• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Gary Williams to Retire Tomorrow

Started by valpo04, May 05, 2011, 05:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

QuoteAfter 22 years coaching at the University of Maryland, Gary Williams stunned the college basketball world Thursday by abruptly announcing his retirement from his alma mater.

"It's the right time," Williams said in a news release.  "My entire career has been an unbelievable blessing.  I am fiercely proud of the program we have built here.  I couldn't have asked any more from my players, my assistant coaches, the great Maryland fans and this great university.  Together, we did something very special here."

Maryland will host a news conference Friday at 1 p.m. at Comcast Center. The public is encouraged to attend.

QuoteIn 33 years as a head coach at American, Boston College, Ohio State and Maryland, Williams went 668-380 (.637), reaching 14 NCAA tournaments, winning three ACC regular-season titles, making seven Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights, two Final Fours and winning the 2002 national championship. Williams was named the National Coach of the Year in 2002 and the ACC Coach of the Year in 2002 and 2010.

:clap:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bal-gary-williams-retires-from-maryland-0506,0,1913430.story

valpo04

Coaches who have been linked to the Maryland job through media reports and sources:

Mike Brey, Notre Dame: In 11 years coaching the Irish, the Bethesda native has gone 238-120, including 27-7 last season. He played for and coached under famed DeMatha coach Morgan Wootten, and graduated from George Washington University. He was one of Mike Kzyzewski's top assistants at Duke before becoming the head coach at Delaware, where he went 99-52 with two NCAA Tournament appearances before leaving for Notre Dame. Owns a summer home in Rehoboth Beach, Del. A source close to Brey told the Chicago Tribune that Maryland has contacted his representatives, but that he's working on an extension with Notre Dame.

Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh: Head coach of the Panthers since 2003, he hasn't missed an NCAA Tournament with the Panthers, compiling a 216-60 record for the Big East School. The 45-year-old Dixon is a strong recruiter in the Baltimore and D.C. areas. His sister, Maggie, was hired by Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson at Army, where she coached one season (2005-06) and reached the NCAA Tournament. After the season, she died from a heart condition at 29.

Jay Wright, Villanova: He's had success at Hofstra and Villanova and is also considered a strong East Coast recruiter. At Hofstra from 1994-2001, he went 122-85 with two NCAA Tournament appearances. In 10 years at Villanova he's 224-110 and made the NCAA Tournament the last seven years. He's 49.

Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth: Possibly the hottest coach in college basketball after taking VCU to the Final Four, Smart reportedly spurned several big name schools to stay at the CAA school, where he reportedly agreed to an eight-year contract extension at $1.2 million a year. The 34-year-old Smart is 55-21 in two years as a head coach.

Sean Miller, Arizona: The former Pittsburgh point guard won 30 games last season at Arizona and took the Wildcats to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. He went 120-47 at Xavier including four NCAA Tournament appearances in five seasons. The 42-year-old knows the ACC. He was an assistant coach at North Carolina State for five years.

Brad Stevens, Butler: On every school's wish list, the 34-year-old is 117-25 in four seasons with the Bulldogs, including two straight NCAA Tournament championship game appearances. He signed a long-term extension with Butler after his first Final Four appearance.

Rick Barnes, Texas: In 13 seasons, he's 322-123 and has gone to the NCAA Tournament every year. Before taking over the Longhorns, Barnes coached in the ACC at Clemson for four seasons, reaching the NCAA Tournament his last three. The 56-year-old, who also was head coach at Providence and George Mason, was an assistant under Gary Williams at Ohio State in the mid-1980s.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-terps-replacements-0506-20110505,0,1043895.story

vuweathernerd

for what it's worth, i bet stevens' name has been rumored for every available coaching job for the last 2 off-seasons.

rlh

I think eventually he will leave Butler, but then again, Homer Drew never left Valpo.  Sometimes you just feel safe and secure at one institution and you stay for more than just the money. 

covufan

I'm surprised by the timing of his announcement.  Hard to believe he was at Maryland for 22 seasons.  Seems like yesterday when he was at Ohio State.

valpo04

Mark Turgeon accepts Maryland offer

QuoteMark Turgeon ultimately weighed a golden opportunity to be at a tradition-rich basketball school in the ACC against continuing where he was comfortable at an emerging program deep in Texas.

QuoteThe Terps had previously attempted to woo Arizona coach Sean Miller with Anderson flying to meet with the Wildcats coach on Saturday in Las Vegas. Miller, however, chose to stay in Arizona and received a contract extension.

"It was an opportunity that I really felt in the best interests of our own family and myself to at least pause and consider," Miller said Monday of his flirtation with Maryland. "By doing that, it also really strengthens your belief on the place that you're at."

Notre Dame's Mike Brey and Butler's Brad Stevens were also on the Terps' list but both coaches elected to stay put.

"There really wasn't much to it, other than some speculation from down there [Maryland] and I understand that with a coaching search," Brey told reporters Monday.

Initial inquiries by Maryland to Pitt's Jamie Dixon and Villanova's Jay Wright were also rebuffed.

valpo04

Turgeon is the 8th head coach in the 88 year history of Terps Basketball. And only 4th since 1969.

vuweathernerd

the quote i heard from espn about this was that he felt there were better opportunities at maryland than a&m's shot at being competitive in the big 12. not sure who that's more telling of. especially considering the aggies finished last year 24-9 and 24th in the land (ap).

covufan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 10, 2011, 06:47:45 PM
the quote i heard from espn about this was that he felt there were better opportunities at maryland than a&m's shot at being competitive in the big 12. not sure who that's more telling of. especially considering the aggies finished last year 24-9 and 24th in the land (ap).

I think the aggies definitely have improved over the last several years - but Maryland and the ACC will always have more opportunities in basketball than A&M and the Big 12 (10, whatever). 

agibson

I guess Gary Williams' retirement pushes Homer back up to 6th on the active wins list?

Homer passed Jerry Slocum this year, but then Roy Williams caught Homer.  I suppose retirements are the only way Homer's going to move any higher on that list.

(But, early next season Homer should pass Gene Bartow on the all-time list!  And, with a very good season, would pass John Wooden.)

Though, with a bad year, Bo Ryan (or, heaven forbid, Jerry Slocum), might catch Homer.