• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Mascot

Started by crusader05, February 26, 2021, 10:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

valpotx

Quote from: valpolaw on February 26, 2021, 09:30:28 PM
We can't use paladins, Furman University in Greenville, SC uses that already. I like the Golden Knights. It is so similar to UCF but seems to go smoothly with everything else 

Right, I had mentioned that aspect, but why would that preclude us from using such a thing?  I wouldn't think that they would own trademark/copyrights to such a mascot, as a professional sports team would.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Just go by Valpo.  Have the shield as a symbol. Keep brown and gold.

bbtds

Quote from: Chairback on February 27, 2021, 07:33:37 AM

I noticed in the Xfinity listings that they have started to refer to Valpo as the "Brown and Gold."

"Valparaiso Brown & Gold vs Indiana State Sycamores"

humbleopinion

Perhaps Brown and Gold could be combined to the Valpo Bold (better than the Grown or Gown).
Beamin' Beacons

bbtds

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 27, 2021, 08:50:15 AM
Perhaps Brown and Gold could be combined to the Valpo Bold (better than the Grown or Gown).

Go Bold, Wear Gold!

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2021, 07:43:57 AM

I noticed in the Xfinity listings that they have started to refer to Valpo as the "Brown and Gold."

We are witnessing some of the consequences of the university's botched and incomplete process, and another reason why the poor conduct in this situation was important despite some denying it. One media source uses the rather bad "Brown and Gold" as a nickname, while others simply say "Valpo" and there is no true guidance toward a new nickname. On the broadcast last night, the announcers awkwardly repeated "Valparaiso" over and over, prohibited from saying "Crusaders" despite the fact that there is a huge Crusader at center court, the end lines have "Crusaders" spelled in big bold letters, and the bleacher curtains also proclaim "Crusaders"! In effect, reminders of the Crusader were on screen nearly 100% of the time, and viewers were being asked not to believe their lying eyes!

Had there been a true in-depth study and proper preparation rather than a craven rush to get on the record before the interim president left, the administration could have determined if there were to be a transition, it should occur between athletic seasons after facilities had been altered, and the new nickname would either be announced, or a transparent process for selection in place, well before the arrival of fall seasons in a manner acceptable to various factions of the Valparaiso community, all with an intent of clarity, continuity, and unity. 

vuny98

Quote from: valpopal on February 27, 2021, 12:06:43 PM
Quote from: Chairback on February 27, 2021, 07:33:37 AMJust go by Valpo.  Have the shield as a symbol. Keep brown and gold.
I noticed in the Xfinity listings that they have started to refer to Valpo as the "Brown and Gold." "Valparaiso Brown & Gold vs Indiana State Sycamores"
We are witnessing some of the consequences of the university's botched and incomplete process, and another reason why the poor conduct in this situation was important despite some denying it. One media source uses the rather bad "Brown and Gold" as a nickname, while others simply say "Valpo" and there is no true guidance toward a new nickname. On the broadcast last night, the announcers awkwardly repeated "Valparaiso" over and over, prohibited from saying "Crusaders" despite the fact that there is a huge Crusader at center court, the end lines have "Crusaders" spelled in big bold letters, and the bleacher curtains also proclaim "Crusaders"! In effect, reminders of the Crusader were on screen nearly 100% of the time, and viewers were being asked not to believe their lying eyes! Had there been a true in-depth study and proper preparation rather than a craven rush to get on the record before the interim president left, the administration could have determined if there were to be a transition, it should occur between athletic seasons after facilities had been altered, and the new nickname would either be announced, or a transparent process for selection in place, well before the arrival of fall seasons in a manner acceptable to various factions of the Valparaiso community, all with an intent of clarity, continuity, and unity.
But what fun would that have been???

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 27, 2021, 12:06:43 PM

We are witnessing some of the consequences of the university's botched and incomplete process, and another reason why the poor conduct in this situation was important despite some denying it. One media source uses the rather bad "Brown and Gold" as a nickname, while others simply say "Valpo" and there is no true guidance toward a new nickname. On the broadcast last night, the announcers awkwardly repeated "Valparaiso" over and over, prohibited from saying "Crusaders" despite the fact that there is a huge Crusader at center court, the end lines have "Crusaders" spelled in big bold letters, and the bleacher curtains also proclaim "Crusaders"! In effect, reminders of the Crusader were on screen nearly 100% of the time, and viewers were being asked not to believe their lying eyes!

Had there been a true in-depth study and proper preparation rather than a craven rush to get on the record before the interim president left, the administration could have determined if there were to be a transition, it should occur between athletic seasons after facilities had been altered, and the new nickname would either be announced, or a transparent process for selection in place, well before the arrival of fall seasons in a manner acceptable to various factions of the Valparaiso community, all with an intent of clarity, continuity, and unity. 

In a perfect world, maybe.

valpo64

I thought that earlier the University had put out a press release asking media to use either Valparaiso or Valpo when referring to the School.  Wasn't that posted on this Board?

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on February 27, 2021, 02:04:14 PM
I thought that earlier the University had put out a press release asking media to use either Valparaiso or Valpo when referring to the School.  Wasn't that posted on this Board?

Yes, the media were asked to use "Valparaiso," Valpo," or "Brown and Gold," which was part of the incompetency. Rather than wait until a nickname had been determined and alterations done to facilities before forcing a transition, the administration created a situation of uncertainty or duplicity. Could they not anticipate the hypocrisy of prohibiting the announcers from saying "Crusader" at the same time the Crusader image and name were plastered on screens throughout games? Shouldn't they have thought through the name change process before moving forward rather than allow a void that seems to declare a "not ready for primetime" decision?

crusader05

I actually really love that Bold idea.

Both for the combo of Brown and Gold and it's just a fun name that allows us to keep the shield and embrace the colors.

sliman

Better than the combination that yields Grown (as in Groan) although...

valpotx

Agreed.  That is a good point that the announcement could have waited until after this season completed.  This was definitely timed so that it wouldn't look like the new President made the decision, and not as much because the KKK has a newsletter that they have been using. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

rogerwilco

Quote from: nkvu on February 26, 2021, 01:12:46 PMHow about "The Valpo Terminal Moraine" (learned that one in freshman Geomorphology). Though how you would make a character out of a pile of rubble at the end of a glacier I have no clue.
The Kettle Lakers!  ;)

covufan

Bold = bowled

Mascot cartoon is a bowl of popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VALPO LI

Quote from: rogerwilco on February 27, 2021, 06:02:09 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 26, 2021, 01:12:46 PMHow about "The Valpo Terminal Moraine" (learned that one in freshman Geomorphology). Though how you would make a character out of a pile of rubble at the end of a glacier I have no clue.
The Kettle Lakers!  ;)

Or the Great Lakers!
Shine on Vu

valpotx

Valparaiso Mr. Potato Heads?  Wait...no...don't tell me...it can't be...they took out Mr. F'ing Potato Head now?  Ffffffffffff you, cancel culture :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chitwood

For the record, as an attorney, I can tell you that the trademark issues aren't as much of an obstacle as you may think. It's almost impossible to prevent others from using generic phrases, even something like the Golden Knights. The key issue with trademark infringement is consumer confusion. The University could simply argue no one confuse a small Midwestern school with a professional hockey team and likely win. However, the fact that the logos both include a "V" could murky waters, but as long as we don't change to a black and dark gold color scheme, should be fine.

With that being said, I personally don't like the Golden Knights (if we went Knights, I would like it better if we drop golden). And, kernels is pretty lame.

I don't have a lot of great choices, but here are some options:

Valpo Voyagers? – Similar theme as Crusader but is not as offensive and tampers down the religious angle

Valpo Trailblazers? – Not a lot of teams go by this except for Portland and a couple colleges/high schools. Ties into the dunes while also having a symbolic meaning

Valpo Storm or Golden Storm? – I don't really like meteorology-based names. But this could work. Kind of like St. John's and is somewhat unique (relatively speaking)

Valpo Lakers – someone brought up connecting to the Great Lakes. I think this could be a cool name. Grand Valley State is the Lakers, but not a whole lot of other teams. Again, have to figure out trademark stuff, but I think this likely would be fine because there is no chance of confusion.

78crusader

crusadermoe

vuny98

A running list of names suggested thus far (may have missed some)

Golden Knights/Knights   
Gold      
Bold (Brown and Gold)      
Storm/Golden Storm   
Lakers/Great Lakers/Golden Lakers
Shield      
Dunehawks      
Hilltoppers      
Kernels/Fighting Kernels/Golden Kernels
Victory/Victory Bells   
Golden Gales      
Crew/Golden Crew   
Union      
Golden Bells      
Trailblazers      
Voyagers      
Paladins      
Huskarl      
Hussars      
Dragons      
Lancers      
Rollers      
Surge      
Breakers      
Blizzard      
Golden Otters/Fighting Otters   
Yeti/Golden Yeti/Fighting Yeti
Dune Surfers      
Saders      
Koalas      
Polar Bears      
Tundra Thunder      
Lake Effect      
Glockners      
Zvonars      
Bellringers   

Adding:
Vanguard
Brown and Gold
United   
Etwetritschen

Flames

bbtds

Quote from: vuny98 on March 01, 2021, 02:55:50 PM
A running list of names suggested thus far (may have missed some)

Golden Knights/Knights......................Bellringers      

Etwetritschen, german mythical bird

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

valpotx

Quote from: Chitwood on March 01, 2021, 11:42:58 AM
For the record, as an attorney, I can tell you that the trademark issues aren't as much of an obstacle as you may think. It's almost impossible to prevent others from using generic phrases, even something like the Golden Knights. The key issue with trademark infringement is consumer confusion. The University could simply argue no one confuse a small Midwestern school with a professional hockey team and likely win. However, the fact that the logos both include a "V" could murky waters, but as long as we don't change to a black and dark gold color scheme, should be fine.

With that being said, I personally don't like the Golden Knights (if we went Knights, I would like it better if we drop golden). And, kernels is pretty lame.

I don't have a lot of great choices, but here are some options:

Valpo Voyagers? – Similar theme as Crusader but is not as offensive and tampers down the religious angle

Valpo Trailblazers? – Not a lot of teams go by this except for Portland and a couple colleges/high schools. Ties into the dunes while also having a symbolic meaning

Valpo Storm or Golden Storm? – I don't really like meteorology-based names. But this could work. Kind of like St. John's and is somewhat unique (relatively speaking)

Valpo Lakers – someone brought up connecting to the Great Lakes. I think this could be a cool name. Grand Valley State is the Lakers, but not a whole lot of other teams. Again, have to figure out trademark stuff, but I think this likely would be fine because there is no chance of confusion.

Ah yes, I can see the confusion now, where someone means to call us the Golden Storm, but we get called the Golden Shower instead ;).  Now that would be offensive.
"Don't mess with Texas"