• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The ARC's broken PA

Started by wh, June 21, 2023, 05:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

This question is specifically for "talksalot:"

I know you are an active board member and occasional poster, so presumably you are aware that those who regularly attend games at the ARC have complained repeatedly that the public address system is broken and that it has remained in its current broken state for several years. To my recollection, no one who works for the athletic department has ever commented on it, despite chiming in on myriad other topics. I have sent unanswered emails to MLB, using a simple analogy - our local movie theater having a sound system with constant voice and sound distortion and expecting paying customers to live with it. The fact that it's even an issue is remarkable. The fact that no one from the Athletic Department has ever responded to our complaints is also quite remarkable. Even after seeing that lights are being installed to bring the ARC lighting into the 21st century, a new round of "how about the sound system?" questions has gone ignored. So, let me ask you:
1. Not wanting to assume anything, are you as PA announcer, aware that the PA system is broken? Or, do you even agree that it's broken?
2. If you are aware/agree, is the asst. AD in charge of facility management aware of it?
3. Is our AD aware of it?
4. If so, is there a plan to remedy it? If so, what and when? If not, why not?
5. If a resolution is on the way, is it this year or "somewhere down the road?"
6. Anything else as a fellow board poster and rabid VU bb fan that you can share to help your fellow members understand what on the surface appears to be a need-to-know secret would be greatly appreciated, (even something cryptic, lol).

Thanks in advance for adding some insight for those of us who buy season tickets and help pay the bills.

talksalot

I'll say the same thing i have said to others over the years.

I'm told it depends where you are sitting.  In my seat, it's hard to be judgemental.   It is a different experience for volleyball when the curtain is down. 

Compared to the United Center, I much prefer the ARC setup.  At the UC there is about a 1 second delay from talking to the microphone and it coming back.  Soldier Field is about a 2.5 second delay. 

WH, In your seat.. is the sound muffled? Not loud enough? Too loud?  I'd be interested in hearing from others who can describe the issue.

wh

The problem has always been audio distortion. For instance, when you announce the starting lineups, every name, every word is garbled. The only thing any of us recognize are our player names, because we already know who they are.

I have attached an article on 9 major issues with public address systems. Included is a segment on audio distortion. Note that 1 cause of audio distortion is speaking too closely into the mic. Another cause is using the wrong type of mic (dynamic mic vs. condenser mic). I don't know if either apply, but that could be a good place to start. Staff needs to pull in a professional PA system engineer to assist in testing sound quality. I know from personal experience it takes 2 or 3 trained people minimum to test PA sound quality. What the sender hears and the receiver hears are different. Also, what a receiver hears in one area can be different than a receiver in a different area. I hope this helps. Kindly let us know if they make an effort to resolve this. Thanks.

Audio Distortion

"Distortion occurs when the original sound signal changes into an unwanted sound. One of the main causes of distortion in PA speakers is overloading a microphone with sound. As a result, the microphone sends distorted signals to the speakers. For instance, if you place a microphone too close to a sound source, then it can cause distortion. In this case, place the microphone a little bit farther away from the sound source, be it your mouth or music instrument. Another fix is using the right type of mic for a specific task. For instance, if a dynamic mic is causing distortion, then switch to a condenser microphone and vice versa.

Another common cause of audio distortion is pushing PA speakers beyond their limit. If the RMS power rating of your speakers is way below that of your amplifier, and you turn the amp volume all the way up, then you'll likely get distorted sound. In this case, try to turn the volume down gradually until the distortion clears. You're also likely get distorted sound if the amplifier is under powering your PA speakers. In this case, upgrade to a more powerful amp."

https://audiomention.com/issues-in-pa-speakers-and-how-to-fix/

Valpo89

I always thought the problem was just cheap speakers.

talksalot

I'm sorry.. this is above my pay grade. 

wh

VULB#62

Caveat:  I have not been to a BB game in the ARC, so my post is based on a pretty neutral look at what I've read  on this forum.

This issue has been an on-going one for quite a few years. Many different posters have echoed (no pun intended - well, maybe a little) thoughts on the poor quality of the sound system during home games. Given that this is more than just one or two ticket holders expressing some frustration, not just in one season but over a number of seasons, I would think the athletic department would, at a minimum, bring in an acoustic expert to assess the current system and provide recommendations on optimizing or replacing the current setup. At the very least, such an assessment might confirm that the current system is fine and seating location is, indeed, the variable in this equation.

But my gut tells me that when you are relying on technology of any kind over more than 5-7 years old these days, you need to seriously consider, at a minimum, an upgrade or, more realistically, a full replacement.  Bottom line, winning is, of course, the biggie, but a positive fan game experience is also a  key to repeat ticket sales.  The new paint job and improved lighting go a long way in that direction, but some of that can be eroded when you have to strain to hear the PA, especially when the crowd is raucous.

Oh, and BTW, why aren't there chairbacks on both sides of the court?

Just Sayin

Fans don't come to watch basketball to hear someone speak into the "highest quality" sound system. And the music in a place like the ARC is never going to sound like you are listening on a set of headphones. The band will overpower any other sounds. Having a great sound system is the last thing on fan's mind as being important. Don't waste money on this. No one is going to come to the games because of the sound system and no one is not going to come to a game because of a poor sound system. Only one thing will get more butts in the seats and keep them there. Winning.

wh

That's like saying people - all people - go to a restaurant only for the food, not the atmosphere. Obviously, the quality of the food is by far the more important consideration, but that doesn't render atmosphere irrelevant, nor customer service, nor cleanliness, etc. It's the difference between a dining experience and a place to feed your face.

A large, spirited pep band, professional halftime entertainment, creative games to keep fans engaged during TO's, special food and beverage discounts, and yes, a PA system that functions at least as well as Washington Township's HS gym all contribute to atmosphere. Atmosphere helps drive experience, and experience influences attendance - especially when the product on the court is average or below.

Every one of these examples used to be on full display at home games. Win or lose, fans walked away fully entertained and looking forward to the next home game. They have all disappeared over recent years to the disgrace of a lazy, minimally engaged athletic department staff and stuffed shirt (and lazy) music department leadership.

Thanks for lobbing me a fast ball down the center of the plate.

Valpo2010

I've been a season ticket holder since graduating in 2010 and have never noticed an issue with the sound system.  My seats are in section C (lower section, mid-court).  Seems just like any other arena/gym sound system to me. 

justducky

Quote from: Valpo2010 on June 24, 2023, 07:39:43 PMMy seats are in section C (lower section, mid-court).  Seems just like any other arena/gym sound system to me. 

With few tickets being sold I now just skip around various sections to sit with old friends and familiar faces. Wherever I sit the sound imperfections have dropped from being a top priority. I think the stench from the quality of play on the floor may have overwhelmed my remaining senses but Roger should have plenty of time to get the building aired out before the 23-24 season begins.

cmack

I sit Section C, center court.  Not more than 10ft from Talksalot.  It is very difficult to understand much of anything.  I just use context clues to piece together most of what he is saying.

talksalot

Quote from: cmack on June 26, 2023, 08:16:18 AM
I sit Section C, center court.  Not more than 10ft from Talksalot.  It is very difficult to understand much of anything.  I just use context clues to piece together most of what he is saying.

Heck, I'm closer than that... and sometimes I don't know what he said either...😁

historyman

I also have a difficult time understanding what is said over the PA at times. Mostly when it is said quickly in an excited voice and goes by quickly.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

For some of us, our age may be be the biggest problem.    :) :) :)

historyman

Has there been any improvement in the PA system? I've not heard anyone complaining about it lately. Or does having Coach Powell in charge make you forget your complaints.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Chairback

We do have a new buzzer horn sound.   The first time I heard it I was taken back.  You get used to the old school middle school buzzer we had forever.   

It's hard to describe.  It's not an arena horn like in bigger gyms. But it's an upgrade. 

wh

Quote from: historyman on November 09, 2023, 03:54:37 PM
Has there been any improvement in the PA system? I've not heard anyone complaining about it lately. Or does having Coach Powell in charge make you forget your complaints.

The sound system is as bad as ever where we sit. However, to your point the general optimism for a better future for the program certainly soothes the soul. Also, the new lighting, brighter environment, scoreboard features, etc. more than counterbalance any negatives. All in all, my mind set is in a much better place right now.  ;)

humbleopinion

The PA system is all the more important as the new scoreboards do not have an area that states who committed a foul.  If it could have been called on tow or more players, the only way to know who committed the foul is to hear it from talksalot (unless you have memorized each player's total number of fouls and notice a change in their total).
Beamin' Beacons

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 10, 2023, 02:34:48 PM(unless you have memorized each player's total number of fouls and notice a change in their total).

I keep a scorecard on every game and yes, with my brother's help, I do remember how many fouls on each player.

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 10, 2023, 02:34:48 PM
The PA system is all the more important as the new scoreboards do not have an area that states who committed a foul.  If it could have been called on tow or more players, the only way to know who committed the foul is to hear it from talksalot (unless you have memorized each player's total number of fouls and notice a change in their total).

I miss that scoreboard feature, as well. In order to compensate I have live stats loaded on my I-phone and refer to the play-by-play feature, as necessary.

wh

I don't know if the audio system has been fixed or if someone accidentally kicked a speaker or jiggled a wire, but the sound was noticeably better yesterday. Great clarity on player intro's and loud, crisp, clear music. I'm holding my breath.

historyman

Quote from: wh on November 26, 2023, 11:04:34 AM
I don't know if the audio system has been fixed or if someone accidentally kicked a speaker or jiggled a wire, but the sound was noticeably better yesterday. Great clarity on player intro's and loud, crisp, clear music. I'm holding my breath.

Must be an audio miracle!!!!!!