• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 25, 2016, 10:06:53 AMIf he withdraws, and does nothing more, it's a de facto stay at Valpo decision.

I'm guessing that if he withdraws from the draft, and says nothing more, the _default_ becomes that he stays at Valpo. But, I still suspect that he could decide/announce a grad transfer later on.

I'm not sure when the annual scholarship agreements get inked.

Nor whether he'd even be _allowed_ to grad transfer before he finishes any necessary summer classes.

VULB#62

The main thing is that we have to get past today first.

VULB#62

[tweet]735500844200824832[/tweet]

It is PAST 10:59AM.  Now assuming deadline must be 10:59PM.

[tweet]735502653002764288[/tweet]

NBC Sports
[tweet]735502358617034752[/tweet]

[tweet]735503329397067776[/tweet]

valpotx

I believe that he can't state his intent to use the Graduate Transfer rule, until he graduates, so we will only hear about the NBA draft today.  When does the summer session end?  Hopefully it is late June, so more spots get filled at P5 schools.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

[tweet]735514812285878272[/tweet]

HUH???

Sometimes I hate Twitter.

usc4valpo

he would be an idiot if he declared himself for the NBA draft.

elephtheria47

I guess i should have clarified. I wasn't expecting a final decision or announcement today.....just kind of seeing what the board was thinking his ultimate decision would be before the first , may be only, announcement.

elephtheria47

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 25, 2016, 12:29:00 PM
he would be an idiot if he declared himself for the NBA draft.

I would tend to agree too, but there's a reason why he still hasn't announced a decision when most of all the other players already announced. You just never know the feedback he received.

valpotx

I believe that he worked out for 5 teams, correct?  One of those teams may have given him strong indications that they like his skill set for their system.  I truly hopes he gets drafted, but in a worst case scenario, gets better at Valpo over 1 more season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on May 25, 2016, 12:43:00 PM
I believe that he worked out for 5 teams, correct?  One of those teams may have given him strong indications that they like his skill set for their system.  I truly hopes he gets drafted, but in a worst case scenario, gets better at Valpo over 1 more season.

Seems like if he goes late in the draft, he'd be fighting for a roster spot at best, or maybe even fighting for a D league spot, with reasonable chances of going to Europe anyway...

What fraction of draft picks actually play minutes in the NBA? I've begun to assume it's only around 50%, or less.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 25, 2016, 12:27:44 PM
[tweet]735514812285878272[/tweet]

HUH???

Sometimes I hate Twitter.

But it gets you quick clarifications, sometimes, too!

Paul clarifies on Twitter that, at the time, Peters was one of six remaining players who had yet to announce "in or out".

Not sure who the clearinghouse is.

valpotx

He is now one of the last 5 to make a decision
"Don't mess with Texas"

firedupkaren

Quote from: bbtds on May 24, 2016, 05:41:07 AM
I still believe that Irish Dawg is pushing a lot of Butler BS down our way so that he can feel even more superior about his school doing better than Valpo. So much of that argument is contrived BS! I will never understand why Butler people, like Irish Dawg, feel that Butler is so much more superior than Valpo. There is one coach in the HL that Butler never beat in 4 tries and that was Bryce Drew. Then they quit playing Valpo. Now that is a whole lot of BS!

Came over from the Butler board to see what you guys were thinking about Peters and saw this gem...

Couple notes...

1.  Butler played a Bryce Drew coached Valpo team three times (unless there was some time when Bryce filled in for Homer I don't recall).  All three of those games were in the 2011-12 season, one of Butler's worst in the past 20 years...so kudos to that one.  I'm sure Bryce has a plaque in his office commemorating that accomplishment...

2.  How is Butler's basketball program not objectively superior to Valpo's?  I'm not trying to be a dick, but what's one measure where you would say Valpo > Butler?

Conference Affiliation?
NCAA Tournament Births?
NCAA Tournament Wins?
All-Time H2H Record?
Attendance?
Facilities?

I personally just hope Peters doesn't end up in Bloomington.

valpotx

The Butler board can debate about Peters all it wants, but he will not end up there.  It is P5 or bust, if he leaves Valpo for another school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: firedupkaren on May 25, 2016, 01:42:41 PM1.  Butler played a Bryce Drew coached Valpo team three times (unless there was some time when Bryce filled in for Homer I don't recall).  All three of those games were in the 2011-12 season, one of Butler's worst in the past 20 years...so kudos to that one.  I'm sure Bryce has a plaque in his office commemorating that accomplishment...

Indeed, Bryce has only been the head coach against Butler three times, 3-0. The fourth win in the Valpo win streak was in January 2011, while Homer was still head coach, and Bryce only Associate. I think Butler had a decent team that year. And, I suspect Bryce had some significant involvement with that Valpo team.

I still regret not driving down to Hinkle for the 2011-2012 away game. I seriously considered it at the time.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on May 25, 2016, 02:06:12 PM
Quote from: firedupkaren on May 25, 2016, 01:42:41 PM1.  Butler played a Bryce Drew coached Valpo team three times (unless there was some time when Bryce filled in for Homer I don't recall).  All three of those games were in the 2011-12 season, one of Butler's worst in the past 20 years...so kudos to that one.  I'm sure Bryce has a plaque in his office commemorating that accomplishment...

Indeed, Bryce has only been the head coach against Butler three times, 3-0. The fourth win in the Valpo win streak was in January 2011, while Homer was still head coach, and Bryce only Associate. I think Butler had a decent team that year. And, I suspect Bryce had some significant involvement with that Valpo team.

I still regret not driving down to Hinkle for the 2011-2012 away game. I seriously considered it at the time.

You could say they had a decent team that played in the national championship game that March.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Another announcement made a few minutes back, and Peters is now in the last 4 to make a decision
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/735560546968326145

My guess is that if Alec is returning to college, he will file the necessary paperwork at the last minute via fax, then announce tomorrow.  If he is staying in the NBA draft, he'll announce that and his agent tomorrow. 

Just guessing.

With our schedule having a game at Kentucky, I hope that he returns to Valpo for his senior year - then battles the Kentucky team on national tv.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on May 25, 2016, 02:25:05 PMYou could say they had a decent team that played in the national championship game that March.

Well, they did lose.  :rotfl:

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on May 25, 2016, 03:12:05 PM
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/735560546968326145

My guess is that if Alec is returning to college, he will file the necessary paperwork at the last minute via fax, then announce tomorrow.  If he is staying in the NBA draft, he'll announce that and his agent tomorrow. 

Just guessing.

With our schedule having a game at Kentucky, I hope that he returns to Valpo for his senior year - then battles the Kentucky team on national tv.

Well, from strictly a publicity perspective, this is one way to keep your name in front of NBA people till the very last minute:   "Valpo's Alec Peters the Last 2016 Collegian to Withdraw from the NBA Draft"   

bu_milksteak

Quote from: agibson on May 25, 2016, 03:16:36 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 25, 2016, 02:25:05 PMYou could say they had a decent team that played in the national championship game that March.
Well, they did lose.  :rotfl:

Yes, I'm sure it was hilarious seeing Butler lose in back-to-back National Championship games.

Rest assured...I'm pretty confident your team will not experience the pressures of back-to-back national title games for the foreseeable future.

agibson

Quote from: bu_milksteak on May 25, 2016, 04:03:43 PMYes, I'm sure it was hilarious seeing Butler lose in back-to-back National Championship games.

Nah, don't take me the wrong way.

I've been nothing but impressed by Butler. Even if I think it would be decent of them to renew our traditional rivalry.

I'd left the win over the national-runner-up team understated. Fearing that people missed my jest, I came at it a little stronger the second time around.

VULB#62

Sure would be nice if the athletic department were to call a press conference tomorrow where Alec announces that he has withdrawn from the NBA draft and that he will return to Valpo to complete some unfinished business -- lead the Crusaders deep into the NCAAT next season.

M

I'm not nearly as optimistic that he is coming back. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.