• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

If Alec leaves, and with no Keith, and with 4 scholarships to fill this late in the recruiting season, the program will have lost all it's positive momentum practically overnight.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on May 15, 2016, 02:51:13 PM
I wouldn't read much into it - maybe he's still on the road. But no Peters at commencement. Jubril and Keith are here. Vashil yesterday.

A little to my surprise, Roger Powell was here for the ceremony. Nice of him to come out and support the graduates.

atkins

I agree with WH. 

I feel sorry for Matt if he has to plan the season without Alec slotted into the lineup.  If that's the case, the team will have gone from the Horizon favorite to a decent-but-not-outstanding contender.  We will still have talent, but the holes will be glaringly obvious.  I worry about the mental effect on the team as a whole.  So many negative changes and off-season disruption to a formerly cohesive program.   :-*

covufan

Quote from: agibson on May 15, 2016, 03:52:14 PM
Quote from: agibson on May 15, 2016, 02:51:13 PM
I wouldn't read much into it - maybe he's still on the road. But no Peters at commencement. Jubril and Keith are here. Vashil yesterday.

A little to my surprise, Roger Powell was here for the ceremony. Nice of him to come out and support the graduates.
Didn't I read somewhere that Powell was getting a Master's this year?

ValpoDad89

It was my understanding that Peters would be finishing his course work during the Summer. If so, once completed, he's a free agent.

oklahomamick

Off season has not been kind.  Bryce leaves, Skara leaves, K. Carter leaves and possibly Peters.

Most of the recruits or transfers didn't come.  Not a good start. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 15, 2016, 11:25:58 PM
It was my understanding that Peters would be finishing his course work during the Summer. If so, once completed, he's a free agent.

The positive here is that he can't declare as a graduate transfer, until he is going to graduate.  I have to believe that most top schools will be filling their slots before he finishes his summer session?  Also, Carter isn't 'leaving,' he is being screwed by the NCAA :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpotx on May 16, 2016, 11:33:24 AM

The positive here is that he can't declare as a graduate transfer, until he is going to graduate.  I have to believe that most top schools will be filling their slots before he finishes his summer session?  Also, Carter isn't 'leaving,' he is being screwed by the NCAA :)

For a guy like Peters, teams will find a spot for him regardless if/when he decides to leave.  He's too good not to, and only has a spot for a year unlike a traditional transfer.

VULB#62

And Valpo is appealing the appeal denial.

valpotx

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 16, 2016, 11:39:28 AM

For a guy like Peters, teams will find a spot for him regardless if/when he decides to leave.  He's too good not to, and only has a spot for a year unlike a traditional transfer.

I don't know if you are holding out hope for Butler, but he won't be going there :).  I have to believe that it would be a Big 10 school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: covufan on May 15, 2016, 10:48:21 PMDidn't I read somewhere that Powell was getting a Master's this year?

Ah, right you are.

I recycled my program, and a little to my surprise don't find one on the commencement web page.

But, here we go

[tweet]731557116922757120[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 15, 2016, 11:25:58 PMIt was my understanding that Peters would be finishing his course work during the Summer. If so, once completed, he's a free agent.

Interesting. He was listed in the graduation program, but it may well be that's allowed if you anticipate graduating based on summer credits.

I do wonder how the scholarship situation works. I think their scholarships do cover summer classes, but is it _next_ year's scholarship, or _last_ year's scholarship?

I think it was a bone of contention for some Milwaukee players - when they asked for their release to talk to other programs, I believe they were told that it would be at the expense of their funding for this summer. Obviously a different situation than Alec's. And, anyway, I hope we would give Alec the summer scholarship even if we knew he was leaving. (Unless, _maybe_, it somehow seemed like it would cost us a recruit.)

crusader05

Most students who are anticipated to finish their coursework in the summer still walk in May. There degree is just not officially conferred until later.  I'd imagine that is the case with Alec as well.

nkvu

Quote from: agibson on May 16, 2016, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 15, 2016, 11:25:58 PMIt was my understanding that Peters would be finishing his course work during the Summer. If so, once completed, he's a free agent.

Interesting. He was listed in the graduation program, but it may well be that's allowed if you anticipate graduating based on summer credits.

I do wonder how the scholarship situation works. I think their scholarships do cover summer classes, but is it _next_ year's scholarship, or _last_ year's scholarship?

I think it was a bone of contention for some Milwaukee players - when they asked for their release to talk to other programs, I believe they were told that it would be at the expense of their funding for this summer. Obviously a different situation than Alec's. And, anyway, I hope we would give Alec the summer scholarship even if we knew he was leaving. (Unless, _maybe_, it somehow seemed like it would cost us a recruit.)

So....mid majors pay for four years of education and only receive three seasons of play. And in Smits' case maybe only two?  Sounds like a great deal for the player and the P5 schools.  Mid majors develop the fringe P5 recruits into P5 level players and just when they can help the mid major school compete with P5 schools they graduate and transfer to a P5 school for their last year. The mid major equivalent of one (or two) and done.

The rich get richer...

VULB#62

BTW, doesn't Alec have to formally withdraw his name from NBA consideration before May 25th (or something like that) to remain college eligible?  And has that happened yet?  Or does the fact that he was not invited to the combine automatically withdraw him?

valpotx

Yes, he has to formally withdraw his name, since he declared.  If intends to pursue the graduate transfer as well, he would need to state as such, I believe. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Semir Sahic, Vanderbilt's 6'9" forward has decided to transfer to Tulane. This does not appear to be a welcome development right at the time of Peters' decision.

valpotx

Peters would still be playing behind Kornet, as Sahic would have done.  Kornet is not a 7'1" Center, but more of a PF.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 20, 2016, 09:31:50 AM
Semir Sahic, Vanderbilt's 6'9" forward has decided to transfer to Tulane. This does not appear to be a welcome development right at the time of Peters' decision.
He only averaged 4.7 minutes per game in 22 games.  With Damien Jones going pro, I would have thought his minutes would greatly increase. 

The number of transfers the last few years is staggering. 

covufan

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/733451154055680001

Interestingly, Peters has worked out for Boston (8 picks in this years NBA draft) and now Denver (5 picks in draft).  Not sure I'd want to be anything but a first round pick (for an early entry). 

vu72

I'm pretty sure I don't have a clue what the NBA folks want in players.  As an example, Malik Beasley is a consensus first rounder while a player like Gary Payton II is projected to be a low second rounder.  Payton was one of the top 5 players I saw play against Valpo with 25 points and 11 rebounds while Beasley was not very impressive going for 14 points, 5 rebounds and 4 fouls.   :crazy:

To be further confused consider that Payton was a First Team All Pac 12 and all Defensive team member while Beasley wasn't picked on either the first, second or third team all ACC teams.  He did make honorable mention.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I would much rather see him in an NBA jersey next season, than wearing another college jersey elsewhere.  It would be like when Joe Montana played for the Chiefs.  Something would just be off.  It didn't feel that way with Wood, but would feel like that for Peters, since he is someone that embodies the mid-major with a chip on his shoulder.  Seeing him in a Power 5 jersey would tell me that he went back on his views, as he has always talked about how those schools bypassed him, and told him he couldn't play right away.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on May 20, 2016, 09:58:06 AM
Peters would still be playing behind Kornet, as Sahic would have done.  Kornet is not a 7'1" Center, but more of a PF.

I believe Kornet could play center in a Bryce Drew offense. How often did Adekoya play center? Also, if needed, Alec could move over to the 3 position at times. Bryce might even be doing Alec a favor by playing him at the 3 position since that is how NBA teams view him. I have no doubt Bryce would make it work for Alec, though I hate the idea of Peters leaving and wearing another uniform. In fact, I just saw Alec practicing with the Denver Nuggets, and I didn't even like seeing him in their blue uniforms.

valpotx

As mentioned before, I would lose a lot of respect for Bryce, if Alec ends up at Vandy.  It's one thing for Jordan Johnson to end up at UNLV (where Jeter is as an Assistant) since his coach was fired.  It is a completely different thing for players to follow their coach who got 'promoted' to a Power 5 program, as it would indicate some type of behind-the-scenes talks.  Alec has not indicated that he will use the graduate transfer rule, and if he goes to Vandy within a few days of un-declaring from the draft, the NCAA would need to investigate. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015