a good fit for Krikke would be as a one year replacement for Drew Timme at Gonzaga.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on March 21, 2023, 11:52:30 AM
If we pick up Drake transfer Okay Djamgouz(Toronto, CA) and Ben stays our starting five could be all Canadians..

Dot is practicing her Canadian National Anthem a lot more as of late. Maybe the crowd could learn it and join in more. It's not too difficult. :-)

vu84v2

Quote from: JD24 on March 21, 2023, 11:59:21 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 21, 2023, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 21, 2023, 10:54:21 AMMaybe it's because Valpo has been stung by the transfer bug the last few years, but it's a little surprising to see only one player entering the transfer portal from Valpo's 22-23 Team. Fingers crossed Krikke stays. I'm wondering when his decision will be finalized and announced. I'm sure he is getting flooding with Coaches trying to contact him through indirect channels behind the scenes trying to recruit him right now.
I've thought a good fit for Krikke would be as a one year replacement for Drew Timme at Gonzaga.

Interesting. I would also think that Saint Mary's could be a good fit.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 21, 2023, 12:10:45 PMInteresting. I would also think that Saint Mary's could be a good fit.

Crikey, Krikke is NOT Australian!    :o