• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's speculate about assistant coaches

Started by humbleopinion, April 07, 2023, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanityLost17

Quote from: 4throwfan on April 13, 2023, 05:02:10 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 13, 2023, 04:52:58 PM
The name of this thread is call let's speculate not let's recommend assistant coaches. I would not shocked if some of the names mentioned end up the bench. I think he will tap into his Vanderbilt days and Baylor connection. Not sure if a Valpo connection will end up on the bench. The coach with MVC experience is the one I am stumped with.

I think Gregg Marshall is unemployed.

Greg Lansing had a winning record at Indiana State over 11 seasons, and he did that with the worst budget in the league over that time.   What is he up to these days?

valpofb16

Dee Brown, played with Powell at Illinois and With Jazz.

5 years at UIC. Valley experience.

Known name in region.

Valpo assistant is surely a pay raise over HC at Roosevelt

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 13, 2023, 07:30:32 PM
Dee Brown, played with Powell at Illinois and With Jazz.

5 years at UIC. Valley experience.

Known name in region.

Valpo assistant is surely a pay raise over HC at Roosevelt

Well, Powell did bring his favorite players/coaches with him. He posted this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RogerPowellJr/status/1645207369776001030

chgovalpofan

Having Dee Brown could be amazing.  Loved watching him play first at Proviso East and then at Illinois.  I hope we find out soon.

vok22

Quote from: chgovalpofan on April 14, 2023, 08:21:31 AM
Having Dee Brown could be amazing.  Loved watching him play first at Proviso East and then at Illinois.  I hope we find out soon.

Powell did say he expected the staff to be finalized by the end of this week, so I'm thinking we find out early next week. I anticipate that once the staff is out and public, we'll start hearing a lot more about transfer portal targets and connections. Should be an exciting few weeks.

historyman

Luke Gore (@coachgore) · Twitter
https://twitter.com/coachgore

Thank you @valpobasketball and @valpou. My time at Valparaiso University has been an absolute honor and an amazing journey for me and my family. I am so proud to be a son, a husband, a player of, a colleague, a coach of, and a friend to many fellow @ValpoAlumni #ValpoFamily

[tweet]1646641582014070784[/tweet]?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet]Twitter · 2 days ago

I would also like to thank Coach Gore for his 20 plus years of dedication to Valpo. He will be missed. Maybe some sort of appreciative gathering of some kind could be extended to Luke.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Just made public that Luke is headed to Wichita State as Director of Basketball Operations
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

That's great. Good luck, Luke, and thanks for all you contributed to VALPO Basketball and the Valpo community.  :thumbsup:

valpotx

Good for Luke.  I hope that Wichita State gives him what he is looking for in career advancement in the future
"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

I can't imagine we go much longer without knowing the staff. Hopefully today, maybe tomorrow at the latest.

Valpo2010

So should we read anything in to the fact that the "Coaches" page under Men's Basketball on valpoathletics.com is updated to show Roger as Head Coach, other assistants have been removed, but Rob Holloway still shows as Assistant Coach? 

historyman

Quote from: Valpo2010 on April 17, 2023, 06:10:33 PM
So should we read anything in to the fact that the "Coaches" page under Men's Basketball on valpoathletics.com is updated to show Roger as Head Coach, other assistants have been removed, but Rob Holloway still shows as Assistant Coach? 

Other than Rob had the best recruiting contacts in the Chicago area, No, NOT AT ALL......... nothing to see there.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusader05

I"ve heard most, if not all of the new coaches are on campus so I don't know if they're waiting for a final one to do a full announcement.

wh

Quote from: historyman on April 17, 2023, 06:22:05 PM

Other than Rob had the best recruiting contacts in the Chicago area, No, NOT AT ALL......... nothing to see there.

Rob and I share 2 things in common. We both have Chicago area contacts and neither of us has successfully recruited a Chicago kid to play basketball for Valpo.

historyman

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2023, 07:02:01 PM
Quote from: historyman on April 17, 2023, 06:22:05 PM

Rob and I share 2 things in common. We both have Chicago area contacts and neither of us has successfully recruited a Chicago kid to play basketball for Valpo.

Ok, I was trying to be very faceous with that statement. It's pretty obvious the previous staff didn't recruit the Chicago area very well. I won't debate who has the most Chicago contacts.

vok22

Maybe he is just staying on a little longer to help with the transition until the new staff is announced. TVB indicated the expectation is that all staff was let go, and Holloway was not in attendance at the Powell press conference. I also don't see where he would fit in, as Powell said he wanted a former head coach for the associate head coach position, as well as an offensive guy and a defensive guy. Rob is not a former head coach, and considering we had no offense OR defense under Lottich, I don't see which one Holloway would be manning.

Also, let's get this show rolling. If we already reportedly have a staff that is working at the university, what is the holdup on the announcement? We have 7+ spots to fill and I haven't seen so much as a "Valpo showing interest in..." yet save for a recruit Powell appearently offered before he was even formally announced. Hate to be impatient but good players go fast in the transfer portal and we were already behind.

valpopal

Quote from: vok22 on April 17, 2023, 11:21:56 PM
If we already reportedly have a staff that is working at the university, what is the holdup on the announcement? We have 7+ spots to fill and I haven't seen so much as a "Valpo showing interest in..." yet...
Ask and you shall receive:
[tweet]1648165017806688264[/tweet]

vok22

Quote from: valpopal on April 18, 2023, 07:46:28 AM
Quote from: vok22 on April 17, 2023, 11:21:56 PM
If we already reportedly have a staff that is working at the university, what is the holdup on the announcement? We have 7+ spots to fill and I haven't seen so much as a "Valpo showing interest in..." yet...
Ask and you shall receive:
[tweet]1648165017806688264[/tweet]

Looks like he shot 40% from three on 5 attempts per game this year. Came off the bench for all but 3 games and still got off just under 5 threes per game. Would be refreshing to have some people that can make a basket from out there.

Just Sayin

These players said they have heard from Valpo. I don't know their status or if they have been mentioned on these boards.
UIC: Jalen Jackson. 7.3PPG, 2RPG, 1,6APG
WOFFORD: Messiah Jones.
ARK ST: Terrance Ford Jr.
BUTLER: Miles Tate. 7.9ppg, 1.2stls, 13 starts
AMERICAN: Johnny O'Neil. 6' 9", 11.3ppg, 6.6RPG, 1.7blks/gm, 39.2% 3P

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 18, 2023, 08:58:49 AM
These players said they have heard from Valpo. I don't know their status or if they have been mentioned on these boards.
UIC: Jalen Jackson. 7.3PPG, 2RPG, 1,6APG
WOFFORD: Messiah Jones.
ARK ST: Terrance Ford Jr.
BUTLER: Miles Tate. 7.9ppg, 1.2stls, 13 starts
AMERICAN: Johnny O'Neil. 6' 9", 11.3ppg, 6.6RPG, 1.7blks/gm, 39.2% 3P

Jalen Jackson is the brother of the Jackson twins who signed with Valpo women. He has signed with Fort Wayne.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on April 17, 2023, 11:21:56 PMMaybe he is just staying on a little longer to help with the transition until the new staff is announced. TVB indicated the expectation is that all staff was let go, and Holloway was not in attendance at the Powell press conference. I also don't see where he would fit in, as Powell said he wanted a former head coach for the associate head coach position, as well as an offensive guy and a defensive guy. Rob is not a former head coach, and considering we had no offense OR defense under Lottich, I don't see which one Holloway would be manning. Also, let's get this show rolling. If we already reportedly have a staff that is working at the university, what is the holdup on the announcement? We have 7+ spots to fill and I haven't seen so much as a "Valpo showing interest in..." yet save for a recruit Powell appearently offered before he was even formally announced. Hate to be impatient but good players go fast in the transfer portal and we were already behind.
When a staff is released typically someone is kept around to pick up the phone if necessary. That's likely the case here.

Valpo seems very deliberate in announcing staff hirings. While not as high profile, it seemed about 3 weeks between hearing about the football staff and a formal announcement. There may be a vetting or approval process which takes longer than either other programs have in place or we want to wait through.

VU2014

The Williams & Mary kid was with the previous staff that was talking to him.

VU2014

I'm wondering what is taking so long with the announcement of the staff. I have to think 1 or 2 guys turned down an offer.

tiny707

Our pay for assistants probably sucks..