• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Todd's play by play

Started by chairback, December 03, 2011, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chairback

Just wanted to throw some kudos to Todd and his radio play by play.  What a wonderful job.  You truly bring excitement to listening to the game.

Valpo is lucky to have him doing the games.  It's funny to watch my family listen to the game.  The same emotions he portrays on the radio my family will portray in the house. 

You can always tell by his voice within seconds of turning on the radio if Valpo is winning or losing.

Great job Todd.

vu84v2

I truly enjoy Todd's broadcasting too.

When the video went out for quite awhile during the game, I switched to the radio broadcast.  Todd is light-years better than those Indianapolis guys that do their local TV boradcast.

Why Todd, after all these years, has not moved to a large school to do their broadcasts is beyond me (the money has got to be much better).  Regardless, we get to enjoy his confident and passionate broadcast.

valporun

I enjoy Todd's broadcasts too. In terms of why he's still at Valpo, from what I know, he is a businessman who likes to be more hands-on with his ventures, so going somewhere else, while have businesses around Valpo would hinder that hands-on opportunity. Also, I think his being a long-time broadcaster for Valpo football and men's basketball is more a "labor of love", and a lot of trust from the Valpo administration in what he does for the game broadcasts, and the positive light he continues to portray, even when the game outcome may not be in our favor. He still makes Valparaiso University be a great destination. This can't be said for a lot of the long time broadcasters at other schools.

StlVUFan

I was kinda bummed when I got home and fired up the WAKE website.  Apparently they're not archiving radiocasts this year like they did last year.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 04, 2011, 02:54:05 PMI was kinda bummed when I got home and fired up the WAKE website.

I hate to mention negative things on a positive thread - but I was slightly disappointed also, that they didn't manage to get a post-game interview yesterday.  Would have been great to hear from Bryce after the win.  Todd did apologize for it, on the air.

But, I agree, Todd's terrific.  We're very lucky to have him.

If only we could have Todd paired with Adam Amin, again!  Nothing against any of the guys who have done color since then - but that pair was fantastic.

historyman

I'm sure Todd will be totally embarrassed if he reads these comments.

I also have to include my compliments to Todd as a broadcaster and say that Valpo is very lucky to have him.

valpospartan

I have said this before (on the old board, i think).  I think that Todd is one of the best play by play person that I have heard.  Valpo is very lucky to have him.

covufan

Quote from: valpospartan on December 04, 2011, 08:39:16 PM
I have said this before (on the old board, i think).  I think that Todd is one of the best play by play person that I have heard.  Valpo is very lucky to have him.
I second this.  One of the best.  The Big Ten Network needs to pick him up for a few games that are within driving distance, and within his current schedule.

vu72

I would add that his basketball and football knowledge are second to none.  Always good to hear his enthusiastic voice!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on December 05, 2011, 10:17:23 AM
Quote from: valpospartan on December 04, 2011, 08:39:16 PM
I second this.  One of the best.  The Big Ten Network needs to pick him up for a few games that are within driving distance, and within his current schedule.

I add my compliments to the well-deserved praise already posted. Todd is an excellent play-by-play announcer. Also, yesterday during halftime of the Baylor-Northwestern game on the Big Ten Network, the announcers interviewed Homer, who was as personable and articulate as ever. He would be a great color announcer. I would love to hear a basketball broadcast with Todd and Homer as the announcers.

agibson

Sorry to have missed it.  The downside, I suppose, of switching to the WAKE stream during halftime.

Homer does have a color deal signed, doesn't he?  Not sure what will happen to that, given his family's illnesses.

But, yes!  It would be fanastic to pair he and Todd for a game, or a season.

vu84v2

That is a great idea about the Big Ten network picking up Todd to do a few games.  I am sure he would do a great job, though it would be interesting to hear him do a game that he is neutral about.