• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 9: Belmont 12/3

Started by VULB#62, November 29, 2015, 08:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I hate espn3.  Really miss the HL network. 
CRUSADERS!!!

atkins

Well, we are fortunate we are up against Belmont....because we would be down big against many other teams tonight.  Not at all impressed by these teams tonight.  Neither is playing like a top mid-major. 

wh

With no Tevonn and with Darien's shot not having arrived yet this year, teams will continue to pack it in a tight zone and dare us to shoot them out of it. We are missing a lot of moving parts right now.

oklahomamick

Bad 4th foul call on Hammick.  Belmont in Bonus with 12 minutes to go.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

haha, I don't think that was a charge, but we will take it.  huge.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Belmont was a good team.  The two guards were impressive.  They would be our rival if they joined the HL.
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

A win by any other name is a win. Held the BU O to under 30 of their average (I [heart] Defense ). But this wasn't easy.

govalpogo

Never going to take a win for granted after last week!  This team is in a big offensive funk especially without T. Walker so a big defensive "rock tossing" game win.  Valpo's style won out over Belmont's...keeping them under 60 is impressive. Love David Skara, LOVE DAVID SKARA!  Really hoping for a healthy Valpo soon.  Another quality W.

nkvu

Enough bricks laid tonight to build the Great Wall. Still, take the win and hope the team somehow can remember how to hit a three and finish at the rim. And hope T. Walker makes it back real soon.

VUfan

A hard played win, no Breaks, in the end we made our own breaks that's good   ;)

a3uge

That charge was questionable, but the foul called on the rebound after Belmont's last 1 and 1 was atrocious. Valpo shooting 0 FT in the first half was bizarre. Good adjustments getting to the line in the 2nd half.

Valpo only shot 35.4% tonight and 24.0% from 3, but still won, so I'll take it. They had a couple defensive lapses, but for the most part frustrated Belmont. They didn't give up too many open 3pt looks and forced Belmont to go inside. Belmond probably would have liked to take more than 25 3's in the game.

vu72

Good win against a tough opponent who will most likely win the OVC title.  We shot terribly and were a man down but still pulled it off.  At the end of the season this will be an important win.  On to ISU with, I hope, Tevonn in tow...will certainly help.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

To my untrained eye, we are still not running special plays to free up Alec for clean looks.

Todd made a big point of the switch to a zone that threw BU off. I think he was right.

agibson

Quote from: wh on December 03, 2015, 06:53:38 PM
Looks like another mediocre turnout - my guess is 3000-3500 by game time.

Yeah, that's about right.  In terms of energy, atmosphere, it wasn't a bad looking crowd.  Alas, I only made two minutes in person myself.

But, the upper deck was significantly occupied.  Not quite IPFW (Friday night), but a decent crowd for a school night.  (School night indeed, saw more than a few kids, like ours, leaving at half time.)

But, it's clear, NW Indiana let alone Chicago has not yet noticed the Crusaders.  That top 25 ranking would have helped.  I suppose the end of the NFL season might too.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 03, 2015, 07:26:20 PM
I hate espn3.  Really miss the HL network. 

Which bit was getting you down?

I was pretty annoyed that it kept skipping frames when the action got moving.  Really seemed like a compression issue - it couldn't handle rapid changes in-frame.  Not sure if it was my computer, my feed, or the broadcast.

And, I didn't love that it was 15-30 seconds behind the radio, maybe a minute behind twitter.

It's always _so slow_ to start, too.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 03, 2015, 08:47:22 PM
haha, I don't think that was a charge, but we will take it.  huge.

Carter?  I don't know what he was doing on the offense possession before it.

And, I don't know if he was 100% set.  The replay might show him moving.  But, momentum wise, narrative arc wise, he was _definitely_ set.  Guy barreled into him.  Technical details or not, it certainly _felt_ like a charge.

Gotta use that narrative energy and get the refs on our side.  Was pleased to hear one faculty daughter, first grade classmate of my girl, supporting that sentiment at the game!

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 03, 2015, 08:51:53 PM
Belmont was a good team.  The two guards were impressive.  They would be our rival if they joined the HL.

I really wonder if we could get them for a home-and-away every season, apart from the HL deal.  Luke Gore sounded very knowing, very sympathetic, that they have just as much trouble scheduling as we do.  Sounds like they had already been talking with the coaching staff, Luke mentioned one assistant by name, about scheduling troubles.  Not sure if they've specifically talked about a regular deal.  But, it sounds pretty sweet to me.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on December 03, 2015, 09:07:46 PMThat charge was questionable, but the foul called on the rebound after Belmont's last 1 and 1 was atrocious. Valpo shooting 0 FT in the first half was bizarre. Good adjustments getting to the line in the 2nd half.

The foul on Hammink boxing out the shooter?  Was unusual, for sure.  Or wait, was it E Vic?

I didn't see the play, but my son claimed that Vashil "shot a free throw without shooting a free throw" in the first half.  Some kind of a dish from Carter to Vashil at about the free throw line, and Vashil made it?  Only two points of the game?  Someone mentioned a jump shot, but I'm not sure that's in the repertoire!  Of course, I wouldn't have said a shot from the FT line was, either.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on December 03, 2015, 09:07:46 PMbut for the most part frustrated Belmont. They didn't give up too many open 3pt looks and forced Belmont to go inside. Belmond probably would have liked to take more than 25 3's in the game.

And some of those were _horrible_ threes that settled for.  Deep, ugly stuff.

We took a few of those ourselves, but Belmont took some that I didn't mind giving up, whatsoever.  (And hit one or two of them.)

agibson

A few questionable decisions maybe, or ideas that didn't quite work.  But, I'm enjoying getting to see more of E Vic.  I love his willingness to step in whenever necessary, in all kinds of situations.

I'll admit to a certain degree of freakish glee with the kind of line-ups he can contribute to as well, like E Vic at the point, Hammink at SG, etc. Sort of like cheering when the SS shifts east of second base.

Don't get me wrong, I want Tevonn back and healthy.  But we have a really deep team.  (Remember Lexus?)

oklahomamick

Quote from: agibson on December 03, 2015, 09:25:45 PM.  Sou

freezed several times.  No audio for most of the game. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 03, 2015, 09:38:34 PM
Quote from: agibson on December 03, 2015, 09:25:45 PM.  Sou

freezed several times.  No audio for most of the game. 

Aw man, that's horrible.  It wasn't nearly that bad for me.

Was the WVUR stream working, at least?  What I tried of it in the first half seemed OK.  Maybe it's usually solid for home games, and only has trouble when we're on the road?

wh

We totally shut down Belmont's high scoring offense tonight. They scored 17 points below their LOWEST scoring game of the year. We completely shut down their fast break opportunities, took away almost all of their back door opportunities) a regular staple of Belmont's game for years), forced then to play deep into the shot clock, and contested almost every 3.  We give up the 7th fewest PPG in the nation (57), which is exactly what we gave up tonight. I don't know how it looks on the internet, but it's amazing to see in person.  When we get Tevonn back, David back at full speed, and Darien finds his shot ( which he will) we will be dominant. Belmont missed a golden opportunity to steal a win tonight. They're going to be facing a much better Crusader team in Nashville.