• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 13, 2016, 01:06:06 PM
The more learned opinions I read here, the more I think a grad transfer would be a huge gamble on Alec's part and the risks would outnumber the benefits.

I really think you're letting your normally rational thoughts be clouded by the probable calls from this message board for Alec to stay because, well, we like him and Valpo suffers if he doesn't come back. Put yourself in Alec's shoes, or Alec's parents' shoes. There are a lot more pluses to playing P5/6 basketball than I'm seeing in this thread. Games on TV stations with big ratings which leads to exposure to more people that post on forums that are read more widely, etc.

M

Rational thoughts have no place on this board....you get a 3 day ban for posting such nonsense.  :-X

wh

Quote from: bbtds on April 14, 2016, 03:01:46 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 13, 2016, 01:06:06 PM
The more learned opinions I read here, the more I think a grad transfer would be a huge gamble on Alec's part and the risks would outnumber the benefits.

I really think you're letting your normally rational thoughts be clouded by the probable calls from this message board for Alec to stay because, well, we like him and Valpo suffers if he doesn't come back. Put yourself in Alec's shoes, or Alec's parents' shoes. There are a lot more pluses to playing P5/6 basketball than I'm seeing in this thread. Games on TV stations with big ratings which leads to exposure to more people that post on forums that are read more widely, etc.

More cable TV exposure might benefit somebody who no one has ever heard of, but Alec doesn't need to be "discovered" by some channel surfing talent scout. He is already on everyone's radar, and will be even more so if he does well in tryouts. Whoever wants to watch him in a televised game probably  knows how to call up ESPN 3 on the ol' laptop.

The more important issue has already been raised with good points on both sides - would playing against higher-rated competition be to Alec's advantage?  As has been noted, there  it
probably isn't a 1-size-fits-all answer.

d0uble3m

I certainly agree that there is risk with moving to a power 5/6 conference, but isn't that what it's all about? Shooting for the highest league in the land is a risk worth taking. Even if he doesn't get the prolific scoring numbers, he would at least get a ton of experience against the type of talent that he's going to play in the NBA camps.

I'm just afraid, for Alec's sake, that since averaging 19ppg/9rpg in the Horizon hasn't put him on anyone's NBA Draft radar so far (that I can see), coming back and averaging 22ppg/10rpg isn't going to shoot him up the boards unless Valpo gets a win or two in the NCAAT next year.

I really hope I'm wrong! (Fingers crossed that he comes back, drops 28/12, we make a S16 run, and Alec's a lottery pick!) ;D

vu84v2

Quote from: FWalum on April 13, 2016, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on April 13, 2016, 10:01:00 AM
I agree with all of the comments regarding whether Alec will stay or leave, but I would like to add one more perspective. If Alec is not ultimately in the NBA draft (likely) and there is feedback that he needs to somehow prove himself in a Power 5 (6 counting the Big East) conference, he also needs to consider whether options exist where he would start and play big minutes. This reduces the number of possibilities quite a bit, but would leave some options. While I ultimately want him to stay at Valpo, he would (for example) be a very good fit at Kansas given Perry Ellis graduating. This potential opportunity of Peters at Kansas has been mentioned in the local press here. His fit and opportunity gets even better if one of the less developed freshman decided to go into the draft. The point is that there are many moving pieces and no one is going to really know how this shakes out until late May or June.
Josh Jackson, a 6-foot-7 guard and Rivals.com's top-ranked player in the class of 2016, committed to the Kansas men's basketball team on Monday.  While not an exact fill in for Ellis I don't think if I were Alec that I would want to potentially compete with a "one and done" for playing time. This kid doesn't really play like a guard.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article71267547.html#storylink=cpy

Jackson is a pure 3 while, like Ellis, Peters is a 4 that can also go outside. Jackson playing the 4 would involve KU playing small, which they seldom do. Carlton Bragg, who is a 4/5, deciding to stay for a year at Kansas does reduce the likelihood of a graduate transfer getting a 'nearly guaranteed' 25-30 minutes per game at KU.

Just Sayin

I saw the team entering Kelsey's Steakhouse a couple of days ago. This does not bode well for recruiting or the program going forward. I was there, I saw it. Believe it.

agibson

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 14, 2016, 09:12:33 AM
I saw the team entering Kelsey's Steakhouse a couple of days ago. This does not bode well for recruiting or the program going forward. I was there, I saw it. Believe it.

Are we supposed to be reading between the lines, or is this just some kind of a dig at Kelsey's, or too much saturated fat, or something?

Vashil was on social media about it - called it his last dinner with the team.

historyman

Quote from: wh on April 14, 2016, 08:18:52 AMWhoever wants to watch him in a televised game probably  knows how to call up ESPN 3 on the ol' laptop.

I think this is true for everyone on this message board but I agree that there are many who only watch cable TV, and a few who only watch on-air TV, and they don't know about watching Valpo or Alec. Those same people spend a lot of collective money on the NCAA programs that they like. Could they be potential Valpo fans--ala ValpoDad--most certainly. I know that you know a lot of people such as this.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

[tweet]720610193038516225[/tweet]

That's impressive.  Good company.

valpo64

If you are good enough and are ready for the NBA, the scouts will find you...We have had scouts at some of our home games this past season.  Alec's exposure is not a problem

wh

Quote from: historyman on April 14, 2016, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: wh on April 14, 2016, 08:18:52 AMWhoever wants to watch him in a televised game probably  knows how to call up ESPN 3 on the ol' laptop.

I think this is true for everyone on this message board but I agree that there are many who only watch cable TV, and a few who only watch on-air TV, and they don't know about watching Valpo or Alec. Those same people spend a lot of collective money on the NCAA programs that they like. Could they be potential Valpo fans--ala ValpoDad--most certainly. I know that you know a lot of people such as this.

NBA scouts and other talent evaluators are assigned to follow specific players at scecific times.  If they observe Alec in person, they'll figure out how to get to the ARC. If they are told to watch a specific televised game they'll figure out out to access it. That's what I'm referring to. What fans tune in to is meaningless.

Just Sayin

Quote from: agibson on April 14, 2016, 09:30:04 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on April 14, 2016, 09:12:33 AM

Are we supposed to be reading between the lines, or is this just some kind of a dig at Kelsey's, or too much saturated fat, or something?

Vashil was on social media about it - called it his last dinner with the team.

:-X

valpotx

Recruiting seems to be going well, in spite of Bryce leaving us with 3 openings.  It sounds like the key players are all excited about next season.  The only question mark is what Peters does, so I am not sure what you are insinuating
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

Again, here's the thing. Being close to DePauls program at one time and a season ticket holder, I saw and talked several times with Wilson Chandler who came to DePaul as 3* recruit. He was somewhat heralded out MI Benton Harbor and struggled at times his freshman year, was suspended on 2 different occasions and thought about leaving. Came back his Sophmore year, put up decent stats (no where near Alec's) and decided to go pro after his 2nd year. Went to the NBA camps and worked out for a number of NBA teams and went from a fringe 2nd rounder to the 21st pick overall in the 1st Round or so, to the Knicks. You draw attention, like Alec did, during your season but you help yourself in the group camps and team workouts. Alec is a known commodity now. Where he projects after his off season / predraft workouts will help or hurt him in his quest to be an NBA player. Transferring really will not help his overall stock in my opinion. But some of that is wishful thinking as well. He doesn't translate well helps us as I think he returns, he leaves to be drafted as he projects to be really helps recruiting as the staff can point to the fact we can get you to the NBA even playing in the HL.

valpotx

I completely forgot that Valpo would have to willingly release Peters from his scholarship, if he were to use the graduate transfer rule:

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-basketball/2016/4/20/11476394/valentine-izundu-transfer-sdsu-blocked-wsu-basketball
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

No Valpotx, there will be willingness on Valpo's part. If Alec completes his 4 year studies in the summer and the school he wants to attend has graduate programs that Valpo does offer he's free to attend that school. No strings, no nothing. Let's face it, they find a program, especially at larger schools, for those kids to enroll into.

The example you pointed out is tampering, that will be hard to prove, especially now that Alec has declared for the draft. Very rarely, if at all, until you've showed something, have I seen a kid held back due to tampering. Where we are at, and while it may suck, would not paint is in a good light with up and coming recruits.

VULB#62

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 24, 2016, 08:18:41 PM
No Valpotx, there will be willingness on Valpo's part. If Alec completes his 4 year studies in the summer and the school he wants to attend has graduate programs that Valpo does not offer he's free to attend that school. No strings, no nothing. Let's face it, they find a program, especially at larger schools, for those kids to enroll into.

The example you pointed out is tampering, that will be hard to prove, especially now that Alec has declared for the draft. Very rarely, if at all, until you've showed something, have I seen a kid held back due to tampering. Where we are at, and while it may suck, would not paint is in a good light with up and coming recruits.

I think I fixed your post (bold)

ValpoDad89

Thanks 62, you felt me and I appreciate that!!!

VULB#62

Felder invited to the NBA combine:  http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2505.0

Any word on how Alec did in SLC?

chef

VULB#62

Paul retweeted this with the note that Alec not on the list with 11 more slots to fill.

[tweet]726773566876880900[/tweet]

covufan

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727120355899412480

Up to 64 and 13 alternates.  I still don't see Alec's name?

Is the probability of having Peters and Carter next year increasing?

VULB#62

So Malik Beasley makes it.  Against FSU Alec laid 26 on them and Beasley had 14 and wasn't even their team's top scorer.  But then that was not a typical audition work out.

valpotx

Alec is most likely better than a lot of these names.  This is unfortunate for him.  I don't get how Layman from Maryland gets such love.  He must have lit up every team, as he didn't look like anything special against us in the tourney last year.  He just looked like another guy that sits on the perimeter.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Alec is a blue collar BB player. Not flashy.  No windmill dunks.  No in-your-face stuff.  He is team first, me second.  He just gets er done. That does't always get rewarded in camps, combines or audition workouts.  He's a gem and we've got him (I hope).