• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

ML and the search and hiring process.

Mark has many connections in the NCAA Div-I world.  He has also demonstrated his loyalty to our university on numerous occasions, especially given the limitations that go along with being charged to be the best steward of the funds the BOD has authorized annually for the athletics program.  He has a close working relationship with President Heckler and understands the President's agenda.  If the way he went about hiring Dave Cecchini to replace Dale Carlson as the HFBC is any indicator

(1) he already had a plan in place for Bryce's replacement long before this whole thing came down -- heck, was there anyone that thought Bryce would stay forever as evidenced by his flirtations with the likes of MSU, ISU and DePaul? 
(2) He developed a possible candidates list through his network, solicited trustworthy opinions, narrowed his short list and then went through a thorough vetting process with Cecchini and sold him on Valpo.
(3) He did all of this without a lot of fanfare or public gyrations. Valpo is unique in many ways, one of which is the athletic culture and environment.  It requires a certain type of coach to be compatible with and succeed in that environment.  Mark understands this, and it will be one guiding parameter among many that he will use to select Valpo's next HC. 

Having said this, my personal belief is that Roger Powell was plan A.  But it takes two to make a deal.  For whatever reason, Roger has chosen to follow Bryce to Nashville and pass on the opportunity to become a mid-major D-I HC.  Roger, certainly was not going to command Bryce's vacated salary right off the bat. As an insider, he also was very familiar with the limitations that come with being the VU HC (facilities, budget, relatively small and narrow alumni base, scheduling headaches, etc., etc.). It is what it is.

So, it's on to Plan B.  Whoever ML selects and courts to be the next HC of the MBB program, you can be sure that he will be technically qualified (recruiting as well as Xs and Os), will be compatible with the Valpo culture, and will fit into the athletic department and the Valpo community as a whole.

Valpo has actually been left in an enviable position, though question marks still remain -- most prominently Alec's return.  Valpo is not replacing a coach fired because of a losing program.  There is much that is attractive to good coaches about coaching MBB here.  In this regard ML is working from a position of relative strength. Of course he doesn't have millions to throw around, but MBB is the school's flagship sport, and I'm confident that both he and the president understand that.  Like a previous poster suggested, this is the ideal time to take the program up a notch.  Although its a shame that course changes like this have to occur after a significant event like this rather than before, let's let him do his job.

vu72

I find it a little strange that there has been no announcement that "an immediate national search will begin to find Coach Drew's replacement", or some such thing.  Perhaps because the plan has always been to look within rather then outside the family. Unfortunately first we must determine who in the family wants to stay.

As for Powell jumping ship to go with Bryce, the answer may be that it was made clear that seniority would indicate that the job would first be offered to Luke, who apparently didn't go on the plane to Nashville.  If Luke isn't the guy then it would have to be a national search where many very qualified candidates exist.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

[tweet]718073439089721344[/tweet]

valpotx

I completely forgot that Bryce's agent is his sister.
"Don't mess with Texas"

SanityLost17

Not every assistant coach has aspirations of being a head coach.   Perhaps Powell loves recruiting and interacting with the players on a more personal level than most head coaches have the freedom to do.  He will get paid very well at Vandy without having to deal with all the stress of being a head coach.   Also, he and Bryce may be great friends and want to make it to a final 4 together.  To me, Powell leaving does not say anything about our program, it just says that Powell's aspirations are different than what we, as fans, expect his aspirations to be.     

govalpogo

So what would we think of Lottich?  Haven't seen much discussion on him.

VULB#62

His VU Bio:

Matt Lottich joined the Valparaiso men's basketball coaching staff as an assistant coach in the summer of 2013, and is entering his third season in 2015-16.

During his first two seasons on the Crusader bench, Lottich has helped lead Valpo to 46 victories, highlighted by a school-record 28 wins in 2014-15. The Crusaders have gone to the postseason in each of Lottich's two years at Valpo, including an NCAA Tournament appearance last season after capturing the Horizon League regular season and tournament titles. In his two years, Valpo has boasted a pair of First Team All-Horizon League honorees and three Horizon League All-Freshman Team recipients.

Lottich played professionally most recently in Japan in the bj League, spending eight years in Japan in two separate stints. Lottich suited up for the Oita Heat Devils from 2009 through 2012, serving as team captain all four years and earned league All-Star recognition in 2011. He also helped Osaka Evessa to three league championships in a four-year period from 2005 through 2008, three times earning All-Star honors en route to titles.

Lottich also played in the Bundesliga for the Dusseldorf Giants during the 2008-2009 campaign. Prior to his start in the bj League, Lottich spent the summer of 2004 with the New Jersey Nets' summer league squad, and then played in New Zealand for the Harbor Heat of the NBL.

Off the court, Lottich comes to Valpo from the National Collegiate Scouting Association, where he started in January of 2013. Lottich ascended to the position of Head Scout during his time with the NCSA, which helps high school athletes navigate the world of college recruiting. Lottich also co-founded the TEAM Life Skills basketball camp in 2004 and has helped manage and develop the camp over the last nine years.

Lottich played collegiately at Stanford University, where he was named to the Wooden Award midseason candidates list as a senior in 2004. Lottich would go on to be named an NABC All-Star, awarded to the top-15 college basketball seniors, as he helped guide Stanford to the Pac-10 title.

Lottich earned Honorable Mention All Pac-10 accolades as a senior and earned a spot on the conference's All-Tournament Team. Lottich, who totaled 891 points for the Cardinals over his four-year career, also was a part of their conference championship squad in 2000-2001 as a freshman. He ranks among Stanford's single-season and career best in 3-pointers made as well.

Prior to his collegiate career, he played his prep basketball at New Trier [Ill.] H.S., where he became and still remains the program's all-time leading scorer. Lottich was named the 2000 Chicago Tribune Athlete of the Year as well following his senior season.

Lottich and his wife, Kylan have four children: Grace, Matthan, Christian and Landon.

VUOR63

I grew up around Stanford University and frequently went to Stanford basketball/football games with my dad, went to basketball camps in the summers.  So when I heard Matt Lottich was going to be an assistant coach, I was pumped because Stanford basketball under Mike Montgomery was a fantastic show. 

In fact, the last couple years of Valpo basketball looked a lot like Stanford teams in the 1990s/early 00s where you had guys buying into a system willing to play roles.  Whether that was Keith Carter playing like Brevin Knight/Art Lee/Mike Mcdonald, Alec Peters playing like Adam Keefe/Bart Lammersen/Peter Sauer(RIP),  Vashil being a force in the middle ala Tim Young/Collins twins or some of our shooting guards filling it up like Dion Cross/Kris Weems/Lottich.

I'm not sure how much influence Lottich had on the program the last couple years, but I can't help but think he had a lot to do with the on-court success.  We certainly could do a lot worse with him as head coach -- Stanford educated and well versed on the kind of basketball I like to watch.

valpopal

Echoing a comment made by another, no announcement by the university has been made about a wide search, which would indicate a candidate for new head coach has already been identified. The fact that MLB has had a few years to consider the possibility of Bryce leaving and that VU will not be using a search firm leads me to believe a decision will be made quickly, which should be good for continuity and resuming recruiting.

classof2014

Starting to sound more and more that the hire has been on the Valpo staff for a while. To me a hire from within is the best thing regarding next season; with the amount of talented seniors and juniors who are already comfortable playing for Coach X.

Like many others it sounds more and more like it'll be Lottich or Gore at the helm next season. Can't complain about that a whole heck of a lot.

Valpo89

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 07, 2016, 10:03:36 AM
Lottich and his wife, Kylan have four children: Grace, Matthan, Christian and Landon.

Four kids! Wow. How would he have time to be the VU basketball coach on top of that?

a3uge

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 07, 2016, 11:18:33 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 07, 2016, 10:03:36 AM

Four kids! Wow. How would he have time to be the VU basketball coach on top of that?

Do we have room for 4 assistants?

valpopal

New coach will be named today.

NativeCheesehead

Any info on streaming of the press conference?

FWalum

I think that Vandy set the bar pretty high on how this type of announcement should be handled.  Would love to see something similar from our VU.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on April 07, 2016, 11:53:16 AM

Given the speed, my guess is Luke Gore.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on April 07, 2016, 12:27:40 PM
I think that Vandy set the bar pretty high on how this type of announcement should be handled.  Would love to see something similar from our VU.

Me too, but the other VU had days to prepare - our VU not so much.  Was the Crusader at Porter County Airport to greet the new coach flying in on the Valpo corporate jet?

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on April 07, 2016, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 07, 2016, 11:53:16 AM

Given the speed, my guess is Luke Gore.

Hedging bet.... or Lottich

Long shot Tonagel.

[In the words of Em Bauer: "When the count is full, you can expect a fastball, curveball... or something else."]

a3uge

Oren tweeting it's not Tonagel...

valpo95

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 07, 2016, 08:54:26 AM
[tweet]718073439089721344[/tweet]
I don't have any inside information, but it is possible that Vanderbilt can pay assistant coaches more than a head coach might make at Valpo. Roger and Bryce seem to have a great relationship by all accounts, so it should not be all that surprising they would stay together at the other VU.

valpo84

VULB62 loved the Emory quote.  Still use "delay and be quick."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

usc4valpo

On that quote, I think either John Wooden copied Emory Bauer or vice-versa.

VULB#62

I think Em stole it from Yogi Bera

valpotx

I hope that it is Lottich over Gore.  I believe that Lottich would have more pull with solid Valpo recruits, due to playing at Stanford and professionally.  Gore seems like a great guy, but his athletic background is not as impressive, past his Valpo coaching experience. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 07, 2016, 01:07:25 PM
I hope that it is Lottich over Gore.  I believe that Lottich would have more pull with solid Valpo recruits, due to playing at Stanford and professionally.  Gore seems like a great guy, but his athletic background is not as impressive, past his Valpo coaching experience. 

Just keep Matt as the first asst for recruiting purposes.  Luke has been the guy who is interviewed pre and post game as has been the pattern for a long time with the senior most assistants.  It's Luke.