• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

While I've been outspoken in my criticism of the university and administration, Valpo hit a home run with this hire. Excellent job!!

VULB#62

With the departure of Bryce and Roger that leaves two coaching slots to fill.  Matt was the "O" Assistant from what I could ascertain.  I don't know what Roger's technical/bench responsibilities were. I would assume Luke will continue to do what he was doing previously.   Anyway, Matt has to find two assistant coaches.  What kind of coaches will he be looking for to ensure that he and his staff have all the playing positions covered as well as overall O and D?

valpo84

I would like a big man coach who can work with Derrick (I know Luke has had that responsibility but Luke isn't really a big man). Wished that Vashil had learned a drop step move at some point!

Other coach needs to be a recruiter type.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Valpo89

Recruiter type: Chris Artis.

agibson

Quote from: VUOR63 on April 07, 2016, 05:15:19 PM
Here's a video off of youtube.  "Miracle at Maples".  Notice who is giving the pregame speech at the beginning...

https://youtu.be/4Vt_mxgmMY8

Great video!  Tiger Woods... what a sweater!

Fiery speech from Lottich pre-game, rebound! Great steel, and solid defense on the pivotal possession.

That is some band they've got.

agibson

Quote from: Chairback on April 07, 2016, 09:00:15 PM
Also, where was Todd Ickow?  If Todd left I think I would be more upset than Bryce leaving.

[tweet]718462624086810624[/tweet]

Pgmado

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 08, 2016, 09:58:42 AMI'm already missing the almost second by second posts swirling around the Drew departure, the interminable wait for his replacement to be announced and the speculation over who it would be.

I'm not.

rogerwilco

Ohio State assistant coach Jeff Boals will be the next head coach at Stony Brook.
We shall see what that means for the VU staff per Jake Diebler and possibly Greg Paulus.

ValpoDad89

Valpo84, Derrick has the best big man coach we could ask for, his dad. The Crusaderettes (who my daughter is part of) practice in the "old gym" knows Derrick as well. She said, they held off a practice for about 15-20 minutes while Derrick amd Rik worked on things about a month ago. Finally her coach is like sir, we have to practice.

FWalum

All the talk about Greg Tonagel has made one thing abundantly clear, if Greg ever has any desire to be the HC at VU as long as Mark L is here Greg better get his butt on the staff.  I think he would make an excellent assistant, but I really don't think he has any desire to leave IWU. I don't pretend to know Greg other than casually meeting him a few times on the bench so if someone has other knowledge I will stand corrected. Would be interesting to know how much Greg  maintained his relationship with Homer and the Drew family and if his presence at VU would have made him known to Coach Lottich .
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUOR63

Eric Reveno just got fired from the University of Portland and is a great big man coach.  Could Lottich use the Stanford connection and lure him to Valpo?

valpo84

Valpodad89, then maybe we should add Rik to the staff  8-)   

SanityLost17

http://news-sentinel.com/sports/columns/Valpo-AD-drops-the-ball-in-ignoring-Tonagel?platform=hootsuite

Interesting article.  I have no problem with hiring from within, but I think an interview would have been nice, just for due diligence.  Hopefully there was at least some phone conversation between the two camps talking about what it would take to ever be a head coach here, because I do think Tonagel has something special about him.   

valpo84

The author has a lot of "opinion" in there.  He should have gone to Paul Oren's tweets or how about seeking an interview with the AD about whether there was mutual interest and what, if any, discussions transpired.  A quote from Greg about the process may have also been helpful.  Frankly, it's shoddy reporting and best left for fish wrap.

agibson

There were reports about contact between Tonagel's camp and VU. It seems that the possibility was considered.

valpo64

Leave it to Tom Davis to give his 2 cents worth.  He finally puts something in his paper, other than news service articles, about Valpo and then it is criticism.  Isn't it funny that he never mentions anything about Butler's problems, and never criticizes them.

ValpoFan

In the article, Tom Davis says:
===
And in such, the Crusader leadership sent a strong message to any non-Division I coach – regardless of their success – that there is indeed a daunting – if not insurmountable - wall to climb if they ever aspire to coach at that level.
===

Does anyone see any thing wrong with sending such a message?
If you want to ever be a D1 coach, join someone else's staff and prove that you can recruit/coach at that level, otherwise, PEACE!

vusupporter

Amazing how Valpo follows the Butler model and he still finds a way to criticize. So far up Butler's...

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo84 on April 09, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
The author has a lot of "opinion" in there.  He should have gone to Paul Oren's tweets or how about {FIRST} seeking an interview with the AD about whether there was mutual interest and what, if any, discussions transpired.  A quote from Greg about the process may have also been helpful.  Frankly, it's shoddy reporting and best left for fish wrap.

Agreed.  And it is not reporting - pure opinion.

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on April 08, 2016, 11:21:07 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 08, 2016, 09:58:42 AMI'm already missing the almost second by second posts swirling around the Drew departure, the interminable wait for his replacement to be announced and the speculation over who it would be.

I'm not.

Been busy lately?  ;D

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on April 09, 2016, 12:49:36 PM
Leave it to Tom Davis to give his 2 cents worth.  He finally puts something in his paper, other than news service articles, about Valpo and then it is criticism.  Isn't it funny that he never mentions anything about Butler's problems, and never criticizes them.
valpo64 you hit the nail on the head! I am sure that Tom is reading our forum and somehow came up with this brilliant angle of an article based on some of our posts just to kick VU in the shin.  I will be asking him if he even talked to Greg or Mark and if he did why there were no comments attributed to either one of them.  It really takes guts to write that article completely out of the blue when you haven't lifted one finger to cover Valpo in as long as I can remember.  If Paul Oren had written this article I could maybe understand (I am sure he would have at least included some quotes from Greg or Mark), but to be completely unassociated with the program and then to write something this scathing is ridiculous.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vusupporter

I'm just surprised he didn't find some way to shoehorn in that IPFW belongs in the Horizon League.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on April 09, 2016, 04:16:59 PMI am sure that Tom is reading our forum and somehow came up with this brilliant angle of an article based on some of our posts just to kick VU in the shin.  I will be asking him if he even talked to Greg or Mark and if he did why there were no comments attributed to either one of them.  It really takes guts to write that article completely out of the blue when you haven't lifted one finger to cover Valpo in as long as I can remember.
Next time you spot him holler, wave, smile then strut on over and deliver a sucker punch. This has powers of enlightenment that you can not imagine!

wh

Valpo is one of the top 10 mid major programs in the country. It literally ranks above hundreds of other D-1 programs in standing. Can anyone think of even 1 NAIA D-2 coach that leap frogged hundreds of higher rated non D-1 programs, junior college programs, low major D-1 programs, and the pot full of lesser regarded mid major programs to become the head coach of a program of our stature?  I loved Greg as a player, but if not for that fact his name would never have been mentioned, despite his success. Has anyone ever heard his name mentioned in regard to a head coaching vacancy anywhere in D-1?  Has he ever been offered an Asst. position anywhere in D-1?  Not that I've ever heard. Is he a great recruiter?  Well, yeah, in small all white towns in northern Indiana like Bremen, and Plymouth, and Napannee. Would that translate to inner-city Chicago?  The answer is anyone's guess since he's never ever done it before. As successful as Homer was he was never able break through that barrier. When Scott was Homer's primary recruiter, he never broke through. It took Bryce, Roger and Matt collectively to finally break that barrier. As hard as it was to establish, why in the world would ML risk losing it by turnimg over the keys to someone with a blank line on his resume for something that important?  That article is completely ridiculous and the author is an ignorant  :censored: for suggesting that ml somehow unfairly wrote Greg off. By the way, for the same reasons I just gave, I would not consider Greg for one of the Asst. vacancies either. I want to see someone that inner-city kids can relate to and trust. If there's a Roger Powell clone out there somewhere, let's find him.

VU2014

Wow!! I along with a few other people commented on the Tom Davis article online on the News Sentinel and the comments got deleted by the website!! The comments were critical but completely respectful. That is ridiculous! A very thin skinned publication who doesn't want to get feed back on the article.

I encourage everyone to comment on the News Sentinel article.