• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

T-shirt for Valpo-Butler game

Started by StlVUFan, January 19, 2012, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

I'm seeing a couple of tweets about this that suggest the tweeter is deeply perturbed about the design.  Has anyone seen it yet and can they fill me in?

Curious in twitterland

hckjag

Crusader03

That won?!  You've got to be kidding me.  Completely unfunnny and the design looks like it was done by a child.

KL31NY

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 19, 2012, 01:30:05 PM
That won?!  You've got to be kidding me.  Completely unfunnny and the design looks like it was done by a child.

You should have seen ALL of the entries. There were plenty much worse than that. Still, I wouldn't wear it unless I got it for free. I'm sticking w/ a black "Beat Butler" t-shirt I snagged in Dayton.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vu72

Quote from: Crusader03 on January 19, 2012, 01:30:05 PM

Probably right.  An 18 year old!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

StlVUFan

OK, not all that funny, but hardly as offensive as I was led to believe.  I think Mr. PantherU was pulling my leg a bit.

Thanks ;)

valporun

I kinda wish the options were available online to students, faculty, and fans to vote on. I don't know who voted on this design, but it could have been better.

sectionee

I think there was a vote/competition at the beginning of the season.  But, yeah this design is pretty awful and it is a little disappointing that they are putting these out to the public.

Valpo925

The competition was held on Facebook. It turned into a popularity contest instead of a tshirt contest. People who had entered their designs just had their friends "like" the photo. That is how this shirt won. The person who entered it had many of their friends and family vote so he could win the free semester of textbook.

valporun

So it was the 'free textbooks' perk that screwed up this competition? That's always good to see happen.

StlVUFan

Now that I know "how the sausage was made", I can certainly agree that this is embarrassing.

valpotx

I am surprised that this will be moving forward.  When I was in school, the administration made such a fuss about us yelling 'you suck' during The Hey Song at the breaks like most colleges do, that I can't believe those are in the bookstore.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on January 20, 2012, 01:59:52 AM
I am surprised that this will be moving forward.  When I was in school, the administration made such a fuss about us yelling 'you suck' during The Hey Song at the breaks like most colleges do, that I can't believe those are in the bookstore.

A definite sign of a different administration, and apparently the oversight of what the Valparaizone does isn't as monitored as what the VU Cru ever did.

milanmiracle

Wow. That's...not good. I won't say it's awful, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. If it were free...nah!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

letsgovu

I think this contest was run by students and was the first of its kind?  There was a set of rules and a deadline for submissions and then they didn't make some of the entrees (their friends?) follow the rules.  better luck next time...

valpospartan

VU is the only place that I heard that - and yes I have been to other school's basketball games.

valporun

Quote from: valpospartan on January 20, 2012, 10:22:29 PM

VU is the only place that I heard that - and yes I have been to other school's basketball games.

I believe this was an Alan "I don't support athletics as the only things at Valparaiso" Harre and Bill Steinbrecher issue. They didn't really like that the students weren't just sitting there like those in chairbacks sitting quietly enjoying the game, or cheering to G-rated chants.

KL31NY

Personally, I've actually been to plenty of different sporting events that have gone there. I don't know where kids these days are learning "Fanology 101," but there seems to be more and more people interested in taunting opponents/referees than cheering for their own team.

In fact, while I wasn't close enough to hear for sure, at times on Sunday I thought our student section was saying something worse, wait for it........ the F word! GASP! Again, I don't know for sure, but it sounded either like suck or... well, you get it. Tough to tell w/out everyone in unison.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

sectionee

a lot of people seem pretty excited to get their hands on the shirt.  Personally, the message on the front isn't offensive to me, I just think it is a stupid design and I'm a little embarrassed that this is the best our students could come up with.  Love the original idea, just think the final product is a stinker.

valpospartan

Quote from: valporun on January 20, 2012, 10:41:37 PM

I believe this was an Alan "I don't support athletics as the only things at Valparaiso" Harre and Bill Steinbrecher issue. They didn't really like that the students weren't just sitting there like those in chairbacks sitting quietly enjoying the game, or cheering to G-rated chants.

I take strong offense to your snide remark about the "chairbacks".  I have been sitting there since the ARC was built, and go back as far as Hilltop Gym before that( and I didn't even go to VU) - but I digress.  There are many of us that cheer loudly and often.  Sure , we don't stand during the entire game like the students do, but we aren't students, either. 
What I do , though, is attend EVERY game, and not many students can say that.  Enough with the chairback dissing.

sectionee

Quote from: valpospartan on January 21, 2012, 06:19:01 PMSure , we don't stand during the entire game like the students do, but we aren't students, either.
What I do , though, is attend EVERY game, and not many students can say that.  Enough with the chairback dissing.
How are you at making balloon hats?

letsgovu

Quote from: valpospartan on January 20, 2012, 10:22:29 PMQuote from: valpotx on January 20, 2012, 01:59:52 AMI am surprised that this will be moving forward.  When I was in school, the administration made such a fuss about us yelling 'you suck' during The Hey Song at the breaks like most colleges do, that I can't believe those are in the bookstore.

I could hear over the tv broadcast, and pretty clearly, "you suck" during the hey song at the game today at uic.  Also several other times I heard "Valpo sucks" randomly during the game. 

Compared with other games I've been at, as well as outbursts from visiting fans at our home games, I think our student section is pretty tame....and I appreciate that.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: letsgovu on January 21, 2012, 10:02:51 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on January 20, 2012, 10:22:29 PMQuote from: valpotx on January 20, 2012, 01:59:52 AMI am surprised that this will be moving forward.  When I was in school, the administration made such a fuss about us yelling 'you suck' during The Hey Song at the breaks like most colleges do, that I can't believe those are in the bookstore.

I could hear over the tv broadcast, and pretty clearly, "you suck" during the hey song at the game today at uic.  Also several other times I heard "Valpo sucks" randomly during the game. 

Compared with other games I've been at, as well as outbursts from visiting fans at our home games, I think our student section is pretty tame....and I appreciate that.

at least in all the times we've played clearly superior teams, we don't chant "overrated" like the nd students were at the end of their game. when you're 11-8 and playing a team that's 20-0, you've got no room to chant something like that. is it any wonder why nd is hated by most non-catholics and those outside south bend? arrogance is not something to be appreciated.

bbtds

The strange thing in relating to your statement. ND probably has more fans outside their geographic area than any other college team in the country. Also there are multitudes of non-catholics that love ND. You don't get your own national TV contract for your football team without fans outside your geographic area. The bandwagon catholic and non-catholic fans alike are paying attention now to their beloved Fighting Irish basketball team all over the world.