• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brandon Wood on his days at Valpo

Started by valpopal, July 13, 2011, 08:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

"Playing at Valpo, I was under the radar a little bit," he said, "but my experience there was great. They put me in a position to take advantage of this opportunity that has been placed before me. I take my hat off to them. They get all the credit I can give up. They helped me get better and grow, both as a man and spiritually."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-king_wood_another_shot_michigan_state_071311

agibson

Two interesting bits:

Quotewhere he's studying advertising

and

QuoteWood is expected to start in the backcourt alongside Keith Appling.

crusaderdad

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 13, 2011, 09:21:21 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 13, 2011, 08:59:19 PM
"Playing at Valpo, I was under the radar a little bit," he said, "but my experience there was great. They put me in a position to take advantage of this opportunity that has been placed before me. I take my hat off to them. They get all the credit I can give up. They helped me get better and grow, both as a man and spiritually."
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-king_wood_another_shot_michigan_state_071311

Getting all that credit must make you guys very proud.  Brandon also joins a rare group of college athletes to play for four different schools, a feat also accomplished by JUCO teammate Lamar Lee.  I'll give Lamar the nod because he was able to accomplish that in only 4 years.  Certainly a discussion starter on your resume`. :-[

Brandon's resume will say:
B.A in Sports Marketing/Business from Valparaiso University
M.S in Advertising from Michigan State University
Professional basketball player

and

Great kid

yours?

vu72

Quote from: crusaderdad on July 14, 2011, 10:30:03 AM

Getting all that credit must make you guys very proud.  Brandon also joins a rare group of college athletes to play for four different schools, a feat also accomplished by JUCO teammate Lamar Lee.  I'll give Lamar the nod because he was able to accomplish that in only 4 years.  Certainly a discussion starter on your resume`. :-[

and

Great kid

yours?

:clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Getting all that credit must make you guys very proud.  Brandon also joins a rare group of college athletes to play for four different schools, a feat also accomplished by JUCO teammate Lamar Lee.  I'll give Lamar the nod because he was able to accomplish that in only 4 years.  Certainly a discussion starter on your resume`. :-[

and

Great kid

yours?

This is ridiculous that Brandon's Dad has been put in a position to have to come on here to defend his son.  Brandon played his heart out for 2 years here.  We won a lot of games we never would have without him.  He represented the university well as both a student and athlete.  He got his degree.  Now he's moved on.  Get over it and stop making him out to be a snake.

hoopfan22

It's ridiculous he comes here TO defend his son. Move on is right. MSU has a message board. Everyone isn't going to be happy with what transpired.

valpo04

Quote from: wh on July 14, 2011, 01:01:25 PM

and

Great kid

yours?

This is ridiculous that Brandon's Dad has been put in a position to have to come on here to defend his son.  Brandon played his heart out for 2 years here.  We won a lot of games we never would have without him.  He represented the university well as both a student and athlete.  He got his degree.  Now he's moved on.  Get over it and stop making him out to be a snake.

zvillehaze is a Butler fan.  I just wanted to make that clear.

zvillehaze

Getting all that credit must make you guys very proud.  Brandon also joins a rare group of college athletes to play for four different schools, a feat also accomplished by JUCO teammate Lamar Lee.  I'll give Lamar the nod because he was able to accomplish that in only 4 years.  Certainly a discussion starter on your resume`. :-[

and

Great kid

yours?

My comment was out of line and out of character.  Please accept my apologies.  You are justified in being proud of his accomplishments.  

I've removed my original comments ... if I could remove everyone quoting it, I would.

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 14, 2011, 01:43:53 PM

and

Great kid

yours?

My comment was out of line and out of character.  Please accept my apologies.  You are justified in being proud of his accomplishments. 

I've removed my original comments ... if I could remove everyone quoting it, I would.

Obviously I can't accept your apology but I will say that I also thought your comment was out of character as your posts typically are well thought out and in no way do I regard you as a "bomb thrower".  I appreciate a poster who can add meaningful comments while at the same time have allegiances elsewhere--and you clearly fit that description.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

lowposter

Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the juco route.  Many of us hold that distinction.  Glad to see the apology.

You know, it is really time to move on. 

BW is starting an exciting time in his life and chasing a couple of aspirations...as he should at that age.  VU has taken advantage of the Masters Degree rule and there doesnt seem to be anyone here lamenting about it.  The world can certainly use more well educated young men (and women), someone has to clean up the mess we are in.

Good luck to BW, his family, and the new players coming in.
Lowposter

rlh

We will see what we will see...If it works, great...if not, he hasn't really hurt anyone except himself.  I wish him the best....

valpopal

My favorite part of Brandon's comments about his Valpo experience had nothing to do with basketball: "They helped me get better and grow, both as a man and spiritually." I wish him luck in the upcoming season.

lowposter

That is a great comment.  When it is all said and done, that is far more important than dribbling, shooting, defending, passing, and rebounding.  Often, we lose site of that.

valpopal

Quote from: lowposter on July 14, 2011, 09:13:37 PM
That is a great comment.  When it is all said and done, that is far more important than dribbling, shooting, defending, passing, and rebounding.  Often, we lose site of that.

Here is a new interview with Nick Shelton that also contains a similar fine comment about his Valpo experience: "I am so grateful for the opportunities and abilities God has given me.  I really appreciate what the coaches at Valpo have done for me and for giving me the chance to continue to play basketball.  I am trying to learn as much as I can from this experience for later in life."

http://eliteprepslive.com/fanzone_5304.html

FWalum

and

Great kid

yours?
I applaud Brandon's accomplishments and will be watching with great interest how he progresses toward his goals.  As Brandon's father you should be very proud. And since you asked....

The daughter depicted in the avatar
BS from Wake Forest
Doctorate from The George Washington University
Washington National Children's' Hospital
Great Kid

My other daughter is working on her doctorate in Archaeology at Indiana and I have a son just starting college this fall... All great kids, my wife and I have been richly blessed.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

sectionee

Quote from: FWalum on July 15, 2011, 04:24:33 PM

and

Great kid

yours?
I applaud Brandon's accomplishments and will be watching with great interest how he progresses toward his goals.  As Brandon's father you should be very proud. And since you asked....

BS from Wake Forest
Great Kid

My other daughter is working on her doctorate in Archaeology at Indiana and I have a son just starting college this fall... All great kids, my wife and I have been richly blessed.

Congrats to you both on raising fine children.
My turn:
My oldest graduated from Preschool, scored a 99/100 on his Kindergarten entrance test, performed the duties of Paul bearer at the funeral for our cities oldest woman, and has a vast vocabulary.

My youngest can walk and eat at the same time, recently began saying the word "cracker" and knows sign language when he wants milk and when he is all done

vu72

Quote from: sectionee on July 15, 2011, 09:52:47 PM

and

Great kid

yours?
I applaud Brandon's accomplishments and will be watching with great interest how he progresses toward his goals.  As Brandon's father you should be very proud. And since you asked....

BS from Wake Forest
Great Kid

My turn:
My oldest graduated from Preschool, scored a 99/100 on his Kindergarten entrance test, performed the duties of Paul bearer at the funeral for our cities oldest woman, and has a vast vocabulary.

My youngest can walk and eat at the same time, recently began saying the word "cracker" and knows sign language when he wants milk and when he is all done

:thewave:

valpo04

Quote from: sectionee on July 15, 2011, 09:52:47 PM

and

Great kid

yours?

BS from Wake Forest
Great Kid

My turn:

Paul bearer or pallbearer?  ;)

DMvalpo18

hahaha! wow! about brandon, i actually will be looking forward to seeing him play at MSU. should be fun to see him against that competition.