• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The 2023-24 Men's Basketball Schedule Thread

Started by jtm, May 16, 2023, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtm

vu84v2

Roger Powell has some really good connections for scheduling: obviously Gonzaga, but also Illinois and Kansas (Self recruited him to Illinois and to my knowledge still has a close relationship with Coach Powell). Not sure that Valpo is ready for a tougher schedule yet (though an excellent buy game would be helpful), but I am hopeful that there will be marked improvements in scheduling within the next few years.

VALPO LI

jtm you officially started a fun new topic, the 2023-2024 schedule!!! :thumbsup:
So what we are hearing:
Valpo will head south and play in the Gulf Coast Showcase that includes-
Buffalo 15-17 (9-9 in the MAC) 194 NET.
George Washington  16-16 (10-8 in the A-10) 211 NET.
Wright State 18-15 (10-10 Horizon) 197 NET.

What we believe: (return H/H)
vs. Samford 21-11 (15-3 in the SoCon) 135 NET
@ Elon 8-24 (6-12 CAA) 337 NET

What "I" would love to see.....
Ball State 18-12 (NET 156)
Loyola 10-21 (NET 269)
DePaul 10-23 (NET 155)
Southern Indiana 16-17 (NET 266)
AND WAGNER for the Lutheran Connection (only other Lutheran D-1 program) 15-13 NEC with a NET of 303)

Powell did say that he was looking at a schedule that "is not too crazy early and then sprinkle in a couple games where they are challenged at a high level to prepare us for this league".
Shine on Vu

valpopal

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 16, 2023, 11:33:43 AM
Valpo will head south and play in the Gulf Coast Showcase
That same week, Gonzaga will be in Hawaii at the Maui Classic. Already, Coach Powell's sacrifice by coming to Valpo is on display.  :)

Pgmado

I don't believe Valparaiso is participating in the Gulf Coast Showcase.

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on May 16, 2023, 02:23:02 PM
I don't believe Valparaiso is participating in the Gulf Coast Showcase.

Interesting!  :o.   Are we rumored for something equal or better?

We don't have a team yet so hand picking any opponent has got to be a crapshoot.

JD24

Pgmado

I believe Valpo was out of the tournament even when the old coaching staff was still intact. Not sure what is happening now, but don't go booking trips to Gulf Coast.

VUBBFan

Darn, I'm already down here excited to see them play.

Quote from: Pgmado on May 16, 2023, 05:59:06 PMI believe Valpo was out of the tournament even when the old coaching staff was still intact. Not sure what is happening now, but don't go booking trips to Gulf Coast.

VALPO LI

I can say with absolute certainty that I am 50% sure that Valpo will play Southern Illinois and Missouri State twice this year!
Shine on Vu

historyman

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 17, 2023, 03:34:26 PM
I can say with absolute certainty that I am 50% sure that Valpo will play Southern Illinois and Missouri State twice this year!

I am 100% sure we won't be playing the Loyola 'blers or the Creighton Bluejays in the MVC for the 23-24 season.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Selfishly, I hope Roger gets at least one of the three D-I UWs (Madison, GB, Milwaukee) and/or Marquette on the 23-24 schedule. Madison or Marquette "buy" games would really help the bottom line.

Here's a really crazy thought - ya think the school down south would condescend to schedule Valpo ever again now that we've changed the AD and MBB coach?

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 22, 2023, 07:30:05 PM
Selfishly, I hope Roger gets at least one of the three D-I UWs (Madison, GB, Milwaukee) and/or Marquette on the 23-24 schedule. Madison or Marquette "buy" games would really help the bottom line.

Here's a really crazy thought - ya think the school down south would condescend to schedule Valpo ever again now that we've changed the AD and MBB coach?

Need Paul to chime in with how many days it's been since Butler beat Valpo in hoops. Lol.

Just Sayin

vu84v2

I would think that, given Coach Powell's connections, Gonzaga, Kansas and Illinois are all possibilities for future buy games. I do not think a home-home with UW-Milwaukee is likely (they fired Pat Baldwin), but I think that Marquette is another possible buy game for sometime in the next few years.

valporun

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 23, 2023, 02:39:15 PM
I would think that, given Coach Powell's connections, Gonzaga, Kansas and Illinois are all possibilities for future buy games. I do not think a home-home with UW-Milwaukee is likely (they fired Pat Baldwin), but I think that Marquette is another possible buy game for sometime in the next few years.

Maybe a game against Michigan State before Izzo calls it a career? Swing a second game with Oakland before Kampe hangs up his whistle too?

Pgmado

Almost certain GB will be at the ARC this year in a game that was already finalized before Preston exit/Powell entrance.

vok22

Looks like we will play at Illinois as part of an MTE this year, as well as get two home game out of it. Maybe WIU and Southern? It looks like they are in the tournament.

VALPO LI

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1666551479371481088

So.....
@ Illinois, what a great opportunity for a first year head coach to compete against his alma mater!
Home against Western Illinois University who now competes in the Ohio Valley.
Home vs Southern who finished at the top half of their conference.
Possibly home vs Samford
and @ Elon 2 return games of a H/H
I have to say this is starting to look like a fun schedule!
Now go get Ball State and I will be elated ;D
Shine on Vu

crusadermoe

That's cool on the Illini scenario.  And I always like seeing Samford and Son on the docket.

historyman

Quote from: crusadermoe on June 15, 2023, 04:16:17 PM
That's cool on the Illini scenario.  And I always like seeing Samford and Son on the docket.

Which pup is Samford's son? They are the unoriginal Bulldogs.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Valpo will play at Virginia Tech on the Saturday before final exam week.

[tweet]1678813412917116944[/tweet]

crusader05

I think account may be a spoof as it's tweet under it is about Roman Penn getting another year eligibility and than stating it's false and it only has like 30 followers. I'd wait and see if another reporter picks it up before believing it.

valpopal

Quote from: crusader05 on July 11, 2023, 02:11:44 PM
I think account may be a spoof as it's tweet under it is about Roman Penn getting another year eligibility and than stating it's false and it only has like 30 followers. I'd wait and see if another reporter picks it up before believing it.
Here is a second source...

[tweet]1678837108960636928[/tweet]

and a third...

[tweet]1678812035419602977[/tweet]

and a fourth from The Roanoke Times, Valpo to be paid almost $100,000:

"The Virginia Tech men will host Valparaiso on Dec. 9. Valparaiso will be paid $95,000 for the game. Valparaiso went 11-21 overall and 5-15 in the Missouri Valley Conference last season. Valparaiso's new coach is Roger Powell Jr."