• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: mp91 on August 11, 2021, 02:40:40 PMSimilarly, if you go to any mall within 15 miles, you hardly ever see Valpo gear, but you see Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Indiana state, and several other programs. This is also due to a lack of sports branding by the University. Let's hope Padilla and the athletic department are more forward thinking in the future.

I disagree. It may not be at malls but the big box stores in Valpo, Walmart, Meijer, Target, etc. have quite a bit of Valpo gear. I'm sure they will go max capacity when Beacon gear can be produced.

vok22

Trying to post a screenshot of a Facebook post from a person I am close to, but the file size is too large. I will post in quotes what they posted on Facebook, and it should shed some light on the process the university followed when designing the new logo.

"Alrighty folks. I just had a conversation with the mother of the woman who developed this logo for the university. I've known her for years and years.
The daughter is absolutely crestfallen and despondent over the reaction to the logo design. Its a first for her and she is quite upset.
I have to admit, that I have been a critic, not of the name choice, but of the actual design.
I have worked in the world of design for 45 years, so I felt qualified to make a judgement regarding the design. I still think it needs a lot of work, but it could be salvaged. I apologize for being as rough as I have, but she also needs to understand that this is not a highschool project, but a rebranding for a NATIONALLY renown university. Such images are not to be taken lightly.
I guess I resent the school administration for lack of oversight and for putting a young designer in such a position. It should have never happened. But this is coming from a school that has ELIMINATED the Brauer Art Museum and the Theater Department. I think there is a disconnect somewhere at the university when it comes to the importance of art and design .
This logo is too big a deal to let s first year designer "have at it". The entire process was poorly handled by the university. They are to blame, not for the name change, but the subsequent imagery.
I told the mother that I, as well as the other 5,000 people, that have had a negative reaction see this as coming from the university, not her daughter. This is not a personal attack on her integrity as a designer. No one knew. This was coming from a large faceless entity, Valparaiso University, as far as everyone knew and it was ASSUMED, by me, that they had a larger consultant working on branding.
Anyway. I have offered to help tweek if Its not too late."

This should shed some light on the process by which the logo was made. It was an in house competition within their marketing team. From what I understand no additional compensation was awarded to the winner of the contest, but I could be wrong. $0 spent on a new logo for the university. The face of the university and they decided to spend $0 on making it look professional and decent.

Just Sayin

This name can become very offensive and racist to many. A beacon of light implies a bright white light and is racist. Perhaps we should put up black lights around the ARC and paint the floor, bleachers, and walls with glow in the dark paint using every conceivable color.  Celebrate diversity and inclusion.  This would be more congruent with the entire reasoning for making the change in the first place.

JBC1824

Quote from: Just Sayin on August 11, 2021, 10:57:39 PM
This name can become very offensive and racist to many. A beacon of light implies a bright white light and is racist. Perhaps we should put up black lights around the ARC and paint the floor, bleachers, and walls with glow in the dark paint using every conceivable color.  Celebrate diversity and inclusion.  This would be more congruent with the entire reasoning for making the change in the first place.

I'm seriously concerned about this as well.

Please look at my previous comment on this issue if you'd like to know why.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

JBC1824

Quote from: vok22 on August 11, 2021, 09:47:13 PM

This logo is too big a deal to let s first year designer "have at it". The entire process was poorly handled by the university. They are to blame, not for the name change, but the subsequent imagery.

The face of the university and they decided to spend $0 on making it look professional and decent.

Upsetting.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on August 11, 2021, 08:12:31 AM
Quote from: valpotx on August 11, 2021, 03:40:56 AM
I agree with Chris Sparks' general sentiment.  For any athlete, when you find out that your mascot is the Beacons, your first reaction will be something akin to, 'what the f..?'  Watch out everyone, here come the mighty Beacons!  You better be careful, otherwise we will have to shine our light of character on you!  Fans chanting, 'shine our light on thee,' as we need that crucial basket.  Holy crap, I can just imagine opposing fans and the taunts that our teams will receive.  I would have taken Gold over Beacons, and I hated Gold.  At least Dune Hawks sounded somewhat cool, and somewhat mighty. 

Oh come on!  If this were true imagine how kids feel about the mascot being a nut!(Ohio State)  Or how about just a color?(The Crimson of Harvard)  It's a mascot!  You can pick all sorts of issues with LOTS of mascots unless you put them where they belong. Just a name, not intended to offend or amuse, or scare or intimidate, or anything else.  Everybody just relax.  Too much time on our hands. Sports start again in less than a month.  It can't come soon enough. Sorry for the rant tx!!

Those mascots have been around long enough, that they don't sound stupid at this time.  This is fresh, and dare I say it for pgmado's benefit, wokey ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Trying to post a screenshot of a Facebook post from a person I am close to, but the file size is too large. I will post in quotes what they posted on Facebook, and it should shed some light on the process the university followed when designing the new logo.

"Alrighty folks. I just had a conversation with the mother of the woman who developed this logo for the university. I've known her for years and years.
The daughter is absolutely crestfallen and despondent over the reaction to the logo design. Its a first for her and she is quite upset.
I have to admit, that I have been a critic, not of the name choice, but of the actual design.
I have worked in the world of design for 45 years, so I felt qualified to make a judgement regarding the design. I still think it needs a lot of work, but it could be salvaged. I apologize for being as rough as I have, but she also needs to understand that this is not a highschool project, but a rebranding for a NATIONALLY renown university. Such images are not to be taken lightly.
I guess I resent the school administration for lack of oversight and for putting a young designer in such a position. It should have never happened. But this is coming from a school that has ELIMINATED the Brauer Art Museum and the Theater Department. I think there is a disconnect somewhere at the university when it comes to the importance of art and design .
I told the mother that I, as well as the other 5,000 people, that have had a negative reaction see this as coming from the university, not her daughter. This is not a personal attack on her integrity as a designer. No one knew. This was coming from a large faceless entity, Valparaiso University, as far as everyone knew and it was ASSUMED, by me, that they had a larger consultant working on branding.
Anyway. I have offered to help tweek if Its not too late."

This should shed some light on the process by which the logo was made. It was an in house competition within their marketing team. From what I understand no additional compensation was awarded to the winner of the contest, but I could be wrong. $0 spent on a new logo for the university. The face of the university and they decided to spend $0 on making it look professional and decent.

Holy crap, seriously?  If this is true, I do feel bad for the young designer, as they didn't know what they were getting into with this project.  Why would you not hire a professional entity for such an important thing?  This is your branding in so many ways, mainly across national television.  Spend a few thousand $ to do it right, even if the name sucks...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on August 12, 2021, 02:10:11 AM

Holy crap, seriously?  If this is true, I do feel bad for the young designer, as they didn't know what they were getting into with this project.  Why would you not hire a professional entity for such an important thing?  This is your branding in so many ways, mainly across national television.  Spend a few thousand $ to do it right, even if the name sucks...
I know the individual who created the logo, and I have seen her past in-house works, which also have imagery similar to the lighthouse. I feel bad for her, but I also am upset with the university for putting her in this position, especially those responsible for reviewing and approving the logo for public release. The university already has a first-class, sophisticated beacon logo (the flame embedded in the "V") that is well liked and would proudly stand on the national stage alongside others. The fact they used an image of a fictitious lighthouse, no matter who drew it or how well, and didn't know it would be a source of ridicule, is telling. This situation shows the lack of seriousness with which the whole process has been treated, and has led to discord, division, and distrust among what should be the most loyal supporters of VU, as evidenced by the animosity among the hundreds of responses on the university Facebook page. PS: I understand from a committee member that the president was presented with four finalists and made the final choice himself.

mj

Quote from: valpopal on August 12, 2021, 08:10:36 AMThe university already has a first-class, sophisticated beacon logo (the flame embedded in the "V") that is well liked and would proudly stand on the national stage alongside others.

This is 100% correct. Using a lighthouse is cheesy and a little too obvious. That being said, President Padilla inherited a bad situation and made the best of it. Maybe we can phase out the lighthouse once we get the actual mascot. Unless it's Beaky the Beacon...
I believe that we will win.

valpo95

Quote from: mj on August 12, 2021, 08:17:14 AM
Quote from: valpopal on August 12, 2021, 08:10:36 AMThe university already has a first-class, sophisticated beacon logo (the flame embedded in the "V") that is well liked and would proudly stand on the national stage alongside others.

This is 100% correct. Using a lighthouse is cheesy and a little too obvious. That being said, President Padilla inherited a bad situation and made the best of it. Maybe we can phase out the lighthouse once we get the actual mascot. Unless it's Beaky the Beacon...

Agreed. The "V-Shield" logo is good, and that's the one that should be used. It's a great logo, and stands on its own.

I don't have a problem with background artwork using a lighthouse theme in places. Unfortunately the press releases and the twitter announcement of the new schedule https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1425524012592082952/photo/1 had the unfortunate artwork. How hard would it have been just to keep the "V-Shield" logo on the Men's Basketball schedule for example? It is an unforced error, and not necessary.

As for me, I've decided that I won't wear anything that has that lighthouse logo on it.

valpopal

A little lighthouse humor: "This is a lighthouse, mate! Your call!"

crusadermoe

Agreed on the above points, and yes I am sad on a personal level for the young designer.  As said on this page, the new torch inside the V looks great.  It gave many of us hope that some VU marketing and branding was in place.

Can't the torch logo on this page simply be left alone and built into the uniforms, and call the team that Beacons?  Stanford doesn't put a tree on their uniforms or feature the tree very often (gosh wonder why.)  Many just think at a glance they are the "Cardinals", but in fact they are the CARDINAL.  Deriving a mascot for  THE CARDINAL and deciding on a TREE mascot is a feat much tougher than turning our torch into a Beacon.  Fear the tree.   

The Stanford leaders were woke pioneers before woke was truly awoken.  I suspect they scratched their heads over "the cardinal" for awhile and just bailed by placating some environmentalist donors. Leland Stanford must be rolling over in his grave. O.P. may not be rolling over but I think he probably is scratching his head. I suspect we call out Stanford and force a match up of dueling inanimate mascots.  Hype it as a WWF match without any movement in the ring?  Lots of options.

Vinny

So the school's marketing arm put exactly zero dollars into a critical aspect of one of its most important projects in recent history and turned it into a contest where the winner is just getting his/her feet wet? That's too incompetent to be believable. Seriously. Someone tell me I'm completely wrong. 

usc4valpo

so it is pretty clear that Valpo did not invest much cash into creating a logo or not working with a high end company specializing in logo design. Instead they took the cost efficient route. Perhaps the mascot can be a light tower than runs around like the Stanford tree and our pep bands gets rebellious, that may be a plus...

Chitwood

Just wanted to chip in on a couple topics...

1. Not hiring a design firm is worrying and a poor decision. I'm actually not mad at the logo, could be better, but it's not terrible imo. But still, should have used a consulting firm regardless of outcome.

2. Not sure where bbts is shopping, but I've never seen Valpo merchandise at any Target or Walmart outside of Valpo. And, hardly ever see it at malls. I agree this is a problem. Northwest Indiana schools should be prominently marketed in Northwest Indiana. Point blank.

3. Soccer is definitely expensive. But, whoever said they weren't successful is simply incorrect. They were a very well-respected program and even had players drafted into the MLS. You can argue cost, but you cant argue the program wasn't successful.

Here's a few accomplishments for the record:
– 2008, soccer program ran 1000 miles in five months to provide money for lights at the football field
– 2008, takedown #25 Bradley
– 2008, 10 victories
– 2009, 9 victories
– 2011 regular-season title; Avery wins HL Coach of the Year
– 2014, defeat #7 Michigan State
– 2014, Valpo ranked #25 nationally
– 2015 and 2016, 7 victories and 10 victories

How many other programs at the school won league titles, had multiple victories over top 25 teams, and were ranked nationally during the same time period? Very few.

valpo64

This just showed what a farce this entire procedure was.  We got what we paid for...a poor nickname and poor logo design/artwork.

And YES, our new President could, and should have done something about the whole process.  He should have started from scratch and appointed a Committee of qualified people then worked with a qualified consulting firm for a final design, artwork, etc.

The chosen name and artwork/logo/or whatever is a disgrace to a Nationally recognized University.   

Again, we got what we paid for.

4throwfan

I'm not wowed by the name or logo, but I'm sure there are some who will like it.

My only comment is on the logo.  In the US, people read from left to right, so things pointing to the right typically equate to looking forward.  In the new logo, it seems that the beacon of light is looking backward.  One would think that a logo that is supposed to be a move forward would be forward looking.

mj

The two new logos that were released today are...bad. Just keep the V with the flame in the middle and be done with it.
I believe that we will win.

bbtds

Quote from: Chitwood on August 12, 2021, 11:34:20 AM2. Not sure where bbtds is shopping, but I've never seen Valpo merchandise at any Target or Walmart outside of Valpo. And, hardly ever see it at malls. I agree this is a problem. Northwest Indiana schools should be prominently marketed in Northwest Indiana. Point blank.

Quote from: bbtds on August 11, 2021, 09:40:31 PMthe big box stores in Valpo, Walmart, Meijer, Target, etc. have quite a bit of Valpo gear.

crusader05

Seems pretty clear from a couple people i've talked to who work at the university that the assumption is the Shield will remain the dominant logo for Valpo much as it has been and that is the one we will probably see the most. Sounds like these logos are "extra" and if any of them take off they take off but the Shield is going to be it.

Valpo Joe

Look out here comes the FREAKIN' BEACON  :o :o :o WTF

valpotx

I would have taken the Valpo Shield logo as our permanent logo for all branding purposes.  That actually looks cool.  I haven't seen a positive comment from the athlete connections that I have on Facebook, tied to the new mascot name.  As a matter of fact, all of the comments are negative, even from our Valpo Baseball alumni leadership lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I completely forgot that my city's youth soccer association practices next to a very large Lutheran church complex/school, which I believe owns some of the land tied to the practice/game fields.  I can look at the 'bygone era' that my former RA pgmado speaks of, as there is a massive 'Crusaders' on the side of their Athletics building, every Wednesday/Thursday for our 8U and 5U practices, and in a few weeks, for their games.  Memories, sweet and wonderful memories... ;)

https://www.colschool.org/student-life/athletics.cfm
https://www.privateschoolreview.com/crown-of-life-lutheran-school-profile
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

QuoteWorst College Mascots of All Time
The Stanford Tree – Stanford University
Wushock, the Wheat Stalk – Wichita State
Sammy the Slug – UC Santa Cruz
Fighting Okra – Delta State University
Fighting Pickle – University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Speedy the Geoduck – Evergreen State College
Keggy the Keg – Dartmouth College