• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 10: @ Indiana State 12/9

Started by VULB#62, December 03, 2015, 11:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Time to start another string.  We are 7-2 as of tonight.  We're battle tested.  ISU is 3-3 as of tonight. 

Wins:
Wyoming
Norfolk State
Hofstra

Losses:
IUPUI
Tulsa
EIU

They play Butler on Saturday and then Valpo this coming Wednesday.

Based on our record against Murray and Belmont these past couple of years we'd be a decent player in the OVC. We've played some competitive games against the MVC teams as well. Will this game against Indiana State (and later Missouri State) give us a barometer of where we would be if we got the bid instead of the Loyola freaking Ramblers?  Just throwing a little gasoline on the fire for fun.

valpotx

We also beat Eastern Kentucky a few times.  We would OWN the OVC...

Good to win the ugly games.  We need to beat Indiana State, as the MVC road games are always tough due to the refs ALWAYS giving the MVC team the calls on their home floor.  It would look terrible if we lose to them, and IUPUI already beat them.

Valpo 71
Indiana State 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Anyone going to the Haute/stinky town on a Wednesday night? You could be back in Valpo just after midnight CT. ISU will not have a big crowd on a Wed and a good showing from NWI might sway the refs slightly.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2015, 11:24:48 PM
We've played some competitive games against the MVC teams as well. Will this game against Indiana State (and later Missouri State) give us a barometer of where we would be if we got the bid instead of the Loyola freaking Ramblers?  Just throwing a little gasoline on the fire for fun.

How close are these guys to the bottom of the MVC? 

I expect a significant challenge, on the road. But I expect tougher tests at Milwaukee and at Oakland. Perhaps also in the Milwaukee and Oakland games at the ARC.

agibson

Looks like the Butler game is on FS1.

Are all of IN state's home games on ESPN3?  Looks like at least some of them are.

valpo4life

Hopefully grinding out the big Belmont win last night will create a spark for our guys. I want to see some improvement these last couple non conference games to have momentum going into conference. Hopefully we can get Tevonn back for this one, I haven't seen anything official on him but from who I talked to the staff was hoping to have him back last night. He's such an explosive athlete he can make plays that others on this team can't and his absence has been evident the past two games.

justducky

Quote from: valpo4life on December 04, 2015, 10:10:33 AMHopefully we can get Tevonn back for this one, I haven't seen anything official on him but from who I talked to the staff was hoping to have him back last night. He's such an explosive athlete he can make plays that others on this team can't and his absence has been evident the past two games.
It is interesting to note that with Tevonn out only 4 minutes have been played by Max in the last 3 games. The reason we have been able to do this is because EVN has only 5 turnovers in 78 minutes against OSU, Ball St, and Belmont. It appears that EVN will remain our first choice backup point plus his fill in minutes at the 2, the 3, and the 4.

As the season progresses I do not expect Max or Lexus to remain invisible. EVN has played 30 min in each of the last 2 games but I would think the staff would prefer a 15 min limit for many of our less challenging opponents. Because they play so well together Tevonn's return could also help reintroduce Max to the rotation. I hope that Max and Lexus are waiting patiently because they should get their opportunities to play somewhere in the near future.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on December 04, 2015, 09:19:44 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 03, 2015, 11:24:48 PM
We've played some competitive games against the MVC teams as well. Will this game against Indiana State (and later Missouri State) give us a barometer of where we would be if we got the bid instead of the Loyola freaking Ramblers?  Just throwing a little gasoline on the fire for fun.

How close are these guys to the bottom of the MVC? 

I expect a significant challenge, on the road. But I expect tougher tests at Milwaukee and at Oakland. Perhaps also in the Milwaukee and Oakland games at the ARC.

Lindy's had both teams in the middle of the pack pre-season (ISU 6th of 10 and MSU 7th of 10) DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell from ISU was picked first team all conference. He is a 6'5" 200# senior.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Here are the Sycamore's stats...
http://www.gosycamores.com/fls/15200//statistics/0809-mbb/SeasonStatsMBB.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=15200

and here's the recap of their game with Eastern Illinois... who came into the game 0-4...
http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210550007&DB_OEM_ID=15200

RPI (Warren Nolan) on their opponents:

Wins:
Wyoming 3-2 #126
Norfolk State 1-4 #262
Hofstra  4-2 #21  Nice win, other loss is to South Carolina, they beat Florida State at the Jam.

Losses:
IUPUI  1-6 #334 (Beat ISU Game #1...losses to:  Marquette, NC State, Kennesaw St, So Alabama, Georgia State and Ball State.
Tulsa  5-2 #31
EIU  1-4 #259  (Losses to IU, Ball State, WIU and Green Bay... before beating Indiana State)

Butler is #37

covufan

Good to hear that we have a four year deal with ISU!

Valpo    67
ISU       56

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on December 04, 2015, 12:01:22 PM
Good to hear that we have a four year deal with ISU!

Valpo    67
ISU       56

We should be playing them fairly regularly as our FCS scholarship game in FB as well (going back to when we competed with - and beat - them as a part of the old ICC).

HC

Valpo gets healthy and finds it's offense.

79-61 winner!

Just Sayin

Valpo needs to learn to be more offensive.

VULB#62

In their 3 losses so far ISU scored an average of 63.67 ppg; in their 3 wins they scored an average of 69 ppg.

Maybe Butler will shut them down a bit tomorrow, but they haven't experienced a D like ours yet.  We've held Iona (58), URI (55),  Oregon State (57) BSU (69) and Belmont (57) all under 70.  And nationally ranked (now #15-#17) Oregon got only 73.

I'm with covufan......

ISU 54 (or less)
Valpo 67

mvandersee

Quote from: vu72 on December 04, 2015, 11:49:13 AMLindy's had both teams in the middle of the pack pre-season (ISU 6th of 10 and MSU 7th of 10) DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell from ISU was picked first team all conference. He is a 6'5" 200# senior.
Akoon-Purcell was picked preseason First Team All-MVC, but he plays for Illinois St, not Indiana St. The Sycamores had one guy, Brown, on the honorable mention list. I'm pretty sure he's a senior, but they also have last year's MVC Freshman of the Year (Scott), so it is a mix of veterans and talented young players who are picked to finish middle of the pack in the MVC.

wh

Butler up on ISU 53-47 with 12:22 to go at Hinkle. Even if Butler pulls away, it says something about ISU's staying power to be within 6 this far into the game against a good Big East team on their court.

wh

Butler finally pulled away for a 14-point (favored by 16). That said ISU basically played them even up for the first 30 minues.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on December 05, 2015, 01:05:06 PM
Butler finally pulled away for a 14-point (favored by 16). That said ISU basically played them even up for the first 30 minues.
SIU-E played Butler straight up for a half.  It was the only thing I could find to listen to on my forlorn drive back from Muncie ;)

vu84v2

Valparaiso's defense carries the day and their offense hits a few more shots.

Valpo 69
Indiana State 58

VUfan

VU 72 ISU 67 a close win  Take that Larry!!!  :lol:

agibson

Looking at Indiana State's record a little bit.

It seems like, were they to beat us, we'd be the biggest scalp they've collected in a few years... and that's playing in a league where they get their chances at top-50 teams on their home court.

Of course, we were the biggest scalp that Ball State's collected in a decade or so, so that's no kind of insurance policy.

If they didn't have any big wins last year, they did knock of a decent (beat Green Bay in the NIT) Illinois State team a couple of times, and Loyola a couple of times.

They're used to playing quality MVC teams, and did come close on the road at Northern Iowa last year.

Loyola went on to smash Indiana State 81-53 in the first round of the MVC tourney last year.  But, I guess Loyola was halfway decent last year, going on to _win_ the CBI. I know, the CBI, but still, it's five tournament wins in a row.

P.S.  Hmmm... biggest scalp.  Is that racist?  Biggest... feather in their cap? Not sure what a better metaphor might be.

agibson

Consensus in the Indy Star Indiana round table
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/purdue/2015/12/04/state-hoops-iu-among-states-big-four/76753776/
seems to be "worse than Ball State, IPFW, better than IUPUI".

crusadermoe

I know we are much more athletic now.   Our upside is huge as shown vs Oregon State.

But..there is just something about early December games vs. in-state teams.   Rationally I know we should win, but the Loss at Ball State wakes me up in a cold sweat.

My psyche is still scarred by the 50 to x? first half drubbing of Anti Nikilla and crew we received from Purdue in an Indy tourney.....2001?  And we thought we were ascending.

I need more therapy.

wh