• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Crusader: Jubril Adekoya

Started by valpopal, June 20, 2012, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

http://twitter.com/#!/jboogie_23

interesting that he tweets about pretty much everything in his life, including eating at hooters, or watching a game, etc., and only tweets about the biggest decision of his own life indirectly in a conversation with a friend...

Family is from Nigeria, where his mother lived down the street from Akeem Olajuwon.

A poster on Scout ranks him #2 in the power/combo forwards in Illinois:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=169&f=2616&t=8961764&p=2&sto=MS_121967514
and says "Adekoya could move into the top 150 or higher" though he is currently unranked.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

We can definitely offer someone immediate playing time after next season, a big advantage for us in recruiting!
"Don't mess with Texas"

swiftmutiny

Andrew Star Adekoya Commits To Valpo

Apparently Coach Powell was a big factor in his decision.

LaPorteAveApostle

Two more bullets in the chamber for that year.  If Davidson slides to the 2, that gives us a 1, 2, 3, & 4.

I say we keep looking for a 5 and save one for the inevitable BCS-conference transfer...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

humbleopinion

This is exciting, but I've learned to be cautious until pen is put to paper with top level recruits.
Beamin' Beacons

vufan75

Great news! I've been following Jubril's career at Andrew HS, as both my daughter's went to high school there and I only live a few miles from the school. It will be great to now follow his summer league games and final high school season, as he continues to develop and improve. Perhaps I'll get a chance to attend a couple high school games this season and if so, I'll gladly post what I see in Jubril's game. It will be great for him to follow the path from Andrew HS to Valpo, both academically and athletically for him.  :)

And, kudos to Coach Drew as well as Coach Powell as they work the recruiting trail hard and are having great success!! Now if we can just find a solid "big man" to round out that recruiting class.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: humbleopinion on June 20, 2012, 02:08:19 PMThis is exciting, but I've learned to be cautious until pen is put to paper with top level recruits.

Fair enough, especially given that he took his own parents by surprise with this...I also hope Coach Powell can teach him a couple things about things not worth tweeting or retweeting...

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 20, 2012, 02:44:09 PM
Fair enough, especially given that he took his own parents by surprise with this...I also hope Coach Powell can teach him a couple things about things not worth tweeting or retweeting...
There is a new guy on this upcoming team that needs a lesson in this as well. 

MattCarter

Quote from: sectionee on June 21, 2012, 10:26:11 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 20, 2012, 02:44:09 PMFair enough, especially given that he took his own parents by surprise with this...I also hope Coach Powell can teach him a couple things about things not worth tweeting or retweeting...
And a current one as well
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

StlVUFan

Quote from: MattCarter on June 23, 2012, 11:08:16 PM
Quote from: sectionee on June 21, 2012, 10:26:11 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 20, 2012, 02:44:09 PMFair enough, especially given that he took his own parents by surprise with this...I also hope Coach Powell can teach him a couple things about things not worth tweeting or retweeting...
And a current one as well

I'm this close to unfollowing one of my favorite Crusaders over his annoying Heat-Love, myself.

sectionee

StlVUFan

Quote from: sectionee on June 24, 2012, 09:20:16 AM
Lol, ain't that the truth!

Love him on the court, hate him in the living room ;)

MattCarter

Just unfollowed 2 of our guys and it wiped out 80% of the tweets on my feed...so take guess as to who they were lol.  I can't believe they have that much to say...ALL THE TIME.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

valporun

The tweets that can happen when the athlete is taking a single class and working out a lot all summer.

valpopal

Getting back to Adekoya, here are some hopeful quotes about Valpo's future at ESPN:

CHICAGO -- Andrew senior forward Jubril Adekoya committed to Valparaiso on Wednesday.

Adekoya, who is 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, chose the Crusaders over Akron, Loyola, Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois, among others.

Adekoya was an ESPNChicago.com all-area selection last season and averaged 15.8 points and 11.1 rebounds. He set a single-season school record with 301 rebounds and a single-game record with 21 rebounds versus Tinley Park.

"Honestly, I wasn't going to rush it," Adekoya said of his commitment. "My plan was to wait after July and do it before the high school season. I was just so comfortable with Valparaiso coach (Bryce) Drew and coach (Roger) Powell.

"To an extent it was frustrating (I wasn't getting higher looks.) I guess I'm undersized to these coaches who are making the decision. There's nothing I can do about it. I think I have more talent and a better work ethic than the bigger players ahead of me. At Valparaiso, we can beat all those coaches and teams who overlooked me."

Adekoya felt Valparaiso had a chance in the near future to be one of the nation's premier mid-major teams. The Crusaders won the Horizon League regular season title and advanced to the NIT last season.

"Coach Drew in his first year made a name for himself," said Adekoya, who plays for MeanStreets during the club season. "I think he can go only go up. After awhile we won't be a Cinderella. If we take care of business, we'll be a mid-major power and make a name for ourselves."

Adekoya is Valparaiso's fourth Class of 2013 recruit. He joins Marist's Lexus Williams from Illinois in the recruiting class.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/high-school/post/_/id/3006/andrews-adekoya-commits-to-valpo

valpotx

Have to love an athlete with a bone to pick with the big boys  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

Nothing like a motivated player. 

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on June 29, 2012, 08:36:46 AM
Getting back to Adekoya, here are some hopeful quotes about Valpo's future at ESPN:

CHICAGO -- Andrew senior forward Jubril Adekoya committed to Valparaiso on Wednesday.

Adekoya, who is 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, chose the Crusaders over Akron, Loyola, Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois, among others.

Adekoya was an ESPNChicago.com all-area selection last season and averaged 15.8 points and 11.1 rebounds. He set a single-season school record with 301 rebounds and a single-game record with 21 rebounds versus Tinley Park.

"Honestly, I wasn't going to rush it," Adekoya said of his commitment. "My plan was to wait after July and do it before the high school season. I was just so comfortable with Valparaiso coach (Bryce) Drew and coach (Roger) Powell.

"To an extent it was frustrating (I wasn't getting higher looks.) I guess I'm undersized to these coaches who are making the decision. There's nothing I can do about it. I think I have more talent and a better work ethic than the bigger players ahead of me. At Valparaiso, we can beat all those coaches and teams who overlooked me."

Adekoya felt Valparaiso had a chance in the near future to be one of the nation's premier mid-major teams. The Crusaders won the Horizon League regular season title and advanced to the NIT last season.

"Coach Drew in his first year made a name for himself," said Adekoya, who plays for MeanStreets during the club season. "I think he can go only go up. After awhile we won't be a Cinderella. If we take care of business, we'll be a mid-major power and make a name for ourselves."

Adekoya is Valparaiso's fourth Class of 2013 recruit. He joins Marist's Lexus Williams from Illinois in the recruiting class.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/high-school/post/_/id/3006/andrews-adekoya-commits-to-valpo

I've often thought that VU should be competitive with the schools mentioned.  Now if he could grow 2-3" on arrival to VU, that would be a great recruit that the bigs missed.

vu72

The best rebounder in NBA history was 6'7", not 7'2"!  He'll be a beast at Valpo!

sectionee

Jubril was in town today with another fella per twitter. Other guys name is Brodie Lex, again per twitter. Like how excited this young man is about coming and playing for Valpo!

valpopal

Quote from: sectionee on June 30, 2012, 07:49:26 PM
Jubril was in town today with another fella per twitter. Other guys name is Brodie Lex, again per twitter. Like how excited this young man is about coming and playing for Valpo!

"Brodie Lex" is Valpo commit "Lexus Wiiliams."