• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Tournament Details

Started by agibson, February 22, 2012, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Sent out Feb 21 PM (after Valpo clinched) by the alumni association:

Valpo Men Clinch #1 Seed - Host Horizon League Basketball Tournament

LET'S GO VALPO!!

The Valparaiso University men's basketball team's win over Loyola Tuesday night solidified its place as Horizon League regular season champions. The victory earned the team a #1 seed in the upcoming Horizon League Tournament, which will be hosted by Valpo.

Be a part of Valpo history -- participate in the tournament games and events!

The tournament begins Tuesday, Feb. 28 with games at local sites featuring the third through tenth seeds. The tournament comes to Valpo Friday, March 2 for round two. The Crusaders will first play Saturday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the tournament semifinals. The championship game will take place Tuesday, March 6 at 8 p.m. All times are Central.
TICKETS
Tickets go on sale Wednesday, Feb. 22. For more information call 1-877-MY-VU-TIX or visit valpoathletics.com.

ALUMNI AND FAN RECEPTION AND PEP RALLY
Get pumped for the games at the official pre-game receptions. Wear your brown and gold and be sure to brush up on the Valpo Fight Song lyrics before shouting them along with the Crusaderettes and Cheerleaders as the Crusader Pep Band plays.

Saturday, March 3 – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Gather in Hilltop Gym inside the Athletics-Recreation Center (ARC). The reception menu includes creamy cole slaw, garden salad with ranch and Italian dressing, mac and white cheddar cheese, corn bake, potato skins with cheese and fixings, Southern fried chicken, BBQ pork rib-lets, corn cobbettes, Hoosier sugar cream pie and chocolate silk pie. Advanced registration is required. Wristbands will be issued to all registrants. Register online now. Call 800-833-6792, ext. 23 with questions. Reception passes are $10 per adult, $5 per child 10 and younger, and free for children two and younger. (Details on the reception to take place before the championship game on Tuesday, March 6 will be released following a March 3 Valpo win. Check your email or the alumni events page for more information!)

PARKING
Campus parking lots close to the ARC will be restricted for the tournament. Fans are encouraged to park in other lots on campus (view a Valpo campus map). Parking is also available on Lincolnway across from Horizon Bank (902 East Lincolnway) and the Uptown East Apartments.

TELEVISION AND WATCH PARTIES
Valpo's appearance in the semifinal round on Saturday, March 3 will be shown live on ESPNU starting at 7:30 p.m. The championship game will be broadcast live on ESPN starting at 8 p.m. Tuesday, March 6. All times are Central. Game "watch parties" may be planned in your part of the country. Visit valpo.edu/alumni/events  throughout the week as more information becomes available. If you are interested in organizing a watch party in your city, please send an email to alumni@valpo.edu.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT THE TOURNAMENT!

################
Updated info from a visit to the ticket office, February 22, 14:00 PM.

They're taking ticket pre-orders by fax, in-person, or by phone - with a credit card.  Pick a category of seat (General admission for the Friday second round is $10; Semifinals is two games on one ticket, $30 chairbacks, $20 bleachers, $10 HL students; Finals are the same price for one game.  Discounts available for groups of 10+).

agibson

So, watch parties planned - good fun (and might allow me to see the championship with other fans, while in NY).

And, they've been planning ahead: the menu's already set for the meal before the semi-final.

The message claims that tickets go on sale today, but I don't see anything (yet) on the athletics web pages.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 10:29:39 AM
So, watch parties planned - good fun (and might allow me to see the championship with other fans, while in NY).

And, they've been planning ahead: the menu's already set for the meal before the semi-final.

The message claims that tickets go on sale today, but I don't see anything (yet) on the athletics web pages.

I don't either, and I got the same email.  Just put a call in to the ticket office and had to leave a message.

agibson

Apparently they planned ahead in some areas a little more than in others ;)

valpotx

I may actually fly up for this semi-final game.  I couldn't book the trip assuming we get to the final, but since I have not been back in 8 years, it would be good to see a game like this and the campus renovations...tempting
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

As little as $150 round-trip on Spirit Airlines?

milldew72

If you're in the area, you can go by the ticket office and fill out the form in person.
That will save you any frustration in not getting through to the tix office on the phone.
And hey, the reason you can't get through on the phone is because the office is swamped with tix requests, so that's a good thing, right?

valpotx

It tells me $277 to O'Hare on 10 days notice through Spirit.  Not bad, as it used to be about $200 more/person when I was in school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: milldew72 on February 22, 2012, 11:45:29 AMIf you're in the area, you can go by the ticket office and fill out the form in person.

But where's the web form?

StlVUFan

Quote from: milldew72 on February 22, 2012, 11:45:29 AM
If you're in the area, you can go by the ticket office and fill out the form in person.
That will save you any frustration in not getting through to the tix office on the phone.
And hey, the reason you can't get through on the phone is because the office is swamped with tix requests, so that's a good thing, right?

I'm not in the area ;)

Actually, I got the email with the attachment, and might just go that route, if I can get to a Kinkos

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2012, 12:06:53 PM
It tells me $277 to O'Hare on 10 days notice through Spirit.  Not bad, as it used to be about $200 more/person when I was in school.

OK - the $150 may have been too late in the day Saturday to get to the game.

But how about Spirit, DFW <--> ORD, 5:45 -> 7:59 PM, 7:20 AM -> 9:33 AM, arriving Friday, returning Sunday, on Orbitz for $212.58.

Of course, you may have to pay more for friendlier flight times.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 22, 2012, 01:03:17 PMActually, I got the email with the attachment

Huh - which email was this?

I may wander by the ticket office...

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 22, 2012, 01:03:17 PMActually, I got the email with the attachment

Huh - which email was this?

I may wander by the ticket office...
From Jennifer Garrett, entitled Horizon League Tournament Information.

The thing is, I recall last year placing a provisional order for such tickets 2 weeks prior to the establishment of the tourney site.  What happened this year?  Actually, it was probably just putting my name on a list or something, but still.

valpotx

I am actually going to come in Thursday night at 5:45 pm, so that I can show my gf a little of Chicago on Friday, and then Valpo's campus Saturday before the game.  Thank you for pointing out Orbitz, as Travelocity has the flight at $277!

I just reserved 2 chairback seats for the semi-final, though it takes quite a few times to get through due to volume.  They don't tell you the seat numbers (probably in anticipation of season ticket holder selections?), just that they will reserve the 2 seats.
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

I just got through on the phone and got my order in.  Yay!  :dance:

valporun

valpotx, due to the volume of calls and orders, Cindy has always had a policy for non-season ticket holder calls to be the best available seats in the pricing section you choose. In terms of season ticket holders, I believe the HL has it as all seats are up for grabs in the pricing matters, so season ticket holders can sit in the same section they usually do, but they might not get the same seats they get for Valpo games.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 22, 2012, 01:28:37 PMThank you for pointing out Orbitz, as Travelocity has the flight at $277!

What I'd really recommend is kayak.com.  A great flight meta-search engine, that hits the airlines, the various middle-men etc.  Doesn't hit southwest, unfortunately.

I'm not used to so much variation between site in ticket price - maybe a Spirit phenomenon.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 22, 2012, 01:12:53 PMFrom Jennifer Garrett, entitled Horizon League Tournament Information.

The thing is, I recall last year placing a provisional order for such tickets 2 weeks prior to the establishment of the tourney site.  What happened this year?

Huh.  Looks like I wasn't on the mailing list.  I do see a note in my box from _January_ of 2009 offering pre-orders.

agibson

Just got back from the ARC.  They didn't seem _flooded_ with phone calls, but there was a steady stream, and only one person in the ticket booth.

It sounds like they don't yet know how many seats they have.  Media arrangements aren't finished yet, for starters.  They're taking pre-orders where you can pick a price category, basically (chairbacks, bleachers, or discounts for groups and HL students).  The form's not new - it was clearly printed before the outcome of the tournament was clear.  When you give them your request, and payment info, they time stamp the order.  I'm not sure what they'll do for season ticket holders, but it seems like they'll fill "best available in price category" according to time stamp.

You can do it by phone, in person, or by fax.  I have another copy of the form if someone would like e.g. a scanned or faxed version to fax in.

valporun

agibson, I don't believe season ticket holders get seat priority at all, since the university is doing all the ticket work for the conference. The conference has control over how seating works. What do I wonder is what the conference will do about fitting two pep bands in, since the open end usually has extra seating bleachers?

crusaderjoe

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 02:38:53 PM
Just got back from the ARC.  They didn't seem _flooded_ with phone calls, but there was a steady stream, and only one person in the ticket booth.

It sounds like they don't yet know how many seats they have.  Media arrangements aren't finished yet, for starters.  They're taking pre-orders where you can pick a price category, basically (chairbacks, bleachers, or discounts for groups and HL students).  The form's not new - it was clearly printed before the outcome of the tournament was clear.  When you give them your request, and payment info, they time stamp the order.  I'm not sure what they'll do for season ticket holders, but it seems like they'll fill "best available in price category" according to time stamp.

You can do it by phone, in person, or by fax.  I have another copy of the form if someone would like e.g. a scanned or faxed version to fax in.

I called the ticket office today and could not get through to a live person.  Do you know by chance whether the ticket office is taking pre-orders for the semis only or whether they are taking pre-orders for both the semis and the championship in the event that VU wins on Saturday?  I was just curious about this.

StlVUFan

They took my provisional order for championship game.  Cindy Eaton returned my call and said that online sale begins on Monday.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 22, 2012, 06:55:46 PM
They took my provisional order for championship game.  Cindy Eaton returned my call and said that online sale begins on Monday.

Thanks for the info!  I am going to call again tomorrow and see if I can at least scoop up a provisional for the championship.

valpotx

I would call a little after lunch, as I got through at that time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 22, 2012, 06:52:52 PMDo you know by chance whether the ticket office is taking pre-orders for the semis only or whether they are taking pre-orders for both the semis and the championship in the event that VU wins on Saturday?  I was just curious about this.

As Jim said, pre-orders are open for the finals as well.  Indeed, for all three rounds that can or might be played at Valpo.  I added info on prices to the bottom of the first note in this thread.

You can fax in your order as well.  # of tickets at what price point, name, address, email, credit card info.  Or I can get you a form if you want to fax in the "official" document.

At least yesterday, if you're getting no answer, it's probably because the one person in the office is currently on the phone.  But, there was definitely space between phone calls.  So, if you keep trying, you may be able to get through on repeated phone attempts.