• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Graduation Speaker Announced

Started by vu72, April 30, 2018, 04:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

The Rev. David Beckmann has been named as Commencement speaker.  A very interesting person to be sure.

https://www.valpo.edu/news/2018/04/30/may-commencement-speaker/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

That is sure to get Valpo great press throughout the midwest without a doubt. Sorry, that is a bit snarky.

No arguing that his message is very important, but the selection of a commencement speaker is (should be) part of an overall marketing strategy (at least at most universities) to get increased press coverage and wide-ranging exposure, by having high-profile guests that attract more applications.

Really, is this the hallmark of the leading Lutheran university in the US? 

VUGrad1314

I don't understand the issue with this selection. He has an extensive resume and the work he's done aligns well with Valpo's mission and values.

crusader05

a very small percentage of schools get big name graduation speakers and honestly, I can't imagine it does much to pull people in to a university.

valpo64

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on May 02, 2018, 12:11:58 PM
Wow! I mean Who?

No snark intended here so please don't read into my question.  Did any of y'all care who your graduation speaker was at time of your graduation?  I graduated early in December '05 and I am not even certain there was a speaker.  I assume all May graduates have commencement speakers?

My vote would be, spend money somewhere else VU.  Ask a faculty member do give a 15-minute walk down memory lane or however . . .

crusader05

I agree FG.

This feels like just criticizing to criticize. He seems to be a speaker in keeping with our mission and Lutheran Identity, and really, unless your graduation speaker is a big celebrity or president no one really is going to care. It's 800 degrees, they want to walk across the stage and half are probably hungover from Duffy's Brat Fry the night before anyway.

agibson

I didn't know his name, but Bread for the World is a quality organization. Worth supporting. Addressing world hunger as a political issue.

You could argue that having the head of LWR or LIRS might have a little more splash. Or presumably the head of, I don't know, the ICRC, or UNICEF, or the American Red Cross, or something.

But, I think this is a good get. I didn't know he (i.e. the head of Bread for the World) was a Lutheran, nor a pastor.

I can imagine he'll have a good message, and that this is a brand worth having connected to the university, and an organization worth supporting.

bbtds

One of my cousins got her job, which pays extremely well, through an internship with Bread For the World. The philanthropic arm of a major law firm in Washington DC hired her. Yes, she is a Valpo grad.