• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 3: Valpo @ URI 11/17 9:00AM

Started by VULB#62, November 16, 2015, 04:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 11:13:13 AM
Does this count as a win against a "big team"? Or maybe we have to beat Northwestern in closed door scrimmage first.

Oregon.

Maybe URI -with- Matthews.

I'm delighted by the win, not easy by any means. But it'll take more than this to get national attention except as "trendy upset pick in March".

classof2014

Big win, against a good team, on the road, on ESPN2, and at an odd time no less.

Both offenses looked slow and tired to start the game, reasonably so with the morning start time which was more like 9AM for the Crusaders. Nice to have these two "practice games" before the Oregon trip. This was a game Valpo usually loses in past years. RI hung in there and made it interesting in the end, if a few more shots would've fallen for Valpo the margin would've been closer to 10. Anyways, Valpo was the better team, and a win is a win, and a nice win against a team that may very well be back in the tourney come March.

3-0; not a bad way to start the season, against 3 quality teams no less.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on November 17, 2015, 12:47:30 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 11:13:13 AM
Does this count as a win against a "big team"? Or maybe we have to beat Northwestern in closed door scrimmage first.

Oregon.

Maybe URI -with- Matthews.

I'm delighted by the win, not easy by any means. But it'll take more than this to get national attention except as "trendy upset pick in March".

I realize URI != Oregon... this was more a factitious comment that pits games against against 3-15 B1G10/SEC teams as the gold standard of wins simply due to their conference affiliation and ignores games vs quality tournament-level teams like Murray State, Iona, Rhode Island, etc. North Florida beat Illinois this year and nobody cared. Valpo just beat Iona and Rhode Island? Maybe not the victory heard round the world, but definitely saw a bunch of tweets from national pundits and we've been on the ESPN highlight rotation for the past few hours. I just wish more people cared more about beating quality teams than beating teams like Nebraska and Missouri.

valporun

Most national pundits didn't go crazy over Illinois losing because Jon Groce hasn't been good for Illinois basketball. I expect he'll be fired after the season ends, because the new AD will bring in new head coaches for both revenue sports, unless the state of Illinois still doesn't have money to pay for a new coach for the revenue sports.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 01:16:56 PMMaybe not the victory heard round the world, but definitely saw a bunch of tweets from national pundits and we've been on the ESPN highlight rotation for the past few hours. I just wish more people cared more about beating quality teams than beating teams like Nebraska and Missouri.

I hear you. Glad to hear that we're making the highlights - being on "real" TV does make a difference for media attention.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 11:13:13 AMDoes this count as a win against a "big team"?

Just to make it clear that I like the win (and against Iona!), I wonder: when's the last time we had a non-conference win this big?

Murray State, in retrospect? Missouri State?

When's the last time we had two of similar caliber, or better, in one season?

It's looking like a pretty interesting season!

valpotx

Quote from: valpo84 on November 17, 2015, 12:09:53 PM
Great win today. Road win. A-10 opponent. Internationally televised.

We played a home-home series with Rhode Island in 2000-01 and 2001-02 seasons. We won both -- at URI Dec 9, 2000 69-62 and in 2001 at the ARC winning 68-43. Those URI clubs were not very good. It was post-Harrick era. Lamar Odom was there in 98-99 and then he and Harrick left.  That 2000-01 team was one of the best that didn't go to Tourney -- beat Ohio State in Alaska and lost to IU by 3.  Lost to SoUtah in Mid-Con Finals. They deserved an NCAA or NIT bid. Think that was the year Milo got mono just before start of Mid-Con Tourney.

Not only was Milo out, but Kikas Gomes was out due to a leg injury as well. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

I cannot wait until Valpo takes on Duckzilla. That will be the big evaluation.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on November 17, 2015, 02:02:12 PM
Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 11:13:13 AMDoes this count as a win against a "big team"?

Just to make it clear that I like the win (and against Iona!), I wonder: when's the last time we had a non-conference win this big?

Murray State, in retrospect? Missouri State?

When's the last time of similar caliber, or better, in one season?

It's looking like a pretty interesting season!

Sometimes games don't look that big and end up awesome or a good what-could-have-been (Murray State 2014, Butler 2012, Mercer 2013, SLU 2013)... and sometimes game that look huge end up not nearly as good, or rather insignificant (Missouri State 2010, New Mexico 2014). Hopefully URI wins the rest of their games  ;D.

But from an RPI/rankings perspective, in terms of OOC wins, and specifically road wins, here are our OOC top 100 rpi wins since 2003 (can't find data much further):

11/17/15 A URI (??-?) RPI: ?? - crosses fingers
11/29/14 N Murray St. (25-5) RPI: 63
02/23/12 H EKU (22-9) RPI: 68
11/18/11 H Akron (21-11) RPI: 55
02/19/11 H Missouri State (25-8) RPI: 43
11/26/10 N Northern Colorado (19-10) RPI: 99
02/21/09 H Akron (22-12) RPI: 99
02/23/08 H Miami OH (17-16) RPI: 80 - lol @ the MAC rpi gaming
11/24/07 A Austin Peay (24-11) RPI: 81
12/11/04 A UW-Milwaukee (24-6) RPI: 20

So I think the win vs the Sweet 16 team on the road definitely takes the cake.

Valpower

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 17, 2015, 02:28:31 PM
Whoa dude, are you trying to give IU Kokomo bulletin-board material?

a3uge

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5361

URI's board: interesting read - was expecting a lot more self-loathing posts about how they couldn't beat a Horizon team at home. Instead, there's a lot of posts that praise Valpo and gave URI props for keeping it close in the first game without EC Matthews. Really hope URI makes the field now.

SanityLost17

Need to cut back on the turnovers.  Had too many against both Iona (16 - lazy defense) and Rhode Island (17 - aggressive defense).  With our experience, I would like to see that number at 10 or less every game, even against tough defenses.  Honestly, we could have gotten close to that today just by getting rid of the unforced errors. 

Otherwise, good road win.  Winning on the road is always hard, even when the home team is without their star player.       

78crusader

Apparently attendance for the game was close to 4900, with only a couple hundred URI students at the game.  Those on the URI fan board were very critical of the lack of support for a game against a quality opponent, televised on ESPN2. 

This makes the attendance for our Sunday afternoon game against Iona -- around 2700 I think? -- not so bad in comparison. 

Paul

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 04:22:01 PM

URI's board: interesting read - was expecting a lot more self-loathing posts about how they couldn't beat a Horizon team at home. Instead, there's a lot of posts that praise Valpo and gave URI props for keeping it close in the first game without EC Matthews. Really hope URI makes the field now.

No filters on the posters that's for sure -- lost count of F-Bombs after the first page  ::).  But we got our respect and they noticed that we weren't playing well either but still controlled the game with our D even though we had an 8 minute scoring drought.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 04:22:01 PM

I thought the same thing. Here's a nice comment about Vashil:

--Fernandez is a beast. Dominated the paint for Valpo. Hassan held his own, but took too many outside shots as a result of having a tough time against Fernandez down low.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: a3uge on November 17, 2015, 04:22:01 PMhttp://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5361 URI's board: interesting read - was expecting a lot more self-loathing posts about how they couldn't beat a Horizon team at home. Instead, there's a lot of posts that praise Valpo and gave URI props for keeping it close in the first game without EC Matthews. Really hope URI makes the field now.

One of those odd games where both fan bases are reasonably satisfied with the outcome. Some griping on their board over FTs, etc. but usually fan reactions are a zero sum game.

The Iona game, for example. Our pleasure with the result was equally matched by the Iona fans' frustration.
#CrusadersForever

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on November 17, 2015, 02:52:47 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 17, 2015, 02:28:31 PM
Whoa dude, are you trying to give IU Kokomo bulletin-board material?

Do you really think it matters if IU-Kokomo has bulletin-board material?

They are 0-3 and have lost to Judson College, IU-Northwest (Gary) and Calumet College of St Joseph!

agibson

Valpower, I think you should have left in the ;)

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on November 16, 2015, 09:23:02 PM
Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2015, 08:46:32 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 16, 2015, 08:16:07 AM
American was picked fourth in the Patriot League by Lindy's.

I believe that should be University of the U.S.

American is "problematic." This is because "North Americans often use 'American' which usually, depending on the context, fails to recognize South America."

Perhaps.  Tell it to their 10,000 students!

http://www.american.edu/

I guess nobody read wh's post with the story on the UNH president except VULB#62.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/gabrielle-cintorino/university-president-offended-bias-free-language-guide-deems

It also determines that use of the term "American" is "problematic", and notes that the preferred term is "'U.S. citizen or resident of the U.S.'" This is because "North Americans often use 'American' which usually, depending on the context, fails to recognize South America."

Another stated reason for the abolishment of the term "American" is that it "assumes the U.S. is the only country inside these continents," according to the guide.

VULB#62

Is it my imagination or judging from the tv coverage and stills, does Alec look like he has dropped his body fat %age? Looking at his face it is sculpted.  Last year, his features were more rounded.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 17, 2015, 09:20:57 PM
Is it my imagination or judging from the tv coverage and stills, does Alec look like he has dropped his body fat %age? Looking at his face it is sculpted.  Last year, his features were more rounded.
Well he does have facial hair now...

Donjon VU07

Quote from: bbtds on November 17, 2015, 07:52:32 PMI guess nobody read wh's post with the story on the UNH president except VULB#62. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/gabrielle-cintorino/university-president-offended-bias-free-language-guide-deems It also determines that use of the term "American" is "problematic", and notes that the preferred term is "'U.S. citizen or resident of the U.S.'" This is because "North Americans often use 'American' which usually, depending on the context, fails to recognize South America." Another stated reason for the abolishment of the term "American" is that it "assumes the U.S. is the only country inside these continents," according to the guide.

I understand this argument, in principle, but it's "un-United-Statesian" to ban such usage of an expression as old as the "United-Statesian Way" itself.

I'll counter an article with an article.  I'm conservative, so I dug up a piece from a liberal writer at liberal Slate.com, which I agree with 100%.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/a_fine_whine/2013/08/america_the_continent_vs_america_the_country.html

bbtds

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on November 18, 2015, 09:27:46 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 17, 2015, 07:52:32 PMI guess nobody read wh's post with the story on the UNH president except VULB#62. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/gabrielle-cintorino/university-president-offended-bias-free-language-guide-deems It also determines that use of the term "American" is "problematic", and notes that the preferred term is "'U.S. citizen or resident of the U.S.'" This is because "North Americans often use 'American' which usually, depending on the context, fails to recognize South America." Another stated reason for the abolishment of the term "American" is that it "assumes the U.S. is the only country inside these continents," according to the guide.

I understand this argument, in principle, but it's "un-United-Statesian" to ban such usage of an expression as old as the "United-Statesian Way" itself.

I'll counter an article with an article.  I'm conservative, so I dug up a piece from a liberal writer at liberal Slate.com, which I agree with 100%.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/a_fine_whine/2013/08/america_the_continent_vs_america_the_country.html

And to be truthful it is Vespucci's first name, Amerigo that the name America comes from. Could you imagine if we were the United States of Vespuccia and called Vespuccians? It's also similar to saying that Europeans only refers to the people of the UK.

Donjon VU07

Quote from: bbtds on November 18, 2015, 06:35:39 PM
Quote from: Donjon VU07 on November 18, 2015, 09:27:46 AM

And to be truthful it is Vespucci's first name, Amerigo that the name America comes from. Could you imagine if we were the United States of Vespuccia and called Vespuccians? It's also similar to saying that Europeans only refers to the people of the UK.

Interesting.  I would add that "Asian" as we tend to use it in Amer-- . . . the U.S. . . . rarely includes India or Russia, and never includes the Middle East.