• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Only the beginning...

Started by wh, September 14, 2012, 10:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

The dark and deeply disturbing side of Islam is on full display right now in the actions of tens of thousands of Muslims throughout the Middle East.   Apparently, it's bleeding over to VU, as well:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/valparaiso-university-issues-advisory-about-threat/article_4b4f1249-6c80-5031-9be9-02d3a75b7a10.html

I predict that given enough time the current administration of this Christian school will rue the day it naively initiated this "oil and water" experiment.

78crusader

78crusader

Yep, VU made headlines on Drudge...for all the wrong reasons.

Paul

crusadermoe

Fabulous.

Naive is the only word that comes to mind.

covufan

Quote from: wh on September 14, 2012, 10:02:14 PMinitiated this "oil and water" experiment.
Not sure what you mean here.  Can you elaborate?

valpotx

Geez, you have to be kidding me.  I think it is an absolute joke how bad these extremists make their overall religion look in the public eye.  You see Jesus/God portayed all over the place, and put in situations that would seem 'unholy,' but you don't see Western countries going to embassies to murder and pillage.  Everyone in the world needs to just chill out and live a good life regardless of other's opinions/beliefs. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Don't wish TX - it's not gonna be.  Ain't gonna happen with any extremist group either here (right or left) or over there -- actually, more over there, cuz they bomb stuff and burn stuff and kill people because they don't consider the humanity as a viable component of life on earth (human beings are not part of the overall equation or are just a rationalized means to a depraved end).  And it's all over some words on some piece of parchment written a couple of thousand years ago by another human being and no one now can ask that person "what did you really mean?".  So sad.

StlVUFan

Still waiting for an explanation of what Valpo U is doing here that is wrong.  ???

historyman

I believe the assumed answer to what Valpo is doing wrong, and I don't necessarily agree with it, is admitting more Muslim students to a Christian university. Or I do I have that wrong?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on September 26, 2012, 01:06:01 PM
Still waiting for an explanation of what Valpo U is doing here that is wrong.  ???
Yeah, same here.
Quote from: historyman on September 26, 2012, 04:18:57 PM
I believe the assumed answer to what Valpo is doing wrong, and I don't necessarily agree with it, is admitting more Muslim students to a Christian university. Or I do I have that wrong?
I thought about that, but Valpo had Muslim students and Arab professors 30 years ago.  Unless it is a 50 year experiment.

wh

Let me jog some memories.  Following is a description of the naive "water and oil" experiment to which I referred:

VU plan looks to grow enrollment, stress service

April 13, 2011 8:15 pm  •  By John Scheibel john.scheibel@nwi.com, (219) 548-4358

VALPARAISO | Officials at Valparaiso University announced plans Wednesday to increase enrollment, advance cross-cultural experiences and establish an organization to stress leadership and service.

VU's board of directors approved a strategic plan in October that calls for creating a competitive advantage over other institutions, ensuring financial sustainability and deepening the commitment to the university by faculty, staff, students and the community.

VU President Mark A. Heckler said the university's enrollment will increase to 6,000 students from 4,100, many of those coming from other nations.

Heckler said officials plan to enroll about 4,500 undergrad and 1,500 graduate students and law students. About 1,000 of the 6,000 total will be foreign students.

The push for international students is a part of giving all students a greater exposure to other cultures and beliefs. That theme will be played out in the university's classrooms by exposing students to other cultures in the region, nationally and across the world.

While VU has been known for its programs in England, Germany, Mexico and China, Heckler said officials are focused on building similar collaborations in India, the Middle East and Africa.

While the university looks to expand in the future, it is not losing touch with its Lutheran roots.

Heckler said, instead, the strategic plan has VU officials committed to the Lutheran traditions of scholarship, faith and service -- but offering those things to a more culturally diverse student body, with the intention of fostering international understanding among students.

VU students also will benefit from increased service opportunities, Heckler said.

"The scale of what we do will grow exponentially," he said.

While many good service projects exist, the plan is to better organize and harness those efforts to create more impact in Northwest Indiana, other parts of the country and around the world.

"It's an important facet of our character as a Lutheran university," Heckler said.

But it's more than a feel-good effort. Heckler said the service is intended to make students take part in deeper reflections about their futures and what they are called to do with their lives.

Officials said Heckler will make a series of presentations about the strategic plan in Valparaiso, and in Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

valpo04

Quote from: wh on September 26, 2012, 08:49:20 PM
Let me jog some memories.  Following is a description of the naive "water and oil" experiment to which I referred:

April 13, 2011 8:15 pm  •  By John Scheibel john.scheibel@nwi.com, (219) 548-4358

VALPARAISO | Officials at Valparaiso University announced plans Wednesday to increase enrollment, advance cross-cultural experiences and establish an organization to stress leadership and service.

VU's board of directors approved a strategic plan in October that calls for creating a competitive advantage over other institutions, ensuring financial sustainability and deepening the commitment to the university by faculty, staff, students and the community.

VU President Mark A. Heckler said the university's enrollment will increase to 6,000 students from 4,100, many of those coming from other nations.

Heckler said officials plan to enroll about 4,500 undergrad and 1,500 graduate students and law students. About 1,000 of the 6,000 total will be foreign students.

The push for international students is a part of giving all students a greater exposure to other cultures and beliefs. That theme will be played out in the university's classrooms by exposing students to other cultures in the region, nationally and across the world.

While VU has been known for its programs in England, Germany, Mexico and China, Heckler said officials are focused on building similar collaborations in India, the Middle East and Africa.

While the university looks to expand in the future, it is not losing touch with its Lutheran roots.

Heckler said, instead, the strategic plan has VU officials committed to the Lutheran traditions of scholarship, faith and service -- but offering those things to a more culturally diverse student body, with the intention of fostering international understanding among students.

VU students also will benefit from increased service opportunities, Heckler said.

While many good service projects exist, the plan is to better organize and harness those efforts to create more impact in Northwest Indiana, other parts of the country and around the world.

"It's an important facet of our character as a Lutheran university," Heckler said.

But it's more than a feel-good effort. Heckler said the service is intended to make students take part in deeper reflections about their futures and what they are called to do with their lives.

Officials said Heckler will make a series of presentations about the strategic plan in Valparaiso, and in Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

Seems that this post proves the "experiment" to better understand other cultures and beliefs is overdue.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on September 26, 2012, 08:49:20 PM

Still waiting.