• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Tournament Details

Started by agibson, February 22, 2012, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Odd!  Perhaps if you'd gone all the way back out the ticket booth, you might have gotten a more satisfactory reply.  I'm not sure how busy they were.

As I was fighting through a slow-moving mob to get into the ARC after the Detroit game, I was finally getting close to my seats, walking below the mezzanine, about to descend into section C.  There were a couple of middle-aged Butler fans (mixed gender group) considering the same descent, saying aloud, "Shall we try down there?  What's the worst that can happen?"  I explained none too politely that they'd be wasting my time, and theirs, that the game was sold out (close enough).  I should work on my hospitality!

But, I, too, am not keen on people taking others' assigned seats, particularly at an obviously well attended event!

letsgovu

agreed.  there is a huge difference between moving down after the game has started and there are huge areas of open seats, and plopping down in primo seats when it is clear that there are few seats that will remain unfilled. 

agibson

Tickets for the final seem to be selling reasonably well.  The bottom bowl didn't sell out in pre-orders, but it's close now.

If you want two together you can have row Q of section K (the one piece of the student section they sold publicly), or row JJ of section DD in the mezzanine (row JJ), row QQ of section CC, etc.  Lots of tickets left in section EE!  You can have row DD, for example.

Going to be tough to sell it out.  But, it would be fantastic - and potentially very helpful to the team - to generate the kind of atmosphere we had in the ARC Saturday nght.

Come on Valpo, support your team!  Be a part of history!  See some great basketball!  Be on ESPN!

valporun

I'm seeing this final much like how it was in 1980 with the US hockey team against the Russians. We beat them in the semis, then get a weaker team in the finals. I just hope fans don't feel a major letdown too early, otherwise the last 4-5 minutes of the game will be as exciting as playing IUPUI in 2002, and winning by 33.

valpotx

That IUPUI championship game was very fun to watch, I definitely would LOVE to watch a major beatdown of Detroit on ESPN come Tuesday  :).

In regards to the seating, that definitely should have been communicated better.  However, the Detroit poster's reaction is just stupid.  How can you blame a Valpo fan for wanting to take the seat they paid for (all tickets were for both games that day)?  I kicked some CSU fans out of my seats with ease on the chairback side.  There is always that awkward moment where you stare at each other, but I find that I generally have no trouble winning that battle  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Last year, in Milwaukee, a friend and I were moved out of our "unassigned seats" even though there was no one wishing to sit in them.  We went back to the upper deck end zone seats with the rest of the Valpo fans.
Beamin' Beacons

StlVUFan

Thanks historyman.  Two additional things:

1.  I saw Holman twice readily admit to a foul that was just called on him.

2.  The only timeout I say jr call was one he *had* to call to avoid a 5 seconds call.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 05, 2012, 06:48:10 AM1.  I saw Holman twice readily admit to a foul that was just called on him.

I saw similar episode and thought it might say a lot about his efforts at personal discipline and improvement.  A foul was called, he started to react, perhaps angrily, or at least in disbelief.  Then you could sort of see him catch himself, he and the ref exchanged a few (seemingly polite) words, and he nodded in acceptance and apparent understanding.  I could sort of imagine him getting angry... catching himself... and backing down.  Made me think positively of his chances after college.

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 05, 2012, 05:59:05 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on March 05, 2012, 06:48:10 AM1.  I saw Holman twice readily admit to a foul that was just called on him.

I saw similar episode and thought it might say a lot about his efforts at personal discipline and improvement.  A foul was called, he started to react, perhaps angrily, or at least in disbelief.  Then you could sort of see him catch himself, he and the ref exchanged a few (seemingly polite) words, and he nodded in acceptance and apparent understanding.  I could sort of imagine him getting angry... catching himself... and backing down.  Made me think positively of his chances after college.

Dennis Rodman used to do the same thing - raise his hand on select foul calls in order to convey to the refs that they actually got a call right.  It's all about control and manipulation.  Holman is either doing the same thing, or he's in the process of reforming his life as you suggest.  Readers' choice...