• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 10: @ Indiana State 12/9

Started by VULB#62, December 03, 2015, 11:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

RealTime RPI has us LOSING to ISU 75-74...

they also have us losing at Belmont, Cleveland State, Milwaukee and Green Bay... ALL by 1 point!

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on December 08, 2015, 09:12:38 PM
RealTime RPI has us LOSING to ISU 75-74...

they also have us losing at Belmont, Cleveland State, Milwaukee and Green Bay... ALL by 1 point!

Pessimistic!  We've not given up 75 points this season. Even in a loss.

For another computer prediction, RPI Forecast gives us a 71% chance of beating Indiana State, with a 6.7 point spread.

valpolaw

Indiana State played Butler pretty close and has probably worked up its confidence to come out hungry in this game.  I'm thinking Valpo comes out of this one with a win by 5-8 points and it is a fairly close throughout the game.  Of course, I'd love to see the Crusaders win in a blow out, but I don't see that happening.   

vusupporter

Using anything with RPI in the name as a predictor tool is absolutely asinine.

agibson

Quote from: vusupporter on December 09, 2015, 09:25:19 AM

Heh.  I don't know if there's anyone out there who _actually_ uses RPI as the basis of predictions.  RealTimeRPI has their own algorithm.  RPIForecast uses Sagarin ratings as the base for predictions, etc.

For RPIForecast the goal is to _describe_ the RPI.  For RealTimeRPI, near as I can tell, the predictions are just a nice feature tacked on to the RPI reporting service.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on December 09, 2015, 09:56:14 AM
Quote from: vusupporter on December 09, 2015, 09:25:19 AM

Heh.  I don't know if there's anyone out there who _actually_ uses RPI as the basis of predictions.  RealTimeRPI has their own algorithm.  RPIForecast uses Sagarin ratings as the base for predictions, etc.

For RPIForecast the goal is to _describe_ the RPI.  For RealTimeRPI, near as I can tell, the predictions are just a nice feature tacked on to the RPI reporting service.

Right - RPI forecast's predictions actually have nothing to do with RPI. Their score predictions come straight from Sagarins predictor.

The expected RPI (forecasted) uses the same Sagarin formula, but it stimulates an entire season 10,000 times.

talksalot

heck, I just reported it here for Bulletin Board material for the team...

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on December 09, 2015, 11:27:28 AM
heck, I just reported it here for Bulletin Board material for the team...

It's interesting to see, at least.  Makes you wonder if one model or the other is obviously better, when the results can be so divergent.

hailcrusaders

Without Tevonn: Valpo 65 I St. 61
With Tevonn: Valpo 73 I St. 59
#CrusadersForever

vu72

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 09, 2015, 12:41:01 PM
Without Tevonn: Valpo 65 I St. 61
With Tevonn: Valpo 73 I St. 59

Bryce's weekly video said that David continues to improve and that Tevonn had practiced and was a "game time" decision (read--he'll be playing)  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on December 09, 2015, 12:54:21 PM

Bryce's weekly video said that David continues to improve and that Tevonn had practiced and was a "game time" decision (read--he'll be playing)  ;D

I don't have the quote, but what I heard was along the lines of "had practiced a little".

My hunch is that, at most, they'll try to use this game to get Tevonn some game-intensity minutes.  Maybe that happens when we have a big lead.  _Maybe_ that happens earlier, and we see how he feels.  We've seen this go both ways in recent memory, I think.  Sometimes just a few minutes, sometimes a number large enough to surprise even the player.

But, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't see him on the court. I guess I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't dress.

agibson

[tweet]674730265151987712[/tweet]

I'm a little surprised.  But not very.

wh

Very nice facility. IN tax dollars at work. Looks like money well spent.

Rik Smits in the house.

NativeCheesehead

Ok I realize we're spoiled with a pretty good announce crew and generally good crews in the conference. These guys are really bad. Ferdinandez? 

a3uge

Vashil is in foul trouble. Where have I heard that before?

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 09, 2015, 06:10:03 PM
Ok I realize we're spoiled with a pretty good announce crew and generally good crews in the conference. These guys are really bad. Ferdinandez?

Yeah these guys are awful.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

a3uge

Let's stop running the play where Carter dribbles into the lane and turns it over.

crusadermoe

Yeah.   And the matador defense can stop anytime after the 10-run we just gave up.

covufan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 09, 2015, 06:10:03 PM
Or Sarkira (Skara).  Awful

oklahomamick

That was a bad foul call at the end of half. 
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Can't complain too much about a 10 point lead, but that was one of the ugliest halves I've seen in a while.
#CrusadersForever

bbtds

It may be just me but are the refs making some strange calls? I'm not going to say that all the calls are going against Valpo but the refs sure have missed a lot of calls and then inconsistently make calls that make you go 'huh?'

oklahomamick

13-3 free throws advantage Indiana St.  Vashil has shot all 3 of our free throws. 
CRUSADERS!!!