• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: bu_milksteak on May 25, 2016, 04:03:43 PM
Quote from: agibson on May 25, 2016, 03:16:36 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 25, 2016, 02:25:05 PMYou could say they had a decent team that played in the national championship game that March.
Well, they did lose.  :rotfl:

Yes, I'm sure it was hilarious seeing Butler lose in back-to-back National Championship games.

Rest assured...I'm pretty confident your team will not experience the pressures of back-to-back national title games for the foreseeable future.
[/b]

Agreed.  I'm also pretty sure your team won't be experiencing any conference championships, let alone back-to-back ones, in the foreseeable future.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

Quote from: vu72 on May 25, 2016, 05:07:35 PM
Agreed.  I'm also pretty sure your team won't be experiencing any conference championships, let alone back-to-back ones, in the foreseeable future.

Agreed. (Unless of course you're talking about Softball or Women's Soccer!  ;))

Some tweets from fans of other schools

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  9h9 hours ago
He still has to withdraw from the draft, and still has to decide to transfer, but Alec Peters would fit in mighty nice this season.  #mubb

VandySportsDotCom ‏@VandySportscom  9h9 hours ago
Check out our basketball notes @CoachDavidSisk dropping knowledge on Alec Peters and more https://vanderbilt.forums.rivals.com/threads/basketball-notes-for-may-25.28536/ ...

Notre Dame Hoops ‏@NDHoopsRecruits  10h10 hours ago
MBB: Valpo's 6-9 Alec Peters announces Thurs. if he's staying in Draft. 5th year may transfer. Eligible immediately. Good fit for ND.

Should be an interesting day either way.

M

Well, he withdrew...now the real fingernail biting begins.

agibson

Quote from: M on May 26, 2016, 07:49:41 AM
Well, he withdrew...now the real fingernail biting begins.

Still just "sources"? But certainly seems to be the case.

crusadermoe

Sure seems wisest for him to pull out.   

But yes, it is scary for the 5th year rule

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

DMvalpo18

First major hurdle out of the way! Now we collectively hold our breath to see what he decides next...

And you guys talking about Butler vs. Valpo basketball...You're being silly. Alec won't go to Butler. Let's drop it.

valpotx

In order for him to transfer, the program he moves to would need to feel comfortable turning over the keys to Alec on offense.  It makes no sense for Alec to transfer to be a 2nd or 3rd option.  Many people have been the star at a mid-major school, and gained just as much national attention as the P5 guys.  If you light it up as he can, he will get the looks from the NBA scouts.  His holes on offense will become much more evident at a P5, and he won't have the time to work on those holes as he would against the competition we play against.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Oren will have a story later today. My guess is that Alec will be looking at all of his options as he completes his degree. Until he finishes his course(s), we won't know anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

I hope that he can't graduate until after the second summer session.  That limits the opportunities even more, and gives him less time to get acclimated to a new school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on May 26, 2016, 09:16:10 AM
In order for him to transfer, the program he moves to would need to feel comfortable turning over the keys to Alec on offense.  It makes no sense for Alec to transfer to be a 2nd or 3rd option.  Many people have been the star at a mid-major school, and gained just as much national attention as the P5 guys.  If you light it up as he can, he will get the looks from the NBA scouts.  His holes on offense will become much more evident at a P5, and he won't have the time to work on those holes as he would against the competition we play against.
I agree. If he is to transfer, he needs to find a team that has an open scholarship, a need at the SF/PF position, where he has opportunity for 30+ minutes per game, an opportunity to score/rebound 17/9, and to take team from preseason ranking below 40 to top20.  Oh, and be on national TV weekly.

I am confidently hoping he returns to Valpo, gets Carter back, and a juco that can contribute this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on May 26, 2016, 09:16:10 AM

Totally agree. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Alec to learn a new system and share the star power for one season.  There are a bunch of mid-major guys in the NBA and if Alec truly has what they want he will be much more likely to be able to show it while playing for Valpo.

Alec:  Think about these "mid-majors",  Damien Lillard, Steph Curry, Paul George, Paul Millsap, Gordon Hayward, Kawahi Leonard, Doug McDermott...Shall I go on?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Do I understand that there was supposed to be a formal announcement today, or was it just that no one would no his decision about the draft until this morning?  I have to believe that if he doesn't announce that he will be back today or tomorrow, it implies that he is looking elsewhere, and I have to believe there would be interest.

I am willing to be convinced that I am wrong.
Beamin' Beacons

valpotx

He can't look elsewhere until he announces that he is using the graduate transfer rule, and he can't use that rule until he completes his classes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: humbleopinion on May 26, 2016, 10:07:56 AM
Do I understand that there was supposed to be a formal announcement today, or was it just that no one would no his decision about the draft until this morning?  I have to believe that if he doesn't announce that he will be back today or tomorrow, it implies that he is looking elsewhere, and I have to believe there would be interest.

I am willing to be convinced that I am wrong.
Don't know about a formal announcement.  He had until last night to tell the NBA/NCAA his intent on staying in the NBA draft or return to college.  His announcement of this decision wasn't expected until today, and confirmed by the Paul Oren tweet above.  Since he is scheduled to graduate this summer, he still has options for playing at the NCAA level next year.  Unfortunately for him, he can't declare his intent to be a graduate transfer until he has completed (or nearly completed) his coursework for graduation.  Once that happens, he can open up recruiting to a P5 team, although most scholarships/positions will be filled by then.  He is cautiously keeping his options open.  Wish him the best in these decisions.

VULB#62

The official Valpo Athletics release:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2015-16/15570/peters-withdraws-from-nba-draft/#.V0cp4lc4ko8

Makes no mention of future plans other than he retains a 4th year of collegiate eligibility.

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on May 26, 2016, 11:09:33 AM
...Since he is scheduled to graduate this summer, he still has options for playing at the NCAA level next year.  Unfortunately for him, he can't declare his intent to be a graduate transfer until he has completed (or nearly completed) his coursework for graduation.  Once that happens, he can open up recruiting to a P5 team, although most scholarships/positions will be filled by then.  He is cautiously keeping his options open.  Wish him the best in these decisions.

If the understanding is correct that AP cannot declare his intent until he finishes further coursework, then the dates to keep in mind are June 24 and August 5. The summer mini-session ends on June 24. The rest of summer school concludes on August 5. If Peters has to wait until then and does transfer, it would seem unfair to Valpo and Coach Lottich to have to react to this decision by recruiting in mid-August. I'm sure Lottich would like to have all his roster settled by the beginning of the second mini-session of summer school at the end of June to let players get in some classes and be on campus for conditioning. Also, as has been mentioned, most programs will have filled their spots by August unless one of them knew in advance that Alec was going to transfer to their school, which would raise ethical questions about how that knowledge was obtained. I also wish Alec the best as he makes his decision (and it would be great if he comes back to VU), but for the sake of the team, I hope he states his plans definitively sooner rather than later.

NativeCheesehead

The dates aside.....IMO,  If he doesn't definitively say in the next couple of weeks he's coming back, he's not coming back. 

M

I could see him not saying anything and just returning. He doesn't seem  too concerned about publicity and announcements.

VU2624

There's nothing grandiose about simply saying "I'm returning to Valpo" and having it as part of the short release today.

My gut feeling is that the fact that he hasn't said that means he's highly likely to not return to Valpo. Unless he's been granted a release (which may have been or will be granted behind the scenes), he hasn't been able to "look around" the college landscape. Once he's got his credits in the books he will then move to graduate transfer status and he's free to look around. The fact that he's probably exercising that option means he's probably not coming back.

valpotx

I highly doubt we would have given him any type of release in order to investigate his options now.  That would make absolutely no sense for VU.  As I stated before, if he decides on a program within a few days of putting in his graduate transfer request, the NCAA needs to investigate.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Cleveland Cavs starting lineup -- Lebron (St Vincent/St Mary's HS), JR Smith (High School), Tristan Thompson (Texas, early exit), Kevin Love (UCLA, early exit), Kyrie Irving (Duke, 18 games).

Bench: Delly (St Mary's 4 years), Shumpert (Georgia Tech, 3 years). Richard Jefferson (Arizona, 3 years), Channing Frye (Arizona, 4 years), Mozgov (Russia)

Toronto Starting: Kyle Lowery (Villanova 2 yrs), Demar DeRozan (USC 1 yr), Bismack Biyombo (Congo), Luis Scala (Argentina), Demarre Carrol (Mizzu (2 + redshirt)/Vandy (2))

Bench: Patrick Patterson (Kentucky, 3 yrs), Big Euro Dude (Lithuania), Cory Joseph (Texas, 1 year Canadian), James Johnson (Wake Forest 4 years)

These are the players I saw last night while at the NBA ECF.  Not one "grad transfer.."  Saw only a couple 4 year players and the rest were generally HS, 3 or less and done, or foreign players.  Alec's best chances for an NBA career are staying with Valpo and be a star player working on other aspects of his game. McDermott, Butler, Curry, Delly, Norris Cole and others have made it, but none were graduate transfers.  If you are looking for a different scenery or you are looking for more minutes or something else it might make more sense, but the NBA knows who he is and what he can do. And they likely said: (i) extend your range, (ii) improve your defensive footwork and speed (lose another 5-8 lbs), (iii) improve your strength and (iv) add some go to low post scoring moves.  Watch Mike Dunleavy (4 years Duke) and Kyle Korver (4 years Creighton).

By the way, some enterprising sports journalist should maybe study whether the grad transfer rule has helped players "prepare better" for the NBA or has it improved their overseas opportunities. There's now about 5 years of data somewhere.

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160514/160519611/the-revolving-door---college-basketball-transfer-rates-keep-rising

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-division-i-graduate-transfers
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpo84 on May 26, 2016, 01:43:55 PM
Cleveland Cavs starting lineup -- Lebron (St Vincent/St Mary's HS), JR Smith (High School), Tristan Thompson (Texas, early exit), Kevin Love (UCLA, early exit), Kyrie Irving (Duke, 18 games).

Bench: Delly (St Mary's 4 years), Shumpert (Georgia Tech, 3 years). Richard Jefferson (Arizona, 3 years), Channing Frye (Arizona, 4 years), Mozgov (Russia)

Toronto Starting: Kyle Lowery (Villanova 2 yrs), Demar DeRozan (USC 1 yr), Bismack Biyombo (Congo), Luis Scala (Argentina), Demarre Carrol (Mizzu (2 + redshirt)/Vandy (2))

Bench: Patrick Patterson (Kentucky, 3 yrs), Big Euro Dude (Lithuania), Cory Joseph (Texas, 1 year Canadian), James Johnson (Wake Forest 4 years)

These are the players I saw last night while at the NBA ECF.  Not one "grad transfer.."  Saw only a couple 4 year players and the rest were generally HS, 3 or less and done, or foreign players.  Alec's best chances for an NBA career are staying with Valpo and be a star player working on other aspects of his game. McDermott, Butler, Curry, Delly, Norris Cole and others have made it, but none were graduate transfers.  If you are looking for a different scenery or you are looking for more minutes or something else it might make more sense, but the NBA knows who he is and what he can do. And they likely said: (i) extend your range, (ii) improve your defensive footwork and speed (lose another 5-8 lbs), (iii) improve your strength and (iv) add some go to low post scoring moves.  Watch Mike Dunleavy (4 years Duke) and Kyle Korver (4 years Creighton).

By the way, some enterprising sports journalist should maybe study whether the grad transfer rule has helped players "prepare better" for the NBA or has it improved their overseas opportunities. There's now about 5 years of data somewhere.

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160514/160519611/the-revolving-door---college-basketball-transfer-rates-keep-rising

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-division-i-graduate-transfers

I don't believe there were any grad transfers in the 2015 draft (Joseph Young of Oregon is the only transfer that I know for sure that got drafted at all), but generally speaking, if you haven't made it to the NBA draft by your 4th year of eligibility, chances are you aren't going to make it.  Of the 4 year guys that you listed, while most did stay all 4 years of school at one place (if you are talking about Seth Curry, he transferred to Duke after a year or two at Liberty, Steph Curry played 3 years at Davidson), I don't know that any of them were even in a position to graduate and transfer their final year, so it's kind of a moot point.  Additionally, both McDermott and Butler (Butler especially) were already playing in "power leagues" by their 4th seasons, so there wouldn't be nearly as much of an argument to be made for changing leagues.

VU2624

Quote from: valpotx on May 26, 2016, 12:53:44 PMI highly doubt we would have given him any type of release in order to investigate his options now.  That would make absolutely no sense for VU.  As I stated before, if he decides on a program within a few days of putting in his graduate transfer request, the NCAA needs to investigate.

I think a release is unlikely as well. My overall point is that if it were his intention to come back currently, he'd have already said it and not just leave it lay as the one poster suggested.