• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recogntion for Rowdy

Started by crusaderguy08, September 05, 2012, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

They play in so many different kinds of competitions.  But, it looks like the season may be roughly late September to mid-May.

agibson

They have it up on their English side now.  C- for google translate, apparently!

https://www.bjk.com.tr/en/haber/56223/high_scoring_australian_forward_for_besiktas.html

Here's their version:

High- scoring Australian forward for Beşiktaş

Eagles continue to boost their roster as they have signed Ryan Broekhoff (born 1990 in Victoria, Australia) to a 1-year contract, with the option of a year extension.
A 6-foot-7 (2.01 m) shooting guard/small forward and an exceptional outside shooter, Broekhoff  is former player of Valparaiso University in the United States, where he was named an All-American in 2012. He has representedAustraliain several international competitions.   

So, apparently it's a 1-year deal with some kind of an option for a second.  Googles translation, apparently not very good, of the original is below.

Quote from: agibson on August 05, 2013, 04:24:29 PMhttps://www.bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/56223/

Google translates it as
Quote (selected)

Men's Basketball Team, the Australian striker Ryan Broekhoff'u added staff.
    Men's Basketball Team continues to work before the transfer to the new season, the Australian striker Ryan Broekhoff two-year contract to be signed with a one year option.

Who is Ryan Broekhoff?

August 23, 1990 Australian-born player, who has played the most recent American College League, Valparaiso University. Australia's national team played in the striker position, playing young players and 2.01 meters tall.

So, Valpo gets a mention.  As does the Aussie national team, of course.  And I learn that it's a two-year contract with apparently some sort of option (player? club?) for a third.

And I lose a lot in translation.  (I can _pronounce_ a _little_ Turkish.  Beshiktash?  Or is it Beshiktas?  But I can understand basically none.)

valporun

Ryan's playing in Istanbul? This could be Giant!!<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AEZOoMqA3hg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I tried to embed the music video, but I'm not that tech savvy, apparently...

historyman

Quote from: valporun on August 07, 2013, 12:41:34 PMRyan's playing in Istanbul? This could be Giant!! I tried to embed the music video, but I'm not that tech savvy, apparently...

I believe this is the video you were looking for.  No need to embed the video. This board's format does it for you with just the web address for the youtube file.

They Might Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Didn't They Might Be Giants come to Valpo while we were in school, Run?
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" is a 1953 swing-style song, with lyrics by Jimmy Kennedy and music by Nat Simon. The lyrics comically refer to the official 1930 renaming of the city of Constantinople to Istanbul. It also references other renamed cities, specifically the renaming of New York City from New Amsterdam.

"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" was originally recorded by the Canadian group The Four Lads on August 12, 1953. This recording was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 40082. It first reached the Billboard magazine charts on October 24, 1953, and it peaked at #10. It was the group's first gold record.[3][4]

In honor of the 60th anniversary of the release of "Istanbul" on Monday, 8/12/13, here is the youtube video.

Included with this video is another song The Four Lads are famous for--Standing On the Corner (Watching All the Girls Go By)

FourLads-Istanbul/StandingOnTheCorner
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

koala

Hey I am still here lurking in the shadows and still like to read what you all have to say about everything.   We are very excited for Ryan to be playing in Turkey.   He is currently in camp for selection for the Boomers to play in the 2013 Oceania Championships against New Zealand, we will know if he makes the team in the next few days.   Thank you to all the fans that maintain an interest in him.   I am looking forward to Valpo's season starting and will keep an eye on how the team is going.   G'day to you all from 'Down Under'  :thumbsup:

valporun

I think they did, or they were there in 1998-99. I do remember hearing a lot of talk about They Might Be Giants having been at Valpo once, tx, but just not sure when it was they were there. Thanks for the info about embedding video here, and yes, there were a handful of Istanbul videos on YouTube, including the cartoon one that you posted, historyman.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Mommy Goat on August 07, 2013, 06:53:04 AMMy alleged alter ego and I share very different, but perhaps equally annoying, contempt for bad grammar, on the one hand, and linguistic ignorance, on the other. 

I like you already.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

zvillehaze

Quote from: koala on August 07, 2013, 05:33:35 PM
Hey I am still here lurking in the shadows and still like to read what you all have to say about everything.   We are very excited for Ryan to be playing in Turkey.   He is currently in camp for selection for the Boomers to play in the 2013 Oceania Championships against New Zealand, we will know if he makes the team in the next few days.   Thank you to all the fans that maintain an interest in him.   I am looking forward to Valpo's season starting and will keep an eye on how the team is going.   G'day to you all from 'Down Under'  :thumbsup:

Butler is in Australia and will be playing the Boomers on Saturday.  Does anyone know if Ryan will be playing in that game?

koala

If he makes the team then yes.

valpotx

Please make the team and rain down 3's on Butler for us  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on August 08, 2013, 01:42:26 AM
Please make the team and rain down 3's on Butler for us  :)

what tx said.   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: koala on August 07, 2013, 05:33:35 PMHey I am still here lurking in the shadows and still like to read what you all have to say about everything.   We are very excited for Ryan to be playing in Turkey.   He is currently in camp for selection for the Boomers to play in the 2013 Oceania Championships against New Zealand, we will know if he makes the team in the next few days.   Thank you to all the fans that maintain an interest in him.   I am looking forward to Valpo's season starting and will keep an eye on how the team is going.   G'day to you all from 'Down Under'  :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you're still with us, and thanks for the news!

I totally misunderstood a piece in the Herald Sun a few days ago
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-squad-without-jason-cadee-and-chris-goulding-8216best-in-years8217/story-fni2uang-1226691467978
there I guess the story really was just supposed to be the headline - that Cadee and Goulding weren't going to be at the camp.  I misinterpreted it to mean that the roster for the New Zealand games had been set.

I'm very happy to hear that Ryan's at camp, and still in the running!  Excellent opportunity just to train with them, and hopefully he'll become a regular on the Senior team.

Ryan gets good mention in some of the recent Basketball Australia news releases

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3020&tx_ttnews[backPid]=282&cHash=daf21d67ce
Teenagers Dante Exum and Ben Simmons along with World University Games stars Cameron Bairstow and Ryan Broekhoff, who led the Emerging Boomers to the silver medal in Russia, will be out to stake their claim for a spot in the final 12.
Ryan Broekhoff / 201cm / Guard-Forward / 23 August 1990 / Free agent  [in an August 2 story]

and
http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3026&tx_ttnews[backPid]=282&cHash=c4553caa08
The Emerging Boomers success at the World University Games has opened the door for Cameron Bairstow and Ryan Broekhoff to force their way into [Head Coach] Lemanis's calculations, while NBL frontcourt trio Luke Nevill, AJ Ogilvy and Anthony Petrie ensure a strong local contingent.

Lemanis will get a chance to test his troops prior to flying out to Auckland when US college powerhouse Butler University come to Canberra to take on the Boomers on Saturday.

Visiting our shores on a four-game tour of Australia, the Bulldogs have been one of the best performed programs in college basketball in recent years, reaching the NCAA Final Four in 2011 and 2012. The Butler team will feature former Australian Emus player Jackson Aldridge who is entering is junior year.

While the game will not be open to the general public, it will be attended by invited guests from the ACT Under 14, 16, 18 and 20 representative teams currently volunteering as part of the Opals and Boomers training camps and the FIBA Oceania Championships. The game will be open to media.

Should be interesting!

I notice Dellavedova is listed as a free agent, as well, though he apparently played for the Cavaliers in the NBA Summer League.
When I saw Ryan didn't make the roster for the New Zealand tune-up I thought he might be out

of contention for the Oceania

valpotx

Interesting that AJ Ogilvy is playing back home in Australia.  I was impressed by him a few years ago when we played Vanderbilt, and figured he would be in Europe somewhere.
"Don't mess with Texas"

koala

Rowdy made the team and today the Boomers beat Butler 96 to 57, Rowdy hit 12 points in 15 minutes of game time.    :thumbsup:

HC

Fantastic results all around right there!

vu72

What a rude awakening for BU!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

:( i was hoping for a hundred, which would have meant free Vegemite for all :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: koala on August 10, 2013, 04:07:49 AM
Rowdy made the team and today the Boomers beat Butler 96 to 57, Rowdy hit 12 points in 15 minutes of game time.    :thumbsup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

wh

I'm not surprised about Ryan's performance or the final result.  Ryan was HL MVP as a junior in Butler's last year.  Undoubtedly, he's better than anyone Butler has.  Pretty much a mismatch all the way around.     

vufan75

Quote from: koala on August 10, 2013, 04:07:49 AM

That is just great news for Ryan in making the team, as well as for the Aussies beating Butler handily. :) Makes me want to head over to the Butler fan message board and read the post mortem comments. Will it be the horrible refs, the venue not good enough, the time difference, or just fire the coach now. I would venture to guess several posters on that board will be wailing about the sky falling and life as we know it ending. The Butler guys who post here excluded of course from my broad brush comment. Sorry to vent, but the arrogance of some Butler fans I witnessed in 2012 when Valpo hosted the HL tournament just amazed me. 

Now for Ryan, does his good news mean he also is on the Aussie Olympic team, or is there another tryout for that team? Congratulations to Ryan and I wish you nothing but the best and continued success!!!!

zvillehaze

First of all, congrats to Ryan for making the team ... that's quite an accomplishment given the level of talent and number of professionals/Olympians on the Boomers roster.  Well done.

As for the game, the margin was disappointing, but the outcome certainly didn't come as a surprise.   :-[  With Roosevelt Jones injured, Butler certainly isn't as talented or experienced right now as they were last season.  Much like Valpo, they'll need some of the young guys to step in a contribute right away.  Overall, the experience (and early practices) should be a positive ... we'll see.   ::)

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 10, 2013, 02:46:47 PM
First of all, congrats to Ryan for making the team ... that's quite an accomplishment given the level of talent and number of professionals/Olympians on the Boomers roster.  Well done.

As for the game, the margin was disappointing, but the outcome certainly didn't come as a surprise.   :-[  With Roosevelt Jones injured, Butler certainly isn't as talented or experienced right now as they were last season.  Much like Valpo, they'll need some of the young guys to step in a contribute right away.  Overall, the experience (and early practices) should be a positive ... we'll see.   ::)

Was that Butler/Australia game televised back to Indy?

Advance Australia Fair!

vu72

Losing what's his name, who was an amazing shooter, will clearly put pressure on Dunham to fill the void.  I read somewhere where he was 0-11 in one of their games.  Feeling the obligation to hit the three?  Who knows.  He'll be fine, as he is a very good player, once the season gets underway.