• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Is Butler "head and shoulders" better than Valpo?

Started by bbtds, March 21, 2011, 11:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Using the whole 2010-2011 season is Butler significantly better than Valpo ?

Yes-Butler is significantly better than Valpo
15 (51.7%)
No-Butler is NOT significantly better than Valpo
14 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: March 31, 2011, 11:16:24 PM

VULB#62

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 21, 2012, 10:18:10 PM
Valpo can win all the regular season championships they want, but until they get to the NCAA tournament, it's just a nice door prize. ..... Until Valpo can start making the dance on a regular basis and beat BCS conference teams, it's just not a reasonable comparison..... On the court, they're not that far apart, but clearly Butler has something figured out that Valpo doesn't...they beat legit BCS programs...Valpo can't.

I guess a lot of us are hoping this is the year that it all begins to happen.

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 21, 2012, 10:22:29 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on September 21, 2012, 10:18:10 PM
Valpo can win all the regular season championships they want, but until they get to the NCAA tournament, it's just a nice door prize. ..... Until Valpo can start making the dance on a regular basis and beat BCS conference teams, it's just not a reasonable comparison..... On the court, they're not that far apart, but clearly Butler has something figured out that Valpo doesn't...they beat legit BCS programs...Valpo can't.

I guess a lot of us are hoping this is the year that it all begins to happen.

Me included!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 21, 2012, 10:18:10 PMFrom my perspective, yes, Butler is head and shoulders above Valpo. I am talking about the programs, not individual seasons or a game or two.

That's fine (and I agree), except you're changing the question.  If you think the original question was bogus, just say so.  Don't answer a different question than what was asked.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on September 26, 2012, 12:47:32 PMDon't answer a different question than what was asked.

DING DING DING we have a winner
+1 internetz to you, sir.  (and thank you)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: StlVUFan on September 26, 2012, 12:47:32 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on September 21, 2012, 10:18:10 PMFrom my perspective, yes, Butler is head and shoulders above Valpo. I am talking about the programs, not individual seasons or a game or two.

That's fine (and I agree), except you're changing the question.  If you think the original question was bogus, just say so.  Don't answer a different question than what was asked.

You might want to go back and re-read the question and even a whole lot of the responses. I'm not the only one who answered the question that way.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 28, 2012, 09:29:21 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on September 26, 2012, 12:47:32 PM

You might want to go back and re-read the question and even a whole lot of the responses. I'm not the only one who answered the question that way.

Changes nothing, except maybe increasing the size of the intended audience of my retort.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on September 21, 2012, 11:26:46 AM

Quote from: vu72 on September 20, 2012, 12:02:58 PM
I hate to revive this but, the question is: Is Butler (NOW) head and shoulders better than Valpo, NOT, "Historically, is Butler head and shoulders better than Valpo"  If you still think "its not even a contest", then I suggest you examine our CURRENT roster one more time or perhaps check the scores from the previous four meetings.   ;)

Within the context of last season and the one at hand, I don't think even the multitude of know-nothing Butler message board fans would disagree with you that the tide has turned in Valpo's favor. 

I can't believe I missed the revival of this thread, especially since I set up a Google Alerts for the phrase "know-nothing Butler message board fans".  Putting my obvious issues with Google aside, with a third of the '12-'13 season in the books, I wonder if you still believe "the tide has turned in Valpo's favor".  After accumulating 4 BCS wins (including two in the Top-10) in the last month, I do think a few "know-nothing" Butler fans have probably sipped the Kool-Aid and are pleased with the status of their program.

HC

Butler is doing great so far!  I no longer have any issue cheering for them, as long they aren't playing Valpo or IU.

truth219

Butler would destroy valpo this year. Just my take. They play as a team and use their talents. We look lost and confused.

justducky

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 18, 2012, 05:19:32 PMI can't believe I missed the revival of this thread, especially since I set up a Google Alerts for the phrase "know-nothing Butler message board fans".  Putting my obvious issues with Google aside, with a third of the '12-'13 season in the books, I wonder if you still believe "the tide has turned in Valpo's favor".  After accumulating 4 BCS wins (including two in the Top-10) in the last month, I do think a few "know-nothing" Butler fans have probably sipped the Kool-Aid and are pleased with the status of their program.
Let me remind you that strutting around and crowing is highly discouraged on this board and that kicking people when they are down is absolutely forbidden. Shame on you!

wh

Quote from: zvillehaze on December 18, 2012, 05:19:32 PM
Quote from: wh on September 21, 2012, 11:26:46 AM

Quote from: vu72 on September 20, 2012, 12:02:58 PM
I hate to revive this but, the question is: Is Butler (NOW) head and shoulders better than Valpo, NOT, "Historically, is Butler head and shoulders better than Valpo"  If you still think "its not even a contest", then I suggest you examine our CURRENT roster one more time or perhaps check the scores from the previous four meetings.   ;)

Within the context of last season and the one at hand, I don't think even the multitude of know-nothing Butler message board fans would disagree with you that the tide has turned in Valpo's favor. 

I can't believe I missed the revival of this thread, especially since I set up a Google Alerts for the phrase "know-nothing Butler message board fans". Putting my obvious issues with Google aside, with a third of the '12-'13 season in the books, I wonder if you still believe "the tide has turned in Valpo's favor".  After accumulating 4 BCS wins (including two in the Top-10) in the last month, I do think a few "know-nothing" Butler fans have probably sipped the Kool-Aid and are pleased with the status of their program.

I can't speak to this year, but when Butler was in the HL their message board fans as a group were the most ignorant in the league.  There's no question about that.  You could tell by their posts that they never took the time to learn about any of the other programs.  Very few posts were ever insightful or substantive.  Rather, they were predictably flippant and condescending and showed very little knowledge of the game.  A large number of posters regularly engaged in one-upmanship with each other over petty issues.

The bottom line is a board of almost no value.  There are a handful of Butler posters, zville included, who do seem to be knowledgeable, fair-minded individuals, but they are clearly 3 standard deviations beyond the mean.  The Butler board is living proof that there is absolutely no relationship between the knowledge of the fan base and the success of the program.  If there were, Butler would have gone 4-28 a couple of years ago. 

SadersofthelostArc

Hilarious to read through this old thread!  Glad to see it resurrected.  VU72 was straight trollin' and you all were none the wiser. 

I really liked the posts from dcvalpo.  Insightful, honest, hilarious.  He is dearly missed.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on December 19, 2012, 11:36:41 PM
Hilarious to read through this old thread!  Glad to see it resurrected.  VU72 was straight trollin' and you all were none the wiser. 

I really liked the posts from dcvalpo.  Insightful, honest, hilarious.  He is dearly missed.

dcvalpo had a knack for igniting conversation. I will say that much. Does anybody have any doubts that Valpo is not on the same level as Butler anymore? After a win against #1 IU, I'm a steadfast believer that Butler IS head and shoulders better than Valpo. I love that we were able to soundly defeat them a couple of times last season, but I think those days are over. If we are fortunate enough to even get a game against them in the future, we will be an underdog for sure (as we always were looked at that way).