• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Good local press!

Started by agibson, February 27, 2012, 08:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

We have two local papers that do a fine job of covering VU basketball.

But, sometimes it does feel like we lag behind a bit, at least on the web pages: buried behind a raft of AP stories, etc.

It was great to see this one on the front page of the website!

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/vu-nwi-officials-prep-for-economic-jolt-from-horizon-league/article_c7bd55e7-cb1a-5cad-8d52-d19143ad199f.html

VU, NWI officials prep for economic jolt from Horizon League tourney

wh

I'm a little disappointed in some of the comments from posters from other HL teams about us hosting the tournament.  The City is really excited about hosting the tournament and is really rolling out the red carpet.  The color banners and signs saying "the City of Valparaiso welcomes Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship" are everywhere and really look great.  Valpo is an upscale community that features an amazing amount of shopping, eateries and lodging for a city its size.  The VU campus is beautiful.  The City is very clean and safe.  And yet, there are those who are poking fun at all the attention we're giving this.  One poster on the Butler board called it "cute."  What's wrong with making the HL Tournament a big deal in our community?  Isn't it better to have a host community that acts really proud about hosting and wants to treat its guests special?  I just don't get the criticism.   

jack

As the old saying goes, some folks would bitch if you hung them with a new rope! - In the end, they're just showing displeasure that VU beat them out. i think it's great what the city has done, and is doing to welcome the fans. I know I'm biased, but personally, I'd rather attend the tourney here at Valpo then on Butler's campus. A lot of history at Hinkle, and a great place to watch a game, but for the pre, between, and afterv games, I'd rather be hanging at VU.

valpotx

I think it is funny how Butler people build up their area to more than it is.  I have nothing against Indianapolis, but in comparing a city in similar size (around 850,000-900,000 people in both), Fort Worth is much more humble.  TCU is the D-1 school in Fort Worth, and you won't find their students consistently mocking their opponent's city, and they play in places like Laramie, Wyoming (until next year)!!  Hell, you would think they live in Dallas, Chicago, New York City, or Los Angeles with the way they speak...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2012, 11:35:12 AM
I'm a little disappointed in some of the comments from posters from other HL teams about us hosting the tournament.  The City is really excited about hosting the tournament and is really rolling out the red carpet.  The color banners and signs saying "the City of Valparaiso welcomes Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship" are everywhere and really look great.  Valpo is an upscale community that features an amazing amount of shopping, eateries and lodging for a city its size.  The VU campus is beautiful.  The City is very clean and safe.  And yet, there are those who are poking fun at all the attention we're giving this.  One poster on the Butler board called it "cute."  What's wrong with making the HL Tournament a big deal in our community?  Isn't it better to have a host community that acts really proud about hosting and wants to treat its guests special?  I just don't get the criticism.   

true that. minot's roughly the same size (population-wise) as valpo. and i'd take valpo over minot in a heartbeat. even if the weather's awful there and fantastic here.

agibson

The weather's fantastic in Minot?!  Consistently?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on February 28, 2012, 07:21:04 PM
The weather's fantastic in Minot?!  Consistently?

nope. but even if it were, i'd still pick valpo over here.

valporun

It sounds like nerd is homesick for some civilization? If you're not one with the fish during the winters, you're a hermit, right?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on February 28, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
It sounds like nerd is homesick for some civilization? If you're not one with the fish during the winters, you're a hermit, right?

oh you have no idea. the sad thing is my job keeps me somewhat sane. i drive past lake darling a lot on my way out to my sites, and it's sheer craziness with the shacks and trucks on the ice out in the middle of the lake. ice fishing is apparently quite popular up here. the worst part was that with valpo, i could get to just about anything i needed within an hour and a half, as the farthest i would have to go would be chicago. here, i have to check bismarck, fargo, and then minneapolis in the hopes of finding what i'm looking for. and all three are at least twice as far (mileage) as chicago was from valpo.

valpopal

Excellent article on the 1995 Valpo team that started a tradition of winning. It features Dave Redmon, one of my favorite Valpo players of all time, and it reminded me of the exciting triple-overtime championship game, a real classic.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/men-s-hoops-championship-initiated-years-of-success-at-valparaiso/article_59ef1a1c-e557-573e-bf26-a8626ae4f4a0.html