• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

I see Matt handing over the reins to one of his sons one day. #ValpoDynasty #LottichistheNewDrew

VUOR63

Here's a video off of youtube.  "Miracle at Maples".  Notice who is giving the pregame speech at the beginning...

https://youtu.be/4Vt_mxgmMY8

ValpoDad89

That is amazing and assures me the right guy got the job.

wh

Just watched the press conference. Very impressive. It was especially encouraging to hear Matt indicate that the players are committed to staying together.

valpopal

Congratulations to MLB for his quick and decisive announcement! I believe he has made a fine choice. Matt Lottich also provided an excellent first impression as head coach. In addition, I appreciate the loyalty of Luke Gore.

However, I was disappointed that President Heckler's comments at the press conference, on the Athletics website, and in a long e-mail distributed to the university community praising Lottich did not include a single word of concrete support to the basketball program or even a hint about the future of the physical facilities.  This would have been an ideal situation for the administration simply to indicate it would build on the momentum of the NIT run and the team's new leadership by examining with the new head coach how the basketball program could be strengthened further for a more prominent national profile. It just seems another opportunity in a spotlighted moment for a public pledge of administrative support that would be welcomed by fans, alumni, and financial supporters was missed. This is the kind of thing that reminds me of missed opportunities in the period following the 1998 Sweet Sixteen appearance. 

valpotx

Can we expect a Coach Childress to show up in the next few seasons?  His NBA career didn't pan out, so why not try coaching at Valpo? ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

I don't want to be a jerk and will obviously give the new coach a try.  Why didn't Bryce want to take him? 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Maybe it was the other way around, and he didn't want to go, rather wanting to try and make his own way as a head coach at Valpo ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Quote from: valpopal on April 07, 2016, 08:17:45 PMdid not include a single word of concrete support to the basketball program or even a hint about the future of the physical facilities.

I was thinking the same thing.  Would have been a perfect time for it.  I assume there is none then because you couldn't have a better time to say something.

My favorite quote from Matt was that it's been a long time since Valpo won a game in the tourney and let's win one.  To me he was framing and put our past level of success in perspective.  We were comfortable with the Drew's but there's a huge hump this program was never able to get over.  T25 wins and a recent NCAA win was the big black cloud that has hung over the programs head.

Also, where was Todd Ickow?  If Todd left I think I would be more upset than Bryce leaving.

oklahomamick

Ickow went with Bryce and Powell.  Package deal, contract was just too good to pass up.   :lol:
CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoDad89

Mick, he just saw his HC and top,assistant get major pay days from Vandy. He watched a peer, who I assume knows and trusts, get a bump up. Lottich I am sure just got a major jump in salary as did Luke as he is now the Top Assistsnt. If he is seeing big picture, he is seeing that he is a BIG opportunity in front of him to develop his coaching acumen and provide himself a bigger out someday in the future, like is still a baby, despite his years here, in coaching circles. Plus, he may say, I really like Valpo and all it did for me and I don't want to leave them high and dry. Either way, he helps the continuity and works to our advantage.

Either way, if Luke stays and Matt leaves a few years down the road (due to high on court success we all hope) guess whose program this is? If we keep what we're doing and Luke stayed and is passed up next time, I'd be highly disappointed in the admin. Until we become a Butler, who always kept the job in house, we really are better served by promoting from within.

crusaderjoe

Excellent hire.  Great job by the AD.  Very impressed by the interview.  The most important part of it for me occurred around the 5:49 mark when Lottich referred to the team as "my team" when speaking in the context of change.  A very subtle reference, and one that easily could have been missed because it was quick, but the comment itself spoke volumes.  That was the line of demarcation which officially closed the Drew era.  This is his program now.

ValpoDad89

As an addendum to my last statement, Homer was part of the athletic administration. My guess is it would be Lottich or Powell who got passe the baton. Obviously Roger didn't want it. There was a succession plan in place behind closed doors I am sure and it include one or the other and not both. Bryce was taking one of them with home. That being said, Bryce would be a fool if he didn't keep one or two of the current Vandy assistants on staff to help with the tansitition, especially when they have so much returning. That means he could only take so many. Leaving us Lottich and Gore means our cupboard is far from bare from a coaching perspective and gives Matt an opportunity to bring in some guys he knows. Given his time in Chicago, at Stanford, playing for a top ranked team his time there, and overseas, I'm sure he made some GOOD connections that would wet him in Valparaiso, IN.

ValpoDad89

CrusaderJoe, I liked that too. Time to really close the chapter. I've only been around the program for a few years but always loved the vibe and atmosphere that made up Valpo U. The Drews only went so far in creating that vibe. This is Matt's team for worse or more likely better. I love his attitude and the fact the kids all like him. If he can sell all,these kids to,stay, I trust he can sell a recruit. What Micah Brsdford's dad said spoke volumes as well. I'll tell you this, living in Illlinois and knowing some guys in the recruiting game, Micah will be. A steal for us. Think Keith Carter 2.0

VU2014

I'm feeling good today with the Lottich hire and Presser, and the new Star Wars Rogue One Trailer came out today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

ValpoDad89

So,what you're saying VU2014 is Matt Lottich is Rogue One!! ::) ::) ;D

wh

Men's basketball
Valparaiso's players endorse Lottich

Paul Oren Times Correspondent Updated 5 min ago 

VALPARAISO — The members of the Valparaiso men's basketball team read social media just as much as anyone else, so when word came down that Bryce Drew was departing for Vanderbilt, the players came together and a made a decision.

"It was about unity for us," Valparaiso junior Shane Hammink said. "We knew that Coach Drew was about to leave so we wanted to meet and we wanted to make sure this team stayed together."

Hammink, Tevonn Walker and David Skara all talked Thursday afternoon following Matt Lottich's introductory press conference as Valparaiso's new basketball coach that keeping the team together was of utmost importance. The players ranged in their answers from "very confident" to "nearly 100 percent" when asked if they would all be returning to Valparaiso next season. What was abundantly clear was that the current players were thrilled for Lottich.

"I'm very happy for him," Walker said. "It was a good decision. We had a meeting today and we're all excited."

Keeping the current roster together has become job one for Lottich and assistant coach Luke Gore. If Thursday's press conference is any indication, Lottich will play well with the community and with future recruits, but keeping the current players happy will be what helps Valparaiso keep the positive momentum going forward from this season's National Invitational Tournament run.

"This is great because we already know Coach Lottich," Skara said. "It's easier when you know the person and you they know who you are. This was important, the hiring of Coach Lottich."

The players met by themselves on Monday and then met with Drew and Lottich on Tuesday afternoon when Drew announced he was leaving for Vanderbilt. Valparaiso director of athletics Mark LaBarbera met with the players Wednesday to walk the team through the process and Lottich held his first team meeting 30 minutes before he was introduced as the new head coach.

"This is one of the closest teams I've ever been around," Lottich said. "This team loves each other. This team wants to play with one another. This team actually had a team-only meeting talking about how they wanted to stay together. That shows their character and shows their commitment to this university."

With Alec Peters' status up in the air for next season, Hammink, Walker and Skara are expected to be three key leaders on the team along with Jubril Adekoya. The late signing period is right around the corner and Lottich will be looking to fill his staff quickly as the Crusaders have at least three open scholarships remaining. Lottich served as incoming freshman Micah Bradford's primary recruiter and all signs point to the Bradley-Bourbonnais point guard honoring his commitment to Valparaiso and arriving on campus this summer.

valpotx

I still don't get why Powell was not involved in any team meeting.  I assume that he will return to Valpo to say goodbye eventually, but why not be involved in that Tuesday meeting?
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

That is a great question tx. I am going to honest if Drew left, which he did, Powell was my 1A and Lottich my 1B. Powell had more experience in my book but he didn't want the job apparently. His loss, Matt's gain. BUT I thought it was his when we beat St. Marys at the ARC. When the students swarmed to the court and he came out and addressed the crowd and prayed with the students in a full court prayer circle, I thought a proverbial baton was being passed as Drew normally did that. I figured Drew knew he was going elsewhere...Apparently Bryce had premonitions about Vandy...

Since he recruited a lot of these kids, the noble thing to do would be to man up and address them. I am sure there are many of them with hurt feelings. For gosh sakes they are young men but mere young men!!! Maybe that's why earlier my daughter mentioned Tevonn and Jubril looking else where as they felt they were slighted. But in any fashion, he gave an impassioned speech but like I heard from Drew, it really didn't mean much as they both talked about the future here and both are gone. Meanwhile, guys in the MBB locker room who came based on their words are left.

rogerwilco

The return flight from Nashville didn't arrive until almost 7pm tonight. I assume that Powell left on the flight with Bryce to interview, not knowing if he had the job at that point. I'm sure he'll meet with the team soon.

Also worth noting, a round-trip flight on Thursday from Porter County to Ohio State?
Jake Diebler, come on down!!! Or, is it Greg Paulus? My bet is on the former...

Another one to South Bend. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or if we're going to snag someone from Mike Brey's staff.

rogerwilco

Then again, I see that exact same plane has a flight from Ohio State to Nashville scheduled for today.
Is Drew adding Diebler or Paulus to his Vanderbilt staff? I'm so confused...

wh

Quote from: rogerwilco on April 08, 2016, 12:44:03 AM
The return flight from Nashville didn't arrive until almost 7pm tonight. I assume that Powell left on the flight with Bryce to interview, not knowing if he had the job at that point. I'm sure he'll meet with the team soon.

Also worth noting, a round-trip flight on Thursday from Porter County to Ohio State?
Jake Diebler, come on down!!! Or, is it Greg Paulus? My bet is on the former...

Another one to South Bend. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or if we're going to snag someone from Mike Brey's staff.

Good detective work.

Crusader99

I have been a long time visitor to this board, Valpo season ticket holder, and greatly admire the passion on this board. The one thing I have never done is post on this forum for a myriad of reasons.

I did want to lend some clarity to a topic that keeps being discussed. Coach Powell missed the team meeting Tuesday because he was still with his family in Houston at the final 4 and no personal decision had been made. In fact, he returned to Valpo late last night I believe (essentially he has been gone for 11 straight days, since the team left for NY). 

If you know coach Powell or anyone else that was on the staff this season, then you know how much they love each other and their players. These transitions are never easy for anyone involved: players, fans, or coaches. Both the Valpo and Vandy programs are in great hands and are now led by great individuals with Valpo roots. Changes such as this don't always end up that way!

VULB#62

[tweet]718289548011249665[/tweet]

Between 99's post and Pauls tweet, we have a good picture of what has transpired regarding Roger.  Wish the guy well in Nashville.  In retrospect, ML had three really good guys to choose from.  Roger opted out, but listening to Lottich yesterday convinced me that we will be fine. I think he will bring a lot more intensity to practices and each game.

So now it's Friday -- seems like Monday was a month ago.  I'm already missing the almost second by second posts swirling around the Drew departure, the interminable wait for his replacement to be announced and the speculation over who it would be.  I'm thinking the 2016 Recruiting thread is gonna be the new hot spot on this board for a least the next month along with continued speculation on Alec's eventual decision.

Anyway, best wishes Coach Lottich, good luck Alec at the NBA combine, and GO VALPO!

oklahomamick

Just being real, but one cannot judge by a press conference.  I've seen really good coaches who are terrible at PR and I've seen bad coaches be a fan favorite because they good public speakers and say the right things. 

I'm not saying one way or another, but please don't look too much into a press conference.  The 1st press conference. 
CRUSADERS!!!