• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 06, 2016, 11:35:30 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 05, 2016, 06:55:14 PM
funny article http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2016/4/5/11369896/coaching-carousel-who-replaces-bryce-drew-at-valparaiso

We lost a mid-major legend this week as Bryce Drew finally left his alma mater for a gig at SEC member Vanderbilt. The Crusaders are now on the hunt for their first head coach since 2011 and for their first head coach without the last name Drew since 1988.

Her is a short list of names to keep an eye on for the Crusaders:

Billy Donlon: Wright State seemed to be the only member of the Horizon League who had Valpo's number this past year but the Raiders dispatched their head coach despite a 22 win season.  Donlon could step in tomorrow and begin his revenge tour in an area and conference he knows well.

Luke Gore: Gore might be the frontrunner right now as Bryce Drew's right-hand man.  Gore has been on the Crusaders staff for the last 14 years.

Greg Tonagel: Tonagel is the had coach at Indiana Wesleyan where he has won two NAIA national titles. He is a Valpo alum and spent time as the team's Director of Basketball Operations way back in the early 2000s.  If Valpo is looking for an outside the box home run then Tonagel may be the guy.

Brian Gregory: If the Crusaders are looking to make a bit of a splash then Brian Gregory might be a guy to look out for.  The former Georgia Tech and Dayton bench boss obviously knows the area well and could be a beast if he lands a gig in the Horizon League.

Rex Walters: Walters recently lost his job at San Francisco and has been a nearly .500 level head coach at the Division I level.  He started his college coaching career at Valpo before heading out to eventually be the head coach at Florida Atlantic.

Powell wasn't on this list.  Perhaps now we know why.

I can only surmise that Paul Oren was out of his head from a high fever when he put Donlon on our short list. It's amazing how little some people think of our standing as a program that they think that we should seriously consider a lower-rated HL program's just-fired coach.  Think of the parallel.  5 years ago Billy Donlon inherited a program left in great shape by an excellent x&o's coach and recruiter, who was so impressive he landed a job in a Power-5 conference. Unfortunately, Donlon proved to be a terrible recruiter and numerous players quit on him, as well. Yes, he did a great job with who he had, but that only goes so far.  If you can't recruit (and Donlon can't), you're never going to be an elite conference team.  So, like WSU 5 years ago here we are trying to replace an excellent x&o's coach and recruiter who was so impressive he landed a job in a Power-5 conference...  Need I say more about how utterly missuited Donlon would be for head men's basketball coach at Valparaiso University?

vusupporter

That list has nothing to do with Paul Oren. Read closer.

wh

Quote from: vusupporter on April 06, 2016, 01:11:47 PM

If it's not his list whose is it? He doesn't so much as suggest that it's the university's short list. 

NativeCheesehead

Speaking of PO, I think he does a fantastic job covering this team and Vu as a whole. Problem is he's just about the only one who does without official ties (ie a student reporter or PR person). At a lot of other schools, even mid majors, there's a larger number of people who cover the team and more insiders looking to have a voice through those people. And while I don't always agree with that in principle, it keeps the admin honest throughout their thought process and keeps the fans in the loop.

PS If i'm missing someone I apologize, just going off what I see on local papers sites and social media.

PPS Paul, don't know if you read this board, assume you do. Don't know you, love your reporting, and based on your twitter feed....do you ever sleep?

a3uge

Quote from: wh on April 06, 2016, 01:17:55 PM

If it's not his list whose is it? He doesn't so much as suggest that it's the university's short list.
It was the author's short list - complete trash writing.

VULB#62

Vinny

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2016, 01:09:49 PMSo I take it you don't have a spare $16 million hanging around for a coach or $40 million for a new facility?

I did til some Bernie Madoff guy made it disappear.  ;)
What I'm able to give per year may cover a couple team meals but that's it. Mrs. Vinny and I helped put two kids through college.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2016, 01:28:31 PMhttp://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2016/4/5/11369896/coaching-carousel-who-replaces-bryce-drew-at-valparaiso

Paul had a list too. I think he also included five names, but said on the nice hour-long WVLP radio program last night that Jon Diebler as the 5th was more about round numbers than an idea that he'd be a legit HC candidate at this point. Was it as simple as Roger, Luke, Lottich, Tonagel, and Diebler?

justducky

Bryce leaving should be no surprise. So obviously we should now be implementing our succession plan.

Wait! We don't have one!  :o

agibson

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2016, 01:21:29 PM
Speaking of PO, I think he does a fantastic job covering this team and Vu as a whole. Problem is he's just about the only one who does without official ties (ie a student reporter or PR person). At a lot of other schools, even mid majors, there's a larger number of people who cover the team and more insiders looking to have a voice through those people. And while I don't always agree with that in principle, it keeps the admin honest throughout their thought process and keeps the fans in the loop.

PS If i'm missing someone I apologize, just going off what I see on local papers sites and social media.

PPS Paul, don't know if you read this board, assume you do. Don't know you, love your reporting, and based on your twitter feed....do you ever sleep?

Paul does post here now and then.

As for ties, there are the complications that any beat writer, especially at a small school must have. But, also,
http://www.valpo.edu/communication/about/faculty-and-staff/paul-oren/

I definitely admire his work too. He seems to do it without a lot of resources from the paper, to boot (small town paper, maybe no surprise). Sounds like he was crashing at a relatives in NYC, you wonder if the Times even paid for his plane ticket, etc. We're lucky to have him.

Hopefully he doesn't pull a Bryce (or a Mark Lazerus) any time _too_ soon!

agibson

Quote from: justducky on April 06, 2016, 01:54:06 PM
Bryce leaving should be no surprise. So obviously we should now be implementing our succession plan.

Patience. I've got patience until at least Friday. Maybe Monday.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on April 06, 2016, 01:54:06 PM

Because every d1 program names a new coach the same day the former coach leaves... Have you watched an off-season before?

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 06, 2016, 11:09:34 AM
I would think being the head coach of Valpo would be a better gig than an assistant at Vandy.  I wonder the salary difference.
I would think if Vandy has $2.7M for a HC, the top assistant is in the $5-600k range.

wh

The author was Parks Smith, not Paul Oren.

Fixed it for you.

Vale O. Paradise

I thought I was in the anger phase of grief. I suppose it's a mix of denial and bargaining, because I'm looking for reasons Bryce might have wanted to leave and/or reasons to give me hope.

Athletics strategic plan from 2013: http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/miscellaneous/2012-13/Valparaiso%20Athletics%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf

Updated plan from 2015-2016: http://files.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/CB8F2A67-4E55-4190-BD0F-543E226D34F7/ValparaisoAthleticsStrategicPlan-2015-16.pdf

New to this year's plan...
Action Step 2.C.i: Develop program and preliminary design for a new Recreation Center
and Athletic Field on the former Porter Hospital property.
Action Step 2.C.ii: Develop and execute a funding model to construct the new
Recreation Center and Athletic Field.

Action Step 2.C.iii: Identify and prioritize additional investments in athletics facilities
that will assist in meeting Objective 3.4 of the current University Strategic Plan
Action step 2.C.iv: Develop and execute a funding model to construct those facilities.

On the plus side: That sounds like a brand new facility--not just a major upgrade.
On the negative side: Sounds like it's still in the early early planning stages.

I wish the updated plan had tracked progress on the original plan. It's possible to suss things out, but so much better if updates were included.

NativeCheesehead

Ah, wasn't aware he worked for Vu. Still does great work. So we really have no one without formal ties reporting on the team.

vu72

Quote from: Vinny on April 06, 2016, 01:07:34 PM
Again, what the Drews accomplished/were accomplishing didn't matter enough to the university admins. Guessing they'll figure it out once the $$$ stops flowing in. Frustrating and embarrassing.  >:( >:(

I'm seriously concerned for the future of both VU basketball and athletics. The commitment simply isn't there. I'm not so naive to think that we could've kept Bryce forever, but the university could've done more to keep him here longer and at least give him the chance to build VU into a Butler.

This hand wringing is getting pretty old.  Just what do you think the University could have done to keep Bryce here longer?  I have said it before, and it came from a very reliable source,that part of Bryce's contract made him the highest paid coach in the Horizon. He was at a reported $377,000 three years ago.  Let's say for this purpose that he was making $500,000.  Do you think another $100,000 would have kept him here?  Really?  If we had announced that the new Rec Center would break ground this fall and after completion the ARC would be renovated with new concessions stands, added bathrooms and seat reconfiguration to take on a more bowl like setting, all to be done in a five year period.  Would Vanderbilt's offer of $2.5 and the chance to coach at a private school in the SEC be ignored?  Nonsense.

Many seem to think they have knowledge of just how committed the administration is to athletic success at Valpo.  Others seem to know how much is being spent to accomplish various goals.  Please tells us!!  The fact is that there is a pretty strong "woe is me" attitude among some posters with zero knowledge of the facts.

WE WILL NOT BECOME YOUNGSTOWN STATE!!!  Back away from the ledge!!  Give Mark a chance to hire a successor and then listen to what that coach has to say about the program and its needs.  The world will not come to an end without a Drew in charge.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on April 06, 2016, 02:09:59 PM
I thought I was in the anger phase of grief. I suppose it's a mix of denial and bargaining, because I'm looking for reasons Bryce might have wanted to leave and/or reasons to give me hope.

Athletics strategic plan from 2013: http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/miscellaneous/2012-13/Valparaiso%20Athletics%20Strategic%20Plan.pdf

Updated plan from 2015-2016: http://files.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/CB8F2A67-4E55-4190-BD0F-543E226D34F7/ValparaisoAthleticsStrategicPlan-2015-16.pdf

New to this year's plan...
Action Step 2.C.i: Develop program and preliminary design for a new Recreation Center
and Athletic Field on the former Porter Hospital property.
Action Step 2.C.ii: Develop and execute a funding model to construct the new
Recreation Center and Athletic Field.

Action Step 2.C.iii: Identify and prioritize additional investments in athletics facilities
that will assist in meeting Objective 3.4 of the current University Strategic Plan
Action step 2.C.iv: Develop and execute a funding model to construct those facilities.

On the plus side: That sounds like a brand new facility--not just a major upgrade.
On the negative side: Sounds like it's still in the early early planning stages.

I wish the updated plan had tracked progress on the original plan. It's possible to suss things out, but so much better if updates were included.

Actually it is the 2016-2021 Athletics Strategic Plan.. That means the action steps have 5 years to get done.  And the action steps do not include actually building a facility.  >>> From the Plan:

A STRATEGIC PLAN VALPARAISO ATHLETICS 2016‐2021
The Strategic Plan identifies six categories of Goals followed by a series of recommended Strategies and specific Action Steps that should be undertaken to achieve those goals. Strategies and Action Steps to be implemented within the next twenty‐four months of the Plan are listed herein along with more long term Strategies and Action Steps (highlighted in italics) that are recommended for implementation in years three through five of the Plan.
The initial Athletics Strategic Plan was created through a comprehensive process involving all areas of the Athletics Department. Feedback and comment was solicited from all areas of University community. The original plan was endorsed by the University Board of Directors in October 2012.
The Athletics Strategic Plan 2016‐2021 is the updated and revised version of the original plan created in 2012.
Revisions have been made Categories 1 and 2. Additional categories will be reviewed and during the coming year. Completed action steps were removed and new action steps added. The revision process was conducted by a broad group of Athletics Department staff directly involved in the implementation and management of the plan and reviewed by the head coaches.

crusader05

We are about to find out if the Drews were good for Valpo or if Valpo was good for the Drews. I'm going to be watching 1. how much Bryce takes with him and 2. how much support the admin throws behind our new coach.

We were very very lucky to have the Drews but at the same time, having our entire past almost 30 years be dedicated to one family is not a good strategy overall. I don't know what the other options are but Homer built, not just a team, but a platform that was very very helpful to his sons. Bryce is still a Valpo Alum and could always be a positive voice for our program out there even if he is a coach elsewhere. If this is the last we ever hear of the Drew family though I will be disappointed and feel very much like Valpo was used more than it was helped.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2016, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Vinny on April 06, 2016, 01:07:34 PM
Again, what the Drews accomplished/were accomplishing didn't matter enough to the university admins. Guessing they'll figure it out once the $$$ stops flowing in. Frustrating and embarrassing.  >:( >:(

I'm seriously concerned for the future of both VU basketball and athletics. The commitment simply isn't there. I'm not so naive to think that we could've kept Bryce forever, but the university could've done more to keep him here longer and at least give him the chance to build VU into a Butler.
So I take it you don't have a spare $16 million hanging around for a coach or $40 million for a new facility?

So what if he doesn't have that kind of money?  It still doesn't change the fact that major ARC renovations were excluded during the last three capital campaigns.

NativeCheesehead

Personally I do not have $16 mil. I may, however, have a few K that i would be willing to donate if I knew every cent of it went to the ARC.

VULB#62

Speaking of which, Proud to Be Valpo kicks off on April 12

vu72

You can watch there press conference at 3:30 central today

http://vanderbilt.edu/coachdrew/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I am a recent Valpo Alum and I remember when they came out with this new strategic plan about 3-4 years ago. I remember going to one of the presentations on campus they were giving to students/alum/community members in the Library and they showed models and the rendering of potential future buildings and all. I was getting pretty excited and one of the alumni there whispered to me, "Don't get too excited kid. They come out with strategic plans every 10-15 years to get alum excited and donating." He said it sarcastically but somewhat serious too. Any alums know if his statement is true or not?

It seems like Valpo for about 2 decades or so decided to not invest too much into the campus, buildings, etc. and just in the last 8-10years we've slowly been getting the new union and the Library (loved the library at VU), visitors center, etc. We finally got a real track for the track team, so our athletes didn't have to run on asfalt track and get injured anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong but all the buildings other then the 'College of Arts & Sciences' building(fund with bonds), were donated by some extreme generous alumni? I know Valpo has been extremely conservative with the endowment and taking on debt. It just blows my mind that a Basketball program like Valpo is still playing in the ARC! I love the ARC because its a great place to watch a game and has a ton of character, it is a not D1 arena or a big selling point to recruits. The players locker rooms look a like a glorified custodians office with make due lockers in it compare to most D1 school locker rooms. It is truly amazing what Homer, Scott, and Bryce were able to all these years with a tight budget, and not great administrative financial support. For the sake of being able to raise donations from alum they really need to build upon what the Drews built and actually invest in the program with resources. The ARC was built in 1939. (( http://www.valpo.edu/150/timeline.php ) skip to 1939). Academics always comes first but the athletic programs, specifically Basketball (the Breadwinner) needs to become a priority.