• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 10: @ Indiana State 12/9

Started by VULB#62, December 03, 2015, 11:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Has Peters shot a free throw yet? He's getting mugged every time down.

historyman

Quote from: covufan on December 09, 2015, 06:42:17 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 09, 2015, 06:10:03 PM
Ok I realize we're spoiled with a pretty good announce crew and generally good crews in the conference. These guys are really bad. Ferdinandez? 
Or Sarkira (Skara).  Awful

How in the world do you get Sa-kar-uh out of S-K-A-R-A?

Peters has got to make shots.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

We seem to be getting out rebounded  on the defensive end.

Who is Nickels? Sakira? Ferhernandez?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

Two questions for the forum:

1)  We just can't get the offensivement movement we had vs. OSU again.   Is Tevonn the entire difference because he is so strong to the hoop?

2)   Why was our defense strong vs OSU and most others, but leaks like a sieve tonight so often?

talksalot

NICE WIN... ANOTHER nice ROAD win... 69-63!   PHEW is all I can say about that... enjoy the bus trip... hope EVic's wrist is OK...

bbtds

I couldn't turn the ESPN(ot)3 broadcast off soon enough. They were just awful. Ask the sports info guy from Valpo for pronunciations but don't fake it.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on December 09, 2015, 08:16:11 PM
I couldn't turn the ESPN(ot)3 broadcast off soon enough. They were just awful. Ask the sports info guy from Valpo for pronunciations but don't fake it.

Unprofessional. No preparation. Plain lazy. Shows a lack of respect. We need to remember that.

oklahomamick

It sounded like they threw two undergrads out there.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

It's pretty easy to be disappointed in the slim margin of the game, but I think it's more a reminder of how difficult it is for a mid-major, even a very good one, to win on the road against other mid-majors.  The fact of life for good mid-majors is that, on the road, you'll get the best game from your opponent without them ever really being intimidated.  Also, I think we're seeing how important Skara and Tevonn are.

ValpoFan

I don't think that we should be disappointed. A win on the road is a win on the road  :clap:. Especially with the big target that Valpo is right now, every team we play is going to give us their 110%.

One thing is for sure though: We do miss Tevonn... A LOT!

Valpower

Quote from: ValpoFan on December 09, 2015, 10:06:52 PM
I don't think that we should be disappointed. A win on the road is a win on the road  :clap:. Especially with the big target that Valpo is right now, every team we play is going to give us their 110%.

One thing is for sure though: We do miss Tevonn... A LOT!
That sounds suspiciously like what I said put through the sports-talk translator.  ;)

NativeCheesehead

General Impressions:

1. A road win is a road win. That being said, if this team is to eventually live up to the hype they have embraced, we need more offensive consistency. T Walk will help with that, but others need to step up as well.

2. Vashil needs to become a factor again. Yes, he continues to have trouble staying on the floor, and yes, he had 6 boards and 2 blocks tonight, but he seems to disappear for long stretches of time on both ends of the floor.

3. Really happy with what I saw from Darien tonight. Still hasn't found his jumper but is now starting to go to the basket rather than rely on a shot that just isn't there right now. Great aggresiveness.

4. We saw flashes of the type of impact player Skara can be late last season, and since his return he's becoming a versatile, consistent factor in every game. He'd be starting on a lot of other teams.

5. Shane seems lost. Two very poor defensive plays in key moments and a couple of turnovers trying to drive into two or three opponents. His talent is clearly as high as anyone on this team, but his head and roll seem up in the air right now.

6. This was looking like the Ball State game for awhile. Read where Alec said after that loss they wouldn't let something like that happen again. Like to hear that. Love to see it backed up. His shot wasn't great tonight but his will and determination really stand out in games like this. 

7. Chicago State has one of the worst DI RPI rankings in the country. Blow them out.

8. Holy Heck those announcers were terrible. The fact that they were likely students is no excuse. I watch a lot of the ESPN3 games during the week and there are plenty of students calling the low-mid major games and the vast majority of them are actually pretty good. I believe it was students calling our women's game tonight and they did a very good job. Again, i realize we have a good announcer who has years of experience with our program and that spoils us a bit. But my goodness.....those two.......

a3uge

ValpoFan

chef

They were not students and they said they didn't need help with pronunciations.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

Bryce's 102nd career win.   Tied for second most in School history with Coach J. Christiansen 1929 - 1941... over 12 years.

His picture can be found in this archived TORCH article...
http://collections.valpo.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/torch/id/2683/rec/3

Other fun stories are on that front page... Enrollment was spiking at 500 with Lembke and Altruria Hall's filled to capacity in 1929.

The team went 4-11 in year one.scoring a total of 320 points on the YEAR... averaging 21.33 ppg.... lowest in school history.

agibson

Quote from: chef on December 10, 2015, 12:40:59 AM

Wow!  They were at least... pretty young? 25 or less?  Or do my ears betray me?

They were "professionals"?  And not students?  Wow.

I came on here willing to defend their broadcast, assuming they were students. And I still think there were some commendable aspects.  I thought their call and discussion was mostly fairly even-handed, say. Not to much of a home-team call.  As a visiting fan, on a "televised" game, I appreciated that.

But, wow.  There were also many things that were not good.

SanityLost17

We have "won ugly" a lot this year.  Which is fine for now, but "winning ugly" only works so long before you start getting burned (Ball State Game).  I hope the return of Tevonn gets our offense flowing again.

The way we are playing now, I would say road loses to Belmont, Detroit, UWM, and Oakland are likely, as well as one "what the hell???" game.

oklahomamick

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 10, 2015, 09:30:48 AMWe have "won ugly" a lot this year.  Which is fine for now, but "winning ugly" only works so long before you start getting burned (Ball State Game).  I hope the return of Tevonn gets our offense flowing again. The way we are playing now, I would say road loses to Belmont, Detroit, UWM, and Oakland are likely, as well as one "what the hell???" game.

I'm with you.  Looking at the schedule there is a 4 game stretch at the beginning of conference play where we are on the road against Oakland and Detroit then play UWM and a fast pace UWGB.  Even though Oakland plays Michigan this is the game they circle on the schedule.  4  out of our first 5 conference games are against the top teams in the league.
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 10, 2015, 09:30:48 AM
The way we are playing now, I would say road loses to Belmont, Detroit, UWM, and Oakland are likely, as well as one "what the hell???" game.

"Likely" as in "we'd be slight underdogs for each" maybe.  I don't see us, even the team we saw at Ball State and ISU, dropping all four of those.  Maybe two.

And, yes, hopefully Tevonn's able to get healthy and re-integrate. Sounds like it might be a while.  SID Aaron was thinking maybe available for MO State. I'm not sure Bruce was even that optimistic.

Seems like we haven't quite found a flow as an offense. Or I've not figured out our identity, at least.  Interesting flashes from people like Skara, Hammink, D Walker, E Vic, but maybe no coherent vision.

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 10, 2015, 09:30:48 AM
We have "won ugly" a lot this year.  Which is fine for now, but "winning ugly" only works so long before you start getting burned (Ball State Game).  I hope the return of Tevonn gets our offense flowing again.

If we're complaining about our wins not being majestic enough, we're probably still in good shape. Entering conference play with only 2 or 3 losses is great, no matter what the schedule is. Even before the year began, it was likely Valpo would lose a few conference games, and I don't think seeing the last few games really changes anything.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on December 10, 2015, 08:23:14 AM

Wow!  They were at least... pretty young? 25 or less?  Or do my ears betray me?

They were "professionals"?  And not students?  Wow.

I came on here willing to defend their broadcast, assuming they were students. And I still think there were some commendable aspects.  I thought their call and discussion was mostly fairly even-handed, say. Not to much of a home-team call.  As a visiting fan, on a "televised" game, I appreciated that.

But, wow.  There were also many things that were not good.
Color me shocked, too, agibson.

Positives: they only complained once about a foul against the home team.  They had a minimal understanding of our team's strengths and weaknesses.  Their delivery was fairly smooth.
Negatives: their analysis was very unsophisticated, and they did not do well cutting short their narratives when something exciting was happening.  I've heard more knowledgeable analysis from our WBB announcers (yes I know you probably thought you'd never hear me say that).

I was prepared to give them a bit of a break since I assumed they were students, but if they're not, then saying they didn't need any help with pronunciations is the height of incompetence since they had no idea and kept inventing invisible letters.  If they were paid for that gig, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Fortunately, someone on twitter reminded me that you could pause the TuneIn app and sync up WVUR with the picture, so that's what I did :)  I watched it on replay this morning, so that's how I heard their pbp.

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on December 09, 2015, 07:32:03 PMHow in the world do you get Sa-kar-uh out of S-K-A-R-A?

I think they were actually thinking of the psoriasis medication.

http://www.stelarainfo.com/

drewsaders11

A few things the annoucers said:

You got to do what has got you here (when Indiana St. was down by about 8 with 4 minutes left).
He needs to be more decisive with his decision making.
A discussion with appx. 36 seconds left about Indiana St. fouling, down by two possessions (one announcer was adamant they didn't need to).
One of the announcers (the color commentator?) using like more than anyone should ever use like.

All of that said, Valpo did what they needed to do.  Not pretty, but is it ever?  Hoping we beat Chicago St. by about 25, although they have had a few close games recently (including against a mediocre BIG school in Illinois).