• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's speculate about assistant coaches

Started by humbleopinion, April 07, 2023, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. T

I'd love to see Buggs back in the brown & gold.

VU2014

I feel there is a better than 50-50 shot Buggs is in Valpo's coaching staff.

historyman

I've heard through rumors that Luke Gore has sold his house, almost immediately, and is looking for employment in other areas of the country.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Quote from: historyman on April 11, 2023, 07:44:55 AM
I've heard through rumors that Luke Gore has sold his house, almost immediately, and is looking for employment in other areas of the country.

Wow that's a bummer. I understand, but from understanding he was at the ARC on Monday from what I heard. I could see him putting it up for sale but selling the house in 2 weeks is like a fire sale drill.

I was really hoping Coach Gore would stick with Valpo, especially since he has a personal friendship with Coach Powell

valpo64

Can you give us some background on Olinger and Simmons, please?

VUBBFan

There is no real estate listing or sales record of Luke selling or listing his home. So unless he sold it for cash to someone off the street, He and his family is still there.
Quote from: historyman on April 11, 2023, 07:44:55 AMI've heard through rumors that Luke Gore has sold his house, almost immediately, and is looking for employment in other areas of the country.

historyman

Quote from: VUBBFan on April 11, 2023, 06:56:26 PM
There is no real estate listing or sales record of Luke selling or listing his home. So unless he sold it for cash to someone off the street, He and his family is still there.
Quote from: historyman on April 11, 2023, 07:44:55 AMI've heard through rumors that Luke Gore has sold his house, almost immediately, and is looking for employment in other areas of the country.

I'll be making some phone calls but won't be able to name sources.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUBBFan

Quote from: historyman on April 11, 2023, 07:04:12 PM

This is not to say they are not thinking of doing it or are perhaps preparing in anticipation of (it would make sense to prepare). I'm Just saying not at this moment in time it's been done (house sold)

VU2014

Carson would be a really interest Coach to add to the the staff as a special assistant to the head coach. Carson has a lot of head coaching experience to advise Roger. He's also a Region native and very well connected to the NWI coaching circles for recruiting...

https://twitter.com/carsonjames43/status/1645908949592588291?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

Just Sayin

Quote from: VU2014 on April 11, 2023, 08:00:50 PM
Carson would be a really interest Coach to add to the the staff as a special assistant to the head coach. Carson has a lot of head coaching experience to advise Roger. He's also a Region native and very well connected to the NWI coaching circles for recruiting...

https://twitter.com/carsonjames43/status/1645908949592588291?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

Seriously?

https://twitter.com/GregLuca/status/1645900989868679168

tiny707

After coach said today that his assistants will be bringing players, following is my guess of coaches:
1.) Matt Olinger from Virginia Tech. Have two players in portal.
2.) Luke Simons from Baylor. Have four players in portal. Some from Ohio.
3.) Erik Buggs.
4.) Sasha for grad assistant. Brings Brandon.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on April 12, 2023, 11:59:12 AM
After coach said today that his assistants will be bringing players, following is my guess of coaches:
1.) Matt Olinger from Virginia Tech. Have two players in portal.
2.) Luke Simons from Baylor. Have four players in portal. Some from Ohio.
3.) Erik Buggs.
4.) Sasha for grad assistant. Brings Brandon.

I know nothing of Olinger and any Virginia Tech student athletes.

I'm not sure Baylor players would transfer to Valpo no matter how much Scott praised the school and it's atmosphere.

Buggs is a good possibility

I don't believe Sasha or Brandon believe Valpo is on their level at this time. Maybe in the future but not at this time.

Just Sayin

Quote from: historyman on April 11, 2023, 07:04:12 PM

https://twitter.com/toddickow/status/1646135299011928065?s=61&t=rvVIRCc0Iy1MgHjjNd30UA

4throwfan

As much as I hate to see Coach Gore go, I have to think that this would probably be the best thing for him.  He likely needs to be around other coaches and systems in order to grow.

He has been an awesome ambassador, and I truly wish the best for him and his family.

tiny707

Well, after hearing the Father Harry podcast, Coach Powell mentioned one of his assistants knows the MVC. The only guy I can think of would be Dodie Dunson II. Played at Bradley. Current WBB assistant at UIC. We will see....

JD24

Quote from: 4throwfan on April 12, 2023, 07:30:11 PMAs much as I hate to see Coach Gore go, I have to think that this would probably be the best thing for him.  He likely needs to be around other coaches and systems in order to grow. He has been an awesome ambassador, and I truly wish the best for him and his family.
As do I.

Having said that, there is usually a time to clean and start over and this is it from my vantage point for Valpo.

wh

Quote from: JD24 on April 13, 2023, 12:58:15 PM
Quote from: 4throwfan on April 12, 2023, 07:30:11 PMAs much as I hate to see Coach Gore go, I have to think that this would probably be the best thing for him.  He likely needs to be around other coaches and systems in order to grow. He has been an awesome ambassador, and I truly wish the best for him and his family.
As do I.

Having said that, there is usually a time to clean and start over and this is it from my vantage point for Valpo.

It didn't start this way, but by the end the only recruits I heard Luke's name connected to were Canadian. Bowen was the small town Wisconsin guy. Matt had an apparent connection to Europe that went back to his playing days. Basically, that's it.

The European and Canadian recruits were unknown, unrated quantities where evaluation was made primarily from watching game videos. Wisconsin? Nice idea, but it soon became painfully obvious why small town WI is not considered a recruiting hot bed in the MVC. The icing on the cake was the inability to land even 1 D-1 transfer from the portal last year. A total disaster.

I wish them all luck in their future pursuits, but I hope that someone close to them who truly cares has the courage to kindly suggest that they may want to consider a lower level of college bb, or even a complete career change. No one can pretend to be something they're not forever.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: wh on April 13, 2023, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: JD24 on April 13, 2023, 12:58:15 PM
As do I.

It didn't start this way, but by the end the only recruits I heard Luke's name connected to were Canadian. Bowen was the small town Wisconsin guy. Matt had an apparent connection to Europe that went back to his playing days. Basically, that's it.

The European and Canadian recruits were unknown, unrated quantities where evaluation was made primarily from watching game videos. Wisconsin? Nice idea, but it soon became painfully obvious why small town WI is not considered a recruiting hot bed in the MVC. The icing on the cake was the inability to land even 1 D-1 transfer from the portal last year. A total disaster.

I wish them all luck in their future pursuits, but I hope that someone close to them who truly cares has the courage to kindly suggest that they may want to consider a lower level of college bb, or even a complete career change. No one can pretend to be something they're not forever.

If this is accurate and two of the assistants were primarily focusing on Canada and Wisconsin, it's no wonder the last staff performed the way it did. That's inexcusable for a program trying to compete in the Missouri Valley.

tiny707

Wonder if Brad Korn would come to Valpo as an assistant. Successful HC experience and only making 200K. Knows MVC.

Just Sayin

It seems obvious to me that Powell is going to hire who he wants, select people who he already knows, and is not checking the fan board for recommendations.

crusadermoe

Makes you wonder what size budget he got for assistant hires.  Hope it was enough to win in the MVC. 

tiny707

The name of this thread is call let's speculate not let's recommend assistant coaches. I would not shocked if some of the names mentioned end up the bench. I think he will tap into his Vanderbilt days and Baylor connection. Not sure if a Valpo connection will end up on the bench. The coach with MVC experience is the one I am stumped with.

crusader05

Yeah I don't know whether to assume it's an older head coach or maybe an assistant? A couple who popped up are currently in pretty good second in command jobs at other programs that I can't see leaving them leaving for anything that's not a head job.

I thought maybe someone from Porter's crew at Loyola but can't find someone that would match.

4throwfan

Quote from: tiny707 on April 13, 2023, 04:52:58 PM
The name of this thread is call let's speculate not let's recommend assistant coaches. I would not shocked if some of the names mentioned end up the bench. I think he will tap into his Vanderbilt days and Baylor connection. Not sure if a Valpo connection will end up on the bench. The coach with MVC experience is the one I am stumped with.

I think Gregg Marshall is unemployed.