• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - IUPUI 11/10/23 Powell D1 Opener

Started by talksalot, November 07, 2023, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: Bumbo on November 12, 2023, 04:34:27 PMWho else on this roster can find others shots like that?

Beacon & Blaze, because kids will touch you in the darndest places.   :o
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: Bumbo on November 12, 2023, 04:34:27 PM
Disagree. Watch the tape especially in the first half Darius got guys at least 3-4 wide open shots that weren't made. He certainly can be more aggressive attacking the rim and trying to get his own in the midrange for sure but he's out there primarily to get other people shots which he did very well in my opinion.  Who else on this roster can find others shots like that ?

I agree that he handles and distributes the ball well. He doesn't need to be a 20-point scorer. If he averaged even 6 PPG, it could mean the difference between winning and losing close games.

tiny707

Hell, I would love it if Darius could average  four points a game. Zero points and one point is not enough in close games.

JD24

Quote from: Bumbo on November 12, 2023, 04:34:27 PMDisagree. Watch the tape especially in the first half Darius got guys at least 3-4 wide open shots that weren't made. He certainly can be more aggressive attacking the rim and trying to get his own in the midrange for sure but he's out there primarily to get other people shots which he did very well in my opinion.  Who else on this roster can find others shots like that ?
Getting 3 or 4 shots for other guys for a point guard, particularly one who is nearly a complete zero otherwise offensively, is not all that impressive. If he doesn't pose a threat to score even the plays he's making won't be there.

He's probably starting at the moment because Powell trusts him the most to run the team. For the sake of the team, that will have to change with either a different player or Darius becoming more aggressive as a scorer.

wh

I told myself I was going to be patient with this new group, and here I am singling out Darius already, and dragging other posters into to it, as well. Not good.

JD24

Quote from: wh on November 12, 2023, 10:25:02 PMI told myself I was going to be patient with this new group, and here I am singling out Darius already, and dragging other posters into to it, as well. Not good.
Feel better. I think I brought up Darius first...at least this year...and if I wasn't first I was certainly thinking it. There's a difference between ripping the team to shreds which no one is doing and pointing out obvious flaws in the roster and/or offense/defense strategy.

valpo64

We must all remember that we need to be patient with this "new" group as someone said.  However, Darius is not part of the "new" group. We know what he can do as he has shown us in the past seasons.  However, looking ahead   I believe Coach will develop a new, younger point guard who with experience will have the ability to score and run the team on offense.  Let's face it, last year the MVC teams completely neutralized our offense daring Darius to shoot, which in effect had us play our 4 vs. their 5 guys when we were on offense.

usc4valpo

Again, this team is very low on overall talent. We need patience, not at the same of patience we gave Lottich or Carlson, but enough to turn it around.

Bumbo

With all due respect Darius had limited minutes under Lottich and rarely touched the ball in the half court offense once the first pass was made under the old regime. So this is his first opportunity to play meaningful minutes especially playing off the ball screen which Lottich rarely ran. That said 1 point and 3 shots in 36 minutes is too little.

JD24

All due respect he's had many more mins in the games so far and is doing exactly the same thing he did with less minutes....which is exactly the concern being expressed by some. It's not a bulletin to say the situation has to change.

valpotx

IUPUI getting worked at Indiana State 44-20, with 2 minutes left in the first half
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

FINAL

Trees  96
Jags   57

Sycamores Dominate the Jaguars in 39-Point Victory - Indiana State University Athletics (gosycamores.com)

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – The Indiana State men's basketball team dominated on their home court Tuesday night, handling the IUPUI Jaguars in a 96-57 victory. For the second-straight game, the Sycamores had four players finish in double-digit scoring, led by Robbie Avila and Isaiah Swope with 16 each. This marks Swope's third game at the top of the scoring category for the Sycamores. On top of Avila's 16 points, he recorded four rebounds and five assists. Jayson Kent recorded his first career double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Teammate Xavier Bledson also scored 11 points, grabbing three rebounds and dishing out four assists in only 18 minutes on the court. Multiple other Sycamores added to the high-scoring affair, leading to 10 total Sycamores adding points to the stat sheet. In his first minutes of the season, Avila made up for lost time by accounting for ISU's first 12 points of the game. Avila recorded six points and assisted the other six points. Swope also made his presence known throughout the first half. In the first 10 minutes of the first half, he recorded 10 points on 4-for-6 shooting. ISU used a 20-5 attack to close out the first half, utilizing six different Sycamores in the stretch. Indiana State closed out the half with 48 points on 62% shooting, the most points in a half this season. Swope led the way with 16 points at the break, draining four three pointers. Just over midway through the second half, Kent eclipsed the 10-point scoring mark on from a massive one-handed slam on a fastbreak outlet pass from Xavier Bledson, marking his first career double-double. The ISU defense held IUPUI to its lowest-scoring effort of the season, not allowing a made three pointers in the entire game.News & NotesRobbie Avila scored 16 points in his season debut. Dating back to last season, this is Avila's fourth-straight game with at least 10 points.

• Jayson Kent recorded a career-high 10 rebounds in his double-double effort.

• Isaiah Swope knocked down four threes for the third-straight game. He's shooting 59.1% from behind the arc in those games.

• As a team, ISU shot 60.3% from the floor and 40.5% from three-point land, each the highest for the season.

• For the first time in the Coach Schertz, ISU held a team without a three pointer. The last time Indiana State held a team without a three pointer was on January 23, 2013 when Illinois State went 0-for-13.

• Jake Wolfe led the team in assists with 6, marking his career high.

• Indiana State dominated their opponent in scoring from the paint by a 20-point margin (56 total) and in total assists (28 to 6).

• The 96 points by the Sycamores is the most points this season, and last season the team only scored 96 or more four times.

• Long, long, way to go for the Beacons to compete in the MVC!!!!!!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann