• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

U.S. News and World Report Rankings

Started by vu84v2, September 09, 2019, 08:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/slideshows/us-news-best-national-universities

Did I miss something, or did they change how Valparaiso is considered in these rankings? They have Valpo listed as #153 as a National University. It seems that Valparaiso is now ranked as a national university despite similar schools (Butler, Xavier) being regional. I did see that at least one other formerly 'regional' school (Creighton) was also in the national rankings - but Creighton has a much broader set of programs than Valparaiso.

Anyway, given that Valpo has minimal research (which is appropriate for their focus on teaching) and lacks the resources that most state schools would have, I would argue that this is actually a pretty good ranking...though it is more difficult to market versus #1 or #2 midwest university.

crusader05

That is strange as we usually have been regional so either they changed their categories or our addition of the PA program and Doctoral programs in Nursing have boosted us up.

valpo95

Yes, USN&WR updated their categorization list to follow the updates from the Carnegie Classification updates that happened in 2018. Supposedly about 13% of schools in their ranking changed classifications, and Valpo was one of those.

Some similar / peer affiliate schools had similar rankings in the new National University list. For example, Drake was #130, Dayton #132, St. Thomas (MN) #139.  Valpo was tied at #153 with several schools, including George Mason, Mercer, Alabama, Arkansas, Thomas Jefferson and Quinnipiac. The College of Engineering was tied at #13 for programs where a PhD is not offered.

Agreed that this is a good ranking overall, though it is hard to make apples to apples comparisons.

crusader05

That is a good ranking for the engineering school.  I have heard from people who aren't super in the "Know" about that stuff that they have heard that Valpo has a very good engineering school so that is a positive, especially in Indiana, the land of Purdue Engineering. Now they are way different than us but it makes us more appealing for a student who wants a smaller school/more focused attention for their undergrad.

crusadermoe

This is a new twist and seems to work in our favor.   We were bouncing around in the #3-5 slot with Creighton on top. 

Now we get to join Dayton and Creighton's category and separate from the regional MVCs Drakes, Butler, Bradley etc.

loschwitz

Also sharing #153 are LSU and The New School.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on September 09, 2019, 09:04:16 AM
That is a good ranking for the engineering school.  I have heard from people who aren't super in the "Know" about that stuff that they have heard that Valpo has a very good engineering school so that is a positive, especially in Indiana, the land of Purdue Engineering. Now they are way different than us but it makes us more appealing for a student who wants a smaller school/more focused attention for their undergrad.

As a graduate of the College of Engineering and someone who has stayed somewhat involved with the College since graduating, I would say that the College of Engineering was very good when I attended and has gotten better over time. Great faculty who know their stuff, can teach effectively, and care a great deal about the students.

78crusader

Quote from: crusadermoe on September 09, 2019, 01:48:49 PM
This is a new twist and seems to work in our favor.   We were bouncing around in the #3-5 slot with Creighton on top. 

Now we get to join Dayton and Creighton's category and separate from the regional MVCs Drakes, Butler, Bradley etc.

I'd rather be #4 in Midwest Regional Universities than #153 in National Universities.  Way harder for VU to positively spin a #153. What am I missing?

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on September 09, 2019, 08:14:33 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on September 09, 2019, 01:48:49 PM

I'd rather be #4 in Midwest Regional Universities than #153 in National Universities.  Way harder for VU to positively spin a #153. What am I missing?

Paul

I guess it is kinda like being in the top 2 or 3 in the Valley or the upper half ( there are 381 in the National University group)in the Big Ten.  It is stepping up a significant level. How is that for a spin?  :dance:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ml2

If I were trying to market this (I'm not) I would put my emphasis on the #29 NATIONAL best value ranking. The list has a lot of well known brands that I would assume Valpo would be happy to be associated with.
#25 Wake Forest
#26 Lehigh
#27 Georgetown
#28 Tufts
#29 Valpo
#30 Carnegie Mellon
#31 Univ of St. Joseph (CT)
#32 Virginia
#33 Brandeis
#34 Boston College

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/best-value

crusader05

Yes the 29th value is important and I believe it's a function of elevating the school. Especially at a time when our particular region is losing population anything that might elevate our national standing is a good thing.

loschwitz

And then there is the ranking for best undergraduate teaching.  Valpo finds itself in 76th place along with a number of other schools including:
Columbia
Northwestern
UW-Madison
UCLA
Brandeis
Texas A&M
Marquette
NYU
Ball State

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: loschwitz on September 10, 2019, 12:47:33 PM
And then there is the ranking for best undergraduate teaching.  Valpo finds itself in 76th place along with a number of other schools including:
Columbia
Northwestern
UW-Madison
UCLA
Brandeis
Texas A&M
Marquette
NYU
Ball State

Sadly I've always thought that future earnings severely limited enrollment in teaching at Valpo.  If we are asking $35k after incentives to enroll and school B is offering $18k then I should think school B wins out in most cases.

Engineering is probably a little different but Valpo risks severe drops in liberal arts enrollment at our price tag as well.

loschwitz

FieldGoodie05-

I get the feeling you are talking about "teaching" as a major, whereas the US News Rankings are assessing "teaching" as the overall caliber of the faculty and their ability in the classroom.

vu72

Another positive is that there are 73 colleges/universities in the state of Indiana.  Of those, 8 are considered "national" and of those Valpo is ranked 4th behind only Notre Dame, Indiana and Purdue.  Not bad company.

http://www.free-4u.com/Colleges/Indiana-Colleges.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on September 10, 2019, 05:08:42 PM
Another positive is that there are 73 colleges/universities in the state of Indiana.  Of those, 8 are considered "national" and of those Valpo is ranked 4th behind only Notre Dame, Indiana and Purdue..  Not bad company.

http://www.free-4u.com/Colleges/Indiana-Colleges.html

That is MAJOR, 72. Thanks for that perspective. That is exactly what we have got to market.  We are the smallest, yet among the top four of the highest ranked national universities in the state of Indiana. Butler can't say that, nor can E'ville, or ISUb.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: loschwitz on September 10, 2019, 04:38:33 PM
FieldGoodie05-

I get the feeling you are talking about "teaching" as a major, whereas the US News Rankings are assessing "teaching" as the overall caliber of the faculty and their ability in the classroom.

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

78crusader

VU72 and others have raised good points as to why a #153 National Ranking is pretty good.  But a #153 ranking requires an explanation.  A #4 ranking in the Midwest Regional Category, which is generally where we ended up over the last 8-10 years, requires no explanation - everyone knows #4 in anything is pretty darn good.  As we lawyers say about trying a case to a jury, anytime you have to explain, you are losing ground.

Paul

valpotx

I also view this as a positive, as it is also makes Valpo sound as a larger player with prospective students around the US.  Being included in a National vs. Regional classification can definitely help.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Valparaiso: Indiana's personal, intimate and  caring National University.