• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler to move to the A-10?

Started by valpopal, March 12, 2012, 07:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gametime

I would really like to see Butler stay in the Horizon League. With the talent they are going to have on their team next year, they should be a very strong team and possibly be able to make another deep run in the NCAA Tournament. Would love for them to be a part of the Horizon League. However, it seems in the best interest for them to move to the A-10.

valpo84

I would second the move to try to bring in X, STL and/or Dayton. All three make sense and would help reunite the old MCC (Midwestern Collegiate Conference). Another interesting one would be DePaul. That program may be bringing in more dollars from being in the BigLeast now, but as that conference continues to spread geographically and DePaul continues to not be in the top half, they should consider a shift to a conference that reduces costs in other sports but keeps basketball as a prestige sport. Plus the rivalries in the Chicago area with UIC, Loyola and Valpo might help the Tribune actually pay attention to the Horizon.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vuweathernerd

is there any truth to the dirty rumor mill about depaul and the big east going their separate ways? if so, any chance we could drag them into the horizon as a replacement?

valpotx

Depaul doesn't have baseball, but I imagine would be instantly considered. 

Edit:  I love reading the Butler board, and how several posters never look into the facts of our games, as they just love dumping on VU so much to really care to do so.  Our game was not a blowout, it was close the whole way until about 3:30 left in the game, when a six-man rotation couldn't keep up anymore.  It's one thing to not like another school, but at least research the game, rather than just going off of a score at the bottom of ESPN...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Gametime

Quote from: valpotx on March 15, 2012, 01:17:05 AMDepaul doesn't have baseball, but I imagine would be instantly considered. Edit:  I love reading the Butler board, and how several posters never look into the facts of our games, as they just love dumping on VU so much to really care to do so.  Our game was not a blowout, it was close the whole way until about 3:30 left in the game, when a six-man rotation couldn't keep up anymore.  It's one thing to not like another school, but at least research the game, rather than just going off of a score at the bottom of ESPN...

Who cares what Butler's Board said. It's a few people from a forum. Valpo played tough.

I just took a look at their board. I may be wrong, but I only see one person saying that Valpo was blown out. If there is truly only one person saying that then I don't see a need to add a comment on this board about it and refer to that one person as the Butler Board.

valpotx

I didn't say that the Butler Board as a whole speaks this way, or that I truly care, just that 'several posters' seem to be pretty clueless.  Yes, that can be said about any forum.  Also, I was not just referring to this game, but our games in general.  It was just an observation about a few posters on their board that take fan extremism...to the extreme  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

courtesy of espn's mark neal on the twitterverse:

Just spoke w/ someone in the know, and this #Butler to the #A10 is more than interest, it is all but a done deal.

Gametime

Well hopefully it is true. If they stick around in the Horizon League, I think Brad Stevens will move on. It really sucks that they would be leaving after their worst season in many years, but in my opinion it is the best choice for them.

I know this has been addressed, but I wonder if the Valpo Butler games will continue. I'm sure Valpo would want to keep the rivalry going, but I'm not sure Butler would. If they were in the A-10, then I'm sure they would find new rivals, especially Xavier. To be honest, from what I have seen, I don't think Butler has really ever considered Valpo to be their rivals (I'm sure that has changed this year). It seems to be a one way rivalry in my opinion. Call it being smug if you want, but I just think they have larger cross hairs on different teams. That doesn't take anything away from Valpo, however.

valporun

Unless Butler is willing to pay the "out" money to jump ship after this athletic year, it won't happen until the 2013-2014 season. Don't forget the schedules for next season are already made, so unless the pay up the arse to leave this spring, they'll still be in the HL next season.

crusadermoe

This is disappointing, but understandable.    Butler needs to leverage their run twice to the Finals somehow.    Hats off to them.   
The good news is we might keep Butler in our league long enough for our strong senior class to square off one last season. 
As far as new adds to the HL....I really like the DePaul idea and it would help their non-revenue  sports greatly.    Actually I think Bradley might consider leaving MVC but I'm  not sure we in the HL gain much from adding the Peoria media market.    However, Bradley a much better add than Oak, IUPUI, or "Mastadons".   If you're Bradley don't you want to play in front of alumni in Chicago and Milwaukee more than traveling to the smaller more distant MVC cities.   

gmoser1210

I'm pretty sure Temple doesn't leave the A-10 until the 13-14 season anyway, although they start Big East football in 12-13.

For what it's worth, I also have enjoyed playing Valpo and I know I'm not the only Butler fan who likes the rivalry.  Good coaches, good kids, and good games.  I wish you had a better gym, but I'm sure there are some of you who may not like Hinkle.

To the people who root for Butler in the post-season -- I was rooting for you guys in the NIT.  Disappointing loss, but hopefully you can build on this season for next year.  The fact of the matter is that Butler is the only team in the league that has received, or would have received if needed, an at-large bid since 1998.  I'd like to see that change, but HL teams seem to have problems winning against good opponents out-of-conference. 

While some Butler people are certainly smug, I think some of the cases of smugness you perceive are actually frustration with other teams in the league who under-perform.  Generally, we want the other teams in the league to do well.  Believe it or not, I don't revel in your defeat.  When you do well, it makes the conference look good, which makes my school look good.  I don't want you to beat Butler, but I do want you go beat Miami.

I could write more, but you've probably already stopped reading.   ::)

okinawatyphoon

I am rooting for DePaul. Big name and exposure in the Chicago area, and great academics.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

StlVUFan

Quote from: gmoser1210 on March 15, 2012, 09:23:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Temple doesn't leave the A-10 until the 13-14 season anyway, although they start Big East football in 12-13.

For what it's worth, I also have enjoyed playing Valpo and I know I'm not the only Butler fan who likes the rivalry.  Good coaches, good kids, and good games.  I wish you had a better gym, but I'm sure there are some of you who may not like Hinkle.

To the people who root for Butler in the post-season -- I was rooting for you guys in the NIT.  Disappointing loss, but hopefully you can build on this season for next year.  The fact of the matter is that Butler is the only team in the league that has received, or would have received if needed, an at-large bid since 1998.  I'd like to see that change, but HL teams seem to have problems winning against good opponents out-of-conference. 

While some Butler people are certainly smug, I think some of the cases of smugness you perceive are actually frustration with other teams in the league who under-perform.  Generally, we want the other teams in the league to do well.  Believe it or not, I don't revel in your defeat.  When you do well, it makes the conference look good, which makes my school look good.  I don't want you to beat Butler, but I do want you go beat Miami.

I could write more, but you've probably already stopped reading.   ::)

For me, the reaction is purely emotional, for reasons I can't really pin down.  I was looking forward to Valpo having more of a chance to rise to the challenge that Butler has laid down.  It's no fun to be left behind ;)

I have no objective argument against the move.

Gametime

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 15, 2012, 09:17:43 PM
This is disappointing, but understandable.    Butler needs to leverage their run twice to the Finals somehow.    Hats off to them.   
The good news is we might keep Butler in our league long enough for our strong senior class to square off one last season. 
As far as new adds to the HL....I really like the DePaul idea and it would help their non-revenue  sports greatly.    Actually I think Bradley might consider leaving MVC but I'm  not sure we in the HL gain much from adding the Peoria media market.    However, Bradley a much better add than Oak, IUPUI, or "Mastadons".   If you're Bradley don't you want to play in front of alumni in Chicago and Milwaukee more than traveling to the smaller more distant MVC cities.   

I believe if Butler does leave, they will still be in the Horizon League next year. According to the original quote from ESPN
QuoteButler has expressed interest in joining the Atlantic 10 and replacing Temple, according to multiple sources. The Bulldogs are intrigued by the major media markets and, of course, the increase in competition with Xavier, Saint Louis and Dayton among others. The A-10 will lose Temple in the fall of 2013 and must add a quality basketball program.
I believe Butler wouldn't be a part of the A-10 till the 2013-2014 year. Meaning that the strong senior class of Valpo and the highly anticipated Dawgs will have a change to square off.

vu72

Hopefully, if they do leave, it won't be until 2013-2014 and we will have one more year to show we have an athletic department that is every bit as good as the dawgs.  As I stated earlier, there is no "Valpo having more of a chance to rise to the challenge that Butler has laid down." We have been in the league for what? Five years? And, in the sports that matter,(football,men's and women's basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball and baseball) we outperformed the bulldogs in all of them other than football and women's basketball.  Even in the latter, we swept them this year. Of course we will continue to have the chance to beat them in football.

No sour grapes here, just the fact that our programs are every bit as good as theirs and in most cases better.  It took us a few years to bring in higher quality players but we did it and I suspect that record will continue.  I wish them good luck as well.  It will be too bad to lose our longest standing rival, but, life goes on...

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

I maintain what I said about the Butler, with the caveat that I am *only* talking about men's basketball.  The fact that we swept them this year is not nearly enough evidence to indicate we have met their standard, much less exceeded it.

Gametime

Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2012, 09:19:31 AMHopefully, if they do leave, it won't be until 2013-2014 and we will have one more year to show we have an athletic department that is every bit as good as the dawgs.  As I stated earlier, there is no "Valpo having more of a chance to rise to the challenge that Butler has laid down." We have been in the league for what? Five years? And, in the sports that matter,(football,men's and women's basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball and baseball) we outperformed the bulldogs in all of them other than football and women's basketball.  Even in the latter, we swept them this year. Of course we will continue to have the chance to beat them in football.

No sour grapes here, just the fact that our programs are every bit as good as theirs and in most cases better.  It took us a few years to bring in higher quality players but we did it and I suspect that record will continue.  I wish them good luck as well.  It will be too bad to lose our longest standing rival, but, life goes on...

I disagree with the men's basketball portion. Out performing the Men's Basketball team? Ya this year, but overall? You have to be joking.

Sweeping Butler in what is clearly their year of rebuilding does not prove much.
Look at their record.
                   Overall      Conference
2007-2008  30-4             16-2 1st NCAA Appearance
2008-2009  26-6              15-3 1st NCAA Appearance
2009-2010  33-5              18-0 1st NCAA Runner Up
2010 - 2011 28-10           13-5  tied 1st    NCAA Runner Up
2011-2012   21-14           11-7  tied 3rd   CBI Appearance

Valpos record
2007-2008    22-14          9-9   tied 4th CBI
2008-2009    9-22            5-13 9th     
2009-2010    15-17         10-8 tied 4th
2010-2011     23-12        12-6 4th        CIT
2011-2012    22-12         14-4 1st       NIT

Once Valpo's Men's Basketball team can make it to the NCAA tournament again and win a few rounds, then your statement will have a little bit more validity to it.

As stated here in this thread before. Just because you have had recent success against the benchmark team of the league, doesn't mean that the program is on the same level. Send Broekhoff and KVW, like Butler sent their would be seniors, to the NBA and see if Valpo can manage to stay on top.

vu72

Thanks for the long winded response.  I was talking about the current situation.  We've only been in the Horizon for five years and took a while to get up to speed.  On a broad basis--across many sports, Valpo has gotten to a point where we are better than Butler.  As for taking players away, we could say the same thing.  Haanpaa, Bouchie, Wood?  Get the picture?

I never said our record in the NCAAs was better than Butler.  The validity of my statement is just fine, thank you.  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Gametime

Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2012, 03:40:35 PMThanks for the long winded response.  I was talking about the current situation.  We've only been in the Horizon for five years and took a while to get up to speed.  On a broad basis--across many sports, Valpo has gotten to a point where we are better than Butler.  As for taking players away, we could say the same thing.  Haanpaa, Bouchie, Wood?  Get the picture?

I never said our record in the NCAAs was better than Butler.  The validity of my statement is just fine, thank you.  ;D

Didn't Haanpaa, and Wood graduate? I'm referring to Butler players that left for the NBA after their sophomore and junior year, not a different school or graduated... there is a bit of a difference.

Take Butler's NCAA runs out of the picture and you still have a better program. Valpo may be able to sweep some teams (this year), but Butler has swept the entire league and has dominated the league in years past. Valpo has much to be proud of with being the top team in the HL, but do it for a few more years, then compare the two.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Gametime on March 16, 2012, 04:02:49 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2012, 03:40:35 PMThanks for the long winded response.  I was talking about the current situation.  We've only been in the Horizon for five years and took a while to get up to speed.  On a broad basis--across many sports, Valpo has gotten to a point where we are better than Butler.  As for taking players away, we could say the same thing.  Haanpaa, Bouchie, Wood?  Get the picture?

Didn't Haanpaa, and Wood graduate? I'm referring to Butler players that left for the NBA after their sophomore and junior year, not a different school or graduated... there is a bit of a difference.

Take Butler's NCAA runs out of the picture and you still have a better program. Valpo may be able to sweep some teams (this year), but Butler has swept the entire league and has dominated the league in years past. Valpo has much to be proud of with being the top team in the HL, but do it for a few more years, then compare the two.

wood graduated. haanpaa did not, much to the dismay of my generation of students - man was he fun to watch when he was on. would've loved to see him spend another couple years in a crusader uniform.

vu72

Hannpaa left after his sophomore year as I recall, Bouchie after his freshman year and Brandon Wood still had a full year of eligibility.  Butler did swwep the conference ONCE, two years ago and then finished second last year and fifth this year.  Their play in the NCAAs in beyond comparison.  I suspect we will win the conference again next year and then make a spash in the tourney.  Time will tell...

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2012, 06:32:30 PM
I suspect we will win the conference again next year and then make a spash in the tourney.

The only real question is whether to travel for the first weekend of the NCAA tourney or just wait and head to the round of 16 where they may face some better competition.

EddieCabot

Lots of reports floating around that this may be a done deal.  I expect Butler to move quickly, if indeed they do have an offer.  With all the national attention Valpo is getting for their league championship and NIT appearance, Collier knows the window of opportunity for a move like this is closing quickly.

staxawax

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 17, 2012, 05:09:07 PM
Lots of reports floating around that this may be a done deal.  I expect Butler to move quickly, if indeed they do have an offer.  With all the national attention Valpo is getting for their league championship and NIT appearance, Collier knows the window of opportunity for a move like this is closing quickly.
All the attention?  From who?  I must have missed that. 

Gametime

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 17, 2012, 05:09:07 PMLots of reports floating around that this may be a done deal.  I expect Butler to move quickly, if indeed they do have an offer.  With all the national attention Valpo is getting for their league championship and NIT appearance, Collier knows the window of opportunity for a move like this is closing quickly.

I don't know if winning the HL regular season title will give much national attention