• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Womens Basketball 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 21, 2020, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

75-58 win for the split with Illinois state. We pretty much dominated the second half. I've yet to watch the first game loss but will try to watch and compare.

vu72

Great win!  Nobody wants to play Valpo!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 15, 2021, 06:27:52 PM
Great win!  Nobody wants to play Valpo!

Is that why we have no games scheduled until the 27'th?  :).  Some speculation by the announcers that we might try to slip in an OOC opponent? That could be interesting.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 15, 2021, 06:10:36 PM
75-58 win for the split with Illinois state. We pretty much dominated the second half. I've yet to watch the first game loss but will try to watch and compare.

In the first game Valpo was down by 10 at half due to some hot shooting by ISUr (when did those ISUr & ISUb designations stop?) and early foul trouble for White. She didn't score well (4 pts). In the third quarter Valpo came some back, down by 6 going into 4th quarter. Valpo tied it up in the 4th quarter on Weinman's, Frederick's & Morrison's scoring but pulled a bonehead play with the score tied when Van Kempen fouled the ISUr player with the ball with 4 seconds left. She had forgotten the situation. ISUr made the 2 FTs and took the lead. Then an ISUr player pulled the same bonehead play by fouling Shay with only 3 seconds left. Shay made both FTs, talk about pressure, and sent it to OT. But in OT ISUr dominated when Valpo missed two 3's and two other FGs. Valpo also missed two 3's in the last 12 seconds. ISUr OTOH made 2 two pointers & 2 threes and 3 FTs in OT. Valpo just didn't make enough shots in OT. Lost by 6.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 15, 2021, 06:36:21 PM

Quote from: vu72 on Today at 07:27:52 PM
QuoteGreat win!  Nobody wants to play Valpo!

Is that why we have no games scheduled until the 27'th? 

Is that now standard operating procedure for the MVC? You can decline games against "hot" teams?  ;)

Can the MBB team decline their game against Loyola?   ;)

valpotx

UNI and Illinois State are solid teams in Women's Basketball.  I believe that both are top 3 teams, so to go 2-2 at this point is a major win!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2021, 11:10:11 PMUNI and Illinois State are solid teams in Women's Basketball.  I believe that both are top 3 teams, so to go 2-2 at this point is a major win!

Compared to where we were just what? Two short years ago? Absolutely. I will take these results right now. I think better could very well be coming soon! I'm excited about Valpo Women's Basketball!

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on January 15, 2021, 09:08:29 PMIs that now standard operating procedure for the MVC? You can decline games against "hot" teams? 

Can the MBB team decline their game against Loyola?   

Maybe the Loyola gals are angry that Maya Dunson jumped ship landing at VU so channeled this towards moving the Rambler- VU game from the 27'th to the 19'th (Tuesday at 6:00) so they could get even with an old team mate? Wait! Are there some similarities hidden here somewhere with mens basketball ???

IndyValpo

More additions to the roster. The two incoming freshmen from Illinois have enrolled early and are second semester adds to the roster.

justducky

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 19, 2021, 03:32:51 PM
More additions to the roster. The two incoming freshmen from Illinois have enrolled early and are second semester adds to the roster.

Any source you can link or rumor monger willing to be named? ;)

vu84v2

Quote from: Valpofamfan on January 19, 2021, 04:13:47 PM
https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/sports/ct-nvs-spt-girls-basketballl-benet-valpo-molly-sheehan-st-012021-20210119-kg53c53255ggtkbhtz7y6kepte-story.html

Very interesting story. Good move on Valpo's part, as well as the two women. I can think of three men who recently played while 17 on other teams that I follow closely. They each played at least three years and are all now in the NBA, so I hope this works as well for these two women.

IndyValpo

Well they certainly did not show up tonight with an embarrassing 1-25 from 3 and only 36 points in total.

valpo64

very painful to watch...at least we made A three...talk about shooting problems!

justducky

#23 Net MSU in town for 1PM tip today and 3PM tip tomorrow. ESPN+  How good are we? Tune in to find out.

bbtds

The intelligence of the WBB team as compared to the MBB team is simply worlds apart.

valpotx

Wow, just wow.  Absolutely bone-headed foul by Dunson on that last second 3 to lose.  It is a desperation 3, where she was not at all set.  Why try to block it while it is still in someone's hand?  That always drives me nuts, and is the difference between a shot-blocker and someone that has no clue on how to block a shot.  You go where the ball is going to be released, not for their hands.   Just stupid...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusupporter

Mic check, 1, 2...is this thing on?

Tied a program record with 17 3-pointers tonight and beat a top-100 Bradley team.

valpotx

Good win today on hot second half shooting.  Still burns that we are not 4-4 in conference, but it is what it is.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 05, 2021, 12:19:15 AM
Good win today on hot second half shooting.  Still burns that we are not 4-4 in conference, but it is what it is.

I watched parts of the game while working and the women's team is excelling in an extremely difficult WBB conference. If we finish in top 6 we have an excellent chance to get to the title conference tourney championship game. Unfortunately we have shot poorly in a few games and those games have effected our conference record.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on February 05, 2021, 12:52:28 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 05, 2021, 12:19:15 AM

I watched parts of the game while working and the women's team is excelling in an extremely difficult WBB conference. If we finish in top 6 we have an excellent chance to get to the title conference tourney championship game. Unfortunately we have shot poorly in a few games and those games have effected our conference record.

Latest MVC Net numbers

MSU.                26
Drake               52
ISUr                 71
UNI                  72
Bradley            95
Valpo               114                      We are 3-4 against the teams above us.
Loyola             140                       The Ramblers are now 5-2 against Valley competition.
SIU                 189

If we can sweep Bradley then getting to 10-8 looks realistic. That might be a 5 seed. Hitting 11-7 would take some luck but our late season schedule is favorable.

valpopal

This weekend's series against Indiana State (2/13 & 2/14) has been postponed due to Covid-19 among ISU personnel.

valpotx

Really bad loss to Evansville today, which is terrible at Women's Basketball.  Unfortunate...
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2021, 07:55:34 PM
Really bad loss to Evansville today, which is terrible at Women's Basketball.  Unfortunate...
Basically no one came to play. No Grace White tonight.