• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo hosts Missouri State Feb 25th 7PM Senior Night

Started by VUBBFan, February 24, 2020, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 10:07:56 PMI'm glad the company is doing what it can to account for their safety. If you are praying people it is only right that we send our prayers to their team for a safe journey home.

Flight left Gary at 11:10... arrived in Springfield at 12:50am...  Apparently, Freight Runners needed the plane (or the pilots/attendants) at their home base in Milwaukee... they took off immediately and landed in Milwaukee at 3:02am.   all safe and sound.

SanityLost17

Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2020, 09:37:59 PM
Ryan Fazekas goes 5-6 from 3 tonight and is now 36-70 for the year putting him at 51.42% for the season and now 84-181 for his VU career or 46.41%. This is a top 3 conference team if Ryan had been healthy all season.

I would say 4th.   Childs was out for Bradley most of the season too.   We had a lot of growing pains at center, although Krikke/McMillan are now showing flashes, that still has hurt us, especially stopping good big men. 

Point being, with JFL/Clay/Fazeekas on the court and healthy we are at worst the 4th best team in this conference.   Fact. 

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 06:10:44 PMUh oh... We're in trouble aren't we?

As for missing JFL we played extremely well without him. Maybe, because of his hype and great athletic ability, we depend too much on him to carry the game for us.

4throwfan

Quote from: bbtds on February 26, 2020, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 06:10:44 PMUh oh... We're in trouble aren't we?

As for missing JFL we played extremely well without him. Maybe, because of his hype and great athletic ability, we depend too much on him to carry the game for us.

Maybe playing without JFL for this game is something that was just what the doctor ordered for this team.  They need to be able to do well without him when he needs to sit, or fouls out.  Possibly, this game gave the team confidence to do that.

However, I don't want to go to the medicine cabinet for that medicine too often.  Looking forward to his return soon.

justducky

Quote from: 4throwfan on February 26, 2020, 12:41:03 PMMaybe playing without JFL for this game is something that was just what the doctor ordered for this team.

The whole point guard by committee approach shouldn't be working this well (my opinion). I realize that the distinctions between a Lottich 1, a Lottich 2, and a Lottich 3 are pretty hazy but by I could observationally argue that while Lorange, Morgan, Sackey and JFL have carried the main load: Clay, Gordon, Kiser and Robinson have also taken their turns in the barrel. Boy would it be nice to get Nick and Javon 90% healthy for St Louis! Having only 5 healthy point guards just isn't enough.  ;)

elephtheria47

I think MoSt was just as shocked as the fans were that JFL was out. I'm assuming he was their main defensive scheme and when he was out, so was their plan.  Certainly didnt think we were gonna smoke em by 20 though when I noticed him in sweats!

FieldGoodie05

Anyone know if they did a post-game presser last night?  Couldn't find it, maybe Senior Night prevented the presser?  Paul, can you comment?

EddieCabot

It would be silly to say the team is better without JFL, but it was clear that from the tip last night that the ball movement was much better than normal and several players were much more confident in looking to score.  If they could keep those positives in effect when JFL returns, the team could be really dangerous in Arch Madness.

VUBBFan

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 26, 2020, 03:57:46 PM
It would be silly to say the team is better without JFL, but it was clear that from the tip last night that the ball movement was much better than normal and several players were much more confident in looking to score.  If they could keep those positives in effect when JFL returns, the team could be really dangerous in Arch Madness.

I believe part of our success, was a carry over from our hot shooting by everyone in the previous game. I saw a lot of confidence in our players at the start of the game and it grew as the shots kept falling. Hope this continues on with the Indiana State game and the MVC tournament

vu84v2

I only saw the end of the first half and the entire second half, but one big difference was that Sackey had a very good game. Another difference was that Kiser took more of a playmaker role. Plus, good shooting always makes everything look good (28 of 48 from three point range in the last two games).

VUGrad1314

Shooting always tends to even out over the course of a game or a season which is one reason why I thought a comeback against Illinois State was possible. There is no way we were as bad shooting as we had been until this recent stretch. Luckily we are seeing ours even out at the right time. I hope the shot shooting continues in Terre Haute. We need this one! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

Pgmado

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 26, 2020, 02:27:36 PM
Anyone know if they did a post-game presser last night?  Couldn't find it, maybe Senior Night prevented the presser?  Paul, can you comment?

There was a presser, but it wasn't filmed, likely because that crew was filming the senior speeches and the presser happened really fast right after.

The "highlight" was Lottich revealing the mono diagnosis.

VUfan

Finally a Winning record for the regular season , that has not happened in a while!!!! now  ;D
Now how about a Winning record in the valley

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 26, 2020, 05:02:23 PM
I only saw the end of the first half and the entire second half, but one big difference was that Sackey had a very good game. Another difference was that Kiser took more of a playmaker role. Plus, good shooting always makes everything look good (28 of 48 from three point range in the last two games).

Which I believe was a direct result of JFL not playing and players asserting their roles in the game, something I don't think they would have done with JFL in the game and the other players relying on Javon to push the offense. I think that was happening too much when Javon was in a slump and that pushed the team to those long scoring droughts.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bbtds on February 26, 2020, 07:56:34 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 26, 2020, 05:02:23 PMI only saw the end of the first half and the entire second half, but one big difference was that Sackey had a very good game. Another difference was that Kiser took more of a playmaker role. Plus, good shooting always makes everything look good (28 of 48 from three point range in the last two games).
Which I believe was a direct result of JFL not playing and players asserting their roles in the game, something I don't think they would have done with JFL in the game and the other players relying on Javon to push the offense. I think that was happening too much when Javon was in a slump and that pushed the team to those long scoring droughts.

Seems pretty weak to blame Javon for long scoring droughts though I get it. I've said many times that this team depends on Javon too much to bail them out. Hopefully this was the kind of gut check win that gives the players the confidence and ability to man up and accept a leadership role whenever Javon slumps. Donovan Krikke Fazekas even Mileek all have the ability to be that secondary scorer to step up and help Javon. So just do it! We'll all be better off for it! When Valpo becomes a multifaceted team with two or three players to gameplan for we'll all be much better off. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

That has been a problem for Valpo teams in the past. Depending on one star (Broekhoff Peters) and nobody stepping up to fill that role when needed. That shouldn't be a problem for us anymore as an MVC team. Most of these teams have good secondary options when their star is not firing on all cylinders or is out. We need to be that team too. This game gave me a lot of confidence to say that maybe we are on the verge of becoming that kind of team. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 26, 2020, 05:31:54 AMsituational awareness eludes Mileek at times.

I do believe that Mileek's work ethic is exceptional and he has great athletic ability and has improved his basketball skills by increasing his shooting accuracy. Just think what a truly all around player he would be if he could increase his basketball IQ and play smarter. That still may be coming or at least getting better and we may see the completion of the making of a truly all around great basketball player at Valpo.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2020, 04:48:21 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 26, 2020, 05:31:54 AMsituational awareness eludes Mileek at times.

I do believe that Mileek's work ethic is exceptional and he has great athletic ability and has improved his basketball skills by increasing his shooting accuracy. Just think what a truly all around player he would be if he could increase his basketball IQ and play smarter. That still may be coming or at least getting better and we may see the completion of the making of a truly all around great basketball player at Valpo.

Fair point, with the large strides made this year I think many of us are pleased to see him get minutes.  Truthfully with us being 4-1 in the last 5 games...I'm feeling generous!!! 😉😉😉

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2020, 04:48:21 PM

It would absolutely settle the "Does Lottich develop players?" argument. Heck I mean look at the progress McMillan has made between his freshman year and now. Kiser too for that matter. We can actually count on him to contribute productively on offense while he's out there. That is not something we could always say. It's both a testament to the work ethic of those young men and also to the coaching staff that they have come so far. It doesn't matter how good you are at player development if you are coaching players who don't want to be coached. I really think that was the problem last year. The guys just didn't want to be coached and didn't respond well enough to Lottich. This team does and you see the results. You see the improvement. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!