• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Early Thoughts on Bryce?

Started by Crusader03, November 18, 2011, 11:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

For those of you with a little more knowledge and "insider" access to the program, what are your early impressions on the job Bryce has done?  What changes do you see in the team from last year til now?  What does he do differently from Homer, particularly in terms of practice?  If someone had a semi-automatic handgun to your head, would you say Bryce or Homer has the better career in the long run?  Think fast on that one!!!!

So far, color me impressed.  The 'Saders have looked like a very gutsy team and we haven't seen the entire squad together yet!  I'm enjoying the Bryce era thus far.

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader03 on November 18, 2011, 11:29:24 PM

The 'Saders have looked like a very gutsy team and we haven't seen the entire squad together yet!

I agree with Indyvalpo. It's sounds stupid when you call them "'Saders." It sounds like we're attending a Jewish meal or something.

I also found the "insert quote" button [not a "quote (selected)" button] in the "Topic Summary" box but it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. When I used that button it didn't quote only the part I highlighted but it quoted the whole post. 

lowposter

I am not an insider, but we are pretty fortunate to have him.  He brings the morality of his father and the edginess of his brother.  A nice combination. 

Crusader03

Quote from: lowposter on November 19, 2011, 07:56:13 AM
I am not an insider, but we are pretty fortunate to have him.  He brings the morality of his father and the edginess of his brother.  A nice combination.

That is actually a really good way to put it....if we have a Homer/Scott hybrid, we are in great shape.

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on November 19, 2011, 05:46:54 AM

The 'Saders have looked like a very gutsy team and we haven't seen the entire squad together yet!

I agree with Indyvalpo. It's sounds stupid when you call them "'Saders." It sounds like we're attending a Jewish meal or something.

I also found the "insert quote" button [not a "quote (selected)" button] in the "Topic Summary" box but it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. When I used that button it didn't quote only the part I highlighted but it quoted the whole post.

Personally, I like 'Saders.  To each his own, right?

tommydee46

Bryce Drew is a good coach now...and will be an "excellent" in future years....But let's talk Richie Edwards three game suspension...Three games he
will never be able to make up.  My thought is we take three days pay from the compliance director, Samble, that his her job to make sure Valpo complies
with the rules and regulations from the NCAA!  That is, assumng she is on the payroll.     ::)

Crusader03

Quote from: tommydee46 on November 19, 2011, 10:17:02 AM
Bryce Drew is a good coach now...and will be an "excellent" in future years....But let's talk Richie Edwards three game suspension...Three games he
will never be able to make up.  My thought is we take three days pay from the compliance director, Samble, that his her job to make sure Valpo complies
with the rules and regulations from the NCAA!  That is, assumng she is on the payroll.     ::)

Do we know for certain it was her fault?

valpofan56

Quote from: Crusader03 on November 19, 2011, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: bbtds on November 19, 2011, 05:46:54 AM

Personally, I like 'Saders.  To each his own, right?

No, because that's not their team name.  Sure you can call them that if you want, but it will continue to annoy people and they will continue to think you're a moron.

valpospartan

valpo04

Quote from: tommydee46 on November 19, 2011, 10:17:02 AM
But let's talk Richie Edwards three game suspension...

Let's not since that's not what this thread is about.  Try here:  http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=427.0

I like what I see from Bryce thus far.  He does seem to have more of the "take it to them" mentality.

valpo64

I was at the Akron game...was impresssed by the hustle and hard work attitude, especially in the last few minutes of the game when we were down I believe 59-54...the kids never quit, scoring the last 8 points in the game while shutting them down...in the first half I think we were down 10 but no one lost composure and we came back...sure he makes mistakes like any first year coach but so far I'm impressed. 

vuweathernerd

they didn't quit in the arizona game either. so clearly, an early thought on bryce would be that he is able to inspire the team to claw back into games and to not give up.

valpopal

As I have mentioned ever since the exhibition games, Bryce seem to have a more aggressive approach in his game plan, urging the players to slice to the basket and encouraging the inside men to be stronger around the boards, resulting in more fouls drawn. Of course, it would help if we were consistently better at shooting the free throws as well.

Also, I have noticed a better movement during plays, especially when double teaming opponents' larger players. This was particularly effective in the Akron game, in which their heralded 7-footer didn't get off a single shot.

Some of these developments can be attributed to players' maturity, such as Buggs and Harris learning to penetrate toward the basket more: notice Harris had 14 points last night without making a three-point shot and Buggs is more comfortable driving because he has a bit more confidence in his free throws. Part of the change in aggressiveness can also be attributed to Kevin having better health. Maybe some credit even goes to the addition of coach Powell.

Bryce appears to have an aggressive approach both offensively and defensively, but especially on the offense. In fact, near the end of the Akron game when we had a shot clock violation, I was struck by how rare that seems to be thus far this season, while in recent years we often looked to be running down the clock and wound up taking low percentage shots because the shot clock was about to expire.

Finally, if you want to know how Bryce is doing, ask the Vegas folks. Valpo has beat the spread on every game so far.

Valpo89

Bryce has been fantastic. One issue with the Akron game - he called his final timeout with about 4:10 remaining in the game.
He could have waited for the under-4 media. But as soon as he called it, it looked as if he had been given incorrect information and wasn't happy that he didn't have any timeouts remaining for the final minutes of a very close game.

Pgmado

There was miscommunication on the Valpo bench concerning the final timeout that was called.

johnestuff

Even though this was his last time out, it was needed. Could he have waited one more possession? We will never know. But the boys did need to be refocused.

covufan

I think Bryce has done a fine job, and will only get better.  His time in the NBA and overseas will only help.  Hard not to notice the preparation needed and the adjustments needed during an 82 game schedule, with a 24 second clock and four quarters.  The NBA coaches are always having to draw up in-bounds, isolation, and last second shot plays on the fly during a game.  While two of the games so far are not against Division I schools, I like the take it down low, push it when appropriate attitude.  This will help get our team in position for more FTs, especially at the end of the game.