• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What Indiana/area D1 programs will VU play in the Powell era?

Started by FWalum, November 10, 2023, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Tonight we play IUPUI, old foe (who can forget the Ron Hunter games) now fallen on fairly hard times. What other Indiana and "local" D1 programs will VU try to schedule in the future. I ask this mainly for my friend Jon Coffman, Head Coach of Purdue Fort Wayne, who would love to get back on the schedule much like they were under Homer and Bryce. That may not happen after they went to Depaul this week and beat them on their home court. Will we ever play Notre Dame again, or will Digger's statement ring true forever? Matt was pretty consistent in playing Ball State. Will they return to the schedule? What schools would you like to see? Butler... probably not happening.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on November 10, 2023, 11:06:45 AM
Tonight we play IUPUI, old foe (who can forget the Ron Hunter games) now fallen on fairly hard times. What other Indiana and "local" D1 programs will VU try to schedule in the future. I ask this mainly for my friend Jon Coffman, Head Coach of Purdue Fort Wayne, who would love to get back on the schedule much like they were under Homer and Bryce. That may not happen after they went to Depaul this week and beat them on their home court. Will we ever play Notre Dame again, or will Digger's statement ring true forever? Matt was pretty consistent in playing Ball State. Will they return to the schedule? What schools would you like to see? Butler... probably not happening.
I see no need in playing Ball St or Purdue Fort Wayne every season but they are competitive doable opponents who should be on our schedule a minimum of 4 years out of 10. I'm wanting us to return to mid major prominence before we even consider taking any buy games at ND, Purdue, or IU.

tiny707

The Rev is getting his homecoming game at Illinois. Let's do the same for AJ Moye at IU.

justducky

Quote from: tiny707 on November 10, 2023, 11:43:16 AM
The Rev is getting his homecoming game at Illinois. Let's do the same for AJ Moye at IU.
This does make some sense so I'll give it the  :thumbsup:

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on November 10, 2023, 11:43:16 AM
Why not extend this to Pat Baldwin with a return to his alma mater, Northwestern, closer by half the distance than either Illinois or Indiana?

tiny707

I am all for Northwestern too. Would be great for Chicago area Alumni on the Northside. Post was about IN though.

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on November 10, 2023, 04:06:57 PM
I am all for Northwestern too. Would be great for Chicago area Alumni on the Northside. Post was about IN though.
No, it wasn't. The title reads "Indiana/area D1 programs."

valpo64

A number of years ago we played Northwestern a number of times.

historyman

I wonder if we could get DePaul back at the Wintrust Arena. It's a walk from Soldier Field and McCormick Place. Maybe the schedule can be made where fans can attend 2 events with one at Wintrust and one at Soldier Field or McCormick Place.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Forget the Indiana schools.  They will never do anything logical.  So that'll never happen. 

But.......(think about it).....

Perfecta: Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola, UiC and Valpo .......  Plus 3 invitees  🙄

VERY seriously, the powers that be should be thinking way ahead. And these five + should be in that mix. The Chicago region needs to leverage these five teams in some sort of a preseason thing. Philly has their big five. Why not Chicago? 

This could be BIG!. This could boost college BB in the Chicago area big time. Huge arena, TV rights, and exposure.

Why wouldn't DePaul and NU want a piece of the action $$$$$?

Sorry but this makes so much sense.

covufan

Any team within about a 3 hour drive should be on our list of teams to get a home and away in future years. Just makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk