• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

BWood comment about Detroit game

Started by wh, March 08, 2012, 05:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Not sure what to make of his "didn't tug on my heart" comment (bottom of article).  Any thoughts?

http://mobile.mlive.com/advannarbor/pm_105108/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=V5hODdku

lowposter

Not many thoughts.

BW is history at VU.  He moved on.  VU moved on.  He has had a great year of experience, picked up a Masters Degree, and hopefully prepared for the NBA.

lowposter

Valpo89

I'm pretty sure that Brandon and Ray Jr. were close growing up. Ray may have dated one of Brandon's relatives, or Brandon dated one of Ray's relatives. Goes back to when McCallum's were in Muncie and Brandon in Kokomo.

hoopfan22

Quote from: lowposter on March 08, 2012, 06:22:53 AM
Not many thoughts.

BW is history at VU.  He moved on.  VU moved on.  He has had a great year of experience, picked up a Masters Degree, and hopefully prepared for the NBA.

lowposter

What NBA?

chef

Brandon dated Ray Jr.'s cousin, JaRob McCallum's sister. Those McCallum's were in Marion when Brandon was in Kokomo. Ray Jr. actually played at Bloomington North when Ray Sr. was sleazing it up with Kelvin Sampson at IU. Most of Ray Jr's early years were in Houston when Ray Sr. was giving the Cougar program a black eye.

DMvalpo18

Not trying to be like a mod or anything here, but should we still be keeping Brandon Wood discussions in the main section for VU basketball? Like, lowposter said, he is history to us, and vice-versa. We can still talk about him if we want to, but it shouldn't be a part of the current conversation of Valpo hoops. Just my  :twocents:

hoopfan22

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 08, 2012, 10:17:12 AM
Not trying to be like a mod or anything here, but should we still be keeping Brandon Wood discussions in the main section for VU basketball? Like, lowposter said, he is history to us, and vice-versa. We can still talk about him if we want to, but it shouldn't be a part of the current conversation of Valpo hoops. Just my  :twocents:

We have a thread devoted to Ray Mccallum Jr...he's history to us and vice versa as well.

valporun

Quote from: hoopfan22 on March 08, 2012, 10:27:40 AM

We have a thread devoted to Ray Mccallum Jr...he's history to us and vice versa as well.

The thread about Ray Jr. was relevant to a game we played in the current season, so I have no problems with that thread, but one that talks about BWood's opinion on Tuesday's game doesn't make sense here or there.

hoopfan22

Agreed about this one...that one doesn't make sense to me either though  ???

valpotx

Unfortunately, he will probably have to take the D-League route (like Ali Berdiel and Ron Howard), and win an NBA job that way, otherwise he will be overseas.  Scoring 8.2 ppg and 3.0 rpg won't get him drafted.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mp91

I think you guys are blowing these comments out of proportion...bWood said that he was rooting for valpo, what more do you want from him??  Don't be bitter just because he left valpo to chase his dream (whether it was the right decision or not).  He said nothing wrong here.

The tugging on the heart comment was likely prompted by the writer's question and that's probably why he used that phrase... so calm down

(Plus besides having friends on Detroit, he also has to cater to the Michigan media market and be respectful to Detroit to avoid a potential backlash)

valpotx

I'm perfectly fine with his comment, so I assume you are referencing others.

In regards to his choice to leave Valpo, I think it worked out well for both programs.  I am not convinced that we would have been better with him, as that takes away shots from KVW and Rowdy.  It is a totally different dynamic with another scorer on the team, and I don't think we win the HL with Bwood, as good as he is.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2012, 12:12:07 PM

In regards to his choice to leave Valpo, I think it worked out well for both programs.  I am not convinced that we would have been better with him, as that takes away shots from KVW and Rowdy.  It is a totally different dynamic with another scorer on the team, and I don't think we win the HL with Bwood, as good as he is.

I totally agree. I don't think this Valpo team would have gone as far as they did with Brandon Wood on the team.

wh

Quote from: mp91 on March 08, 2012, 11:57:50 AM
I think you guys are blowing these comments out of proportion...bWood said that he was rooting for valpo, what more do you want from him??  Don't be bitter just because he left valpo to chase his dream (whether it was the right decision or not).  He said nothing wrong here.

The tugging on the heart comment was likely prompted by the writer's question and that's probably why he used that phrase... so calm down

(Plus besides having friends on Detroit, he also has to cater to the Michigan media market and be respectful to Detroit to avoid a potential backlash)

Thanks for the concern, but I'm not worked up (if you're referring to me).  When I read the article, it struck me that Brandon's level of support for his former teammates sounded a little tepid, I guess you would say.  I wasn't certain I had the right impression, so I thought I would open it up for discussion.  Not much more to it than that.  While I'm commenting, I did find it interesting that the story indicated that Brandon left Valpo because he didn't think he could make it to the NCAA tournament here.  That's the first I have ever heard that.  The move was always portrayed as MSU providing a better springboard to the NBA.  Now that that's out of the realm of possibility it sounds like the story has changed - not that it really matters.   

sliman

Brandon deserves the same level of respect we show all our graduates.  As for his comments as used by reporters, keep in mind, as someone previously noted, that the question often shapes the answer.  The reporter can usually get an answer he wants/expects to hear this way and reports it accordingly.  It might not be what the player would say if asked to comment without having to answer a specific question.  Our players have been caught giving less than perfect answers over the years as well and sometimes the answer leaves the wrong impression.  Brandon came to one of our games and has consistently praised his experience at Valpo.  Give him a break!

wh

Quote from: sliman on March 08, 2012, 03:21:01 PM
Brandon deserves the same level of respect we show all our graduates.  As for his comments as used by reporters, keep in mind, as someone previously noted, that the question often shapes the answer.  The reporter can usually get an answer he wants/expects to hear this way and reports it accordingly.  It might not be what the player would say if asked to comment without having to answer a specific question.  Our players have been caught giving less than perfect answers over the years as well and sometimes the answer leaves the wrong impression.  Brandon came to one of our games and has consistently praised his experience at Valpo.  Give him a break!

No one's not "giving him a break."  Sounds like maybe you need to do a better job of reading for understanding - or go take a chill pill.

covufan

Do we not have other threads to former VU players that have graduated?

Crusader03

Well, someone had to step up to make sure the trash gets in the can.  Normally, valpo04 or ValpoHoops would be on this right away, but...let's just say, sometimes when you're in charge (04) you let your irresponsible, unqualified nephew (wh) get a job on the truck and you just sort of overlook his shoddy performance.

Kudos to you DMV!  Can we possibly get him mod powers???

DMvalpo18

Quote from: covufan on March 08, 2012, 03:50:08 PM
Do we not have other threads to former VU players that have graduated?

Sure, but I personally don't think it fits in to current VU basketball. It is a separate discussion.