• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/21/16 Detroit at the ARC - Senior Day

Started by talksalot, February 19, 2016, 10:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: 78crusader on February 21, 2016, 08:10:05 PM

We are now ranked #1 in the College Court Report Mid-Major rankings. Is it possible--possible--that our at-large hopes still have a pulse?

Paul

No, not really.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Aside from some mediocre FT shooting, Paris Bass played a heck of a game today.  He's the complete package for sure - good outside shot, great ball handling skills, quick off the dribble, and a great finisher around the rim. He also worked hard on the defensive end, which surprised me a little. Quite a talent.

covufan

We are now ranked #1 in the College Court Report Mid-Major rankings. Is it possible--possible--that our at-large hopes still have a pulse?

Paul

Right now - maybe. For Valpo to be in the at-large grouping, we have to lose another game. Once we lose one more there is no at-large hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on February 22, 2016, 07:28:36 AM

Paul

Right now - maybe. For Valpo to be in the at-large grouping, we have to lose another game. Once we lose one more there is no at-large hope.

Certainly not "no hope" - Valpo's RPI projects to 39 if they win @UWM, @UWGB, then beat UWGB on a neutral court, and lose to Oakland on a neutral court. There has been many cases where teams under 40 RPI missed the field, but Valpo has a good case; simply removing the two games against UIC and Valpo's RPI in the above scenario drops to 29. I believe only 1 team has ever missed the field with an RPI under 30. Valpo won both games rather handily, but are still punished immensely for just showing up. If UIC wasn't so awful, Valpo's RPI would be too juicy to pass up, combined with their good rankings in non-rpi ratings, their 50% winning percentage vs the top 50 RPI, and the top 100 RPI.

But knowing the selection committee, they could give two shits about keeping things fair. It's all about giving the power conference schools their bids, and rewarding their 1 road game ooc schedules.

oklahomamick

Or if we played anyone besides Chicago St. We have to play UIC.  Chicago St. was by choice. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpocleveland

Paul

Hit the nail on the head!

valpocleveland

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 22, 2016, 09:52:14 AM
Or if we played any besides Chicago St. We have to play UIC.  Chicago St. was by choice.

I've debated this myself. I think that this game added little value this year. Hurt our RPI and probably didn't help the team grow but no real way to measure this.

However, I think it would be hypocritical for Valpo not to schedule Chicago St. We as fans want Valpo to play Northwestern, DePaul, Notre Dame, other local D1 teams, etc. If we turndown Chicago St. we are doing the same thing these bigger schools are doing to us. Although it hurts our RPI I think it is the right thing to do.

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 22, 2016, 09:52:14 AM
Or if we played anyone besides Chicago St. We have to play UIC.  Chicago St. was by choice.
True, but we play UIC twice, and Chicago State was on the road. Nonetheless, the RPI difference in the above scenario was 8. We'd finish with a 31 RPI instead of 39.

There's also a bit of a false choice between a decent RPI team and a poor one. It's more of a choice between a non-D1 school, not playing at all, and tallying another win. I'm not a fan of playing Chicago St, but it was on short notice, and probably free to schedule.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2016, 09:30:08 AM

Paul

Certainly not "no hope" - Valpo's RPI projects to 39 if they win @UWM, @UWGB, then beat UWGB on a neutral court, and lose to Oakland on a neutral court. There has been many cases where teams under 40 RPI missed the field, but Valpo has a good case; simply removing the two games against UIC and Valpo's RPI in the above scenario drops to 29. I believe only 1 team has ever missed the field with an RPI under 30. Valpo won both games rather handily, but are still punished immensely for just showing up. If UIC wasn't so awful, Valpo's RPI would be too juicy to pass up, combined with their good rankings in non-rpi ratings, their 50% winning percentage vs the top 50 RPI, and the top 100 RPI.

But knowing the selection committee, they could give two shits about keeping things fair. It's all about giving the power conference schools their bids, and rewarding their 1 road game ooc schedules.

Agree. Don't set yourself up for severe disappointment. If Valpo doesn't win the HL tournament in Joe Louis Arena they will be done as far as the NCAA tournament is concerned.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on February 22, 2016, 12:07:07 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2016, 09:30:08 AM

Paul

Agree. Don't set yourself up for severe disappointment. If Valpo doesn't win the HL tournament in Joe Louis Arena they will be done as far as the NCAA tournament is concerned.

There's a good chance, yes, but at this point, it's way too early to say that. It really depends on how the rest of the bubble teams and the auto-bids.

Historically, it would NOT be out of the question if Valpo got an at-large, especially this year with two good teams being ineligible and a rather week field. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? Not at all.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2016, 12:19:38 PMThere's a good chance, yes, but at this point, it's way too early to say that. It really depends on how the rest of the bubble teams and the auto-bids.

Historically, it would NOT be out of the question if Valpo got an at-large, especially this year with two good teams being ineligible and a rather week field. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? Not at all.
Agree that we could still be in the thick of the conversation but expecting lightning to strike us is a useless pursuit.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on February 22, 2016, 12:29:26 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2016, 12:19:38 PMThere's a good chance, yes, but at this point, it's way too early to say that. It really depends on how the rest of the bubble teams and the auto-bids.

Agree that we could still be in the thick of the conversation but expecting lightning to strike us is a useless pursuit.

There's people on here that discuss Valpo going to the A10 or teams leaving the Big East to form a new conference with Valpo. Getting an at-large this year is, at least, somewhat possible.

78crusader

Just thought I'd point out that today Mid Major Madness ranked us #1 also, ahead of Wichita St, St. Mary's, and Dayton, all of whom are in line to get an at-large bid.

Paul