• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola @ Valpo (2/21) Game Thread

Started by 78crusader, February 19, 2012, 01:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: Flip Flop on February 21, 2012, 01:46:44 PM
Let's face it......we have a bunch of lame students....I will call them "nerds" and they have no school spirit....thank God we do have a few that
show up and support the team.  Tonight we should have 3500 to 4000, bet it is closer to 2800.  I hope I am wrong.
The local newspaper should have had it as their headline...VALPO TO PLAY FOR TITLE.....FRONT PAGE SPORTS....I am sure that is not the case.
BD will be gone in a heartbeat if the right job opens up.....maybe Northwestern....he deserves better support here.
Frustrated Fan

Jeez, give the fans and students some time.  When Valpo was always in the hunt for the Mid-Con, the students showed up for the games.  After a few years of not going to the Mid-Con championship, then the move to HL, the fans have not shown up as much.  Now that the team is competing for an HL championship, the fans will start to show up.  I think Bryce will be here for a few more years.  I, for one, am looking forward to our chances this year, and the future under Bryce.  He is getting my support!

agibson

I'll be watching this one from home.  The usual scenario: not worth the trouble/expense of a babysitter, can watch a bit of at home with the kids, the rest with the wife.  Or, I could go to the game by myself, perhaps.  I'll likely come out in-person Friday, even if a family conflict has developed....

I sort of stumbled across the fact that the game's going to be broadcast on WYIN (Lakeshore Public TV); did they make a bigger deal out of that, in the past?  I wonder what call they'll use.  If memory serves, Dick would sometimes do a TV call separate from Todd's radio call; but that's unfortunately not an option this year.

I'll be very curious to see how Valpo handles this one!  By rights, perhaps, we should give them a 10-20 point beat-down.  It'll be interesting to see how many minutes KVW plays, and to what effect.  Gibler (2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder) may be out, but he was also out in their victory over Bradley.

Go Valpo!

valporun

agibson, part of the attendance might be due to a family saying, "Why pay $80+ to go watch the game at the ARC, when I can watch on my HDTV by an HDMI-cable and computer for free/a few bucks, and have my own pop, popcorn, beer, pizza, whatever?" The students might do the same thing, this way they can do some homework at the same time?

In terms of the Lakeshore Public Television feed, that will be thru Loyola. Valpo used to be covered by LSPTV, but a few years ago, rlh said that they wouldn't be covering our games anymore because Lakeshore wanted VU to pay a major fee to broadcast the games.

vu84v2

The person responsible for the internet broadcast needs to be unemployed tomorrow morning...this is ridiculous.

okinawatyphoon

Sorry my chat isn't working, but this one is coming down to the wire. Knew they wouldn't go easy...
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

78crusader

Just got home...tied.  This is embarrassing.

okinawatyphoon

zvillehaze

Quote from: 78crusader on February 21, 2012, 08:52:36 PM
Just got home...tied.  This is embarrassing.

Your team just clinched the #1 seed ... are you still "embarrassed"??

okinawatyphoon

Wow, that was close! I wish that the HLN would have worked! Grrr.

govalpogo

Well, looks like many people predicted the difficulty of this game!  Thank God they won...what a terrible night of homework it would've been with another L to Loyola at home at the end of the season.  HL Champs...good.  NIT bid...better.  Beat Butler?...Icing on the cake.  Win the HL Tourney...that's the goal.

zvillehaze

Quote from: govalpogo on February 21, 2012, 09:23:34 PM
Beat Butler?...Icing on the cake. 

According to Lazerus, this game is "meaningless" ... no different than the IPFW or IUPUI games.  Winning won't help you get into the NCAA Tourney, so why try.  It's the "Valpo Way".   ??? (I know, I don't get it either, but that's the way they operate around here).

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

Oh, it's a huge game still! Butler is on a tear and Valpo desperately needs some momentum heading into the tourney.  Play your hearts out! But perform well without the pressure i.e. MO St. last year!  GO VALPO GO!

StlVUFan

I'm waiting for tourney tickets to on line.

valpofan11

Jeez, why are Loyola announcers announcing at VALPO?!!
Lakeshore is just horrible.

nkvu

My internet feed went down with 14 seconds to go in OT and I couldn't get the radio feed either.  You think that they would have that figured out by now.  :crazy:

dylanrocks

Quote from: zvillehaze on February 21, 2012, 09:28:56 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on February 21, 2012, 09:23:34 PM
Beat Butler?...Icing on the cake. 

According to Lazerus, this game is "meaningless" ... no different than the IPFW or IUPUI games.  Winning won't help you get into the NCAA Tourney, so why try.  It's the "Valpo Way".   ??? (I know, I don't get it either, but that's the way they operate around here).

If the Crusaders don't stem Butler's considerable momentum now, there may be no one who will.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpofan11 on February 21, 2012, 09:41:10 PM
Jeez, why are Loyola announcers announcing at VALPO?!!
Lakeshore is just horrible.

lakeshore sports doesn't cover valpo anymore, just the two chicago schools.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: nkvu on February 21, 2012, 09:48:19 PM
My internet feed went down with 14 seconds to go in OT and I couldn't get the radio feed either.  You think that they would have that figured out by now.  :crazy:

the quality of hln was as bad tonight as it's been in the three years of its existence. skipping, freezing, dropping - absolute disgrace.

nkvu

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 21, 2012, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 21, 2012, 09:48:19 PM

the quality of hln was as bad tonight as it's been in the three years of its existence. skipping, freezing, dropping - absolute disgrace.

Amen, brother!

MattCarter

Quote from: valpofan11 on February 21, 2012, 09:41:10 PMJeez, why are Loyola announcers announcing at VALPO?!! Lakeshore is just horrible.
Loyla PAYS Lakeshore TV to carry their games.  Valpo thought that was an insanely stupid idea that actually detracted from crowds at the ARC and thought they deserved to be compensated for the games airing on Lakeshore.  I agree with Valpo.  They would attract more donors than Loyola ever will on an Indiana station
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

DMvalpo18

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 21, 2012, 05:20:37 PM
Serious question:   Should Valpo continue to have a basketball team if it generates very little local interest or student interest?    Theoretically, you fund a Division I program because it generates excitement for the school and possibly impacts enrollment and donations,    If it is generating no buzz ANYWHERE even locally,......why spend a healthy sum each year to put a team on the court?      Just roll out a D-3 program and call it a day.   
I would HATE to  see it.  But I'm baffled by the apathy of the students and the community.  The tickets are a bargain and students get in free.   Joining the Horizon League ought to have boosted regular season crowds.   But I truly think we had better crowds come out to see UMKC or Southern Utah at the ARC than we see at the ARC on the webcasts now.     

Wow, you must not have been the ARC tonight. The scene there was exactly the opposite of what you are describing! I get your point though, since historically we have been barely noticed. That is, after the shot and up until just about now. Now that we have won the regular season HL crown, we have a good chance to get an ncaa tournament bid. If we do that, and bryce is the guy who brings valpo back to the tournament, then interest will undoubtedly go up! At least, you would think so...

MattCarter

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 21, 2012, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 21, 2012, 09:48:19 PMMy internet feed went down with 14 seconds to go in OT and I couldn't get the radio feed either.  You think that they would have that figured out by now.  :crazy:
It was probably because of the large amount of people who were trying to access it.  After all, its still the internet and is never perfect.  If all of a sudden a couple thousand people try and get on at the same time...well u get the idea...not that it helps any :)
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

sectionee

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2012/02/game-wrap-up-feels-good-to-be-1.html
We have video of the mid court celebration and a link to the locker room party.  Exciting way to win the title!

valpospartan

Some thoughts about the game:
First and foremost - Good win and congratulations on winning the HL!   :thumbsup:
Second - why was Buggs guarding Averkamp, down low, time after time?  :crazy:
Third - coaches are constantly telling players to raise their arms on defense.  The reason was illustrated by loyola, tonight, as they thwarted many VU passes because they kept their arms up.  ::)

Just my  :twocents: