• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The guy nobody's talking about...

Started by wh, November 27, 2011, 05:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

...is Jay Harris.  He's off to a very good start:

10th in HL in scoring 12.3
1st in offensive rating 134.26
4th in floor pct. 58.03
2nd in true shooting pct. 65.48
1st in free throw pct. 100%
1st in assist to turnover ratio 3.0

Might we have another star in the making?

Stats:  http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats?games=1&conf=horizon&season=2011-2012&min=

Glossary of terms:  http://statsheet.com/basketball_stats_glossary

lowposter

Nice to have on the floor at the end of close games. 

Nice to have on the floor to loosen up a zone.

This young man is becoming quite the sniper.  What a nice player.

lowposte3r

valporun

I feel, in some ways, we hadn't really seen the true Jay Harris yet. He was stuck behind Brandon and Matt last year, so we never got to see what he could do. Jay was also the sub when Brandon got hot, and Homer wanted to be the sportsmanship coach, and rest him a little. I also feel that we need to go to Jay a little more. He might be the hot hand that we keep calling Ryan. No offense to his fans back home, but honestly, Ryan can shoot the ball, but he just never has the consistent confidence that he can hit the shot. He's always overshooting, clanking off the rim. Jay shoots when he has the shot, and his have been falling. We need some consistent games from both Jay and Ryan, but it seems like Ryan has a good game, and Jay doesn't shoot. When Jay is on, it's because Ryan has been countered. While a good thing, I'd rather both of them being hot in the same game, because it opens up other guys to doing something because the defense focuses too much on Ryan or Jay, opening up Kevin, Richie, Vucic, and anyone else to be productive too.

valpospartan

Quote from: lowposter on November 27, 2011, 05:17:57 PM
Nice to have on the floor at the end of close games. 

Nice to have on the floor to loosen up a zone.

This young man is becoming quite the sniper.  What a nice player.

lowposte3r

Nice to have on the floor, period!

historyman

The one really big asset that Jay brings to his game is that he is so cool under pressure. He hits almost 100% of his free throws and is having more and more confidence in hitting his shot due to having ice in his veins.

vu84v2

Not sure about now, but within the last few days Jay Harris has been ranked number one in the nation in free throw percentage (100% with the most attempts).  I agree with the comments about Harris' improvement.  The most positive outcome of the Ohio State game was the confidence you could see in Jay Harris with the ball and shooting the ball. 

FWalum

Quote from: valporun on November 27, 2011, 05:22:29 PMNo offense to his fans back home, but honestly, Ryan can shoot the ball, but he just never has the consistent confidence that he can hit the shot. He's always overshooting, clanking off the rim.
I agree that Jay Harris is gaining confidence and I look to him to become someone that will put up consistent points, but I am not sure that this statement about Ryan is accurate.  It certainly isn't historically true.  I think that Ryan probably feels pressure to be much more of the "first option" scorer this year and anything that Jay can do to help relieve that pressure will help Ryan and more importantly the team in the long run.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Much like our players looked to Wood last season when games got tight, we are doing that with Ryan this year.  Since they keep feeding him the ball in these situations over and over, he has to eventually shoot the ball, sometimes with little time on the clock.  Only so many players can make shots in these types of circumstances, and I feel that with this experience, they will start to drop for him shortly.
"Don't mess with Texas"

koala

You know what valporun I do take offense because some of you don't look at the big picture.   Yes he isn't shooting consistently at the moment and don't you think he knows that and is working hard to rectify it?   All you talk about is who scores the most points must be the best player but what about the ones banging away inside doing all the hard body work and rebounding?   Ryan is not the tallest player out there but each game he is working his butt off against bigger and taller players grabbing those rebounds, does that get a mention?   Plus his other all round work in assists, blocked shots, steals etc.   He works hard for the team in all aspects of the game and not just scoring.   I know his shot will start to fall it's not that he doesn't practise enough.   There's been big changes to the team and a lot of leading the team has fallen on his shoulders and I think so far he has done a damn fine job in leading from the front.   So he has one low scoring game against Ohio State and the knives are out and you start to write him off.   Did anyone look at what else he did in that game?   He may not have shot well but he grabbed team high rebounds, had assists, blocked shots and I think a steal so he doesn't give up just because his shot isn't falling he is still battling away for the team.    To him it doesn't matter who top scores as long as the team wins and if someone has a hot hand he will give them the ball, he doesn't come off the court thinking I had a bad game because I didn't top score he's all for the team.   Plus now that he is becoming known he will start to get the best defensive player on him as he did against Ohio State.   So the challenge for him is to beat that player and find another way to score and to get it to others that are open.   So what's going to happen when Jay has a bad shooting game and lets hope he doesn't, is he going to get the same bagging as Ryan and Kevin have because of one game?   So yes valporun I do take offense because there is more to a basketball game than scoring and I know both Kevin and Ryan will bounce back because they are proud young men who play hard for the team.   

chef

I would hope everybody that regularly watches Valpo basketball understands that Ryan is clearly the best all-around player on the team. Thus he shoulders a big burden, and thus far, he's responded with outstanding play. I also think a month from now we'll see Ryan's 3-pt percentage most closer to 40 percent than 30 percent.

valpopal

koala wrote:

"You know what valporun I do take offense because some of you don't look at the big picture.   Yes he isn't shooting consistently at the moment and don't you think he knows that and is working hard to rectify it?   All you talk about is who scores the most points must be the best player but what about the ones banging away inside doing all the hard body work and rebounding?   Ryan is not the tallest player out there but each game he is working his butt off against bigger and taller players grabbing those rebounds, does that get a mention?   Plus his other all round work in assists, blocked shots, steals etc.   He works hard for the team in all aspects of the game and not just scoring.   I know his shot will start to fall it's not that he doesn't practise enough.   There's been big changes to the team and a lot of leading the team has fallen on his shoulders and I think so far he has done a damn fine job in leading from the front.   So he has one low scoring game against Ohio State and the knives are out and you start to write him off.   Did anyone look at what else he did in that game?   He may not have shot well but he grabbed team high rebounds, had assists, blocked shots and I think a steal so he doesn't give up just because his shot isn't falling he is still battling away for the team.    To him it doesn't matter who top scores as long as the team wins and if someone has a hot hand he will give them the ball, he doesn't come off the court thinking I had a bad game because I didn't top score he's all for the team.   Plus now that he is becoming known he will start to get the best defensive player on him as he did against Ohio State.   So the challenge for him is to beat that player and find another way to score and to get it to others that are open.   So what's going to happen when Jay has a bad shooting game and lets hope he doesn't, is he going to get the same bagging as Ryan and Kevin have because of one game?   So yes valporun I do take offense because there is more to a basketball game than scoring and I know both Kevin and Ryan will bounce back because they are proud young men who play hard for the team."   

:clap:

sectionee

Jay plays best when the lights are brightest. He is a pure shooter, and is now serviceable if we need him o handle the ball. So far he has been the best shooter so far this season, hopefully Ryan will shoot his way out of this little funk. If we are comparing the 2 completely different players I'd say jay has a quicker shot and needs less space to put a 3 and Ryan is head and shoulders the best all around player on the team.

valpotx

I think most people on this board as well as VU fans overall know that Ryan is the most complete player we have.  He is probably the most complete player we have had since Lubos Barton, someone that can fill up the stat sheet in many different categories.  Koala, don't let one comment about Ryan affect what you think about VU fans.  Everyone can plainly see that he doesn't need to be the top scorer every game if he contributes in other ways, some fans just let one game get to them a little more than others.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chairback

Valporun's post has to be one of the worst posts I've ever seen in the history of the new and old forum.

Ryan's is doing everything out there.  He is one of the purist shooters Valpo has ever had.  To judge his shooting consistency over the first 7 games of this year is stupid.

valporun

I'm sorry I don't drink the same kool-aid everyone else does. I'd rather be a harsh critic of all of the sports and coaches at Valpo, than to butt-kiss and enjoy the rose-colored sunshine so many of you wish I was a part of regularly. From this point on, I'll post if I choose, but I'm very close to being done with this forum for good.

wh

Quote from: chairback on November 28, 2011, 06:04:34 PM
Valporun's post has to be one of the worst posts I've ever seen in the history of the new and old forum.

Ryan's is doing everything out there.  He is one of the purist shooters Valpo has ever had.  To judge his shooting consistency over the first 7 games of this year is stupid.

Actually, the worst post ever about Ryan was Milan Miracle's comment after seeing a game video of Ryan at the Australian Institute of Sport and saying he had a "low release point" on his jump shot.  It took months to live that one down, didn't it, MM?   ;)

On a more serious note, IMO Ryan has the best all around game in th HL.  And please spare me about Ray McCallum - not even close.  Butler and CSU - forget it.  Milwaukee - possibly one, but the player I'm thinking of shouldn't even be on the court yet.

koala

valporun I don't have a problem with you or anyone else criticising Ryan when he deserves it but when you have a go because his shot isn't dropping well that just takes the cake.   At least he isn't jacking up crap shots, if he did then I would expect everyone to have something to say even you  :)    You just seem to forget the hard work he does elsewhere around the court but luckily other posters don't.   All I am saying is give credit where credit is due but also be harsh on all the other players and not just single out Ryan.   He wasn't the only player to have a quiet game but at least he never gave up and tried to help in other ways.   

agibson

Quote from: chef on November 28, 2011, 04:33:07 PMI would hope everybody that regularly watches Valpo basketball understands that Ryan is clearly the best all-around player on the team.

Hear, hear.

valpospartan

Quote from: valporun on November 28, 2011, 08:24:55 PM
I'm sorry I don't drink the same kool-aid everyone else does. I'd rather be a harsh critic of all of the sports and coaches at Valpo, than to butt-kiss and enjoy the rose-colored sunshine so many of you wish I was a part of regularly. From this point on, I'll post if I choose, but I'm very close to being done with this forum for good.

Don't let the door......you know!

govalpogo

To be honest, I really don't read anything out of line with Valporun's original post.  I feel it is consistent with this thread's topic of praising Jay for his ability. I certainly do not see it as a drawing of the knives against Ryan.  He even said no offense was meant and that he wants to see both individuals play well.  If anything, the counter posts have been overly reactive. Yes, Mrs. Koala took offense, that's unfortunate...but Ryan is her son and these things will happen because she passionately supports his endeavors (quite admirably!), we don't need to send Run to the gallows for it though.  One of the worst posts ever? Ridiculous! There have been some really wonky things said here even over the last few weeks. 

I don't think that Ryan's work ethic, leadership, or value to the team were ever in question here. Ryan's shots will fall, and Jay is a nice compliment that has already proven very valuable.  If Butler/Valpo comes down to a last second shot on Sat...I think I would want Mr. Harris to take the shot based on his current hot hand.

FWalum

In valporun's defense I don't think his words where meant to be hurtful or are close to the worst post ever...  valporun was commenting on only one aspect of Ryan's game this year.  No one was saying that he was playing poorly overall.  valporun also said this:
QuoteWe need some consistent games from both Jay and Ryan, but it seems like Ryan has a good game, and Jay doesn't shoot. When Jay is on, it's because Ryan has been countered. While a good thing, I'd rather both of them being hot in the same game, because it opens up other guys to doing something because the defense focuses too much on Ryan or Jay, opening up Kevin, Richie, Vucic, and anyone else to be productive too.
That sounds right on to me.

Just for kicks I went back to the old forum and found part of the thread that wh talked about.  I don't think that at the time milanmiracle's post was all that bad based on that one video, we should just all be really happy that it looks so ridiculous now based on Ryan's performance at VU!

QuoteRe: Ryan Broekhoff
Dec 17, 2008, 12:04am fwalum wrote

QuoteDec 16, 2008, 8:52pm, milanmiracle wrote:

QuoteDec 15, 2008, 11:36pm, koala wrote:
Why all the bagging, if you did your homework on him you would find out that Broekhoff was The Bob Staunton medal winner for MVP at the under 20 Nationals in Feb this year. Awarded Basketball Australia Junior Male Player of the Year in July this year. Member of Australia's under 19 Emus. Scholarship holder at The Australia Institute of Sport. Let the kid get to Valpo and play he's 18 still growing into his long lean body and he has another 8 months at the AIS before he arrives in America.

Sorry, I forgot to drink the Kool Aid first. Geez, you report on what you SEE and the next thing you know everybody reports on how he's the greatest player in the Eastern Hemisphere.

I stand by my comments. His release point IS low, he IS open because of a zone that rotates much too slowly, and he didn't show any ball handling skills to speak of.

Look, he might be great and that video might not indicate what he's capable of, but it's what I saw and what I have to go by. That's all.

I really don't think I am drinking the KoolAid when I say that I don't think that his release point is particularly low. As a matter of fact I don't think that most good three point shooters have high release points. Of more concern is the ability to get the shot off quickly. It is hard to tell if he can get the shot off quickly because you are correct in saying that he is pretty wide open on all of these shots. We will only be able to tell when he gets to the "States" and we see him play next year against D1 competition.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Run - I remember talking you down off the ledge a few years ago when you considered leaving.  You have strong opinions, and at times strong opinions elicit strong rebuttals.  There's nothing wrong with either, as long as they're done respectfully.  As an alumnus and former athlete, your opinions add much value to the discussion.  Shake it off and get back in the game... ;)

rlh

Good bye !!!!!

koala

Oh how I'd forgotten the lack of loving Rowdy received at the start....oh to be reminded  :o   

cmack

I could never understand last year why Ryan did not get the same top billing that Johnson and Wood got.  I do wish his shot were more consistent, but he brings so much to the table even on a bad night.  I think he will leave with a greater legacy than Wood, Johnson or any of his contemporaries (although Van Wijk may challenge that).  Unfortunately sometimes we don't all see  anything but the points.

As for valporun, stick around please.  Even if I disagree with you, it is nice to have some people out there willing to bring a non-brown and gold tinted view.  Some of our posters, as RLH demonstrated so eloquently, are so close-minded that no discussion is acceptable short of discussing how wonderful Valpo is.