• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #5-Grand Canyon @ Paradise Jam in USVI Noon CST 11/22/19- "Flohoops"

Started by talksalot, November 17, 2019, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

Not sure about you guys, but Ickow > $30 video feed...every day and twice on Sunday.

covufan

This team is fun!  When the other team has a run, this team doesn't get down on itself.  They all trust each other to hit that important shot.  Kiser with two important three's!

Great win!

SanityLost17

Not going to win very many games shooting 39% from the floor, but a win is a win. 

bbtds

That was a very impressive win over a tough, inspiring, sometimes foggy Grand Canyon. We didn't luck into anything! Some would say that was a wide gap in our play that we just got over. We didn't leave anything hanging on the rim. We had an opening for a win and we saw it and followed through. We played like a river and over time forged our way through a great chasm of disappointment and succeeded.

No quid pro quo.

wh

Closed the game out with 6-6 clutch FT's by Daniel and Nick. 

ice water in one's veins
US, informal
: the ability to remain very calm and controlled in a situation in which other people would become upset or afraid

4throwfan

I couldn't listen or watch the game.  Looking at box score, Mileek fouled out?  In 11 minutes?  Is that right?

govalpogo

Quote from: Smj on November 22, 2019, 01:08:55 PM
I'd pay for flo hoops if I could be sure that I can watch this game tonight (replay) with my wife....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You are able to watch the replay from Flohoops.

govalpogo

Hey, love to come out on top in this one!  A wild game, defense and FTs down the stretch were big.  Pretty good for playing Clay and Kiser at the 5 for a good portion of the game.  Vintage McMillan unfortunately.  I thought Emil's minutes were fine.

A gem only seen on video was the section of young Valpo fans under the camera making fun of the GCU students' acrobatics that go along with their standard cheer by mimicking with the motions to the YMCA dance.  Brilliant!

VALPO LI

Quote from: wh on November 22, 2019, 02:08:45 PM

ice water in one's veins
US, informal
: the ability to remain very calm and controlled in a situation in which other people would become upset or afraid

-They made up for their misses in the Saint Louis game.  Well done gentlemen!
Shine on Vu

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 22, 2019, 03:04:33 PM
Quote from: wh on November 22, 2019, 02:08:45 PM

ice water in one's veins
US, informal

-They made up for their misses in the Saint Louis game.  Well done gentlemen!

It was a wide gaping hole in their play they finally got over.  Sorry, can't help it.

VUBBFan

SanityLost17

Lets face it, several fans on this board would complain about a 26 to 6 free throw disparity as well.  Sometimes that means something and sometimes it doesn't  Anybody see the feed to see if there is anything to it?  Hard to tell on the radio.  I do know we have some good shot fakers like Robinson who are really good at drawing contact.

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 22, 2019, 04:49:25 PM
Lets face it, several fans on this board would complain about a 26 to 6 free throw disparity as well.  Sometimes that means something and sometimes it doesn't  Anybody see the feed to see if there is anything to it?  Hard to tell on the radio.  I do know we have some good shot fakers like Robinson who are really good at drawing contact.

It would be the same as Matt saying, "That was a little too close for comfort. Then again, it's tough when the other team is at full strength and you're without you're 2nd best player and your back-up center. Not to take anything away from Grand Canyon, of course."

Sometimes your opponent is just better than you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK6gyJ18Aq0&feature=share

talksalot

Illinois State blows a 10 point lead... Cincy wins it 66-65 despite going 1-16 from 3 point.   

Sorolla did not play for the bearcats.

The Jam Bracket folks don't have to worry about a VU - ISU matchup...

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else a little nervous that our players getting the most minutes at the 5 combined for 2 rebounds today?  For those that watched the game (I listened) what can you share with us regarding performance in the PF/C positions in the game?

govalpogo

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 22, 2019, 07:38:01 PM
Anyone else a little nervous that our players getting the most minutes at the 5 combined for 2 rebounds today?  For those that watched the game (I listened) what can you share with us regarding performance in the PF/C positions in the game?

Strange game without really having a 5 often with Mileek in foul trouble.  Seemed like defense and rebounding by committee.  Their 5 also had outside range that frequently brought our big out from under the basket.  Overall the hustle was there and doesn't leave me feeling overly concerned.

I noticed the disparity, but it felt like style of play was a factor.  They took a lot of jump shots and fadeaways while Valpo was running and turning them over putting GCU in spots to foul.  Also felt like GCU either scored or turned the ball over pretty much every time.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: govalpogo on November 22, 2019, 07:39:11 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 22, 2019, 07:38:01 PM

Strange game without really having a 5 often with Mileek in foul trouble.  Seemed like defense and rebounding by committee.  Their 5 also had outside range that frequently brought our big out from under the basket.  Overall the hustle was there and doesn't leave me feeling overly concerned.

I noticed the disparity, but it felt like style of play was a factor.  They took a lot of jump shots and fadeaways while Valpo was running and turning them over putting GCU in spots to foul.  Also felt like GCU either scored or turned the ball over pretty much every time.

Thanks for sharing, listening to the call it was hard to determine if they were jumpers or floaters in the paint with our bigs getting backed down.

After watching these YouTube highlights it looks like jumpers outside the paint + layups from over help and 3's.

https://youtu.be/9hu0CEhZ7d0

NativeCheesehead

I know these are GCU highlights but watching these you'd think we lost by 30.

SanityLost17

Watching those highlights, having not seen the game. 

No wonder there was a free throw disparity.   Watch our guys on defense...  We maintain verticality at all times even when we jump in the are.  Hands both straight up and we NEVER reach forward in the entire highlight clip.   This has NOT been the case the last few years!   

wh

A very good WKU team (picked to win Conference USA) led BGSU 74-67 with 5:02 remaining, then scored only 1 point the rest of the way to lose 76-75.

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 22, 2019, 07:38:01 PMAnyone else a little nervous that our players getting the most minutes at the 5 combined for 2 rebounds today?  For those that watched the game (I listened) what can you share with us regarding performance in the PF/C positions in the game?
What PF/C guys? Mileek was out most of the game and Fazekas and Krikke didn't play. Freese-Vilien is a statue and Kiser isn't exactly Mr. Hops. Yet Valpo was only outrebounded by 3.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: talksalot on November 22, 2019, 07:02:41 PMIllinois State blows a 10 point lead... Cincy wins it 66-65 despite going 1-16 from 3 point. Sorolla did not play for the bearcats. The Jam Bracket folks don't have to worry about a VU - ISU matchup...

Illinois State vs Cincinnati

Illinois State vs UCF

Evansville vs SMU

Missouri State vs Miami

Missouri State vs Xavier

All four points or less. The Valley is SO CLOSE to having just a banner year it's so frustrating.

valpotx

If I was an unbiased viewer, I wouldn't complain about the foul disparity in this one.  I agree that GCU took a lot of jump shots, and our guys stayed vertical in defending.  We've had games in the past where we gave up an extra 20 FTs versus what we took, and it was because we lived on the perimeter and took jump shots.  It happens.  You could see Majerle giving it to the refs as soon as the game ended.  He was a passionate player, so it doesn't surprise me at how frustrated he is, just a few minutes after the game completed.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: JD24 on November 22, 2019, 10:44:35 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 22, 2019, 07:38:01 PMAnyone else a little nervous that our players getting the most minutes at the 5 combined for 2 rebounds today?  For those that watched the game (I listened) what can you share with us regarding performance in the PF/C positions in the game?
What PF/C guys? Mileek was out most of the game and Fazekas and Krikke didn't play. Freese-Vilien is a statue and Kiser isn't exactly Mr. Hops. Yet Valpo was only outrebounded by 3.

I'm suggesting anyone guarding the 4 or 5 is "considered" a PF/C on defense.  Your point is taken, but I was inquiring (of the available players) why we were underperforming on the boards.  Sounds like it was just the way the game played (jump shots and 3's which are more commonly long rebounds when missed) combined with their PF/C stretching the floor.

Kiser was quiet with Rebounds and Clay only had 4.  That means our players with any size on the inside had something like 5 or 6 reb.  That's alarming to me.