• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 05, 2016, 11:01:50 AM
So it's not official yet.....  :)

It's official. Word is that Bryce just signed the contract for a six-year deal.  :(

VULB#62

VU2014

Paul Oren just tweeted he has some news coming.... https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/717422342859833344

VULB#62

Talksalot scooped him on the Vashil string  ;D

VULB#62

Now we wait for the official presser.... and wait.... and wait.

valpo64

I would think that ML has a game plan already in place, maybe even a new coach, since I believe it is normal protocal, that when wanting to speak to a coach currently under contract, the contacting school first asks the current AD for permission to speak to the candidate.

valpopal

Vanderbilt posters reporting the Bryce Drew contract is for 6 years at $16.3 million. If accurate, not a bad salary hike for Bryce!

oklahomamick

funny article http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2016/4/5/11369896/coaching-carousel-who-replaces-bryce-drew-at-valparaiso

We lost a mid-major legend this week as Bryce Drew finally left his alma mater for a gig at SEC member Vanderbilt. The Crusaders are now on the hunt for their first head coach since 2011 and for their first head coach without the last name Drew since 1988.

Her is a short list of names to keep an eye on for the Crusaders:

Billy Donlon: Wright State seemed to be the only member of the Horizon League who had Valpo's number this past year but the Raiders dispatched their head coach despite a 22 win season.  Donlon could step in tomorrow and begin his revenge tour in an area and conference he knows well.

Luke Gore: Gore might be the frontrunner right now as Bryce Drew's right-hand man.  Gore has been on the Crusaders staff for the last 14 years.

Greg Tonagel: Tonagel is the had coach at Indiana Wesleyan where he has won two NAIA national titles. He is a Valpo alum and spent time as the team's Director of Basketball Operations way back in the early 2000s.  If Valpo is looking for an outside the box home run then Tonagel may be the guy.

Brian Gregory: If the Crusaders are looking to make a bit of a splash then Brian Gregory might be a guy to look out for.  The former Georgia Tech and Dayton bench boss obviously knows the area well and could be a beast if he lands a gig in the Horizon League.

Rex Walters: Walters recently lost his job at San Francisco and has been a nearly .500 level head coach at the Division I level.  He started his college coaching career at Valpo before heading out to eventually be the head coach at Florida Atlantic.
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

I am enjoying this Powell vs Tonagel debate.  Wanted to think it over a few days before I posted.  So I will make an argument for both.

Tonagel has taken NAIA level recruits and has been fairly dominate against other programs recruiting the same NAIA level recruits.  So he has out recruited and out coached most everyone else at that level.  To think that he somehow won't be able to recruit D1 talent or coach them seems rather absurd.  He was a 6 year D1 player, it is not like he has never been around D1 basketball.  Hiring him seems like a can't miss.  He basically is Bryce Drew with a different name.  All he does is win, which is what we are trying to do here...

Powell is arguably the best recruiter we have ever had.  He is also extremely passionate and players seem to adore him. He has been in the Final Four as a player, which is a huge recruiting plus, especially since it was at the flagship program of the state we recruit most heavily.  Even if he ends up being a poor X's and O's guy, being a great recruiter can make up for a lot of that.  I am thinking he is probably a good X's and O's guy in addition to his recruiting ability.  So once again, hiring him seems like a can't miss. 

So, I don't think we need to argue about this.  They both can win here!  :) 

VULB#62

I would add that in Tonagel there would be a personality change in the office of the HBBC.  From reading about him, I sense that Greg is more intense and demanding than Bryce. And that seems to be one of the reasons that he wins -- he squeezes the last ounce of effort out of his kids.  While the Valpo players loved Bryce, we on the board at times were frustrated by the lack of player intensity in some games and the "he or they didn't show up" nature that led to unexpected losses. It could be that that is not acceptable to Tonagel and his teams come out and punch you in the mouth every game.  Much like Donlon's crew (but with a Christian approach  ;) )

oklahomamick

A couple people mentioned there was no way that Tonagel would come back as an assistant.  I understand hes a head coach but he could earn more money as a assistant at Valpo?  He would get to come back and enjoy some of the better qualities of DI basketball compared to NAIA div ii.

I know its a slim chance but would be a dynamite package to have both Powell and Tonagel on staff.
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 05, 2016, 09:50:12 AM
Tonagel needs a step between NAIA and Valpo. I think that he will be a great D1 coach in 5 years or so, but he needs to go to a low D1 prior to a move to a place like Valpo. Valpo is one of the top 25 or 30 programs outside of the six power conferences.

Well, there are some head coaching jobs open at the other HL member schools.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

There is a job posting at Vandy... "Assistant Men's Basketball Coach"

Here's the job description:

Vanderbilt University
Assistant Coach - Men's Basketball - VU in Nashville, Tennessee
Responsible for providing coaching and administrative assistance to the Head Coach of a designated sport.

Duties and Responsibilities:

Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program, to include adhering to all Departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the University, the Southeastern Conference and the NCAA.

Assists with the scouting and recruitment of student-athletes, including on-campus visits of prospective student-athletes.

Assists in coaching student-athletes, which includes evaluating their performance in both practice and competition, and providing leadership and instruction in areas of deficiencies, as required.

Monitors the conditioning and training of student-athletes, in conjunction with the Strength and Athletic Training staff. Assist in the planning and administering of the off-season training program, as requested.

Counsels team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters, to include consulting with the Director of Academic Support in Athletics, the Director for Compliance and other University administrators to resolve problems.

Participates in the collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent teams and assists in designing game plans and strategies. Attend coaches' preparatory meetings and implements strategies resulting from these meetings

Advises and counsels with student-athletes regarding their obligations to comply with all rules and regulations related to financial aid and eligibility, as well as personal conduct and appearance.

Assist in monitoring the academic progress and eligibility status of student-athletes, to include both class and study hall attendance.

Assist in maintaining statistics, as requested

Interfaces with game officials, as requested

Participates in public relations activities, as approved, to include granting interviews with newspaper, radio and television media, attending press conferences and making public appearances.

Assist with planning and coordinating approved fund raising activities, as assigned.

Assists with budget preparations, as requested. Operates within approved budget allocations.

Assists with the development of schedules for practice and competition, as assigned.

Assists in coordinating team travel arrangements, as requested. Travels with the team and monitors the conduct of student-athletes.

Interface with the Equipment Manager to ensure that necessary athletic equipment is available for scheduled practices and competitive events.

Monitor the condition of equipment. Request repairs or replacement, as necessary.

Participate in clinics, exhibitions and camps, as approved.

Represents the Department at professional, civic, charitable, and alumni events, as requested.

Coordinates team transportation needs that require University and/or Departmental vehicles.

Performs other duties and assists with special projects as assigned by the Head Coach.

Understands and signs Academic Admission Policy Form.

Comply with NCAA and SEC rules and regulations.

Job requires Bachelor's and 2 years of experience or the equivalent.

Valpo89

All of you who are not totally sold on Tonagel are nuts. He would be able to step in right away and build on what Bryce and Homer have done, and maybe even surpass what has been accomplished already. Someone talked earlier about him being tough on his players - isn't that what has been missing (at least in view of the public) under Homer and Bryce? The early key for Greg would be retaining as much of the current roster as possible. I think after getting to know him, the players would love him and have a chip on their shoulders going into next year - with or without Alec.

VULB#62

We need a private investigator to shadow Mark wherever he goes in the next two weeks and report back to us  ;)

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 06, 2016, 09:26:44 AM
All of you who are not totally sold on Tonagel are nuts. He would be able to step in right away and build on what Bryce and Homer have done, and maybe even surpass what has been accomplished already. Someone talked earlier about him being tough on his players - isn't that what has been missing (at least in view of the public) under Homer and Bryce? The early key for Greg would be retaining as much of the current roster as possible. I think after getting to know him, the players would love him and have a chip on their shoulders going into next year - with or without Alec.

Has nothing to do with Tonagel, but IWU just announced on April 1 that they are starting varsity football with the first season to commence the Fall of 2018.  They will select an on-campus site and build new locker, training and performance facilities along with beginning construction on a turf playing field  and 2500-4000 seat stadium. Quite an investment this the future -- similar to the immediate renovation of the ARC that will start this summer. NOT.

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/article/4783.php

VU2014

If Tonagel wasn't a Valpo alum and had no previous connection to the program I think people would be a lot less optimistic or open to the idea of Tonagel being the next head coach and taking over. From everything I've heard Tonagel is a very good X's/O's coach, great character, leader and has a connection to the Valpo community because he played here, but and its a huge BUT. Will he be able to recruit? I've heard people say well he's recruited at Indiana Wesleyan so he could do it here. D1 and D2 are completely different ball games. Recruiting D1 athletes there is more competition and Bryce/Powell have really made a in roads in the inner city of Chicago making Valpo's name known to high school coaches and kids. Can Tonagel sit down and connect with kids and sell them on Valpo? Does Tonagel have assistants who can recruit? Recruiting is my only issue with Tonagel. He's just unproven, but that doesn't eliminate him from job. He'll just have to convince ML he has the recruiting chops and hopefully ML can give him the resources he needs to succeed.

crusader05

I'm assuming news people are on it, but I'd be watching the Porter County Airport and see who's arriving from certain areas to get an idea how far we are broadening the search.

VULB#62

That link was posted by Oklahomamick yesterday about 11 posts below/above.

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 05, 2016, 06:55:14 PM
funny article http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2016/4/5/11369896/coaching-carousel-who-replaces-bryce-drew-at-valparaiso

We lost a mid-major legend this week as Bryce Drew finally left his alma mater for a gig at SEC member Vanderbilt. The Crusaders are now on the hunt for their first head coach since 2011 and for their first head coach without the last name Drew since 1988.

Her is a short list of names to keep an eye on for the Crusaders:

Billy Donlon: Wright State seemed to be the only member of the Horizon League who had Valpo's number this past year but the Raiders dispatched their head coach despite a 22 win season.  Donlon could step in tomorrow and begin his revenge tour in an area and conference he knows well.

Luke Gore: Gore might be the frontrunner right now as Bryce Drew's right-hand man.  Gore has been on the Crusaders staff for the last 14 years.

Greg Tonagel: Tonagel is the had coach at Indiana Wesleyan where he has won two NAIA national titles. He is a Valpo alum and spent time as the team's Director of Basketball Operations way back in the early 2000s.  If Valpo is looking for an outside the box home run then Tonagel may be the guy.

Brian Gregory: If the Crusaders are looking to make a bit of a splash then Brian Gregory might be a guy to look out for.  The former Georgia Tech and Dayton bench boss obviously knows the area well and could be a beast if he lands a gig in the Horizon League.

Rex Walters: Walters recently lost his job at San Francisco and has been a nearly .500 level head coach at the Division I level.  He started his college coaching career at Valpo before heading out to eventually be the head coach at Florida Atlantic.

usc4valpo

Jon Scheyer would be an outstanding choice IMO.

crusader05

Paul's reporting on twitter that Powell is on the flight to Vandy with Drew and wasn't at Team meeting yesterday.