• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponent Games and Scores

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: justducky on December 04, 2015, 01:31:55 PMIf you scroll down this list you will find that many major conference schools have yet to play a true road game and the overwhelming majority of the rest are stuck at one. Our 2-2 road record stands out like a sore thumb.
In comparison Butler, Indiana, Purdue, and ND each have only one true road OOC opponent for the season. Nuff said!

oklahomamick

I'm watching Wright St. vs. our old friend Coach Hunter and GA. State.  (I know its a lame Friday night).  It's just half time but WSU is losing to GA St.  I understand they won a game last year in the tournament.  Therefore I don't know if it would be a bad lost or not.  Regardless it doesn't help the HL.  I started looking at how the conference is doing in the occ.  It's not good. 

Top 3 wins as a conference 1. Valpo vs. Oregon St.  2. Valpo vs. Rhode Island  3.  Valpo vs. Iona (Is this because I have Crusader glasses on or is it reality?)

Worse 3 loses as a conference = By score...Detroit lost by 50 to Vandy.  But worse rpi or team loss would be 1. new comer NKU to Carolina A&M.  2. Green Bay lost to East Tennessee. 3. WSU lost to California Northridge or YSU lost to American.

I know its early and it will sort itself out.  But Based on Kenpom the Horizon ranked 17 and Summit at 15.  And we know that once Valpo starts playing NKU and YSU two times each, our rpi will go down. 

CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

Oregon looking like crap away at UNLV.  Down 14 at the half. If we had played them on a neutral court let alone at home....

talksalot

Friday 12/4 Results... our opponents go 1-3 on the night...all of the road teams won !

Iona (3-2) 101 Marist 66... RedFoxes only win is over Dartmouth, lost to #316 Holy Cross
American Univ 60 Youngstown State (4-5) 56... American's other win is over New Hampshire... they've been blown out in all other games
Georgia State 59 Wright State (3-5) 46... GAState other win is over winless IUPUI, Loss to Ole Miss and UAB
UNLV 80 Oregon (6-1) 69    Rebels are 7-1, only loss to UCLA, also beat IU. Ducks first road game of the year, they head to Honolulu for a Monday night game with Navy at Pearl Harbor.

This night was real RPI killer, let us hope Saturday is better!

oklahomamick

Quote from: nkvu on December 04, 2015, 11:07:55 PMOregon looking like crap away at UNLV.  Down 14 at the half. If we had played them on a neutral court let alone at home....

UNLV is good.  Only lost they have is a 2 point game to UCLA.
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on December 05, 2015, 07:34:22 AM
Friday 12/4 Results... our opponents go 1-3 on the night...all of the road teams won !

Iona (3-2) 101 Marist 66... RedFoxes only win is over Dartmouth, lost to #316 Holy Cross
American Univ 60 Youngstown State (4-5) 56... American's other win is over New Hampshire... they've been blown out in all other games
Georgia State 59 Wright State (3-5) 46... GAState other win is over winless IUPUI, Loss to Ole Miss and UAB
UNLV 80 Oregon (6-1) 69    Rebels are 7-1, only loss to UCLA, also beat IU. Ducks first road game of the year, they head to Honolulu for a Monday night game with Navy at Pearl Harbor.

This night was real RPI killer, let us hope Saturday is better!

Down to #3?  But Iona made it into the top 50.  Be great if they could end the season there (not much chance, their conference SoS will presumably hurt like ours).

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on December 05, 2015, 07:34:22 AMGAState other win is over winless IUPUI

IUPUI beat Indiana State 72-70 at the Hulman Center in Terre Haute, beat Kentucky State (Div II) 86-82 and beat Miami (OH) this afternoon 72-60 at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum (the State Fair Coliseum that was renovated).

talksalot

Thanks for that correction, bb...don't know what I was looking at...

Saturday 12/5
Butler 85 Indiana State (3-4) 71
Here's the Box:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400825767

DePaul 96 Chicago State (3-6) 72

Ball State (7-2) 66 New Orleans 52

Utah 96 IPFW (7-3) 79
Here's the Recap:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20151205_IPFW@UTAH

Detroit (3-3) 76 Northeastern 73
Here's the Box Score:   http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400817643

Kent State 66 Cleveland State (2-6) 62

Missouri State (2-5) 64 Oklahoma State 63 !! Nice Road Win for the Bears!  Here's the recap:  http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400816980

Oakland (4-3) 92 Robert Morris 74  Max Hooper scored 24 points with eight 3-pointers -- both career highs -- and Oakland beat ...

Oregon State (6-1) 66 Nevada 62

Providence 74 Rhode Island Rhode Island (5-3) 72
It all came down to the buzzer when sophomore F Ben Bentil scored the game-winning tip as Providence beat Rhode Island 74-72. Bentil led all scorers with 23 points and eight rebounds, marking his 6th straight 20-point game.

UCF 88 UIC (1-5) 58

Eastern Illinois 79 Northern Kentucky 73 (OT)

talksalot

Monday 12/7
Binghampton @ Oakland
Belmont @ Lipscomb... the rematch of the Battle of the Boulevard
Oregon vs Navy @ Pearl Harbor

Tuesday 12/8
Houston @ Rhode Island
Wright State @ Xavier
Iona @ Tulsa

talksalot

Sunday's result...
Toledo 71 Green Bay (4-4) 69... with a 3-pointer at the buzzer to win it at the Resch center...

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 04, 2015, 07:33:08 PM
I'm watching Wright St. vs. our old friend Coach Hunter and GA. State.  (I know its a lame Friday night).  It's just half time but WSU is losing to GA St.  I understand they won a game last year in the tournament.  Therefore I don't know if it would be a bad lost or not.  Regardless it doesn't help the HL.  I started looking at how the conference is doing in the occ.  It's not good.
Realtime RPI and NCAA have them at approximately 100 RPI (ESPN's RPI is 178)*, so it may or may not be a bad loss, I don't know.

I was at this game and got a feel for how intimidating the Nutter Center can be -- for fans, that is.  Parking is a bit of an adventure.  The parking for commoners is at the entrance to the area (there's a pond in between there and the Nutter Center).  If you go past it, you'll get the runaround from the attendant at the first stop and the attendant at the 2nd stop.  On the positive side, they are the first venue I've gone to with an electronic image of my ticket that gave me a printed copy of it (that was necessary in my case because my phone was about to die).

For anyone here who has been there, I'm wondering if the following is typical or just an oversight: during lineup presentations, the PA guy announced the Panther's starting 5 but did *not* announce the head coach or his assistants.  Is that a thing at WSU or was this just a mixup?

It was kind of hard for me to distinguish GSU from a typical Ron Hunter IUPUI squad.  Up tempo, a mix of what I assume some would call junk defenses, a bit undisciplined at times.  The only indicator that it was not was wearing 32 and I believe has a championship ring with his previous school, though Kevin Ware didn't look like he was a cut above the rest of the players Friday night.

I thought the pace of the first half was to Billy Donlon's liking.  The article in the DDN sort of backs that up, Donlon was only displeased with the offense.  The 2nd half?  Not sure what happened there, it all happened so fast.  The end of the game was like a mirror image of a number of IUPUI games I remember where they press all over the place and cut into a big lead.  This time it was Wright State doing that, but it wasn't enough.

Oh yeah, and Ron Hunter's still got game on the sidelines.

* What's with all the wildly different rankings all calling it "RPI"?  There's only one RPI formula, as far as I know.

talksalot

Monday 12/7  (opponents go 3-0 on the day)
Oakland (5-3) 83 Binghamton 72
Belmont (6-4) 93 Lipscomb 84
Oregon (7-1) 67  Navy 47

Tuesday 12/8 so we go 1-2 on the night...
Rhode Island (6-3) 67 Houston  57
Wright State @ Xavier 90 Wright State (3-6) 55 in a game that was not that close
Iona @ Tulsa 90 Iona (3-3) 81
and within 2 minutes of that going final, our SOS falls from 2 to 3; but the NolanRPI stays at #2 for the time being.

and interesting:  UTA 97 Bradley 61.  Braves fall to 1-9 on the year.  Their only win, 54-53 over Ball State in the season opener.

Wednesday 12/9
IPFW @ IU(Bloomington)
Toledo @ Detroit
Milwaukee @ Wisconsin

Thursday 12/10
IUPUI @ Missouri State

Friday 12/11
only 6 D-1 games in the country... ought to give VU-Chicago State a good pick on the officials !

Saturday 12/12
Ohio @ Cleveland State
Bowling Green @ Detroit
Pepperdine @ Ball State
Austin Peay @ IPFW
Youngstown State @ Purdue
UIC @ Illinois
Oregon @ Boise State
Oakland @ Toledo
Oregon State @ Kansas (ok, that would be a nice win)

talksalot

I see when I do a modify, it does not trigger a change-date on the search... so here's the results/schedule for this week...

Oregon (7-1) 67  Navy 47

Wright State @ Xavier 90 Wright State (3-6) 55 in a game that was not that close
and within 2 minutes of that going final, our SOS falls from 2 to 3; but the NolanRPI stays at #2 for the time being.

and interesting:  UTA 97 Bradley 61.  Braves fall to 1-9 on the year.  Their only win, 54-53 over Ball State in the season opener.

Wednesday 12/9
IPFW @ IU(Bloomington)
Toledo @ Detroit
Milwaukee @ Wisconsin

Thursday 12/10
IUPUI @ Missouri State

Friday 12/11
only 6 D-1 games in the country... ought to give VU-Chicago State a good pick on the officials !

Saturday 12/12
Ohio @ Cleveland State
Bowling Green @ Detroit
Pepperdine @ Ball State
Austin Peay @ IPFW
UIC @ Illinois
Oregon @ Boise State
Oakland @ Toledo

talksalot

I see when I do a modify, it does not trigger a change-date on the search... so here's the results/schedule for this week...

Oregon (7-1) 67  Navy 47

Wednesday 12/9... Opponents go 2-1 on the night... up to 6-3 on the week.

IU(Bloomington) 90 IPFW (7-4) 65   ... this game & playing #204 ISU caused the RPI SOS to fall from 3 to 8

Detroit (4-3) 75 Toledo 72 Nice win for the titans...

Milwaukee (7-3) 68 Wisconsin 67 !! Thank you Panthers !!

Thursday 12/10
IUPUI @ Missouri State

Friday 12/11

Saturday 12/12
Ohio @ Cleveland State
Bowling Green @ Detroit
Pepperdine @ Ball State
Austin Peay @ IPFW
UIC @ Illinois
Oregon @ Boise State
Oakland @ Toledo

Valpower

For what it's worth, talksalot, it does at least show logged-in users that there is new (unread) content.  That said, without an occasional bump, it could sink into page 2.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on December 09, 2015, 08:24:15 PMDetroit (4-3) 75 Toledo 72 Nice win for the titans...

Detroit pulled it out. Toledo had a wide open look at a 3 pointer in the last seconds but couldn't get it to go down. Detroit had a steal and a home run pass that yielded 2 points each i the last 70 seconds that really won the game for the Titans. 

Coach McCallum mentioned in the post game interview that they wanted to win the game for Titan Reggie and actually called him Titan Reggie. The break before the game started the Titan team broke the huddle with the chant "Titan Reggie." My prayers also go out for him.

motowntitan

Quote from: bbtds on December 09, 2015, 09:07:37 PM
Quote from: talksalot on December 09, 2015, 08:24:15 PMDetroit (4-3) 75 Toledo 72 Nice win for the titans...

Detroit pulled it out. Toledo had a wide open look at a 3 pointer in the last seconds but couldn't get it to go down. Detroit had a steal and a home run pass that yielded 2 points each i the last 70 seconds that really won the game for the Titans. 

Coach McCallum mentioned in the post game interview that they wanted to win the game for Titan Reggie and actually called him Titan Reggie. The break before the game started the Titan team broke the huddle with the chant "Titan Reggie." My prayers also go out for him.

The same freshman that beat Green Bay missed the shot to tie for OT.

BTW
Titan Reggie passed away this morning. :(

http://www.wxyz.com/sports/reggie-hall-longtime-wxyz-sports-producer-dies-at-58

justducky

UWM up on Wisconsin. Hang on tight!

a3uge

Great win for UWM! Hopefully some of their students wear their university's gear instead of their Wisconsin Badgers hoodies tomorrow.

ValpoFan

talksalot

~~Titan Reggie passed away this morning. :(

Blessings and prayers to the family...

wh

Quote from: ValpoFan on December 09, 2015, 10:15:39 PM
UWM 68
UW  67  ;D

Wow, congrats to Milw and our friends on the Milw board. Big win for them and the league.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 09, 2015, 09:07:37 PM

So touching!

justducky

Oakland has 4 more important games prior to HL play. They will play at Toledo (142 RPI), Washington (59 RPI), Michigan St (14 RPI), and Virginia (35 RPI). They are soon to be at full strength (maybe this weekend?) with Martez Walker and getting a split or better from these 4 should be their goal.

Can Kampe control this bunch from court side while Felder coordinates action on the court? We should have a greater understanding of Oakland's true 15-16 potential from their performance in the next 3 weeks.

Side Issue:
      I never pay much attention to RealTime RPI and here is an example of why. Realtime has as their scouting predictions a Toledo win by 18, Washington by 21, Michigan St by 13 and Virginia by 26. If RealTime wanted to take bets on those margins I think I could have them in bankruptcy by January.  :whiteflag:

agibson

Quote from: justducky on December 10, 2015, 02:19:49 PMThey will play at Toledo (142 RPI), Washington (59 RPI), Michigan St (14 RPI), and Virginia (35 RPI). They are soon to be at full strength (maybe this weekend?) with Martez Walker and getting a split or better from these 4 should be their goal.

Getting two of those would be a coup, for sure.