• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/9/12, 6pm: Valpo @ Cleveland State Game Thread

Started by vuweathernerd, February 06, 2012, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sliman

I didn't mean to imply that other schools might not get permission to skip the Bracketbuster for a year.  If one gets an opportunity for a national TV game against the defending national champion, who knows -- especially if the HL team was runner-up.

vu72

Sounds like a pretty solid atmosphere tonight.  Their fans are predicting over 5000 (their place seats 8500) so it won't exactly be like 5000 at the ARC, but still a good turnout.  Should be fun!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

I believe that if we can control and win the first and last five minutes of each half, we will have a good shot at winning this game, unless of course the wheels come off during any middle 10 minute stretch and we allow a run that we cannot overcome.  I honestly don't see that possibility happening though if we start and finish each half strong.  Hoping for the best.

valpo04

Don't forget you can watch the game and chat with your fellow Fan Zone members by opening up the "Game Day" portion, at the bottom of the message board.

historyman

If I was Edwards and Broekhoff I wouldn't go near a Cle State player if possible. That was a deliberate take out of Kevin. You can't leave that injured after a scrum.

historyman

I can't blame kenney at all for the intentional foul. You have to stand up for yourself somewhere.

Although it is time for Valpo to play the game instead of just waiting for the game to end and fight back the correct way.

VULB#62

Game over -- VU win (by a lot). Just caught most of the second half.  Seems like Bryce has got the boys playing better and better defense and playing overall smart ball.  Heard from the announcers that KVW was hurt.  Hope it wasn't bad.  The rest of you BB experts take it from here.  But VU is in first in the HL -- pretty cool.

vu72

Most dominating win of the year?  I think so.  No Kevin, no problem (let's hope he is OK)  And that Richie guy? Should be kicked off the team.  Way to good.  Looked like a Junior College All American.  We can't have that stuff!

Anyway, a GREAT win and we had them off their game from the opening tip.  Now, on to YSU and a must win!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Just got home from a church voter's meeting.  Saw the last 3 minutes. Could not believe my eyes when I saw the score.  Had tried to follow the game on Game Tracker but it was not working properly.  What happened to Kevin?  I am going crazy from information deprivation!!!!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Chef just said Kevin's knee injury did not seem too serious. Really hope Kevin can play against Youngstown. We have to play just as seriously against the Penguins as we did against Cleveland State. Can't take YSU lightly at all. Or UIC. Or Loyola.

drewsaders11

Amazing.  Holding Cleveland State to 41 points at their place, simply amazing.  41 points..that sounds more like a half than a final score. 

talksalot

First place with all the tie breakers...RPI Predictor was a 13-point CSU win...rare to see that off by 31 points on the spread...CSU was at 58 and Valpo at 103 for today's rankings...WarrenNolan's Realtime RPI shoots Valpo up to 85th... and drops CSU down to 68... OK, it's been a few years... and I know we have a ways to go... but for your consideration...
    Rose Garden, Portland, Oregon (Host: University of Oregon)
    The Pit, Albuquerque, New Mexico (Host: University of New Mexico)
    Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Host: Duquesne University)
    KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, Kentucky (Host: University of Louisville)
    Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State University)
    CenturyLink Center Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska (Host: Creighton University)
    Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennessee (Host: Ohio Valley Conference)
    Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina (Host: Atlantic Coast Conference)

Valpo-Baylor in the 14-3 game at the Pit in Albuquerque.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on February 09, 2012, 08:03:45 PM
Chef just said Kevin's knee injury did not seem too serious. Really hope Kevin can play against Youngstown. We have to play just as seriously against the Penguins as we did against Cleveland State. Can't take YSU lightly at all. Or UIC. Or Loyola.

early tweets are that it was in fact just a knee sprain. i would hope that he not play at ysu if at all possible, to get him some extra recovery time going into the home stretch. the less he plays saturday, the quicker it'll hopefully heal.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on February 09, 2012, 08:10:40 PM
First place with all the tie breakers...RPI Predictor was a 13-point CSU win...rare to see that off by 31 points on the spread...CSU was at 58 and Valpo at 103 for today's rankings...WarrenNolan's Realtime RPI shoots Valpo up to 85th... and drops CSU down to 68... OK, it's been a few years... and I know we have a ways to go... but for your consideration...
    Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina (Host: Atlantic Coast Conference)

Nashville, Louisville or Columbus but if it is Baylor than you're probably correct it would be in Albuquerque. Although as valpotx said El Paso is 10 hours from DFW so Waco is probably 12 hours from Albuqwirkque. Maybe Nashville is best for both Baylor and Valpo. 

EDIT: 12 hours to both Nashville & Albuqwirkque from Waco. 7 hours from Valpo to Nashville.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on February 09, 2012, 08:19:20 PM
Quote from: talksalot on February 09, 2012, 08:10:40 PM

Nashville, Louisville or Columbus but if it is Baylor than you're probably correct it would be in Albuquerque. Although as valpotx said El Paso is 10 hours from DFW so Waco is probably 13 to 14 hours from Albuqwirkque. Maybe Nashville is best for both Baylor and Valpo. 
Lets not start this now.  Such a long way to go. 

Please, more game impressions and recap.  Heard Rowdy's stats, sounded like a MONSTER game, any details?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Rowdy and Richie were unbelievable in the first half--not sure they missed any 3's, for a combined 25 ?  A bunch.  In the second half we controlled the clock, working it down and continued to hit shots.  Great defense (obviously) as CSU never got ANYTHING going.  Less TOs and better execution.  Got a few good minutes from Vuc in Kevin's absences.  Our depth really payed off.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
Rowdy and Richie were unbelievable in the first half--not sure they missed any 3's, for a combined 25 ?  A bunch.  In the second half we controlled the clock, working it down and continued to hit shots.  Great defense (obviously) as CSU never got ANYTHING going.  Less TOs and better execution.  Got a few good minutes from Vuc in Kevin's absences.  Our depth really payed off.
Thanks VU72.  Found this error in the ESPN game recap.

QuoteCleveland State's Aaron Pogue made a free throw 32 seconds in for the Vikings' only lead. The Crusaders then scored 17 straight, on five 3-pointers and two free throws. Broekhoff accounted for eight of those points.

Cleveland State, which took a 29-17 advantage into halftime, led by double figures the rest of the night.

I guess the outcome was a little bit of a surprise for whomever wrote the recap.  8)

valpopal

What a wonderful surprise: Valpo plays exceptional basketball and Cleveland State has its worst game of the year! Although CSU missed some easy shots and layups, the Valpo defense has definitely solidified as the season progressed.

Ryan set the tone with his great shooting, and he gets 24 points, 10 rebounds in the biggest game of the season. He must be considered a lock for Player of the Year now. Edwards comes up big when needed with Kevin out.

Other than Kevin's injury, which we all hope is merely a strain, the only other negative was that there were a few more turnovers than we would like, but that would be nitpicking after such a powerful performance.

Also, how important are the conference road games this year at Butler, Detroit, Milwaukee, and now Cleveland State! Imagine if the team had won the Summit games they should have: the record would be 21-5.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves and jinx the team by talking about a conference championship and home court tournament. However, if the Crusaders can win the conference, no matter what happens in the tournament, they should at least have a sure NIT invitation. In fact, the win tonight might have made the NIT a more likely possibility if Valpo doesn't make the NCAA tournament.

I hope the team doesn't dwell too long on tonight's game, and they focus on a victory at Youngstown State this Saturday.

vu72

If Valpo wins the regular season title they are guaranteed an NIT bid.

vu72

And, as a final thought tonight, (I need to calm down!!  ;)  We got a total of 7 points tonight from Jay, Matt, Ben and Will.  Obviously, we have other weapons when needed.  GO VALPO!!  ;D

vuweathernerd

how many layups did they miss in the first half?  ;)

vu84v2

Never saw a win like this coming...  Cleveland State played poorly, but Valpo played smart and great.  Great outside shooting always helps.

Key thoughts:
-Broekhoff's overall game was great - loved the coast-to-coast dunk when it looked like momentum might be swinging a little.
-Edwards obviously came up big with KVW out.  Besides his three-point shooting (heck he looks good shooting it), I thought his interior defense was solid.  Better positioning and use of his strength.
-Given than Valpo went into a more deliberate offense, I thought Buggs' play was very good.  With a few exceptions, he got them into the offense late in the shot clock and Valpo still got a lot of good looks (though there were a few stretches where Valpo was heaving up prayers).
-Valpo's overall defense took away the three from Cleveland State.  The zone was agressive and extended (I am sure Scott is wishing his zone was as effective last night - that got slaughtered with their zone)

Lastly...great coaching job by Bryce.  He loses KVW in the middle of the first half and spreads the minutes out efficiently (even a few serviceable minutes from Vucic).  No on played more than 33 minutes.  His strategy to extend the possessions was a little scary at first, but they got enough good shots in the last 10-15 seconds of the shot clock.

StlVUFan

Ya wanna know what impresses me the most?

Winning 5-on-8 on the road.

:thumbsup:  :clap:  :dance:

oklahomamick

I can't believe I missed this game.  Can someone fill me in how Kevin got hurt?  I also understand that one of our players received a Flagrant? Can someone explain what happened?  Did any of the Cleveland state players lose their heads when getting whooped at home and losing 1st place? 

I hope butler beats them Saturday and gives us a little more breathing room.  I'm glad Richie Edwards wasn't kicked off the team, he's come up big as of late.
CRUSADERS!!!