• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The 2023-24 Men's Basketball Schedule Thread

Started by jtm, May 16, 2023, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

What a difference a year makes. If this schedule was announced with last years staff the bitching would have started immediately....no home games I want to attend, bad days of the week, games with the students gone, a non D1 game....
For the record I am fine with this schedule.

tiny707

crusadermoe

Did anyone see the Facebook release image of the non-Conference schedule?   I don't know the names of the players anymore.   Was the featured guy a senior?   Just curious.  I think I might have chosen to feature brand new coach Powell in a blazer or something with a bit of pizzazz.

Pgmado

Quote from: crusadermoe on August 29, 2023, 02:50:51 PM
Did anyone see the Facebook release image of the non-Conference schedule?   I don't know the names of the players anymore.   Was the featured guy a senior?   Just curious.  I think I might have chosen to feature brand new coach Powell in a blazer or something with a bit of pizzazz.

Leading returning scorer Connor Barrett.

AB

Considering we had Krikke, King and Green last year a more "experienced team", and the results not good. Terrible performance at Samford and non competitive blowout loss to a bad Ole Miss team. A narrow win at home versus Elon. Does anyone think our schedule is way easier than last year?. Due to the youth we will be inconsistent,  but I'm fairly certain we will be a lot more competitive in most of the games. Unrelated.......
    John Calapari was recently quoted as saying that he thinks so many coaches have focused on the transfer portal that they are missing out/under recruiting a lot of potentially good freshman. I think that gave us better chance to recruit/land the current Freshman we have. I have a strong feeling that Powell and company landed a few guys that will really pleasantly surprise.

wh

The conference added 2 teams a year ago, yet the number of scheduled conference games only increased from 18 to 20. Why didn't the number go to 22? Is is going to 22 this year? If not, why not?

The larger question is why aren't we taking full advantage of a larger conference? Why instead are we scheduling crap non-conference games that we shouldn't have to, suffering lost ticket revenue from games nobody wants to see, negatively impacting our SOS in the process, and worst of all throwing money down the drain "buying" non D-1 opponents?

Last year the MVC sent 1 team to the NCAA tournament, who earned a Mid Con type seed and quietly flamed out after 1 game. Valpo received a whopping 1/12 share of 1 NCAA tournament share.  Where's the payoff?

justducky

Quote from: wh on September 05, 2023, 01:08:09 PMThe conference added 2 teams a year ago, yet the number of scheduled conference games only increased from 18 to 20. Why didn't the number go to 22? Is is going to 22 this year? If not, why not?
While I suspect that you brought this up right now more from summer boredom than any intense anger I've decided to jump in for the education, stupification and entertainment of us board members with not enough to do. I like the 20 game MVC schedule.  :o  When we rise back to mid-major respectability I think someone like coach Powell can do more with the additional non-con opportunities that the locked in 22 doesn't offer. Either way this debate should have happened prior to last season and I think we should give it a good test run before we tow it to the scrap yard.

Quote from: wh on September 05, 2023, 01:08:09 PMWhy instead are we scheduling crap non-conference games that we shouldn't have to, suffering lost ticket revenue from games nobody wants to see, negatively impacting our SOS in the process, and worst of all throwing money down the drain "buying" non D-1 opponents?
I'm expecting that our crap schedule improves as the team matures and our program rises. Meanwhile I am perfectly content with the 23-24 schedule because we are likely to be really, really bad especially early on.
Quote from: wh on September 05, 2023, 01:08:09 PMLast year the MVC sent 1 team to the NCAA tournament, who earned a Mid Con type seed and quietly flamed out after 1 game. Valpo received a whopping 1/12 share of 1 NCAA tournament share.  Where's the payoff?

Good question but I'll reserve judgement on this for a few years as well. Remember that all of us were briefly optimistic while thinking that Loyola would remain and Murray and Belmont join. Now we all have slightly less hope for the league but much more hope for our future position in it.

VALPO LI

In regards to the non conference schedule I feel that Valpo is playing the type of teams they should be at this point in time.  New coach, new players, all needs to jell before they take on some major talent.
Valpo finished bottom 3 of the MVC last season.  They are playing the bottom 2 teams in the Horizon League, bottom of the MAC, and Chicago St this season. Simply put, WIN and dominate these games, and I feel the non conference schedule should improve.  WIN more conference games and this non conference schedule should improve.
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

A point that has not been discussed lately is will Valpo ever have a non conference rivalry?
With new leadership in place will a future non conference schedule introduce a new rivalry game or games for the Beacons?  Will we see Ball St. back on the the schedule?  Who wouldn't love Butler, Loyola even Oakland back on the non conference schedule.  Could Western Michigan *under 2 hrs drive be considered the start of a new rivalry (battle between the brown and gold).  I feel the program is missing a good consistent rivalry game that gets fans excited when scheduled.
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Quote from: VALPO LI on September 06, 2023, 09:17:04 AM
A point that has not been discussed lately is will Valpo ever have a non conference rivalry?
With new leadership in place will a future non conference schedule introduce a new rivalry game or games for the Beacons?  Will we see Ball St. back on the the schedule?  Who wouldn't love Butler, Loyola even Oakland back on the non conference schedule.  Could Western Michigan *under 2 hrs drive be considered the start of a new rivalry (battle between the brown and gold).  I feel the program is missing a good consistent rivalry game that gets fans excited when scheduled.

Butler could certainly be a rival, same with Loyola - but both are only going to have 5-6 non-conference games that they need to schedule per year. Maybe Oakland, but is there a rivalry without Kampe?

tjjvalpo

Last year the conference schedule was released on Thursday, Sept 15th. Hopefully,this seasons schedule will be released next week. I'm looking forward to its release, mostly because I'm ready buy my season tickets!

VULB#62

MVCFans has a string about 2023 secret scrimmage results. By any chance, has Valpo had a secret scrimmage? If they did, they were pretty good about keeping it secret. 😀

crusader05

Per Paul's twitter it sounds like they had one this weekend. Unsure where/against who.

vu72

I think we played Milwaukee.  I heard it from one of the announcers on the volleyball game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vok22

Doesn't seem like many details got out. Considering our lack of substantial D1 experience, I feel like that was probably some pretty stiff competition for us. Good to be exposed to that early before it can count against us. 

vok22

Looking at the Milwaukee fan forum, it looks like Milwaukee won 100-90 in a game played in Illinois. Don't have any idea if that is true or not, or how Milwaukee is projected to be this year. However, it's promising to me we competed with a division 1 team with our lack of experience. Also: 90 points ! Also: 100 points :(

Seems to line up with our expectation of run and gun though!

Update: Milwaukee is picked to finish 2nd in the horizon league from their official preseason rankings.