• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2016, 02:43:06 PM
Personally I do not have $16 mil. I may, however, have a few K that i would be willing to donate if I knew every cent of it went to the ARC.
Here is the link for funding the Pep Band for the NIT.  Click on the 'Edit' next to Selected Designations; unclick the pep band, expand the Athletics Crusader Fund for specific sports, or click on 'other' and designate your funds to ARC expansion (whatever you desire).

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1347/giving/index.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=463&cid=1166&dids=72

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on April 06, 2016, 03:25:32 PM
It seems like Valpo for about 2 decades or so decided to not invest too much into the campus, buildings, etc. and just in the last 8-10years we've slowly been getting the new union and the Library (loved the library at VU), visitors center, etc. We finally got a real track for the track team, so our athletes didn't have to run on asfalt track and get injured anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong but all the buildings other then the 'College of Arts & Sciences' building(fund with bonds), were donated by some extreme generous alumni? I know Valpo has been extremely conservative with the endowment and taking on debt.

For many years the university didn't take loans - they had fundraising campaigns before building buildings. Under Heckler there's been a greater willingness to issue bonds to fund buildings. I think the first was around ten years ago. Arts and Sciences, Beacon Hall, and the new science building were funded in part through these bonds. Off hand, I'm not sure about the Union or Christopher Center/library. There have also been partnerships with private companies e.g. the Uptown East student housing.

QuoteThe players locker rooms look a like a glorified custodians office with make due lockers in it compare to most D1 school locker rooms.

Didn't they upgrade the basketball locker room, specifically, some years ago? I've not been inside, but I thought there were photos, and that it was modern. Anyone else share these memories?

Some of the general locker rooms in the ARC are high school locker rooms circa 1960, no question.

agibson

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2016, 02:11:29 PM
Ah, wasn't aware he worked for Vu. Still does great work. So we really have no one without formal ties reporting on the team.

Osipoff, for the Post Tribune, has no formal connection to the university as far as I know.

usc4valpo

Jon Scheyer would be an interesting coaching selection.

SanityLost17

For me, Tonagel is the answer.   I simply do not buy the argument about a "recruiting gap" and it being "too big of a transition", and "he needs to go to D2 or a low major D1 first".   That is all BS.  Saying that he can't coach D1 athletes (when he was one) and can't recruit more talented players is an insult to the man's intelligence.  I will take a dominant coach from the NAIA/D2 level over a guy with D1 coaching experience who has struggled to stay above .500 any day of the week.  Retreads DO NOT WORK and I am not interested in a high major assistant coach with no ties to the program and no previous coaching record. 

Homer did not have Tonagel's resume and Valpo was a mess back then.  We are in great shape right now.  He is a Valpo guy, has a state title in HS, and a winning resume that kids will like.  There is enough talent on this team that he will have an entire year to adjust to D1 recruiting, which is more than enough time.

SanityLost17

One more thing.  Remember that Tonagel was a very good player that chose to go to Valpo.  What better person to sell the school?  Valpo is a very unique recruiting situation.  We currently have a niche that is getting us recruits.  Tonagel fits in that niche and has proven baketball IQ.   High major assistants are very much hit or miss.  Many of them simply never have successful careers and retreads have already failed elsewhere or we wouldn't be getting them.  Neither makes sense for our niche market!       

valpotx

I have no issue with Valpo taking out bonds/debt to fund buildings.  Many companies are doing the same right now, because debt has never been cheaper.  My company is buying back a lot of its stock with its positive cash flow, but also by taking out/buying more debt.  It is best to take advantage before rates increase to what it used to be 10+ years ago.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 06, 2016, 08:16:08 PM
One more thing.  Remember that Tonagel was a very good player that chose to go to Valpo.  What better person to sell the school?  Valpo is a very unique recruiting situation.  We currently have a niche that is getting us recruits.  Tonagel fits in that niche and has proven baketball IQ.   High major assistants are very much hit or miss.  Many of them simply never have successful careers and retreads have already failed elsewhere or we wouldn't be getting them.  Neither makes sense for our niche market!       

With Powell potentially out of the picture, I would rather have Tonagel versus a non-Valpo hire.  He is extremely smart, based on the classes I had with him, and he was a very sought after basketball player.  He essentially saved us his last year at Valpo.  He was just supposed to be a coach, but he ended up 'coming out of retirement' to run the point midway through the season. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: vu72 on April 06, 2016, 02:12:20 PM
Quote from: Vinny on April 06, 2016, 01:07:34 PM
Again, what the Drews accomplished/were accomplishing didn't matter enough to the university admins. Guessing they'll figure it out once the $$$ stops flowing in. Frustrating and embarrassing.  >:( >:(

I'm seriously concerned for the future of both VU basketball and athletics. The commitment simply isn't there. I'm not so naive to think that we could've kept Bryce forever, but the university could've done more to keep him here longer and at least give him the chance to build VU into a Butler.

This hand wringing is getting pretty old.  Just what do you think the University could have done to keep Bryce here longer?  I have said it before, and it came from a very reliable source,that part of Bryce's contract made him the highest paid coach in the Horizon. He was at a reported $377,000 three years ago.  Let's say for this purpose that he was making $500,000.  Do you think another $100,000 would have kept him here?  Really?  If we had announced that the new Rec Center would break ground this fall and after completion the ARC would be renovated with new concessions stands, added bathrooms and seat reconfiguration to take on a more bowl like setting, all to be done in a five year period.  Would Vanderbilt's offer of $2.5 and the chance to coach at a private school in the SEC be ignored?  Nonsense.

Many seem to think they have knowledge of just how committed the administration is to athletic success at Valpo.  Others seem to know how much is being spent to accomplish various goals.  Please tells us!!  The fact is that there is a pretty strong "woe is me" attitude among some posters with zero knowledge of the facts.

WE WILL NOT BECOME YOUNGSTOWN STATE!!!  Back away from the ledge!!  Give Mark a chance to hire a successor and then listen to what that coach has to say about the program and its needs.  The world will not come to an end without a Drew in charge.

Not sure who you or ml are referring to relative to not knowing the facts about the university's commitment to the mens bb program, but since I stated in an earlier post that when Homer was coach he mentioned on multiple occasions that the ARC was a recruiting disadvantage and that changes needed to be made, I think I should respond to your comment.

Homer absolutely did say that and he absolutely raised it more than once.  More than that he was open to several options, including an upgraded facility, a new facility, and even a shared facility. Anyone - and I mean anyone - inside the university or out who says he didn't say the ARC was a recruiting liability or anyone who says he didn't raise this issue with certain university officials either has no clue about what went on back then or is "misremembering."  That's about as fair as I can be. I have no axe to grind with anyone and no reason to make it up.

The bottom line is this. The university may offer up a hundred reasons why the ARC has never been upgraded, but what they cannot claim is that they were not made aware of this as a pressing need by the Drews. They were made aware and they didn't act. Now, if we come to learn that something has been in the works for the past 3 years (which I highly doubt), I'll be the first to correct the record.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on April 06, 2016, 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: justducky on April 06, 2016, 01:54:06 PM
Bryce leaving should be no surprise. So obviously we should now be implementing our succession plan.

Wait! We don't have one!  :o

Patience. I've got patience until at least Friday. Maybe Monday.
Inevitable events invite detailed preparations. I have to assume that if Bryce, ML, and Homer have all been doing their jobs then communications have been clear and continuous. So I fully expect a replacement to be quickly named with the goal of keeping the core team intact. With that in mind I'll try to be patient even if that runs counter to my basic nature.

But my patience can be limited and should this devolve into a chaotic scramble with mass defections, you may want to cover your ears.  ;)

Chairback

I have to assume we have our coach.  Valpo going radio silent and not mentioning a "search" for a new head coach says a lot.

It's going to be Matt Lottich

vufan75

Valpo64 nailed it. This is how the coaching market goes now. VU has just been insulated from this in MBB due to Drew longevity coaching and passing of batons. Who of us in similar circumstances would not take a job paying 5 or 6 times what we were earning? Calm down and let MLB do his job now in finding a qualified replacement to carry the torch. An era has passed, time to now start a new one.

valpopal

Reading the posts in this thread, some expressing disappointment and others somewhat negative, I am reminded that just one week ago tonight we were all celebrating a victory in the NIT final four and looking forward to the championship game. Much of the conversation focused on the positive publicity coming from Valpo's presence at Madison Square Garden and on national television, especially with the hope that the exposure could be influential in obtaining recruits for next year and beyond. The current situation displays what a difference a week makes!

Consequently, I am determined to be a little patient, not to react much until some time passes and we discover what decisions are made in hiring a new head coach or by Alec about his future, as well as seeing what recruits might be arriving. In addition, one can still wish that Carter gets another year and that Derrik's red-shirt year means he will be more mature and have an even more productive first year on the court.

Also, I'd like to think that the university's administration will still try to exploit the NIT finals appearance to gain new followers through wise promotion of the program. As well, I'd appreciate it if the university could build on the full-house crowds seen in the home NIT games for a greater local fan base. As some posters have suggested, there apparently was not a comprehensive and efficient plan to take advantage of the Sweet Sixteen bonanza in 1998, and I hope the lesson from that has been learned.

Therefore, I'd like to believe this time Valparaiso will fully support the basketball program with more concrete progress toward an ARC renovation, at least with a projected plan and tangible timeline for fans to anticipate, as well as for conferences like the MVC to note. Perhaps moving forward from the Drew era should be seen as an excuse for complete renewal. I will wait and watch to see what the situation looks like as the new season comes closer. We have just witnessed how much of a difference a week could make, and this period of time before the beginning of next season provides an opportunity to test the university's commitment, as well as indicate the direction this basketball program will take. Time will tell, but it can't be too long since—as some already have shown in their posts—the patience of fans has a limit.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on April 06, 2016, 09:37:07 PM
Reading the posts in this thread, some expressing disappointment and others somewhat negative, I am reminded that just one week ago tonight we were all celebrating a victory in the NIT final four and looking forward to the championship game. Much of the conversation focused on the positive publicity coming from Valpo's presence at Madison Square Garden and on national television, especially with the hope that the exposure could be influential in obtaining recruits for next year and beyond. The current situation displays what a difference a week makes!

Consequently, I am determined to be a little patient, not to react much until some time passes and we discover what decisions are made in hiring a new head coach or by Alec about his future, as well as seeing what recruits might be arriving. In addition, one can still wish that Carter gets another year and that Derrik's red-shirt year means he will be more mature and have an even more productive first year on the court.

Also, I'd like to think that the university's administration will still try to exploit the NIT finals appearance to gain new followers through wise promotion of the program. As well, I'd appreciate it if the university could build on the full-house crowds seen in the home NIT games for a greater local fan base. As some posters have suggested, there apparently was not a comprehensive and efficient plan to take advantage of the Sweet Sixteen bonanza in 1998, and I hope the lesson from that has been learned.

Therefore, I'd like to believe this time Valparaiso will fully support the basketball program with more concrete progress toward an ARC renovation, at least with a projected plan and tangible timeline for fans to anticipate, as well as for conferences like the MVC to note. Perhaps moving forward from the Drew era should be seen as an excuse for complete renewal. I will wait and watch to see what the situation looks like as the new season comes closer. We have just witnessed how much of a difference a week could make, and this period of time before the beginning of next season provides an opportunity to test the university's commitment, as well as indicate the direction this basketball program will take. Time will tell, but it can't be too long since—as some already have shown in their posts—the patience of fans has a limit.

Well said.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 08:22:21 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 06, 2016, 08:16:08 PM

With Powell potentially out of the picture, I would rather have Tonagel versus a non-Valpo hire.  He is extremely smart, based on the classes I had with him, and he was a very sought after basketball player.  He essentially saved us his last year at Valpo.  He was just supposed to be a coach, but he ended up 'coming out of retirement' to run the point midway through the season. 

And forego a national search?  No way.  You either follow the Butler model or you don't.  If you're not going to hire immediately from within, then why limit your potential applicant pool so severely by going straight to Tonagel?  I'd rather Valpo put Tonagel on the short list but open it up and see who's out there.  This is D-I, not D-III.

valpo84

2 more names to think about for national search Cuonzo Martin and from the B1G assistant pool with Valpo ties (former assistant during Homer phase 1) Todd Foster. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

Osipoff breaking some news, it seems

Sources said assistant Roger Powell was considered their top choice, but the key recruiter is expected to join Drew's Vanderbilt staff.

Attention has shifted to three-year assistant and former Stanford standout Matt Lottich, according to sources.

The Powell news not surprising, but interesting to have "sources" confirming it. And, as maybe I mentioned, it's seemed to me that Oren and Osipoff are more conservative than some national reporters before running with these anonymously soured items.

valpotx

I still don't get why Powell wouldn't have been in a team meeting, especially if he already knew that he is leaving for Vandy.  Maybe he will have a separate team meeting to say goodbye, once he is confirmed?  He recruited most of our team, and he is a high character guy, so I have to think that he will do such a thing eventually.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Wondering aloud, since Bryce's picture has been removed from the coaching page, why is Rodger's picture still there if they are a package deal as speculated by almost all the reports? Surely you let your 16.3 million dollar man hire the assistant that he wants and if Powell is that man then I would think this would already have happened, so what is up with this delay?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

Quote from: FWalum on April 06, 2016, 10:48:16 PM
Wondering aloud, since Bryce's picture has been removed from the coaching page, why is Rodger's picture still there if they are a package deal as speculated by almost all the reports? Surely you let your 16.3 million dollar man hire the assistant that he wants and if Powell is that man then I would think this would already have happened, so what is up with this delay?
Bryce's picture wasn't removed until there was an official announcement, as far as I recall. No such announcement yet for Powell, so there's that.

wh

Quote from: agibson on April 06, 2016, 10:18:48 PM
Osipoff breaking some news, it seems

Sources said assistant Roger Powell was considered their top choice, but the key recruiter is expected to join Drew's Vanderbilt staff.

Attention has shifted to three-year assistant and former Stanford standout Matt Lottich, according to sources.

The Powell news not surprising, but interesting to have "sources" confirming it. And, as maybe I mentioned, it's seemed to me that Oren and Osipoff are more conservative than some national reporters before running with these anonymously soured items.

As if Bryce leaving isn't bad enough, now we learn that he has poached our top assistant, best recruiter in program history, and top choice for new head coach. Why do I suddenly get the feeling that Alec Peters may be wearing a different VU uniform next year?

agibson

Quote from: Valpower on April 06, 2016, 10:59:48 PMBryce's picture wasn't removed until there was an official announcement, as far as I recall. No such announcement yet for Powell, so there's that.

It was down 5-30 minutes before thenVandy and Valpo announcements. Not sure how much more than that (not something I check regularly).

FWalum

Quote from: Valpower on April 06, 2016, 10:59:48 PM
Quote from: FWalum on April 06, 2016, 10:48:16 PM
Bryce's picture wasn't removed until there was an official announcement, as far as I recall. No such announcement yet for Powell, so there's that.
My point exactly, no official announcement when there should have been one already.  Bryce has more power right now at Vandy the he will ever have unless he makes an elite 8 or final 4 run, and if he wants Powell there should be no delay in announcing it, unless Powell and Bryce are waiting to see what else may happen for Rodger.  If I am Powell and Bryce knows that I want to follow him to Vandy and he hasn't made it happen yet then well.....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

rogerwilco

If Valpo didn't roll out a good-enough red carpet for Roger Powell, then I'm concerned.

Maybe they fear that he's job-jumper candidate in two years. Not a long-term hire. That fear I can understand.

usc4valpo

Tonagel IMO would not be a wise choice. A huge part of coaching at Div. 1 is recruiting, which obviously much different than NAIA Div. 2.